Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor

danlhart87

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Some team is going to be willing to bet on him making a full recovery and offer him a good deal. This “Mack will be cheap” narrative is a little too big for its own britches. He suffered an injury, not the loss of a limb, or something that he has no shot at coming back from. 

Actually no back has ever come back and been anywhere near as effective from his injury... ever

i love me some Mack too... but history isn’t on his side here

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I love me some Edge but JT is just as good if not better. Just keep a line in front of this guy. He fights for yards, and has improved his weak areas and is growing. 1 fumble all season and they said he wasnt capable of being a receiving back coming out of college. 

Edge led the league in rushing as a rookie. 

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes he did, but JT also didn't get that many carrys, or have Peyton Manning keeping the Defense honest either. I'm sure JT faced stacked boxes way more. Either way he is young but he has the it factor.

I misread it anyway.  I thought you were saying he was certainly better. Not as good or maybe better.  Can’t discredit first two years by James.  They were impressive.  

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Love Mack but Let Mack walk. Find another backup RB in the draft with some promise. Roll with Taylor, Hines, Wilkins and the new guy. 

I’d be fine bringing him back on a 1 year prove it deal / a heavily performance related contract, which could work out well for both sides. 

gives Mack a chance to prove he still got it after that injury, in a system he is comfortable with, and would give us another year of him with the upside of him potentially being part of a two headed monster attack.

if he ain’t what he was, then no harm and then let him walk.

8 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Actually no back has ever come back and been anywhere near as effective from his injury... ever

Adrian Peterson upon returning from his torn MCL (Maybe not the same injury, but a devastating injury, nevertheless)

2012. 16 GP 348 ATT 2,097 T.YDS 6.0 AVG 12 TDs 40 RCPTs 217 YDS 1 TD

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Best running back Colts have had since Edge and he’s just getting started.  

I look forward to next season with Rivers likely returning and Taylor & Mack (probably as the #2), with Hines as the change of pace/screen running back - add in Pittman with a year of experience under his belt and Mo Alie-Cox  getting more snaps with Doyle or Burton, or possibly both of them gone and this offense could really be special.

Just now, rockywoj said:

Adrian Peterson upon returning from his torn MCL (Maybe not the same injury, but a devastating injury, nevertheless)

2012. 16 GP 348 ATT 2,097 T.YDS 6.0 AVG 12 TDs 40 RCPTs 217 YDS 1 TD

Like you said, not the same injury.

If I tell you my momma doesn’t like apples, but you say “but she does like oranges”.... that doesn’t mean anything

4 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I’d be fine bringing him back on a 1 year prove it deal / a heavily performance related contract, which could work out well for both sides. 

gives Mack a chance to prove he still got it after that injury, in a system he is comfortable with, and would give us another year of him with the upside of him potentially being part of a two headed monster attack.

if he ain’t what he was, then no harm and then let him walk.

I’m fine with them bringing him back but wouldn’t have an issue letting him walk. JT and Hines are the future of this team.    That is one heck of a 1-2 punch. One of the best in the league. Whoever they get to go with them shouldn’t be taking to many snaps from them.  A talented back as an insurance policy is never a bad idea. So Mack or possibly another rookie is not a bad idea. 

25 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Today's 253 yards was a franchise record, passing the Edge's previous record of 219.

I think Edge did that in 3 quarters worth of work vs the Bears if my memory is correct.  Edge said that he thought he could have gotten the NFL record that game.  We had a history of crushing teams and resting starters in the Edge, Manning, & Harrison days.  But with this offensive line, I think Taylor will eventually lead the league in rushing and have shots at both the single game record and a 2000 yard season.  

I say that because he has breakaway speed with a body and frame to carry a heavy workload and punish a defense.  Think about this, when we were running out the clock had he broken that last run and taken it to the house he’d have broken the nfl single game record today...  

11 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Like you said, not the same injury.

If I tell you my momma doesn’t like apples, but you say “but she does like oranges”.... that doesn’t mean anything

Well, the point being, it’s not unprecedented to come back from a major injury and be as good as before.  For Mack, that bar is pretty low, as he has only really flashed potential, in between always being nicked up.  Based on that, I would not be at all surprised if he returned to the field with the same durability issues with flashes of potential mixed in. 

32 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Some team is going to be willing to bet on him making a full recovery and offer him a good deal. This “Mack will be cheap” narrative is a little too big for its own britches. He suffered an injury, not the loss of a limb, or something that he has no shot at coming back from. 

I doubt that. The injury he has is very hard to come back from. Especially a RB.

9 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m fine with them bringing him back but wouldn’t have an issue letting him walk. JT and Hines are the future of this team.    That is one heck of a 1-2 punch. One of the best in the league. Whoever they get to go with them shouldn’t be taking to many snaps from them.  A talented back as an insurance policy is never a bad idea. So Mack or possibly another rookie is not a bad idea. 

I think this is where dollars come into play.  I really like Mack and was very impressed by his running style, but it’s clear to me (has been from game 1 of this season) that Taylor needs to be THE feature back.  Hence, unless Mack is willing to come back on a very inexpensive deal, I’d let him leave for $s elsewhere, and go the inexpensive rookie RB route for the 3rd or 4th string RB.

41 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I have a hard time believing he gets anything close to a big contract . I'm thinking a 1 year deal for around 3 mill

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard is brilliant for trading up

Funny fact here, it wasn't just Ballard trading up, Irsay also convinced Ballard to trade up for Taylor if you watch "with the next pick" during the draft portion. So props to both of them! We would of regretted it if Taylor was a Jaguar and we didn't trade up and had to face Lawrence and Taylor together twice a year.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Taylor may have finished 3rd in the league rushing after today’s numbers. Impressive season, and hope he gets OROY consideration.

I think he gets consideration, but the award will still go to Herbert unfortunately. Taylor was the best rookie RB though, and it wasn't close.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Funny fact here, it wasn't just Ballard trading up, Irsay also convinced Ballard to trade up for Taylor if you watch "with the next pick" during the draft portion. So props to both of them! We would of regretted it if Taylor was a Jaguar and we didn't trade up and had to face Lawrence and Taylor together twice a year.

I think Id add another  back in the draft with more upside than wilkins that way if taylor goes down tgere won't be  much drop off

Just now, Stephen said:

I think Id add another  back in the draft with more upside than wilkins that way if taylor goes down tgere won't be  much drop off

Getting a mid-round RB every year or two is never a bad strategy. Keeps fresh legs on a position with a short shelf life, and keeps the pantry full. Mack won't be healthy for most of next year anyway even if we wanted him back. So getting a guy to take some carries off Taylor next year may not be a bad idea. Even 20 carries a game for 16 games is 320 carries. That's a lot over a bunch of years, and you have to include college as well at Wisconsin.

Archived