Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich’s offensive rankings in 3 seasons with 3 different QBs (impressive) (Merge)

zibby43

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Not bad for a terrible play-caller (sarcasm intended).

He just does some weird stuff.  It's really really well weird.  He puts JB in for two plays on 2nd and 11 on the first drive of the 2nd half when he hasn't done that all year in a must win game that we were rolling in.  I think it really hurt the momentum and PR didn't look happy about it when they showed him.

There is no football reason for JB to come in there.    I am starting to wonder if Brissett is Frank's love child.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He just does some weird stuff.  It's really really well weird.  He puts JB in for two plays on 2nd and 11 on the first drive of the 2nd half when he hasn't done that all year in a must win game that we were rolling in.  I think it really hurt the momentum and PR didn't look happy about it when they showed him.

There is no football reason for JB to come in there.    I am starting to wonder if Brissett is Frank's love child.

Alluding to Rivers not looking happy, I might be overthinking this point I’m about to make. If the Colts lose wild card weekend, Rivers might just be done. I know he’s 39 years old but maybe there’s a disconnect with him and Reich

Seems from the rankings like this season had the most balanced offense (passing vs. running) of the three, but numbers tell you far less than a lot of people think they do. So since I didn't follow this team's every game before this season, what do those of you who did think about that? Is that true? Was this year's offense the most balanced of Reich's three here?

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

Alluding to Rivers not looking happy, I might be overthinking this point I’m about to make. If the Colts lose wild card weekend, Rivers might just be done. I know he’s 39 years old but maybe there’s a disconnect with him and Reich

Maybe, but being a HOF player that has guided this team to an excellent record, and then being yanked off the field with a 20 point lead in favor of a slow read option QB might of contributed to it.

OR he might just have had to fart.  

However, I can't imagine that any QB that hadn't played his way out of the starting role would have been happy with that just inexplicable move.

I can' t even come up with a scenario as to how you could justify that boneheaded coaching move.

I think we had tremendous balance this year more than Luck or JB's year in 2018 or 2019.

The main issue has been the ability to sustain a good floor across all 4 quarters. I remember Luck putting up points in the 2013 divisional round game at Foxboro to keep pace with Brady but there was a period in the 3rd quarter where our drives stalled 3 consecutive times and the Patriots scored at least 2 TDs in there to pull away.

Bottom line, we just cannot go into a huge lull against good offensive teams.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think we had tremendous balance this year more than Luck or JB's year in 2018 or 2019.

The main issue has been the ability to sustain a good floor across all 4 quarters. I remember Luck putting up points in the 2013 divisional round game at Foxboro to keep pace with Brady but there was a period in the 3rd quarter where our drives stalled 3 consecutive times and the Patriots scored at least 2 TDs in there to pull away.

Bottom line, we just cannot go into a huge lull against good offensive teams.

It's happened a few times this year.  Balt, yesterday, Pitt.  Probably a few others.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

It's happened a few times this year.  Balt, yesterday, Pitt.  Probably a few others.

Even if we get only a FG, it is fine, we would have at least gotten a few first downs and moved the ball. Just cannot have just a first down and out or 3 and out, otherwise hurts the D when it comes to crunch time as the D will get worn down in the 3rd/4th quarters without fresh legs if they stay on the field too long.

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I had an epiphany yesterday. This is not Frank Reich making weird play calls. This is part of the gameplan.

There is a philosophical decision to use JB in these situations, seemingly without concern for the impact it can have on any offensive rhythm, particularly with your veteran QB (who has never been used in a time split). These moves have been successful a high percentage of the time, so it's hard to complain too much about it, but I'm not a huge fan of this strategy.

I've had problems with Reich's play calling at various times over the last three years. I think he sometimes struggles to get into and maintain a rhythm as a play caller. I think he sometimes misses some opportunities for adjustments when the offense is sputtering (KC playoff game, for example).

But I think this is different. The offensive staff has evidently determined that this is a good strategy for the team, and I think their confidence in it has been boosted because it's been successful, so when these situations come up, it's basically already determined that they're going to the JB play sheet. Go back to the first Texans game, it looked to me like Rivers and JB were ready for the change, then Reich kept Rivers on the field. 

31 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Breaking: Potential HOF QB retires because he was pulled from the field on a random snap. I don’t blame him.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I had an epiphany yesterday. This is not Frank Reich making weird play calls. This is part of the gameplan.

There is a philosophical decision to use JB in these situations, seemingly without concern for the impact it can have on any offensive rhythm, particularly with your veteran QB (who has never been used in a time split). These moves have been successful a high percentage of the time, so it's hard to complain too much about it, but I'm not a huge fan of this strategy.

I've had problems with Reich's play calling at various times over the last three years. I think he sometimes struggles to get into and maintain a rhythm as a play caller. I think he sometimes misses some opportunities for adjustments when the offense is sputtering (KC playoff game, for example).

