Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared Veldheer signed out of retirement to start at Tackle for us (merge)

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well he’s only on the Colts practice squad the Packers could sign him off that.

Each team in the NFL is allowed up to four practice squad protections per week, and every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team’s game that week until the deadline on Tuesday. After that deadline, protected players can not be signed away by another team from then through the upcoming game.

Maybe he is one of the designated 'protected' players?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lucky for you next game is in 2021,,,,,,playoffs here we come.

Im done with 2020

I stand corrected.  He did get signed out of retirement to start at LT for us.   And did decent.  Credit to Ballard.  Savvy move.   As long as we can run the ball, we have a chance

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

He's on the PS because that's the logical process, as we've seen it play out with street fa after street fa this year.  Sign to PS, elevate just before game to regular roster....not sure why, but there's some advantage to that way of doing it 

Possibly because of this rule change for the Covid season-

"Teams now have more flexibility with using practice squad players on game day. PS players can be activated on game day before the team announces their inactives (90 minutes before game time). The player doesn’t have to be elevated from the PS to the main roster for the move. This can happen with up to two practice squad players per week, but the same player can’t be elevated two weeks in a row. A player is only able to be elevated twice per season. To be put activated a third time requires the player to be signed to the regular roster."

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Each team in the NFL is allowed up to four practice squad protections per week, and every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team’s game that week until the deadline on Tuesday. After that deadline, protected players can not be signed away by another team from then through the upcoming game.

Maybe he is one of the designated 'protected' players?

If he’s not he should be now.

8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Isn't the title of the thread kinda misleading?

Veldheer wasn't brought in to start.  He was signed to the practice squad...

I'm assuming he'll dress and be available Sunday, but "signed out of retirement to START at tackle for us"...

tenor.gif

He actually was brought in to start, not misleading at all. Team already stated this week being brought up to roster and all speculation from media is he will start in first playoff  game and we are making the playoffs so...

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

He's on the PS because that's the logical process, as we've seen it play out with street fa after street fa this year.  Sign to PS, elevate just before game to regular roster....not sure why, but there's some advantage to that way of doing it 

Teams do it this way so they can get a day or two of PS practice with the guy. Don't want to elevate a street guy to active roster immediately and have him be terrible and force a good player to the PS just for that. PS gives coaches time to evaluate whether or not the player is worth an active roster spot, basically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Came off his couch hadnt been on a squad in 12 months and even then only late in the year, run blocking was spot on, pass got rust off. Guy is a monster, didnt tire played whole game. Much better then Clarke or Green wish we had him all season 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
On 1/1/2021 at 7:43 AM, holeymoley99 said:

He actually was brought in to start, not misleading at all. Team already stated this week being brought up to roster and all speculation from media is he will start in first playoff  game and we are making the playoffs so...

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Look who is the announced starter...lol

I stand corrected.  He did get signed out of retirement to start at LT for us.

And did decent.  Credit to Ballard.  Savvy move.

As long as we can run the ball, we have a chance in any game.  :thmup:

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

He was solid. Endurance surprised me. Did better than Green or Clark

Yeah, he had a few times where he got beat but for the most part he held up.  He was better in run blocking than pass blocking.  I was wanting the Colts to run behind him and Nelson by the end of the game.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Those watching.....

how does V look?

Had a couple bad plays but looked best at T than anyone else we’ve tried not named Smith, Nelson or Castanzo. 

• Like 2

Unbelievably savvy move by Ballard, dude played LT after sitting for a year and got the job done.  Let's play a few more!  Maybe this year we finally address T depth in the draft.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

Unbelievably savvy move by Ballard, dude played LT after sitting for a year and got the job done.  Let's play a few more!  Maybe this year we finally address T depth in the draft.

Wonder if he is willing  to play a 1 year deal next year. Would help the colts

• Like 5

I think he had the itch or why come back now. I think he will take another one year deal for next year. If castonzo comes back, pinter develops and we get a couple in draft, not too shabby. 

Anyone with PFF out there? 

I'd love to see how he graded out for that game.

He looked very athletic out there in the run blocking game, but looked like it was taking some time to adjust to the speed of the rush in his pass pro sets.

Overall, hell of a signing.  Hopefully Holden is healthy next week, just for some depth and to give a chance for Veldheer to be most effective, as he likely isn't in game shape yet compared to guys that have played the entire season. 

• Like 1

A couple of plays his way in pass rush but that is expected signing anyone off the street to start LT. Run blocking looked effective; hard to say how much a lack of talent on the Jags DL contributed.

Certainly exceeded expectations. Like others mentioned, hopefully getting a week of practice helps in the pass pro department. 

11 minutes ago, Dasteez said:

A couple of plays his way in pass rush but that is expected signing anyone off the street to start LT. Run blocking looked effective; hard to say how much a lack of talent on the Jags DL contributed.

Certainly exceeded expectations. Like others mentioned, hopefully getting a week of practice helps in the pass pro department. 

Chaisson is good.

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Chaisson is good.

Not saying the whole DL is awful. Definitely not the same DL of old that formerly made that line formidable; no Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, or Malik Jackson. 

4 hours ago, cbear said:

I think he had the itch or why come back now. I think he will take another one year deal for next year. If castonzo comes back, pinter develops and we get a couple in draft, not too shabby. 

It might depend on how he feels.

He had stem cell therapy treatment for chronic pain(hip)...said he felt better..then good...until he tried to play...then more pain.

Hope that he wakes up feeling fine, and that his health problems are finished.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He wasn’t even on the practice squad last week.  He was still retired.  

Oh I know... just saying how much of an improvement he was over who played against Pitt.

He did great for someone who hasn't played in what, 2 years? Especially since Nelson was taking almost all the reps at LT during the week. 

Hope Castanzo doesn't retire, but if he does, Veldheer would be willing to play again next year. 

Veldheer had a nice game. I was very impressed with how quick he was off the ball. He had a couple issues in pass protection but his run blocking was terrific. Lots of Taylor’s big runs came from the left side. Great add by the Colts front office. 

Veldheer gives us a fighting chance in the playoffs. If AC does retire then Veldheer could give us a year to groom a LT. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Veldheer had a nice game. I was very impressed with how quick he was off the ball. He had a couple issues in pass protection but his run blocking was terrific. Lots of Taylor’s big runs came from the left side. Great add by the Colts front office. 

Veldheer gives us a fighting chance in the playoffs. If AC does retire then Veldheer could give us a year to groom a LT. 

Is he going to be interested in playing next year?  Because if he is, from what I saw in the one game, even if AC is back it would be good to have Veldheer on the roster to act as both Smith and AC's backup.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Is he going to be interested in playing next year?  Because if he is, from what I saw in the one game, even if AC is back it would be good to have Veldheer on the roster to act as both Smith and AC's backup.  

I guess that part remains to be seen. However, if you’re a LT and you have the opportunity to play with Q next to you, and for a Super Bowl contender... I think it would be hard to say no. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I guess that part remains to be seen. However, if you’re a LT and you have the opportunity to play with Q next to you, and for a Super Bowl contender... I think it would be hard to say no. 

I agree. They can give him a 2 year contract if he wants security at $10 mil. plus if that is the direction we wish to go. It would be nice to know AC's decision prior to doing so though. It is worth investing in the backup tackle position as it is a premium one for us given our lack of quality depth. 

However, with an immobile QB like Rivers, it would only extend his life so far. :) 

• Like 2
  • Nadine changed the title to Jared Veldheer signed out of retirement to start at Tackle for us (merge)