Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich said they dont need to run more in second half.

TimetobringDfence!

17 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Am I mistaken in that there is a very easy solution to prevent the defense from being in a stacked box ... that you go spread out offence with 3 WRs and one TE with one RB, thus making it very dangerous to stack the box and completely opening up the field to play action possibilities?  It sure seems to me that the most effective runs come when the offence is spread out, thus forcing the defence to also spread out, thus causing many more open lanes.

I am really growing to hate this two TE, tight  formation bias, especially when the TEs are plodding possession guys incapable of creating big plays.

Keep the offence in spread formations!  Use 3 receivers or split backfields with both Taylor and Hines on the field at the same time.  Team’s most explosive players ... Bloody well use them together to create mismatches!  It’s not rocket science.  

Amen to this...I thought I was the only one. I hate 12 personnel...and have for a long time. It just kneecaps the explosiveness of an offense and forces them to shorten the field.

Basically, the passing options are a plodding Jack Doyle running some crossing route or a Trey Burton dumpoff (that the defense has no reason to defend because he's going to get 7-8 yards at most).

To make matters worse...at some point early in the season...Reich must have wrote on a post-it note somewhere..."don't let MAC run deep routes no matter what." The dude is a giant and I can't remember the last time they went downfield to him.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Good point, Burton has been very disappointing.  Hell even if they stack the box I still say run JT when you have a double digit lead. Or at least runs some screen or short slants when they run blitz. It seemed like we were going for homeruns like we were the ones playing catch up, even with the lead. Frank puzzles me at times. Great plays and designs, but when teams adjust he seems to get out coached.

Only if you were expecting anything more than 40 year-old TE in a 29 year-old body who has trouble catching the ball at times.  Colts would definitely compete for the slowest TE group in the NFL...they are all slow.

But to be fair...for a cheap flyer signing...Burton has returned value. But a player like Burton doesn't move the needle.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

This. . . 

We most certainly do not have a top 5 OL with 2 backup tackles in the game.  

Quite frankly given the Steelers D and the fact that we were missing both our tackles I'm surprised that the Colts did as well as they did.  I didn't get the game televised, I listened to it on the radio and when I heard that we were missing Castonzo and Smith I briefly considered not even listening to the game.  

Frank Reich gets honestly too little credit for the wins we get but everyone piles on him after a loss.  

Does anyone want to give Frank Reich credit that he pushed for Rivers when people insisted at the beginning of the season that he was washed up and said we should start Easton? (Despite the fact that we had a winning record).   On that matter does anyone want to give Frank a little bit of credit for improving Phillip's stats.  Phillip this year has half as many INT's as he did last year and the same number of TD's as last year.  Phillip has a slightly higher completion percentage as last year, the same yards per attempt as last year, and a 10 point higher passer rating.

Does Reich get credit for any of that?   Or is he somehow never the cause of anything good that happens around here but always responsible for every single loss?  

I think Reich gets plenty of credit...but you aren't wrong...he gets a lot of blame for losses. I don't think he's above criticism...but I also think that people sometimes overrate the talent of the Colts...and because of that...there has to be a reason for why they don't win a given game. 

Also, if Reich gets blame for the offense...then Flus should get equal blame when the "vaunted" defense gets picked apart for an entire half...which has happened several weeks recently. 

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Reich gets plenty of credit...but you aren't wrong...he gets a lot of blame for losses. I don't think he's above criticism...but I also think that people sometimes overrate the talent of the Colts...and because of that...there has to be a reason for why they don't win a given game. 

Also, if Reich gets blame for the offense...then Flus should get equal blame when the "vaunted" defense gets picked apart for an entire half...which has happened several weeks recently. 

Your right about Flus too 

I listened to Reich's press conference yesterday. He noted that a lot of plays were changed at the line by Rivers. He reviewed those calls  when watching the tape and found 80% of them to be solid decisions by Rivers.  Reich said he would 2nd guess his (Reich's) decision to throw deep on the pick. Said we just got to about mid field on a 10 yard burst by Taylor and we should have run the ball there with 6 + minus on the clock. that is the call he made that he regretted.

the issue Sunday was that steelers loaded up the box which forced us to go downfield more. that would have been OK but we were playing without both of our starting tackles which allowed Steelers to put more pressure on the QB. Rivers was sacked 4 times and there were a lot of passes that were hurried and off target due to pressure on the QB. Steelers exploited a real weakness . Green is garbage and Holden is at best adequate. When Holden got hurt we put in Webb and he  looked very over matched. I am not sure why we did not put Nelson at LT and put Pinter or Hunt in as LG.

20 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Am I mistaken in that there is a very easy solution to prevent the defense from being in a stacked box ... that you go spread out offence with 3 WRs and one TE with one RB, thus making it very dangerous to stack the box and completely opening up the field to play action possibilities?  It sure seems to me that the most effective runs come when the offence is spread out, thus forcing the defence to also spread out, thus causing many more open lanes.

I am really growing to hate this two TE, tight  formation bias, especially when the TEs are plodding possession guys incapable of creating big plays.

Keep the offence in spread formations!  Use 3 receivers or split backfields with both Taylor and Hines on the field at the same time.  Team’s most explosive players ... Bloody well use them together to create mismatches!  It’s not rocket science.  

Brother, preach!! 

Thanks, one of my fave posts I've seen about our offense in a long time. I hate when we go to jumbo on 3rd and one. Spread it out! And put the ball in your playmakers hands to win the game.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Listening to Move the Sticks podcast with Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah and 2 quotes  stick out:

1. Colts converted only ONE 3rd down in the second half.

2. The Colts got away from what was workin in terms of the run

Colts were just on the opposite end of how some of their recent games have played out...get a big lead and then forget how to play football in the 2nd half while the other team comes back and takes the win. 

17 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I would agree with that.  This is a good team but it's not a great team.  

And our defense has shown that while it can stifle lesser QB's, when playing against a good QB it can just as easily get picked apart.  

One thing we don't have is a dominate pass rusher.  We have some good ones but no great ones.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would agree with that.  This is a good team but it's not a great team.  

And our defense has shown that while it can stifle lesser QB's, when playing against a good QB it can just as easily get picked apart.  

One thing we don't have is a dominate pass rusher.  We have some good ones but no great ones.  

Yep...the best way to maximize Buckner is to find a stud pass rusher who can win 1-1 consistently.

Ngakoue would be a great fit...but he will be way too expensive. Same with Okwara I would think.

I don't think they can really bank on guys like Turay, Banogu and Lewis staying healthy and/or making that type of jump.

Ultimately, barring a big trade, I think they will re-sign Houston and draft one early. 

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Holder has a inflated ego. He thinks he knows more then everyone else about football What Reich said is correct but then the question is why not change your groupings or some screen passes to defeat the blitz.

I think it’s just funny that everyone besides the Colts beat writers are all saying the same thing. It’s comical at this point. This loss is on Reich. People are acting as if the Steelers just had theses miraculous adjustments that there was simply no answer for at all. 

I do t even live in the state but what a sad day for the Indianapolis media.

Archived