Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are about to find out how good Ballard really is.

AwesomeAustin

I’m sure this has been discussed several times but it’s still very much a concern. 

With AC out for the year and Rivers saying Sunday may be his last game, this team has glaring questions at 4 of the most important positions.  QB, LT, DE and CB are all premiere positions. There is a solid argument they are the top 4 most important positions.  If you have a stud at those spots you can basically punch your ticket to the playoffs. 

We have stars at G, WLB and 3T.  We have above average starters at a few other positions and awesome potential at WR in Pittman and Campbell.  These next two years will define Ballards career.  He was dealt a terrible hand with Luck retiring and getting stiffed by the punk in NE.  A good QB can mask deficiencies and Rivers has done that this year.  I believe that is about to end.  Ballard will need to go find answers at these 4 positions or his seat is going to get hot very fast.  I think he is the man for the job but I also have said(and believe) Luck retiring will ultimately cost him and/or Reich their jobs.  I’m very much looking forward to this off-season.  Should be fun to watch Ballard and his team work. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballard has done a very good job. Only real criticism is not finding adequate depth at offensive tackle spot. Rivers was a good find for this year. Will see if we go with him in 2021 or look to replace him with FA, Eason or pick in draft. I expect JB to test FA and he will likely find a good landing spot. It is always possible we keep JB and  not re-sign Rivers. 

Hopefully we can find EDGE rusher, CB in draft. Offense needs a Tackle, TE and let's see if we look to draft for QB help. If there is a solid option in round 1 we may go in that direction . I think we have something with Eason. He has physical tools. He had a stunted college career so I think the past year with the Colts has allowed him to learn the game and benefit from  having Rivers and JB as mentors.

I hope we can find a few solid adds via FA market. I expect we let Hooker and Mack walk. 

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m sure this has been discussed several times but it’s still very much a concern. 

With AC out for the year and Rivers saying Sunday may be his last game, this team has glaring questions at 4 of the most important positions.  QB, LT, DE and CB are all premiere positions. There is a solid argument they are the top 4 most important positions.  If you have a stud at those spots you can basically punch your ticket to the playoffs. 

We have stars at G, WLB and 3T.  We have above average starters at a few other positions and awesome potential at WR in Pittman and Campbell.  These next two years will define Ballards career.  He was dealt a terrible hand with Luck retiring and getting stiffed by the punk in NE.  A good QB can mask deficiencies and Rivers has done that this year.  I believe that is about to end.  Ballard will need to go find answers at these 4 positions or his seat is going to get hot very fast.  I think he is the man for the job but I also have said(and believe) Luck retiring will ultimately cost him and/or Reich their jobs.  I’m very much looking forward to this off-season.  Should be fun to watch Ballard and his team work. 

I agree Ballard has challenging issues ahead, but that's why he's paid the big bucks. Many of the issues he faces are not directly related to personnel, but to the team identity and culture. That concerns me more than finding talented players - Ballard's strong suit. 

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I agree Ballard has challenging issues ahead, but that's why he's paid the big bucks. Many of the issues he faces are not directly related to personnel, but to the team identity and culture. That concerns me more than finding talented players - Ballard's strong suit. 

What do you see as the problem with the Colts' culture?

40 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not that your premise is off - you're right about the magnitude of the challenge facing Ballard on the offensive side - but your emphasis on premium positions is a bit debatable on the defensive side.  In our scheme 3T is #1 and WILL #2 and we see the evidence of that this year with the impact Buckner has made - totally different team.  We have long term All-Pros in their prime at the most important positions in our defense. 

The NB is just as important as the outside CB's in our scheme...and we all know about the impact player that we have in Moore, also in his prime.  Throw in young studs at safety and emerging talent at LB in Okereke, along with steady disruptive play from Grover, Autry and flashes from Lewis...Ballard has stocked the shelves well.  DE is certainly a need if we want to get to the next level with Ballard's player driven scheme.  We need a bigger game wrecker there, but we can win with what we've had at that position.

