Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: rivers to return to Colts or retire

GoColts8818

7 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah but it is still an opinion. I can argue that the games where he did the best were against bad teams. Thus nullifying the statistics. Just take a look at the teams we beat, and look at the teams we lost to. I think that tells the best story. 

So your opinion is valid but others aren’t? How many years did Peyton put up massive numbers against the AFC South when we were the only good team? By that logic, six of our wins most seasons were against bad teams and those shouldn’t count, along with the stats. How many years in the past with Peyton and Andrew would we beat bad teams and lose to good teams but still had good numbers on offense and to a lesser degree defense? You’re literally cherry-picking and only validating your own narrative. You so badly want to be right that nothing said matters unless it comes from you. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really haven't seen it, he has had a few deep passes this year that have been on the money but that is your opinion of him so I won't debate it. The one to Pascal last week for a TD at Pitt was a laser.

My favorite part of that TD to Pascal was how Rivers navigated the pass rush and the pocket. It was a thing of beauty. He is far from a statue. 

9 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

We beat buffalo if we run the ball down their throats. If we have to rely on Rivers I think we lose. 

I don’t agree with your general arguments in this thread but I appreciate how you are making those arguments.  Civil, logocal and rational.  I don’t think rivers has the strongest arm but I wouldn’t say noodle.  Can he make all the throws, the deep out?  I don’t know.  Most of those are timing and not drilled in. 

as to the above, I think buff will load the box to stop jt and Hines.  We will have to rely on rivers but because they will sell out to stop the run he will have a lot of opportunities to exploit.  I think he gets it done.  

8 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don’t agree with your general arguments in this thread but I appreciate how you are making those arguments.  Civil, logocal and rational.  I do t think rivers has the strongest arm but I wouldn’t say noodle.  Can he make all the throws, the deep out?  I don’t know.  Most of those are timing and not drilled in. 

as to the above, I think buff will load the box to stop jt and Hines.  We will have to rely on rivers but because they will sell out to stop the run he will have a lot of opportunities to exploit.  I think he gets it done. 

do think 

Totally agree. Feel bad for posters who want to see no part of Rivers on Saturday lol. With our running game on fire, and Rivers looking a little shaky at times during the past two weeks, I think Buffalo will sell out to stop the run and put the game in Rivers’ hands. 

By Saturday night we will know what Rivers is made of.  

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

To be fair...by going 1-4 against ACF playoff teams...they did lose to all of the AFC playoff teams that they played. Which is why they needed help on Sunday to get in. 

Not debating that but the Bears and especially the Packers are still playoff teams even if they are the NFC.  

2 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Totally agree. Feel bad for posters who want to see no part of Rivers on Saturday lol. With our running game on fire, and Rivers looking a little shaky at times during the past two weeks, I think Buffalo will sell out to stop the run and put the game in Rivers’ hands. 

The Rivers "naysayers" are just saying that if the Bills stop the run, and force Rivers to throw, and he has to throw in a shoot out with little to no running game, they don't have faith in Rivers being able to take over and win in that scenario. 

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

No I'm  saying  noone knows how good he could be unless  he is given a chance to play. I said nothing  about Reich and Ballard messing up the  season. Eason was not given a real chance  to compete  due to limited reps and Brissett being paid so much.

Stephen....

Eason didn’t get a chance because he’s far behind the other two quarterbacks.    If you don’t believe me, you’ve got to believe Reich  and Ballard then.  

4 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Even if they sell out to stop the run I don't think they will be able too.  I would take our OL against their DL all day with our running game.  We will eventually wear them down and JT and Hines will break more than a few.  They are a heavy blitzing team.  Keep them 3rd and short as much as we can and we will be fine.  

Buffalo is ranked 26th i think, against the run... so i want to see a really heavy run game with some well timed play action, this weekend...and i also want to see Jacoby stay on the sidelines the whole game... he is a great guy and great teammate , but it just kills our momentum every time he comes into the game for our not so tricky trick plays... and when he kept it instead of giving it to JT on Sunday, it killed the drive when JT would have easily had the 1st down.

7 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

My favorite part of that TD to Pascal was how Rivers navigated the pass rush and the pocket. It was a thing of beauty. He is far from a statue. 

I loved that play too.  It reminded me of a dozen plays over the years where he made things happen.

Rivers has always been slippery in the pocket, a characteristic many have overlooked.  I remember seeing a mike'd up episode where defenders were miked playing against him and were tearing their hair out that they couldn't get to him.  He was never fast to begin with, so I don't think he's "lost a step" lol!  His awareness is key.  If given time and not run over from the blind side he's often able to slip out and continue the play.

