Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shame on Doug Pederson

dw49

There really should be a limit on messing up a game like Pederson did tonight. That was disgraceful and made absolutely no sense. League should fine Philly and take a draft pick away. That was really bad for the NFL...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I agree.  It was disgusting and a black eye to the integrity of the game. 

Like he actually needed to take a look at that QB. You bring the guy into camp in 2021and let him compete for a spot on the practice squad. There is no way in God's name that player needed to be evaluated in a close game that meant a playoff spot. The guy was inactive for I think 14 of the first 15 games. Some noodle armed statue that will 90% not be on an active roster next year. 

The way Pederson been coaching, playcalling,  etc..it's  like he's been laying down all year and tonight was no different.  Maybe he hates the Giants more than Washington? Who knows why he's now so incompetent. 

Regardless,  it's more evidence that Eagles are Dumster Fire and more reason to think Wentz's awful play is more on organization than himself. 

Crawler read Wentz wants trade and Colts among teams interested. 

I didn’t understand what he was doing until I saw how much a loss improved their draft position.  Then I realized oh that’s why he wants to lose.  Sadly bad teams will pull starters too if the coach knows he’s coming back.  

Still I listened all week to people say the Colts had no one to blame but themselves if they missed the playoffs.  If that was true of the Colts it was most definitely true of the Giants.  You want to make the playoffs win more than six games.  That might get you into the playoff in college but not the NFL.

Also that’s what NBC gets for picking an NFC east match up for the last primetime game of the season when there were so many great playoff type games to pick from today.  

I know reports say Pederson is safe but there is always one surprise firing and I am starting to wonder if it might be him.  I am betting his Super Bowl win buys him one more year though.  

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also that’s what NBC gets for picking an NFC east match up for the last primetime game of the season when there were so many great playoff type games to pick from today.  

Say no more.. wth were they thinking? They almost let a 6-10 team get into the playoffs, and you want us to see who that winner is in primetime?!

No Washington gets the Bucs...

I think it was just fine.  It's his team and if he thought getting a backup QB playing time, then he should do it.  He also got them the 6th pick in the draft as opposed to the 9th.  He did what was best for the team.  

Why isn't anyone complaining about the Steelers sitting most of their best players?   By throwing the game against the Browns, they kept a 10-6 Dolphin team out of the playoffs.  

Pederson was naming other guys that were still out there trying to win, including Ertz. Well, there was a play late in the game where Ertz stayed in to block, and just stood there and let the rusher go right past him to the QB, then turned and just watched. I was like "what the heck?"

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think it was just fine.  It's his team and if he thought getting a backup QB playing time, then he should do it.  He also got them the 6th pick in the draft as opposed to the 9th.  He did what was best for the team.  

Why isn't anyone complaining about the Steelers sitting most of their best players?   By throwing the game against the Browns, they kept a 10-6 Dolphin team out of the playoffs.  

I don't like it in either instance, but I understand that you can't control what someone else does, and they have the right to play who they want. It's why it's such a big deal when you hear "they control their own fate." When you have to rely on someone else, it's not good.

However, this was a bit glaring, and the Philly/NY hatred is real, which is fueling it.

Quite frankly, unless you're a Giants or WFT fan, it's all simply entertainment watching fans and players of a 6-10 team complaining about not getting in because another team blew it for you. YOU LOST 62.5% OF YOUR GAMES! YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

It was nothing but good for the Eagles, so I have to say KUDOS TO Pederson.

He got to see a bit of his backup QB in real action.

He improved his draft position from 9 to 6.  That is pretty huge. 

He poked the enemy (Giants).   

Just now, Myles said:

It was nothing but good for the Eagles, so I have to say KUDOS TO Pederson.

He got to see a bit of his backup QB in real action.

He improved his draft position from 9 to 6.  That is pretty huge. 

He poked the enemy (Giants).   

LOL, that's funny. And I have to admit, if he did what he did and it kept the Patriots out of the playoffs, I'd be applauding him too.