QB and LT are daunting moves...but it's probably not so dramatic as it seems either when Rivers is likely back next year along with Castonzo, so we really have 2 off seasons and drafts to work out the next iteration.

I feel like people have been saying this at least for the three off-seasons.  All he does is keep making solid moves that addresses problems.  Are they perfect moves?  Not always but the Colts keep getting better so I think we can say we know how good Ballard is.  He’s good.  Trust him.

OP is spot on. 

The first four years Ballard had it pretty easy because he had his QB (who retired and CB had to address this past spring), his LT, and his #1 WR all handed to him from day one.  Ballard had the luxury of devoting high capital to a FS and a G of all things.  Seriously, most of his draft picks thus far have been inconsequential in the grand scheme of things because he's simply had to address the support positions....not the money making positions.

Now he's going to have to address the positions that really matter.

Personally, I think he has done a great job in filling the most important position on the D, Buckner, with a mid round first pick and a fair long term deal. 

Hopefully Ballard can bring that thinking to the LT position, which is what I'll be keying off of this spring.  We may not have to address QB since we don't know what Eason is bringing, nor WR because I think its fair to give Campbell and TY another year to show us.  

I think we can probably begin to say that Ballard's attention to the EDGE position has not worked out in bringing talent there for the future.

I want to see how he looks at LT and EDGE this spring.  Personally, I think TE is a concern but not as important as the other two.

We are fine at DBs, if we actually played the scheme they are suited for and stop the fantasy of being a wannabe-SEA do it all D.

The stuff about firing Ballard in a short time is nonsense, IMO.  He's a young man who can learn from his mistakes. 

He might be bumpy his first five or six years but that could be just learning on the job and then he excels for the next 15 years.  I'd hate to have him trained as GM here, get impatient, then he takes that investment in time we made in him to another team.

I said in another thread and I'll kind of paraphrase here, it doesn't matter what spin you put on it, positive or cynical, he's not really on the clock until he goes in on a high end QB prospect and given how many other holes there was to fill on the roster, his approach has had merit. AT some point though, this thing he's building is going to have to produce. 

45 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I said in another thread and I'll kind of paraphrase here, it doesn't matter what spin you put on it, positive or cynical, he's not really on the clock until he goes in on a high end QB prospect and given how many other holes there was to fill on the roster, his approach has had merit. AT some point though, this thing he's building is going to have to produce. 

There were holes at positions of less importance, positions that get turned over frequently anyway.  He had C, LT, QB #1WR and all around TE handed to him.  He still hasn't filled the EDGE hole he was given and took year 4 to fill the DT hole he was given.

He also had to create and fill a hole caused by a terrible HC in Pagano.  And he did that well.

I wouldn't have him on the clock for a long time.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

His seat won't get hot anytime soon. Not only does he have Reich to sacrifice first...but he hasn't even taken his shot on a QB yet...and he has earned that shot.

And that's where his legacy will be tied...to how he addresses QB. Luck retiring sucked...but it is not an excuse going forward. Nearly every GM has to take a risk (and use big resources) on finding a QB...Ballard won't be exempt. And two full offseasons is plenty of time to make that bet...otherwise this team is just treading water. So I am expecting him to take that chance this offseason.

But you are correct about needing to address those other positions as well. And barring a massive trade of a player for more draft picks...it's going to be difficult to accomplish all of that right away. And if I am being honest...I think there should be general concerns of these positions getting addressed via the draft. CB and DE received (6) Day Two picks in a 3-year span...the amount most teams typically have in a 3-year span...and those positions are still major needs. So throwing more picks at those positions might not be the best route.

But those are secondary priorities compared to the QB position...and then the OT position. 

There is nobody outside Cosmi, Sewell, Darrisaw, Eichenberg, and Leatherwood that I would reach for in the first round. All those guys are projected to go in the first. Ballard should be able to get at least one of those guys. 