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Buffalo is ranked 26th i think, against the run... so i want to see a really heavy run game with some well timed play action, this weekend...and i also want to see Jacoby stay on the sidelines the whole game... he is a great guy and great teammate , but it just kills our momentum every time he comes into the game for our not so tricky trick plays... and when he kept it instead of giving it to JT on Sunday, it killed the drive when JT would have easily had the 1st down.

He’s fine to run a sneak but they don’t need to expand the package beyond short yardage.

3 hours ago, ferrante9 said:

Rivers is hands down the best of all time.  we must capitalize on this window...and with rivers we can go on a 5 year dynasty  run. we should give him a 5 year  extension, max.

if brady can play at 44, and brees can play at 42, there's no reason why rivers couldn't play till 45.  he is way better than brady and brees combined.

he is a top of the line qb, the best of all time, and only rivers can take the colts to the superbowl. 

text wow GIF by Omer

8 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

He definitely has pocket awareness. He'll need it this weekend along with a quick release. I hope Frank comes up with some good short pass designs and Phil can play uptempo and keep Buffalo on their heels without having to risk deeper throws if not necessary.

14 hours ago, stitches said:

I fear what that game vs Buffalo will reveal. We lost every single important game against direct competitors in the AFC this year and most of them decisively - Browns(score closer than the game was), Ravens at home(blowout), must win vs Tennessee blowout... and the close game vs the Steelers who were reeling. We are currently a team that beats bad teams and struggles against every team that we will have to go through in the playoffs. 

We also swept the NFCN. We showed we could play vs good teams, and also showed we could lose to bad teams. IMO, we're simply inconsistent. And I think that goes primarily to game plan / prep / play calling / adjustments. 

With that said... I like this team... I think we actually have good talent here. I think we are close but we are not 1 player close unless it's a great QB. Don't take this as me crapping on Rivers. I was one of the few here who was advocating for the Colts to get him this year and I think he's done everything we could have asked him to do in this stage of his career. He's been good for this Colts team and he's helped us win games and that's the reason I wouldn't mind us getting him back for next season whether we get a new young QB from the draft or not. But the next stage is what's really important here - playing against the best teams in the league. How will that go... lets wait and see ...  

I think were only one or two away assuming we keep most of what we have. Rivers IMO was not even close to being one of the problems. Houston is aging but is still playing at a very high level. Autry has been very solid as well. I also think our CBs are better than they've shown, and a lot of the poor performance issues are due to scheme. They look much better when playing tighter, and look like dung when we go soft. Deep cover S is more of an issue for me, but Blackmon is young, and I'm hoping he improves in that area in year two.

I agree about the inconsistent playcalling though and I don't know what we can do about that. I don't want Frank fired, I just want him to have better feel and better rhythm of the game and playcalling. 

I'm concerned with both sides of the ball in terms of play calling. On O, I'd simply like to see those duties go to Nick. I know he's never called plays, but I'd like for him to get a shot for one year as long as he doesn't have a heavy thumb on him. 

On D, I'm not sure who is really responsible for our ultra conservative D. It's been discussed before, but Flus comes from teams that were more aggressive. Not sure if it's him, or if Reich has a hand in that too. In short though, no reason to be at a near league low blitzing % with our personnel, and no reason to play soft zone with so much frequency.

Hoping in the playoffs, we more aggressive and less predictable stuff on both sides. I absolutely think we have the talent to make a run and play with anyone. I'm just not sure strategy and play calling / adjustments are up to the task.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need a true shut down Corner or a solid pass rusher like a Freeney or Mathis then we would really be in business. I like Houston but he is older, he has his moments though but not enough and Buck controls the middle but we still lack getting pressure on the QB most games. I would blitz Leonard more but we rarely do.

As far as DEs are concerned, you also need to consider scheme. We stunted and blitzed more in those days. That's a huge advantage for DEs (to be unpredictable). Given our near league low in blitz %, I'd say Houston's 9.5 sack average over the last two years is pretty darn impressive, especially after adding Buckner.

As far a CB, not sure. We play a whole lot better when we're not in soft zone. When we play tighter zone and man, the DBs look much more effective. The LBs too. IMO, the scheme tweaks this year has led to the pass D taking a dive. Even Oke's PFF has plummeted (sub 50) after having a very good rook season. RYS was playing top 10 CB level last half of 2019 and he's now rating the same as Oke. In short, I think we have the personnel to look much better than we currently do. Indy radio spent a ton of time the last couple weeks talking about how bad our soft zone is, and how it's contributed to losses.  

Archived