Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor

danlhart87

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I brought it up in preseason, Taylor faster, Barkley a tad stronger but playing vs the same exact big 10 Defenses week to week Taylor's numbers dwarfed barkley's by quite a bit. Taylor had the better o line for sure but the difference between the two was noticeable.

I would say Barkley is shiftier though.  I just remember him in one of his last college games playing against Iowa (my college team) and the way he made people miss and the tackles he broke out of were amazing.  

I would take Barkely over Taylor straight up but I would say Taylor at a 2nd rd pick is better than Barkley with a top 5 pick.  

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Glad we have Taylor but in a way I see this as similar to the year TY lead the league in receiving.  It's indicative that we need a better #2.  

No. When you have a RB of that caliber he takes the load (Henry, Zeke, Cook, CMC, Jones, etc). WR is a completely different animal.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Curtis Martin suffered an Achilles injury in college, but nothing I can find shows to what extent. Please provide info showing it was major. As he injured it 10 games in sophomore year and played 1st game of the Junior year. Was likely a minor sprain/ or soreness, definitely not a full tear or rupture.

Brown? What did he do afterwards?

Bottom line is, Mack has his work cut out for him, to come back and have any kind of significant impact, and it is not likely.

To top that off, we really don't need him. If he wants to take league minimum non guaranteed, why not, otherwise there is no need when cap funds are already not very good.

Even with our cap space I don't see Mack returning unless it is the vet min.  He will not get many touches with JT now being the bell cow regardless.  For his own career it would be best for him to move on.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Even with our cap space I don't see Mack returning unless it is the vet min.  He will not get many touches with JT now being the bell cow regardless.  For his own career it would be best for him to move on.  

If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on him being a Jet next season.

36 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Glad we have Taylor but in a way I see this as similar to the year TY lead the league in receiving.  It's indicative that we need a better #2.  

I mean our two back ups combined for almost 700 rushing yards...

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I mean our two back ups combined for almost 700 rushing yards...

I would like to get a guy in like the 3rd or 4th to serve as a #2 back and take some of the load.  My big worry with Taylor at this point is running the tread out on the tires really early.  Guy had over 900 carries in college.  You add that in with us making him a bellcow back. . . Sounds to me like that could lead to a short career.  Of course we never know, but as a general rule it's good to avoid over-using your back.

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Depends on where hes at. Even with an Achilles hes a better back than Wilkins. We need an upgrade on Wilkins spot.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would like to get a guy in like the 3rd or 4th to serve as a #2 back and take some of the load.  My big worry with Taylor at this point is running the tread out on the tires really early.  Guy had over 900 carries in college.  You add that in with us making him a bellcow back. . . Sounds to me like that could lead to a short career.  Of course we never know, but as a general rule it's good to avoid over-using your back.

I would personally rather sign Mack back then draft another RB in your scenario

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Most teams would kill for Hines as their #2 back and unless you have Kareem Hunt at #2, then a back like JT is not sitting out drives. You can't afford to take your best weapon off the field for a good (or worse) backup.

We all thought Wilkins was a decent backup. When was the last time he had a touch? Hint: It correlates with JT becoming elite.

Backs generally burn out/slow down in late 20s regardless of touches. That's just the name of the game for backs, unfortunately. Get the most out of them while you can.

I challenge you guys to find me saying that the guy was going to be a bust.  You can keep looking and you won't find it.

He was not really very good running the ball until the GB game 3Q.  There were articles starting to come out about it.  There were stats that showed that he was the least elusive RB in the league with a the minimum of carries.  He was running right into piles.

Since then he's been great.

I don't agree that I was wrong.  I said I wasn't impressed with his running and he was neither statistically nor visually impressive running until a few weeks ago IMO.  Some of you guys freak out when someone is skeptical.  

They started running him downhill and he looks great.

I bought his jersey yesterday.  First one I have purchased since Freeney.

And BTW, I was dead wrong in 98.  I wanted the Colts to draft Leaf.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I challenge you guys to find me saying that the guy was going to be a bust.  You can keep looking and you won't find it.

He was not really very good running the ball until the GB game 3Q.  There were articles starting to come out about it.  There were stats that showed that he was the least elusive RB in the league with a the minimum of carries.  He was running right into piles.

I don't agree that I was wrong.  I said I wasn't impressed with his running and he was neither statistically nor visually impressive running until a few weeks ago IMO.  Some of you guys freak out when someone is skeptical.  

I defended you earlier and said you were starting to come around. I think its important that Taylor got his growing pains out early. 

Glad you showed up still. Is Jersey home or away?

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I defended you earlier and said you were starting to come around. I think its important that Taylor got his growing pains out early. 

Glad you showed up still. Is Jersey home or away?

White washes out my face, but blue really brings out the pretty color of my eyes.

Blue man.  Homer.