I'm hoping that is the case and Ballard can get someone like Dayo Odeyingbo or Joe Tyron in the second round. 

52 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

There are a few very good QBs that will likely be available. If Rivers walks, I expect a trade.

Draft a Tackle in round 1.

This team is too good to hope Eason or a draft pick can be the guy. The window is open...

I'm not expecting Rivers to return next year.  AC as well.  I think he retires now.  But all is not lost.  The window is still wide open and Ballard will make the necessary moves to make us contenders again for next year and beyond.  He has everything he needs.  Cap space and draft picks.  He has already traded our 1st pick twice.  He loves to trade picks.  I think he will continue to do so this year.  I think he will trade a pick or picks for Stafford.  He will work out a fair deal and our QB problem is solved for a long time.  To me Stafford makes the most sense.  I think he will address starting LT through FA.  There are at least two excellent starting G's hitting FA with probably more to come.  This reduction in cap is going to play right into our hands.  I think he will sign a G.  Thuney and Scherff first come to mind.  The new player will go to LG and Q will move to LT.  Starting line fixed.  There are many good young WR hitting FA.  We will sign one.  Goodwin, Schuster, Robinson, Golladay come to mind maybe more.  We resign TY too.  There are a lot of DE becoming available as well.  Like you said this team is too good to hope Eason or a draft pick is the guy.  I think he needs to trade and sign a few FA's to fill the big holes this year.  Then it's BPA in a position of need for the draft.  That's where I would be headed but I'm just a fan who knows nothing but having fun.  No matter.  I trust Ballard.  I'm hoping for a great off season ahead.  

1 hour ago, yankeeclipper said:

Ballard has done a very good job. Only real criticism is not finding adequate depth at offensive tackle spot. Rivers was a good find for this year. Will see if we go with him in 2021 or look to replace him with FA, Eason or pick in draft. I expect JB to test FA and he will likely find a good landing spot. It is always possible we keep JB and  not re-sign Rivers. 

Hopefully we can find EDGE rusher, CB in draft. Offense needs a Tackle, TE and let's see if we look to draft for QB help. If there is a solid option in round 1 we may go in that direction . I think we have something with Eason. He has physical tools. He had a stunted college career so I think the past year with the Colts has allowed him to learn the game and benefit from  having Rivers and JB as mentors.

I hope we can find a few solid adds via FA market. I expect we let Hooker and Mack walk. 

Not so sure on Hooker and Mack... I tend to think we'll bring one or both of them back as they are coming off injury and likely won't be able to demand long-term or premiere dollar value.  They both know our system and when healthy have shown they can be productive here.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Not that your premise is off - you're right about the magnitude of the challenge facing Ballard on the offensive side - but your emphasis on premium positions is a bit debatable on the defensive side.  In our scheme 3T is #1 and WILL #2 and we see the evidence of that this year with the impact Buckner has made - totally different team.  We have long term All-Pros in their prime at the most important positions in our defense. 

The NB is just as important as the outside CB's in our scheme...and we all know about the impact player that we have in Moore, also in his prime.  Throw in young studs at safety and emerging talent at LB in Okereke, along with steady disruptive play from Grover, Autry and flashes from Lewis...Ballard has stocked the shelves well.  DE is certainly a need if we want to get to the next level with Ballard's player driven scheme.  We need a bigger game wrecker there, but we can win with what we've had at that position.

QB and LT are daunting moves...but it's probably not so dramatic as it seems either when Rivers is likely back next year along with Castonzo, so we really have 2 off seasons and drafts to work out the next iteration.

I am not disagreeing that the NB is important in our scheme, but I don't think it is more important than the outside CBs.  I also think solid NBs are easier to find than very good outside CBs.  Many may disagree with me, but I think Moore is the most overrated player on this team.  He makes some very good plays, but he also gives up a very high completion percentage and IMO for every great play (e.g., his one handed INT) he makes, there are usually multiple not-so-great plays he gives up.  I like Moore and he seems to be well liked by the coaches and his teammates, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Moore is a stud or an irreplaceable player.  

