Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Help A New Member With His Colts Draft- See Below Email Request From Him

Coltman51

Ok so im a Jets fan and on the Jets boards I use we did a large mock draft having each user be GM of a certain team, then do a full draft.

I got the Colts, and wanted to discuss my draft here :D

I cant make a new thread here without making a bunch of posts (and figured no point in spamming) so figured id ask you if you could just make a post here for me with my mock so i dont end up hijacking a therad.

Thanks !

Ok, team, give whatever feedback you want to our new Member, started this tread for him. Also told him there are a lot of Mock Draft listings here already to read through. Happy Sunday to all.

Bob

Ok so im a Jets fan and on the Jets boards I use we did a large mock draft having each user be GM of a certain team, then do a full draft.

I got the Colts, and wanted to discuss my draft here :D

I cant make a new thread here without making a bunch of posts (and figured no point in spamming) so figured id ask you if you could just make a post here for me with my mock so i dont end up hijacking a therad.

Thanks !

Ok, team, give whatever feedback you want to our new Member, started this tread for him. Also told him there are a lot of Mock Draft listings here already to read through. Happy Sunday to all.

Bob

well the colts are in need of a quaterback of course. so were probably gonna take andrew luck with the first pick. then in the second round we could almost pick any position we wanted. id want us to get coby fleener, but if hes not avaible i think we should draft another wide reciever. and we need some defencive tackles, and o guards. idk if thats what you wanted to know or not though.

lol appreciate the post :D

Actually we already had the draft over there, and wanted to discuss the mock.

Used these forums a bit to get a feel for what Colt Fans felt their biggest needs were, as well as my general football knowledge.

Rd 1 - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Rd 2 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Rd 3 - Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson

Rd 4- Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska (I know of a hes a bit of a Tweener, but this guy has 2nd round value here and some scheme versatility)

Rd 5 - Hebron Fangupo, DT/NT, BYU

Rd 5 (comp pick)- Devon Wylie, WR Fresno State

Rd 6 (comp pick) - Joe Looney, OG Wake Forest

Rd 7 - Jaye Howard, DT, NT, DE, Florida

Rd 7 - Garth Gerhart, C/G, Arizona State

Rd 7 (comp pick) (actually didnt get to this pick yet, draft really slowed down a bit in the 7th round lol)

Mostly went BPA early and often, dont think Gilmore is that realistic to be available with the 2nd pick anymore (though that would be incredible value). Wanted to get a NT earlier but the value wasnt there (guys like Taamu, Chapman, Baptist all gone early). And lotta teams went OG early, but still got some good late round value with Looney and Gerhart

Was curious what you guys thought, thanks !

dcm- you are welcome for the post, glad I could help you out. I like a TE early due to our needs and would hope to get Fleener, but may have been gone before you got your second pick. Big feeling here is for a NT earlier than you choose one.

I figured in case anyone is really curious to any of the selections Edit simply shows all the picks from every team in order.

Give you a feeling on who was available and when, plus why I didnt go NT till I did, or go OG earlier etc.

Fleener was definitely on my wish list, but ended up going to the Giants (odds are heck go earlier than that), but tbh Gilmore is FAR better value than Fleener imo.

Taamu went in the 2nd, and drafting him at the start of the second woulda been absurd. Chapman went to the raiders the end of the 3rd (he woulda been near the top of my list for the 4th), but Crick is excellent excellent value there as well.

Wylie is an absolute amazing wr for a young QB. Hes a small scrappy Welker type in the slot, but hes your typical quick short passes guy who can make something happen with the YAC.

OG and NT are definitely picks I would of liked to have gotten earlier but the value just wasnt there. But I think with Crick/Howard/Fangupo on the DL it would be an absolutely monstrous upgrade. Especially since you got some solid FA (ie Redding).

Also worth adding that Fangupo has been compared to the Jets Sione Pouha a bit. Who was graded as one of the best run stopping NT in the league last year. It might take him a little while to get there, but hes definitely got some potential

Edited by Coltssouth
Link to another forum violates board rules

I'm in the middle of writing my analysis/description of my picks, so I'll just give you the names:

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. Jayron Hosley (CB)

3. AJ Jenkins (WR)

4. Michael Egnew (TE)

5. Josh Chapam (NT)

5C. Brandon Brooks (OG)

6C. Chris Owusu (WR)

7. Emanuel Davis (CB)

7 (from Jags via Jets). Atwon Bailey (RB)

7C (Mr. Irrelevant). Adrian Cole (ILB)

Chapman and Brooks wont be available in the 5th

In our mock Brooks went in the 2nd (a bit of a reach, but still). Hes probably a mid to late 3rd/early 4th at best.

and Chapman late 3rd-mid 4th at best

To be honest I think its somewhat iffy that either of them is available with the colts 4th rounder

Chapman and Brooks wont be available in the 5th

In our mock Brooks went in the 2nd (a bit of a reach, but still). Hes probably a mid to late 3rd/early 4th at best.

and Chapman late 3rd-mid 4th at best

To be honest I think its somewhat iffy that either of them is available with the colts 4th rounder

I can definitely understand Brooks not being there. I see Brooks sliding due to teams not wanting that many guards. Last year, there were 13 guards selected and Brooks is ranked as no.8 or 9 on many rankings, including mine. Maybe I'll make him the first pick of the 5th round. Either way, I know he ain't going in the 2nd round. Definitely not in front of Washington. I'm sorry, but I closed that page once I saw Washington's name in the late 3rd round.

Now about Chapman. He had a good year, but he recently had knee surgery and his stock is falling quickly as others as rising. Not that many teams are looking for a 3-4 NT either. You see a lot of those kind of guys drop. He's dropping fast and the 5th round is a very realistic possibility. He was originally a third round guy, but knee surgery makes scouts turn a blind eye to you. I see him dropping, and I've seen this kind of thing happen before.

Even now, looking more into it, I'd like to avoid Chapman.

I'm changing my 5th Round Compensatory pick to Dominique Hamilton of Missouri (NT), and moving Brooks up to the 1st pick of the 5th round.

Brooks stock is way up on the rise, supposedly the Steelers are looking at him as a possible 2nd prospect.

Dont get me wrong im with you I personally like Brandon Washingnton better (although to be fair I see Washington as a better run blocker, Brooks as a pass blocker) so that makes sense for them trying to keep Big Ben healthy

I figured in case anyone is really curious to any of the selections Edit simply shows all the picks from every team in order.

Give you a feeling on who was available and when, plus why I didnt go NT till I did, or go OG earlier etc.

Fleener was definitely on my wish list, but ended up going to the Giants (odds are heck go earlier than that), but tbh Gilmore is FAR better value than Fleener imo.

Taamu went in the 2nd, and drafting him at the start of the second woulda been absurd. Chapman went to the raiders the end of the 3rd (he woulda been near the top of my list for the 4th), but Crick is excellent excellent value there as well.

Wylie is an absolute amazing wr for a young QB. Hes a small scrappy Welker type in the slot, but hes your typical quick short passes guy who can make something happen with the YAC.

OG and NT are definitely picks I would of liked to have gotten earlier but the value just wasnt there. But I think with Crick/Howard/Fangupo on the DL it would be an absolutely monstrous upgrade. Especially since you got some solid FA (ie Redding).

Also worth adding that Fangupo has been compared to the Jets Sione Pouha a bit. Who was graded as one of the best run stopping NT in the league last year. It might take him a little while to get there, but hes definitely got some potential

Agree on Gilmore been saying for days hes better pick than Fleener at 34.But nice draft not many quality NTs in draft think they go quick id take Taamu in 3rd reach a lil IMO,Nice draft