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

Same with many other teams.  The Chiefs and Steelers threw their games too.  

Totally different Imo. Chiefs and Steelers rested starters to prepare for their upcoming playoff game. This was a prime time game that meant a playoff spot. I've been watching football religiously since 196o and I've never seen a coach put a player like that in at QB late (4th quarter) in a 3 point game.

Well, Doug's/Eagles' plan was to let go of Carson Wentz and protect Jalen Hurts for the future, period. Maybe they felt Hurts was being harassed by the Redskins' D and it did not make sense for putting his future franchise QB in harm's way in a meaningless game, that is the ONLY logical thing I can think of after seeing how Hurts was being chased down by the Redskins' speedy D. 

Doug and the Eagles had no obligation to the league or NBC to let them know ahead of time that he wasn't going to play Hurts for 60 minutes, IMO.  That is what I think of it.

16 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Totally different Imo. Chiefs and Steelers rested starters to prepare for their upcoming playoff game. This was a prime time game that meant a playoff spot. I've been watching football religiously since 196o and I've never seen a coach put a player like that in at QB late (4th quarter) in a 3 point game.

The Steelers threw the game and it left the Dolphins out.  It can be argued that what the Eagles did will help them more in the future than the Steelers resting their good players did.   Eagles actions left a 6-10 team out and the Steelers actions left a 10-6 team out.  

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Exactly. Teams do what is in their best interest. The Eagles were able to move up 3 spots in the draft for a game that meant nothing in the standings for them.  Teams should always do what is in their best interest especially the last game of the season.

3 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Exactly. Teams do what is in their best interest. The Eagles were able to move up 3 spots in the draft for a game that meant nothing in the standings for them.  Teams should always do what is in their best interest especially the last game of the season.

Yep, the Eagles could end up with DeVonta Smith as their 6th pick in the draft.   Getting the best WR in the draft would be huge.  This loss will be regarded as a win for them.  

It was pretty ridiculous. But I can't feel bad for the Giants either. Nobody in the NFC East deserved to get to the playoffs. You have teams in the AFC at risk of not making the playoffs at 11-5, meanwhile you have an 8-8 and a 7-9 (potentially could have been 6-10...)team in the NFC playoffs. Probably the easiest opportunity to get in the playoffs that the NFL has seen.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s about culture. What a bad culture to create. 

I think it goes further to creating a winning culture.   Getting the 6th pick will do much more for the team than winning this game would have.

I know analysts like to harp on culture, but I think it is overrated.   They said the Dolphins ruined their culture last season and by trading away good players.  They had a good season this year and have the 3rd and 18th picks in the draft.   Also two 2nd round picks.  

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t understand what he was doing until I saw how much a loss improved their draft position.  Then I realized oh that’s why he wants to lose.  Sadly bad teams will pull starters too if the coach knows he’s coming back.  

Still I listened all week to people say the Colts had no one to blame but themselves if they missed the playoffs.  If that was true of the Colts it was most definitely true of the Giants.  You want to make the playoffs win more than six games.  That might get you into the playoff in college but not the NFL.

I know reports say Pederson is safe but there is always one surprise firing and I am starting to wonder if it might be him.  I am betting his Super Bowl win buys him one more year though.  

Owner may have forced Pederson to take the draft capitol. Either way it should be punishable.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I saw some Giants players carrying on about "the integrity of the game"... 

I lol'd

A 6-10 team feeling like they got jobbed and deserved a playoff game. 

I agree that a 6-10 team shouldn't feel that someone robbed them....   They put themselves in this position.   They did not play well enough to earn a playoff spot.   

I do agree with them about the integrity of the game.   If you're playing to "lose"   why show up at all?   Just forfeit.   It was pretty pathetic to watch it play out.   Maybe the Eagles fans are okay with it.     I, as a fan,  NEVER want my team to lose, let alone on purpose.    Why play?  Why watch?   

Archived