Also, not sure that I'd call Willis or Blackmon studs.  I think Willis is playing at or near his ceiling, and he's good (above average) but not a stud.  Due to his limited athleticism, I don't foresee him getting much better, if at all, as he continues on in this league.  He's reliable and he's certainly not bad at his job, but I'd reserve the term 'stud' for a top 5 player at his position in the league, and I don't think Willis is near there, nor do I think he has the potential to get there.  Blackmon has a lot more potential, IMO... but right now, I think he's a bit of a liability against the pass (personally, I think Hooker is a better FS than Blackmon and think Hooker at FS and Blackmon as SS would be a better combo than Blackmon at FS and Willis at SS).  Not saying Blackmon can't learn and improve (I think he can), but until he does so I see him as a solid tackler who plays with good aggression on plays which happen in front of him, but a liability to the deep ball or plays which he has to make adjustments to behind him.  I think Blackmon has potential to be a stud or near that level, but I don't think he's there yet.

On the DL, I think we have Buckner performing as a stud for at least another 5 years.  Stewart is solid, especially when he's alongside Buckner and we should get at least 5 more solid years from him.  Lewis is playing his best football to date, but he's not really anything special.  I'm not counting Turay out, but he's gotta stay healthy and become more consistent.  Autry and Houston are both very solid players for us, but Autry's 30 and Houston is 31.  We'll need to find their replacements soon.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

OP is spot on. 

The first four years Ballard had it pretty easy because he had his QB (who retired and CB had to address this past spring), his LT, and his #1 WR all handed to him from day one.  Ballard had the luxury of devoting high capital to a FS and a G of all things.  Seriously, most of his draft picks thus far have been inconsequential in the grand scheme of things because he's simply had to address the support positions....not the money making positions.

Now he's going to have to address the positions that really matter.

Personally, I think he has done a great job in filling the most important position on the D, Buckner, with a mid round first pick and a fair long term deal. 

Hopefully Ballard can bring that thinking to the LT position, which is what I'll be keying off of this spring.  We may not have to address QB since we don't know what Eason is bringing, nor WR because I think its fair to give Campbell and TY another year to show us.  

I think we can probably begin to say that Ballard's attention to the EDGE position has not worked out in bringing talent there for the future.

I want to see how he looks at LT and EDGE this spring.  Personally, I think TE is a concern but not as important as the other two.

We are fine at DBs, if we actually played the scheme they are suited for and stop the fantasy of being a wannabe-SEA do it all D.

The stuff about firing Ballard in a short time is nonsense, IMO.  He's a young man who can learn from his mistakes. 

He might be bumpy his first five or six years but that could be just learning on the job and then he excels for the next 15 years.  I'd hate to have him trained as GM here, get impatient, then he takes that investment in time we made in him to another team.

I agree with the majority of this post, except the bolded.  

Luck was out Ballard's first year and he was basically forced to be the GM with a coach who he didn't choose (or want).  That was a rough year.  A big reason why Luck was out was because his OL had been so bad, so it made sense for him to draft OL heavy in his second season.  Personally, I'm not sure Hooker was a 'Ballard' choice as much as it was a 'Pagano influencing Ballard' choice.  That aside, Hooker's been hurt more than he's played so it's not like Ballard has it easy that he drafted a S early and has had an all-pro at the position 16 games a year since day 1.  In terms of drafting a G high, Q is a once in a generation type player - it is extremely rare for a player at any position to come in and be 1st team all-pro his first 2 years (he's probowl again this year, and if I had to guess, he'll be on an all-pro team).  