But I think this is different. The offensive staff has evidently determined that this is a good strategy for the team, and I think their confidence in it has been boosted because it's been successful, so when these situations come up, it's basically already determined that they're going to the JB play sheet. Go back to the first Texans game, it looked to me like Rivers and JB were ready for the change, then Reich kept Rivers on the field. 

I don't agree with this.  JB has been brought in in short yardage situations, not 2nd and 11 with a 20 point lead in the 2nd half of a must win game.

Most of the rest of the post I agree with. 

But JB was never brought in this year in this type of situ.  

Frank’s IMO one of the strangest play callers just to watch! Getting three and outs doesn’t help but that’s not necessarily on Frank.

I’m actually all for frank, think he’s a damn good head coach. 

Ask  everyfan a day after a game if their happy 100%.

if the good outweighs the bad which for me it dose I’m all for it.

Go Frank, Go Colts.

Reich has made several questionable plays this year and been shredded for it. There was 1 he called against the Jaguars (JB run) but for the most part he did a great job. 

I love that Reich takes risks on 4th down but he took the points this time instead. 

I think his biggest issue is trying too hard. He has potential to be one of the best but he also needs this team to play a full 60 minutes.

Biggest thing Sunday is even during the struggle he stuck with the run. If Colts get any kind of lead against Bills it is very important to burn the clock and keep Allen on sidelines. 

I honestly think if Colts play their best for 60 full minutes they could beat anybody. 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't agree with this.  JB has been brought in in short yardage situations, not 2nd and 11 with a 20 point lead in the 2nd half of a must win game.

Most of the rest of the post I agree with. 

But JB was never brought in this year in this type of situ.  

That's fair. I guess it struck me that when they bring JB in, there's a reason, it's not just a Frank Reich whim.

• Nadine changed the title to Reich has the potential to be one of the best
4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Reich has made several questionable plays this year and been shredded for it. There was 1 he called against the Jaguars (JB run) but for the most part he did a great job. 

I love that Reich takes risks on 4th down but he took the points this time instead. 

I think his biggest issue is trying too hard. He has potential to be one of the best but he also needs this team to play a full 60 minutes.

Biggest thing Sunday is even during the struggle he stuck with the run. If Colts get any kind of lead against Bills it is very important to burn the clock and keep Allen on sidelines. 

I honestly think if Colts play their best for 60 full minutes they could beat anybody. 

:corner:

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

i think its more them trying to justify the whole keeping JB thing and his salary.  Plus it does sometimes work as Rivers can't sneak it.

21 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Breaking: Potential HOF QB retires because he was pulled from the field on a random snap. I don’t blame him.

they were talking this morning, i guess one of the sideline reporters caught them working on River's shoe during that series.  They think it was just an equipment issue with River's shoes and the padding he's using for his foot injury.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i think its more them trying to justify the whole keeping JB thing and his salary.  Plus it does sometimes work as Rivers can't sneak it.

There is no question about why he comes in on short down situations for QB sneaks, though. 

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I agree that we can beat anyone. We have the talent. The trick is getting all phases to play lights out for 60 minutes. Reich designs great plays, but the QB and competitor in him gets the best of him some times. If he can get his play calling and decision making to line up with the pulse of the game he could be great. He needs to figure out more than ever. If he goes into next year pulling the same style he could be in the hot seat. If he gets it under control we could have a superbowl caliber franchise for years to come.

• Nadine changed the title to Reich’s offensive rankings in 3 seasons with 3 different QBs (impressive) (Merge)
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's fair. I guess it struck me that when they bring JB in, there's a reason, it's not just a Frank Reich whim.

You'd hope so wouldn't you, but man I think you have to go pretty far down a wormhole to come up with a scenario to bring JB in on 2nd and 11 at that time IMO.

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think so to. Been saying it for a while. 

The sneak makes since. JB is big and strong, but the option stuff is goofy.  I'm not opposed to that but not with JB.  Rivers might be the only QB slower than him in the league.  Get a guy who can do that if you want.  There are guys out there that could be the option QB if they could contribute on special teams but they are playing Jb like he's Tim Tebow.  Hell see if Tebow wants to play again if that's what you want to do.  He's really good at those plays.

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

they were talking this morning, i guess one of the sideline reporters caught them working on River's shoe during that series.  They think it was just an equipment issue with River's shoes and the padding he's using for his foot injury.

Well OK then.  I hadn't heard that before.

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Frank is setting up big play for Brissett on one of those 3d and 1 for example. They will line up for a sneak/run play with Brissett and when the defense is drawn in, Brissett will run play action and make a throw attempt on a long play. IMO he's been setting this up all year long. Feels like it's been run play/sneak almost 100% of the time when Brissett lines up on short yardage situation. I expect it to happen sometime in the playoffs. The question is... if I'm thinking it... wouldn't the Bills be prepared for it too? It's kind of way too elaborate and long-game play and it becomes somewhat obvious... 

Reich is a good coach.  . . But it would be nice if we didn't have so many games where the offense in the 2nd half can't move the ball.  

