Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to extend contract of GM Chris Ballard

MTC

39 minutes ago, MTC said:

Very much a no brainer. One of the GMs in football gets a well-deserved extension.

If Irsay didn’t re-sign him, Ballard would have another GM job before supper.

I’ve been told (by a beat writer for another team who I’ve known for many years) that Chris Ballard is regarded among both NFL execs and agents as one of the 3 or 4 best GMs in the league.

Sign him for another 10 years.... Seriously how man mainstays do we have on this team now because of him?

Mack, Hines, JT, Nelson, Glowinski, Smith, Buckner, Stewart, Willis, Blackmon, Sanchez, Blankenship, Pittman, Leonard etc. These are all incredible players that would all be starting on pretty much any team in the league. He's had far more hit then misses and has built this team correctly

13 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

He’s done great. Colts have such a complete team because of him

Yep. It would be like the Seahawks learning from Russell Wilson that he is retiring just before the season started, and still building a team that is competitive and make the right moves to get them back to 11-5 the next season. That was the hand Ballard was dealt with w.r.t Andrew Luck and he recovered from it pretty darn well, IMO. The team still has holes but you feel like you could insert most competent QBs with our OL strength and have a balanced offense.

Built the team inside out like a very good GM should, managed the cap well, and has done a good job giving the head coach and DC the pieces that fit in their system for the most part. He also has maintained good relationships with everyone around to maintain positive vibes and has the long term picture in mind all the time.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. It would be like the Seahawks learning from Russell Wilson that he is retiring just before the season started, and still building a team that is competitive and make the right moves to get them back to 11-5 the next season. That was the hand Ballard was dealt with w.r.t Andrew Luck and he recovered from it pretty darn well, IMO. The team still has holes but you feel like you could insert most competent QBs with our OL strength and have a balanced offense.

Built the team inside out like a very good GM should, managed the cap well, and has done a good job giving the head coach and DC the pieces that fit in their system for the most part. He also has maintained good relationships with everyone around to maintain positive vibes and has the long term picture in mind all the time.

I hate to harken back to Andrew Luck. If he were still the QB, this is a SB caliber group. It still pains me that his retirement happened that way. Like you said, this team can plug in a QB and be super competitive. I was against the Rivers signing. He’s exceeded my expectations though. However, I feel the Colts have to get a better QB to win the SB. I’ll eat my words if Rivers can go on a run. I’d love to be wrong

28 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I hate to harken back to Andrew Luck. If he were still the QB, this is a SB caliber group. It still pains me that his retirement happened that way. Like you said, this team can plug in a QB and be super competitive. I was against the Rivers signing. He’s exceeded my expectations though. However, I feel the Colts have to get a better QB to win the SB. I’ll eat my words if Rivers can go on a run. I’d love to be wrong

But any group with Luck was a SB caliber group.  I mean, there is having to beat Mahomes now and Brady then, but other than that, its about the same without Luck.  Good with a good Rivers QB, bad with a bad JB QB.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But any group with Luck was a SB caliber group.  I mean, there is having to beat Mahomes now and Brady then, but other than that, its about the same without Luck.  Good with a good Rivers QB, bad with a bad JB QB.

The Grigson era squads weren’t complete teams. Those teams definitely overachieved. That was solely because of Andrew. The Ballard era teams are balanced. The Colts would be just as good as the Chiefs if Luck were still the QB. That’s how great Ballard has built this team

Just now, Luck is Good said:

The Grigson era squads weren’t complete teams. Those teams definitely overachieved. That was solely because of Andrew. The Ballard era teams are balanced. The Colts would be just as good as the Chiefs if Luck were still the QB. That’s how great Ballard has built this team

IDK, its tough to play what ifs.  IIRC, the Colts made the playoffs every year of Luck's career when he was healthy.  It kind of transcends GMs.

Its tough to compare us with Luck to KC.  KC would still have much more of a potent offense with Hill, and Kelce.  TY isn't the same and JT really isn't the threat KCs players are.  We have Buck, they have Chris Jones.  

Has no bearing on whether or not to extend Ballard though.  We don't have Luck, and its still the right move.  And he may never find a Luck like QB, and it would still be the right move.

He has lived up to his preceding rep. There've been a few hiccups in his judgment but overall, he's been superb. And i know he still has some doubters but I think he and Frank Reich will ascend to godly levels once they get their QB.  If Ballard and Reich had the opportunity to have drafted Luck, i have little doubt they'd have won a SB by now (even with Brady in the conference)

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IDK, its tough to play what ifs.  IIRC, the Colts made the playoffs every year of Luck's career when he was healthy.  It kind of transcends GMs.

Its tough to compare us with Luck to KC.  KC would still have much more of a potent offense with Hill, and Kelce.  TY isn't the same and JT really isn't the threat KCs players are.  We have Buck, they have Chris Jones.  

Has no bearing on whether or not to extend Ballard though.  We don't have Luck, and its still the right move.  And he may never find a Luck like QB, and it would still be the right move.

I don’t disagree with any of that. Ballard is great. Colts are a well balanced team because of him. It’s a well deserved extension

51 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

:agree:

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would he not?

Only because of the Andrew Luck situation. There's a small possibility he could of wanted to sign with a team with an established QB like the Texans after his contract ran out. Just an unwarranted worry though, but it was in back of my head at times.

Archived