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Come on, man. Just take the L, we are all wrong sometimes. The fact is, you came around and saw how good he can be. You should be happy to be proven wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

instructional moonwalk GIF

52 minutes ago, twfish said:

I would personally rather sign Mack back then draft another RB in your scenario

I'm worried about the injury though.  An achilles tear is one of the toughest injuries to come back from.  Tougher than an ACL tear.  

I don't know of any football player who was ever the same after an achilles tear.  

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Either poor memory or a lie.

I'm just playing man.  If you knew me and then knew I bought the dude's jersey, you'd know that I am pretty stoked about what I am seeing from the kid.  I love running football.  I grew up in the 80s with a HS team that was 3 yds and a cloud of dust. 

Now I'm still not sure how effective overall running is going to be to win a championship, but it can't hurt.  

Kid has been fun to watch since GB game.  Frank is running him downhill. 

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm worried about the injury though.  An achilles tear is one of the toughest injuries to come back from.  Tougher than an ACL tear.  

I don't know of any football player who was ever the same after an achilles tear.  

I put an older article out about it.  Bascially, there has never been an effective RB come back from it.  There haven't been too many RBs get it, I think Vick Ballard was one.  There was the GB RB whose first name started with an E and a decent all purpose back from NYG. 

It is dubious to say the least for an RB to have this injury.  Some other positions have had people return productively.

Stephen Holden has some inside stories on Taylor on the one percent better podcast today. He talked about how Ballard called Taylor’s coach from WI when he was struggling. Asked him if there was anything they could do to help him. He said just leave him alone he will figure it out. Also talked about how he ran into Ballard yesterday after the game and how giddy he was. He goes Ballard says Jonathon fricking Taylor.  Lol 

Despite Reich's best efforts to vulture his TDs during the season...the man still finished with 11...and should have had a hat trick to end the season.

To be fair though...that was a stat-padding Week 17 game against a really bad run defense playing out the string. I am just glad that Reich finally let Taylor do it...because confidence is big at RB. Pretty unreal that it took Taylor this long to get this type of workload...when he is clearly the best weapon this team has.

My only complaint now is that I have no idea why they stopped targeting him in the passing game (that needs to change if they want to have a shot at beating BUF).

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stephen Holden has some inside stories on Taylor on the one percent better podcast today. He talked about how Ballard called Taylor’s coach from WI when he was struggling. Asked him if there was anything they could do to help him. He said just leave him alone he will figure it out. Also talked about how he ran into Ballard yesterday after the game and how giddy he was. He goes Ballard says Jonathon fricking Taylor.  Lol 

Hmm.  So Ballard thought Taylor was struggling.  For some on the vaunted Colts Message Board, Nickster was the only one that recognized his clear struggles until GB.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He wasn't struggling...he was a rookie RB getting yanked around by coaches who wanted to rotate RBs. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He wasn't struggling...he was a rookie RB getting yanked around by coaches who wanted to rotate RBs. 

No he was definitely struggling too. He obviously wasn't confident in his decision making and was running exactly where he was told the hole was going to be instead of where it actually opened. Not atypical for a rookie, of course

The Colts just wasted a second round pick on a RB from Wisconsin. We have Mack why draft Taylor? (See Colts stats for 01/03/21).

As is typical in the highlights little was made of the Colt's game and Taylor's stats yesterday because of Derrick Henry's numbers.

36 minutes ago, TheMose said:

No he was definitely struggling too. He obviously wasn't confident in his decision making and was running exactly where he was told the hole was going to be instead of where it actually opened. Not atypical for a rookie, of course

I think it was a combination of both.  Someone posted a very interesting article on here and it had statements from Taylor, Wilkins, Hines, & Rathman.  Taylor says that he was learning and adjusting to the game and just had to deal with the fact that he may go stretches without seeing the field.  

Also, he never had a training camp to gel with the offensive line.  So by Rathman not recognizing he had an every down back in Taylor & feeding him early & often to accelerate his growth & comfortability in the offense he chose to over rotate him and bring him along slowly.  I personally think bringing him along “slowly” actually cost us in 3 losses because we under used him. 

The good news now is that Taylor is probably as fresh as he’s ever gonna be at the end of football season.  So I say we give him 25-30 carries & 5-7 targets every playoff game and see how far he can get us.  Use him to open up things for Rivers and the rest of the offense. 

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Colts just wasted a second round pick on a RB from Wisconsin. We have Mack why draft Taylor? (See Colts stats for 01/03/21).

As is typical in the highlights little was made of the Colt's game and Taylor's stats yesterday because of Derrick Henry's numbers.

As good as Mack is Taylor has much more big play potential. Like we saw yesterday he can break for a TD at any time. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

As good as Mack is Taylor has much more big play potential. Like we saw yesterday he can break for a TD at any time. 

There's a reason he was drafted higher than Mack. Mack was a solid back but if Taylor continues this path he will far surpass Mack.

Archived