Luck played well the last 2/3 of Ballard's second year... then retired abruptly before Ballard's 3rd year.  In no way do I think Ballard's had it easy at the QB position.  Also, I never was convinced that TY is a true #1 WR and he battled nagging injuries in Ballard's 2nd and 3rd year and was almost non-existent the first half or more of this season.  

Most of his draft picks have been inconsequential?  I'm not so sure about that... he's got an all-pro at LB and a fairly solid LB corps which is entirely made of draft picks.  Buckner, though not a draft pick was acquired via a draft pick and aside from Houston and Autry the remainder of our DL is draft picks.  Our safeties are draft picks as is Ya-Sin at CB.  On offense, aside from TY pretty much every WR is a draft pick or an undrafted FA.  All of our RBs are draft picks.  

The vast majority of the team at this point are guys who were drafted or acquired via draft by Ballard.  Rivers is obviously a stop-gap.  Is Eason our guy?  To be determined.  Regardless, I don't think Ballard has had it easy with the QB position or the WR position.  The LT position, aside from  Castonzo battling some injuries, has been pretty solid for him, for sure.

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I agree, what he's building will have to produce and it will have to produce sometime sooner than later.  That said, Ballard's kept us pretty good in the cap area.  He's got us set up well in the trenches (for the most part, obviously we've gotta get a serious edge rusher and add depth/eventual AC replacement at OT) for a while.... our WR corps, aside from TY, is young and promising... etc. etc...  I have faith in the guy that we'll be winning or very competitive in the AFC South for a while to come.

3 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

There is nobody outside Cosmi, Sewell, Darrisaw, Eichenberg, and Leatherwood that I would reach for in the first round. All those guys are projected to go in the first. Ballard should be able to get at least one of those guys. 

I'm hoping that is the case and Ballard can get someone like Dayo Odeyingbo or Joe Tyron in the second round. 

I like EIchenberg, but it sounds like second or third round in what I've read.

12/12/20: Eichenberg has played well for Notre Dame thus far in 2020. Multiple evaluators said they graded Eichenberg as a late second- or early third-round pick. They feel the 6-foot-6, 305-pounder is a solid football player, but they do not feel he has the skill set of a first-round pick or a top-20 player.

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

I like EIchenberg, but it sounds like second or third round in what I've read.

12/12/20: Eichenberg has played well for Notre Dame thus far in 2020. Multiple evaluators said they graded Eichenberg as a late second- or early third-round pick. They feel the 6-foot-6, 305-pounder is a solid football player, but they do not feel he has the skill set of a first-round pick or a top-20 player.

Yeah you aren’t getting a ready to start left tackle that late.  Now if AC comes back for another year maybe he’s a guy you develop over the course of a year.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree with the majority of this post, except the bolded.  

Luck was out Ballard's first year and he was basically forced to be the GM with a coach who he didn't choose (or want).  That was a rough year.  A big reason why Luck was out was because his OL had been so bad, so it made sense for him to draft OL heavy in his second season.  Personally, I'm not sure Hooker was a 'Ballard' choice as much as it was a 'Pagano influencing Ballard' choice.  That aside, Hooker's been hurt more than he's played so it's not like Ballard has it easy that he drafted a S early and has had an all-pro at the position 16 games a year since day 1.  In terms of drafting a G high, Q is a once in a generation type player - it is extremely rare for a player at any position to come in and be 1st team all-pro his first 2 years (he's probowl again this year, and if I had to guess, he'll be on an all-pro team).  

Luck played well the last 2/3 of Ballard's second year... then retired abruptly before Ballard's 3rd year.  In no way do I think Ballard's had it easy at the QB position.  Also, I never was convinced that TY is a true #1 WR and he battled nagging injuries in Ballard's 2nd and 3rd year and was almost non-existent the first half or more of this season.  

