Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Even if we make the playoffs how would we beat the bills?

Stephen

33 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Does anyone know how many times we blitzed in the first half vs. the 2nd half?  I feel like we didn't blitz that much in the 2nd half, but I could be wrong.

FWIW, we blitz the second least in the league, at only about 7 blitzes per game. And we do so in generally obvious situations. 

Doubt we blitzed much more overall in this game. ADV stats don't come out till tomorrow (at least the free ones), but those won't have #s by half.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

FWIW, we blitz the second least in the league, at only about 7 blitzes per game. And we do so in generally obvious situations. 

Doubt we blitzed much more overall in this game. ADV stats don't come out till tomorrow (at least the free ones), but those won't have #s by half.

Thanks.  The one thing I saw was that we blitzed a couple of times in the first half, and really got to Ben.  It felt like, in the second half, we didn't blitz at all, and Big Ben had all day to throw with no pressure from our front 4.  Just curious if we tried to mix it up in the 2nd half as well.  Thanks EastStreet!

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Bills don't have a great D. So you start with playing good O. Their pass D is better than their run D. Also, they don't run the ball well. Stop/slow Allen, and you likely beat the Bills.

Our pass D isn't the best, so that's a lot to ask. From being #2 ranked early while playing chumps, we're now 18th..... 

Run the ball to open the pass, Control the clock, and put Allen on his * all day!

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Thanks.  The one thing I saw was that we blitzed a couple of times in the first half, and really got to Ben.  It felt like, in the second half, we didn't blitz at all, and Big Ben had all day to throw with no pressure from our front 4.  Just curious if we tried to mix it up in the 2nd half as well.  Thanks EastStreet!

Yup, agree on how it looked. I think we had some decent blitzes in 3rd and longs in the first half. It seemed like we played more soft nickel in the second, and either didn't blitz as much, or at least weren't successful when we did. Regardless, there was ample opportunity for more blitzes yesterday. We knew they were in passing mode, and didn't seem like we cared to do much about it except drop more.

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Run the ball to open the pass, Control the clock, and put Allen on his * all day!

I agree, but honestly we should be able to move the ball either way vs Buffalo. The key is slowing their QB. He's the great majority of their O. If he gets off early, any plan on O will crumble. 

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree, but honestly we should be able to move the ball either way vs Buffalo. The key is slowing their QB. He's the great majority of their O. If he gets off early, any plan on O will crumble. 

It's how we beat the Chiefs last year. Great blitz designs and containing Maholmes to being in a collapsing pocket. If we did it without Buckner, theres no excuse we cant do it with him.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

It's how we beat the Chiefs last year. Great blitz designs and containing Maholmes to being in a collapsing pocket. If we didn't without Buckner no excuse we cant do it with him.

Chiefs were severely hobbled. Gimpy Mahomes, and minus WRs, OL, and a few on D. I don't take much from that win. 

Honestly, knowing how little we already blitz, I'd expect us to possibly blitz less vs Buffalo as their QB does pretty well vs the blitz (running and screens).

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, agree on how it looked. I think we had some decent blitzes in 3rd and longs in the first half. It seemed like we played more soft nickel in the second, and either didn't blitz as much, or at least weren't successful when we did. Regardless, there was ample opportunity for more blitzes yesterday. We knew they were in passing mode, and didn't seem like we cared to do much about it except drop more.

I saw a few plays where the was a gigantic whole up the middle, and blitzing then would have worked.  I wonder if a defensive player can decide to blitz if he sees something like that.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I have stated on several threads that I thought the Colts loss to PIT was mainly self inflicted. We made silly mistakes. When we should have gone up 28-7, Glowinski got called for a silly push in the back. Was it a good call? Yes. He had no business pushing, it was bad football. With that said, there was a hold by PIT on the same play. 

I stated on several threads that in the 1st half of the PIT game, I thought Indy was getting the more favorable calls and had to pinch myself several times. That flipped in the second half, the Colts were getting called for every nonsense under the sun, and that's happened a bit this season. 

Now, I think the first responsibility of the team is to play as clean and disciplined a game as possible. Don't give the refs the chance to influence the game. However if you think they cannot be a factor, I don't know what to tell you. It happens and the 2nd half v PIT was pretty clear. They missed PIT fouls and never seemed to miss the Colts errors. Play clean, win. Sure. But the zebras can also be a factor.

As far as regard...it's an internet forum with mostly anonymous folks, your regard isn't worth toilet paper. That's the truth. Neither is mine to you. Lets agree to disagree or whatever instead of talking of regard and that type of empty talk. You don't think the refs are a factor, fine. I mostly agree but I also know that in close games, it can come down to one missed play call and vs PIT it probably did.

He didn’t say the refs aren’t a factor.   Of course there are refs who make bad calls.

What he said was that Refs don’t make BIASED (your word) calls.   There’s a big difference between BAD calls and BIASED calls. 

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The Bill's ran up the score board against the Broncos and Patriots and your calling them Dangerous?

You don’t think the Bills are dangerous?  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He didn’t say the refs aren’t a factor.   Of course there are refs who make bad calls.

What he said was that Refs don’t make BIASED (your word) calls.   There’s a big difference between BAD calls and BIASED calls. 

You don’t think the Bills are dangerous?  

umm heck no. Have you been watching this NFL season? many teams have blown out teams only to lose the following week. I believe this year anyone has a chance but no no one is dangerous this year

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I saw a few plays where the was a gigantic whole up the middle, and blitzing then would have worked.  I wonder if a defensive player can decide to blitz if he sees something like that.

I'd say the chances are somewhat low on a typical C2 or rip/liz set. Now if they put a spy on Allen, which would make sense in some plays, I could see the spy having that latitude (or in this case longitude lol). No spy needed for Ben, so doubt the LBs had that option a lot if at all given their short passing.

I will say that if/when we are eliminated, I will be rooting for the Bills. They have never had much success and the few seasons they have had succes (four Super Bowls in a row) they have had horrible luck (losing all four Super Bowls). Also, they hate the Patriots, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Honestly, I’m ok with anyone in the playoff picture right now winning the Super Bowl outside of the steelers, titans, and Brady

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Hopefully we get Pitt again. I want some sweet revenge and if the refs screw us again it will be Nationally recognized...

1) They didn't the first time and won't in what I pray is a rematch.

2) no one out side this board will care if this "screwing" happens again.

Archived