That said I'm not about to think that there is automatically a better coach out there.   Too many people seem to think that great head coaches grow on trees.  

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Frank is setting up big play for Brissett on one of those 3d and 1 for example. They will line up for a sneak/run play with Brissett and when the defense is drawn in, Brissett will make a throw attempt on a long play. IMO he's been setting this up all year long. Feels like it's been run play/sneak almost 100% of the time when Brissett lines up on short yardage situation. I expect it to happen sometime in the playoffs. The question is... if I'm thinking it... wouldn't the Bills be prepared for it too? It's kind of way too elaborate and long-game play and it becomes somewhat obvious... 

BOOM!!   ^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^

Have you been crawling around inside my head with a flashlight?!?    I’ve had that same thought for a while as well!!      :thmup:

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That would make sense.

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Frank is setting up big play for Brissett on one of those 3d and 1 for example. They will line up for a sneak/run play with Brissett and when the defense is drawn in, Brissett will run play action and make a throw attempt on a long play. IMO he's been setting this up all year long. Feels like it's been run play/sneak almost 100% of the time when Brissett lines up on short yardage situation. I expect it to happen sometime in the playoffs. The question is... if I'm thinking it... wouldn't the Bills be prepared for it too? It's kind of way too elaborate and long-game play and it becomes somewhat obvious... 

They ran a read option earlier this year. And JB isn't a fast guy, it worked because the defense crashed down and left the edge open.

There are a lot of counters they can run, but haven't yet. I hope they've held some of them back for higher leverage situations. But that trend is well established at this point. Yesterday they could have kept running their staple offense on that drive. 

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's not that he's a terrible playcaller. He's just inconsistent and certain personal on particular plays just don't make sense.

Nail hit squarely on head. And it's not just the offense, either. Both offensively and defensively this year, they've had games where they've made in-game adjustments that have been outstanding, and other games where they've made some that have been equally horrifying. And that spells exactly what you said - very inconsistent in-game adjustments.

You can look at that one way or the other. If they go on a run in the playoffs of great in-game adjustments, they certainly could win the whole thing. If they have one game, though, with awful moves, they're likely done for the year that day. Should be interesting to see which happens.

My take on Frank going to Brisset on that 2nd & 11 play is similar to some posts early but a little different as well.  I think Frank went to Jacoby because he REALLY WANTED to run the ball right then.  He said exactly that in his post game press conference.  I also took note that he didn't seem too ecstatic about winning and going to the playoffs (I'm sure he was but I'll get to why he wasn't outwardly showing it later). 

So, if you read between the lines, Frank was basically saying he went to Jacoby because he knew Jacoby would give the ball to Taylor whereas Phillip would have likely audibled to a pass.  He knew that we were in a position to put the game away with Taylor right then and he that's what he wanted the team to do.  Put the game away with Taylor.  I commend Frank for finally realizing that it is through Taylor that this team can achieve the ultimate goal this season.  Seems like Rivers sees things differently and is the reason Frank wasn't coming across as very happy to be in the dance in his press conference.  Frank feels he has to put in Jacoby in order to ensure that Taylor gets the ball when he wants him to.

Here is where the problem came in though.  Brisset (listening to Frank's orders to Run the Damn Ball) overthinks the plays.  First he forces it to Taylor when he probably could have kept it and ran for a BIG gain.  Taylor still almost broke it for a BIG gain himself but it was a missed opportunity.  So the next play Jacoby realizes he just missed an opportunity, so he overthinks it again and keeps it this time instead of actually giving it to Taylor regardless of the look because we were in 4 down mode anyway.  Jacoby got stuffed for a loss and we had to settle for the long field goal attempt.

So I don't blame Frank for going to Jacoby.  I put more of the blame on Jacoby for his lack of execution.  Same goes for when we went back to Jacoby on the 3rd and short.  This time Brisset is really over thinking things.  He screwed up the last series by not getting it to Taylor so he forces it to him when the sneak would have been the better choice...

Now, I'm not absolving Frank of all blame but I understand him reading the game and realizing Taylor has become the focal point of our offense.  The problem is his inability to get Rivers to see it as well.  You can't be trying to implement the change to Taylor being our focal point on game day.  You've gotta hammer that stuff down during the week so that everyone is on the same page which clearly Frank and Rivers are not completely in sync right now.

In fact, I think Rivers and Frank now have serious problems.  I think Frank finally realizes the importance of Taylor as our focal point and I think Rivers still feels that he should make the calls at the line and Frank should defer to his judgment and experience.  Rivers is an old school guy.  I can definitely see Phillip saying if the next game (like this last one) could be his last then he's gonna "do it his way"...   

This potential drama behind the scenes could make for an interesting Bills game this Saturday.  

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

His scripted plays have been great...the majority of our points have come in the first one and a half quarters lately.

It’s after those scripted plays when I get worried. He just seems to make a baffling move every now and then. 

It seems that once teams play to stop the run, the team stalls. I put more blame on the qb and passing game. 

Archived