Most of his draft picks have been inconsequential?  I'm not so sure about that... he's got an all-pro at LB and a fairly solid LB corps which is entirely made of draft picks.  Buckner, though not a draft pick was acquired via a draft pick and aside from Houston and Autry the remainder of our DL is draft picks.  Our safeties are draft picks as is Ya-Sin at CB.  On offense, aside from TY pretty much every WR is a draft pick or an undrafted FA.  All of our RBs are draft picks.  

The vast majority of the team at this point are guys who were drafted or acquired via draft by Ballard.  Rivers is obviously a stop-gap.  Is Eason our guy?  To be determined.  Regardless, I don't think Ballard has had it easy with the QB position or the WR position.  The LT position, aside from  Castonzo battling some injuries, has been pretty solid for him, for sure.

Saying what I said another way.  So far, most of the positions he has had to fill are positions that often have turnover in the NFL.  Teams like to have their franchise QB, LT, WR1, and Pass Rusher franchise guys and the other spots get filled in.  It can vary (like maybe our 3T Buckner will be our pillar Dlineman instead of an EDGE like Freeney), but for the most part, Ballard did not have to draft those spots and has feasted off of the less difficult spots to find. JMO.

And that is not to blame him.  Why would any GM look to draft a QB, LT, WR1, or C when you come to a club that has Luck, AC, TY, and Kelly? 

He simply has not had to make those decisions until now.  I agree with OP, we'll see what happens.

He's done well in finding our anchor dlineman that we can roll with for years if he ages well.  Now Ballard has to address three more pillar positions.

i think ballard overall has been very good .   Not great but very very good .   the biggest problem ballard has is his picks at defensive end and corner have been busts.   If rock and wilson turned into very  good starters as they were taken very high colts secondary would be elite with moore also .   If basham and ben would of hit we would be fine at defensive end .  I understand those two spots are very hard to fill , but they need to be filled .    Also the tight end and wrs are solid but not great , i have high hope for pittman but he is not considered good yet not enough shown .

6 hours ago, CoachLite said:

We have identity issues?

We have culture issues?

Please elaborate.   What concerns you?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have identity issues?

We have culture issues?

Please elaborate.   What concerns you?

I love our team as it is, if 11-5 doesn't get us in that would be shocking. I think we get in and do damage. We have an 80% of getting in and will learn from last week. The REFS are put on notice now too. Lets think our lucky stars last week wasn't the playoffs so we still have life.

9 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Where did you hear rivers say this is his last game?

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Saying what I said another way.  So far, most of the positions he has had to fill are positions that often have turnover in the NFL.  Teams like to have their franchise QB, LT, WR1, and Pass Rusher franchise guys and the other spots get filled in.  It can vary (like maybe our 3T Buckner will be our pillar Dlineman instead of an EDGE like Freeney), but for the most part, Ballard did not have to draft those spots and has feasted off of the less difficult spots to find. JMO.

And that is not to blame him.  Why would any GM look to draft a QB, LT, WR1, or C when you come to a club that has Luck, AC, TY, and Kelly? 

He simply has not had to make those decisions until now.  I agree with OP, we'll see what happens.

He's done well in finding our anchor dlineman that we can roll with for years if he ages well.  Now Ballard has to address three more pillar positions.

Thanks, that makes more sense.  

To some extent, this was almost like a dream job when he took it since he likely thought he had another 10-15 years out of Luck who was an elite caliber franchise QB.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.  While I don't think it is for the better (i.e., I think this franchise would be a perennial superbowl contender with Luck hitting his prime right about now), it may not be so bad that we drafted positions beside QB early in Ballard's time with Indy.  In many instances, when you are coming to a team who had been underperforming the first thing a new GM has to address is the QB position.  In Ballard's case, he was able to start building our OL, DL, LB corps, etc... and after this year (or next if Rivers comes back) we'll really have to worry about QB.  Not saying Eason is or isn't the guy, but it's probably a good thing that we've got a solid OL with the LG, C, RG, RT all under 30 and the LT (if he doesn't retire) coming back for one more year... that kind of protection and the ability to have a running game ought to allow a QB who may not be top 5 in the league the ability to compete with this team.  Ideally, we'll find a true franchise QB who is a stud, but even if we just get a very good QB (as opposed to elite) this team should be solid enough to be legit contenders.  

