Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baldy breaks down the JT TRAIN

Dogg63

I was just reviewing those plays and knew Baldy was going to use the same ones. Baldy saw it the same way I did. Veldheer did an excellent job of releasing the hook to avoid a penalty on the game winning run. 

Veldheer is a legitimate LT folks. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:I was just reviewing those plays and knew Baldy was going to use the same ones. Baldy saw it the same way I did. Veldheer did an excellent job of releasing the hook to avoid a penalty on the game winning run. 

Is it possible that run blocking could be better with him than AC? Rivers didn’t seem as comfortable but running game was ferocious. 

28 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is it possible that run blocking could be better with him than AC? Rivers didn’t seem as comfortable but running game was ferocious. 

Looking at the dude's physique, I'd say it's more like probable than possible.  But run blocking is not why LTs make the big bucks.  

He looks like a pretty good player still to me, I wonder if he's interested in playing next year.  If so, we should over pay and make sure we have him, regardless if AC returns or not. 

It was incredible to me that the dude could play the whole game.  He was encouraging.  

32 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

AC has been playing injured a lot this year. So it’s quite possible that our running game is upgraded with Veldheer. 

That said, I would take a healthy AC over most LTs in the game. 

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Looking at the dude's physique, I'd say it's more like probable than possible.  But run blocking is not why LTs make the big bucks.  

He looks like a pretty good player still to me, I wonder if he's interested in playing next year.  If so, we should over pay and make sure we have him, regardless if AC returns or not. 

It was incredible to me that the dude could play the whole game.  He was encouraging.  

Agree, absolutely incredible that he came off his couch and played the entire game. He turned down an offer to play for Texans earlier his year, right? So I assumed he wasn’t in playing shape but rather out of shape.  How many reps could he possibly have gotten before Sunday’s game? He will likely triple that before Bills game. 

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Why should Ballard over pay him? 

Offer him a fair price if he is interested in playing next season. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why should Ballard over pay him? 

Offer him a fair price if he is interested in playing next season. 

I think our need for a player like this justfies making sure we get him.  He isn't going to get a lot, so all I'm saying is make it worth his while to chose this team if he wants to play ball again.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think our need for a player like this justfies making sure we get him.  He isn't going to get a lot, so all I'm saying is make it worth his while to chose this team if he wants to play ball again.

What you are saying is not over paying him.

It was said he turned down the Texans so maybe he just liked the Colts better? 

After the fire bomb in that went on in Houston it could be he just wasn't interested or impressed? 

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After the fire bomb in that went on in Houston it could be he just wasn't interested or impressed? 

Well yeah.  I mean be willing to pay him a little more than maybe what you would normally if that gets him on the team.

3 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

This is one of the faults as having Rivers.  U need to have elite pass blockers and they r usually expensive. Run blockers easier and cheaper to sign. Thats why I would like a  more mobile qb.

If AC retires this would probably be a good one year replacement if there was another position we really wanted to go after in the draft. Say QB or DE in the first round.  It would allow us to not have to use that first round pick for a year. Still need a backup in a later round but if AC retires this might be a good option.

3 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I hope the Colts sign him for 2021 so we have some depth at tackle.

I hope so too.

I'm not sure if he came back for just a chance at a SB run or what? They said he had other offers he turned down. I don't know why he would have gone this long unsigned. Maybe he just refused to be a backup? 

4 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

No.   The reasons why the running game was so good yesterday are twofold....

1.   Our running game has been getting better and better as the season has gone.   The OL has gotten better, and the game has slowed down for Taylor.  A perfect recipe. 

2.   The Jags run defense is exceptionally poor.   They got badly exposed yesterday.

AC is a very good run blocking lineman.   We didn’t perform better because Valdeer is better than AC.   JV joined an O-Line that was peaking and played a bad opponent. 

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I was just reviewing those plays and knew Baldy was going to use the same ones. Baldy saw it the same way I did. Veldheer did an excellent job of releasing the hook to avoid a penalty on the game winning run. 

This could give us year pass on drafting a future left tackle if he wants to give us a year or two of play. Frees us up to maybe draft a QB to compete with Eason or go for DE or CB first round.

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

JT balled out. Let's not crown Veldheer as next year's starter. It's one game against the worst team in the league. He played well but this really isn't the best sample size to decide if he's going to play LT for us next year. 

Maybe this Saturday will tell...

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.   Our running game has been getting better and better as the season has gone.   The OL has gotten better, and the game has slowed down for Taylor.  A perfect recipe. 

2.   The Jags run defense is exceptionally poor.   They hit badly exposed yesterday.

AC is a very good run blocking lineman.   We didn’t perform better because Valdeer is better than AC.   JV joined an O-Line that was peaking and * played a bad opponent. 

Well, i think that was a perfect way for him to spin up on such short notice.  :hat:

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

JT balled out. Let's not crown Veldheer as next year's starter. It's one game against the worst team in the league. He played well but this really isn't the best sample size to decide if he's going to play LT for us next year. 

Right.  He may have retired for a reason and may not be able to handle a full season. A few games may be all his body can take at his age. 

Maybe he wanted to play on a good/nasty o line. A line with an attitude. Now for Taylor. Where are the posters who wanted to get rid of Taylor saying he was a bust earlier in the season. It take time to adjust to the pro game. The speed is different and all players are pro caliber unlike college. Taylor is a special player and the game has slowed down for him. Go Colts beat Buffalo

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It probably helped that he was born, raised, and currently lives in Grand Rapids.  Only about 3.5 hours from Indy.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, crazycolt1 said:

He has played in 2 SBs and lost.  I think the only reason for him to come back to the NFL is to go to the playoffs and having a shot at another SB... that wasn't in the cards for HOU.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, bigt said:

It probably helped that he was born, raised, and currently lives in Grand Rapids.  Only about 3.5 hours from Indy.

Yes, a recent article said that helped.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Bolts2Colts said:

Agree, absolutely incredible that he came off his couch and played the entire game. He turned down an offer to play for Texans earlier his year, right? So I assumed he wasn’t in playing shape but rather out of shape.  How many reps could he possibly have gotten before Sunday’s game? He will likely triple that before Bills game. 

i thought he said he chose the colts because they are very close to where he lives already .

On 1/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

2.   The Jags run defense is exceptionally poor.   They got badly exposed yesterday.

AC is a very good run blocking lineman.   We didn’t perform better because Valdeer is better than AC.   JV joined an O-Line that was peaking and played a bad opponent. 

I think this is all true. But Veldheer has been a great find. Just think back a couple of weeks ago to what the Colts were running out there at LT. Lets hope he can keep it up for a few more weeks!:default_20smile:

Archived