Predictions: 

1. Rivers back for one more year.

2. AC back for a last year as well.

3. Ballard picks up a FA wide receiver to become the new #1, because TY is gone. 

4. Ya Sin relegated to backup CB, beaten out by Tell, who surprises as a long term answer.
5. Mo Alie Cox gets healthy and becomes the #1 TE. Still. the Colts invest in the position via the draft in 3rd or 4th round. 
6.Colts pick AC’s replacement in draft, as well as Houston’s. Houston back for one last hurrah. 
7. Banagu  released midway through season as #2 draft pick pushes him

aside. His NFL career is nearly over. 
7. Eberflus moves on. Colts replace him with less traditional Cover 2 coach and the D gels. 
9. Colts win AFC South. 
10. Team of destiny?

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Where did you hear rivers say this is his last game?

It is an article on Bleacher Report.  He didn’t announce this is his last game but acknowledged that he has thought about it especially if the Colts don’t make the playoffs and he struggles with health.  Granted it could be the journalist paraphrasing a conversation out of context. He did go on to say another year would be good if he can hold on.  The point really is he is at the end like Castonzo.  We don’t know how much longer they will play.  I’m excited to see what the succession plan is.  Ballard will figure it out.  

28 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It is an article on Bleacher Report.  He didn’t announce this is his last game but acknowledged that he has thought about it especially if the Colts don’t make the playoffs and he struggles with health.  Granted it could be the journalist paraphrasing a conversation out of context. He did go on to say another year would be good if he can hold on.  The point really is he is at the end like Castonzo.  We don’t know how much longer they will play.  I’m excited to see what the succession plan is.  Ballard will figure it out.  

If you listen to what he said he pretty much said I’ll keep playing if someone will have me.  I’d say based on how he played this year the Colts probably will.  If not someone else will.

13 hours ago, CoachLite said:

This is confusing.  You concern yourself more with Ballard's ability to add character guys who fit the culture of the team, by your own words here, moreso than you are concerned with whether or not he can find and add premium talent.

What has led you to believe they have had, are having, or will have, any issues whatsoever with the ability to identify good fits for the character and locker room of this team?

10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I am not disagreeing that the NB is important in our scheme, but I don't think it is more important than the outside CBs.  I also think solid NBs are easier to find than very good outside CBs.  Many may disagree with me, but I think Moore is the most overrated player on this team.  He makes some very good plays, but he also gives up a very high completion percentage and IMO for every great play (e.g., his one handed INT) he makes, there are usually multiple not-so-great plays he gives up.  I like Moore and he seems to be well liked by the coaches and his teammates, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Moore is a stud or an irreplaceable player.  

Also, not sure that I'd call Willis or Blackmon studs.  I think Willis is playing at or near his ceiling, and he's good (above average) but not a stud.  Due to his limited athleticism, I don't foresee him getting much better, if at all, as he continues on in this league.  He's reliable and he's certainly not bad at his job, but I'd reserve the term 'stud' for a top 5 player at his position in the league, and I don't think Willis is near there, nor do I think he has the potential to get there.  Blackmon has a lot more potential, IMO... but right now, I think he's a bit of a liability against the pass (personally, I think Hooker is a better FS than Blackmon and think Hooker at FS and Blackmon as SS would be a better combo than Blackmon at FS and Willis at SS).  Not saying Blackmon can't learn and improve (I think he can), but until he does so I see him as a solid tackler who plays with good aggression on plays which happen in front of him, but a liability to the deep ball or plays which he has to make adjustments to behind him.  I think Blackmon has potential to be a stud or near that level, but I don't think he's there yet.

On the DL, I think we have Buckner performing as a stud for at least another 5 years.  Stewart is solid, especially when he's alongside Buckner and we should get at least 5 more solid years from him.  Lewis is playing his best football to date, but he's not really anything special.  I'm not counting Turay out, but he's gotta stay healthy and become more consistent.  Autry and Houston are both very solid players for us, but Autry's 30 and Houston is 31.  We'll need to find their replacements soon.

Interesting take on Moore.  He does so many things at a high level.  Blitz, extra run defender, covers all over the field including physical play out in the flats.  Slot corners are always going to give up a high completion percentage relative to outside corners...but Moore makes a lot of plays....

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

To some extent, this was almost like a dream job when he took it since he likely thought he had another 10-15 years out of Luck who was an elite caliber franchise QB.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.  While I don't think it is for the better (i.e., I think this franchise would be a perennial superbowl contender with Luck hitting his prime right about now), it may not be so bad that we drafted positions beside QB early in Ballard's time with Indy.  In many instances, when you are coming to a team who had been underperforming the first thing a new GM has to address is the QB position.  In Ballard's case, he was able to start building our OL, DL, LB corps, etc... and after this year (or next if Rivers comes back) we'll really have to worry about QB.  Not saying Eason is or isn't the guy, but it's probably a good thing that we've got a solid OL with the LG, C, RG, RT all under 30 and the LT (if he doesn't retire) coming back for one more year... that kind of protection and the ability to have a running game ought to allow a QB who may not be top 5 in the league the ability to compete with this team.  Ideally, we'll find a true franchise QB who is a stud, but even if we just get a very good QB (as opposed to elite) this team should be solid enough to be legit contenders.  

The Colts have been very successful/lucky over the past 20 years in having studs at the QB, LT, WR, and DL positions. 

Manning then Luck. 

With the exception of the Tony Ugoh year born from a Tarik Glenn surprise retirement, the Colts have had only two LTs...2...for 23 years (Glenn was drafted in 1997 by Bill Tobin).  

Marvin for a long time, then TY.

Freeney and Mathis from day one to the end of their careers.

And Polian was lucky, in the sense that when he reupped on those players with high contracts, they continued to perform at a high level...their entire careers.  Only at the end of Freeney's career did the Colts have to eat some dead cap space, Grigson had to deal with that.

But Ballard has not had to deal with these positions much.  And if he sputters, I still don't think that's a bad mark on his resume.  Polian drafted those players well, and resigned them, but he was dammed lucky that they could all play at a high level for that many years, not one ever having a career ending injury or nagging time consuming nicks.  They always played just about every down for the Colts spanning 20 years.

Good luck trying to repeat that performance by a GM.

Edit:  Yes Manning was injured, but that alone didn't drive him away. Luck was on his heels anyway

13 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

It's pretty obvious to me that he came here because Andrew Luck was here and he was going to fill in the blanks. Dream Job? Obviously it looked friggin' great on paper and yet.. 

Not that anyone want's to dwell on one guy, but on a football gods level (our boy Irsay knows what I'm talking about) you don't get to have the Andrew Luck situation go down on your watch and have everything be smooth sailing right after. Honestly, if it was another team I didn't pay close attention to I'd pencil them in for several seasons in the wilderness. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

It's pretty obvious to me that he came here because Andrew Luck was here and he was going to fill in the blanks. Dream Job? Obviously it looked friggin' great on paper and yet.. 

Not that anyone want's to dwell on one guy, but on a football gods level (our boy Irsay knows what I'm talking about) you don't get to have the Andrew Luck situation go down on your watch and have everything be smooth sailing right after. Honestly, if it was another team I didn't pay close attention to I'd pencil them in for several seasons in the wilderness. 

Not sure I agree with this because if that was the case he would've stepped down after Andrew retired or before this year. We are going to be 11-5 with Rivers so I would say that is very good.

Archived