Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich said they dont need to run more in second half.

TimetobringDfence!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

I still say you run until they prove they are slowing it down at least mix it up. That's one play to use as an example of them loading. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

JT had no problem gaining yards and getting tds when the loaded the line in the first half. They're trying to save face instead of owning up.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s one play. Show how stacked the box was on the first drive of the 2nd half when Taylor went for like 11 yards

Key word after the first drive. The Colts simply didn’t execute and Steelers adjusted much better in the second half on both sides the Colts didn’t.

Frank is Pagano 2.0. Just my opinion. A great voice, respected man, and nice guy. I like the man's guts on 4th downs but he has abandoned the run continuosly all year. He puts blind faith into Rivers  and doesn't grasp his limitations. I think Phil is a great player and capable of winning us a superbowl if we utilize our personel better. But I'm staring to think Frank can't do it. I hope I have to eat crow and I am wrong, but my gut is saying otherwise. I'd hate to see us stick with him calling plays a few more seasons to see him make same mistakes with no adjustments.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

He's not wrong. There were maybe one or two plays where i felt he should have run and bled time but really, it was a case of being behind in the count most of the 2nd half. You cannot keep running into stacked boxes.

What about the 1st down deep in pitts territory on the play action sack. People were criticizing JT for missing a block he had no chance on by play design.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Key word after the first drive. The Colts simply didn’t execute and Steelers adjusted much better in the second half.

My point obviously is that wasn’t the first time they stacked the box. Frank let Rivers check out of runs repeatedly and then force a deep ball on 1st and 10 that resulted in a pick

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What about the 1st down deep in pitts territory on the play action sack. People were criticizing JT for missing a block he had no chance on by play design.

I don't remember the play you're alluding to. The one block I remember JT whiffing on was the one where he took the wrong side to make the block i.e. he went right instead of left and Rivers got destroyed. That play was on JT.

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Another excellent thread going into the details. It’s easy to say they what they should’ve done but at the end of the day Colts didn’t execute and prolong drives.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I don't remember the play you're alluding to. The one block I remember JT whiffing on was the one where he took the wrong side to make the block i.e. he went right instead of left and Rivers got destroyed. That play was on JT.

He didn't take the wrong side it was a play action pass with him going right.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We were up by ten at that point and should have stuck with run game with the lead. Just my observation.

I get your point but our issue was a failure to execute. The Steelers wanted a balanced game and were running the ball and it did diddly poo for them. In the 2nd half, Ben went YOLO and threw on almost every down and beat us. Sometimes the right balance is 90-10 PASS. 50-50 isnt always right.

To me, the only advantage of running would have been to kill clock. And when you have that mentality versus a team like PIT who clearly had our defense figured out, it won't matter. After all, they put up 21 points in what felt like 7mins. The baseline is we needed to execute and failed woefully on that count.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Look at the play design. He went to where the fake was Supposed to be. He had no chance. It was the perfect call for Pitt

Just now, Colt.45 said:

I get your point but our issue was a failure to execute. The Steelers wanted a balanced game and were running the ball and it did diddly poo for them. In the 2nd half, Ben went YOLO and threw on almost every down and beat us. Sometimes the right balance is 90-10 PASS. 50-50 isnt always right.

To me, the only advantage of running would have been to kill clock. And when you have that mentality versus a team like PIT who clearly had our defense figured out, it won't matter. After all, they put up 21 points in what felt like 7mins. The baseline is we needed to execute and failed woefully on that count.

I get if your down go with the pass, but when Pitt cut the lead to 10. We just went all pass from there with a double digit lead.

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Look at the play design. He went to where the fake was Supposed to be. He had no chance. It was the perfect call for Pitt

Yeah, I remember this play. I don't know who's at fault for that. We can't say for certain that it was on Reich.

11 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Frank is Pagano 2.0. Just my opinion. A great voice, respected man, and nice guy. I like the man's guts on 4th downs but he has abandoned the run continuosly all year. He puts blind faith into Rivers  and doesn't grasp his limitations. I think Phil is a great player and capable of winning us a superbowl if we utilize our personel better. But I'm staring to think Frank can't do it. I hope I have to eat crow and I am wrong, but my gut is saying otherwise. I'd hate to see us stick with him calling plays a few more seasons to see him make same mistakes with no adjustments.

Pagano 2.0? Interesting. He's winning with a QB who's far less than what Pagano had. I don't agree with this. 

Reich has hidden a lot of Rivers limitations. The Colts have been in one game this season where they absolutely should have lost (the 2nd Titans game). I think sometimes as fans, we dont look around the league to see what's going on elsewhere so we think we have it bad.

Yeah, I remember this play. I don't know who's at fault for that. We can't say for certain that it was on Reich.

No it's not Reichs fault the play got blown up. I'm just belly aching after the fact. But I feel like that's when we could have pounded the rock and stopped their momentum while eating up clock. Easy for me to say after the fact.

Pagano 2.0? Interesting. He's winning with a QB who's far less than what Pagano had. I don't agree with this. 

Reich has hidden a lot of Rivers limitations. The Colts have been in one game this season where they absolutely should have lost (the 2nd Titans game). I think sometimes as fans, we dont look around the league to see what's going on elsewhere so we think we have it bad.

I agree to an extent. Frank has great formations and plays. I compare him to Chuck because they both seem to lack the right time factor to adjust or not adjust. I feel like it got in Reichs head Pitt was building momentum and cut the lead to 10. He went straight play shoot out with Ben instead letting JT pound the rock.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yes Pagano had Luck. But Frank has a GM who has loaded this team with great talent. Outside of QB the Colts are so much better than when Pagano was here. Yet we are losing games we should have taken care of business.

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The bad calls definately aided the swing but I agree Pitt was picking our D apart and the pass rush was non existent. Another coaching problem but I guess that's on Eberflus.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The problem with Reich is no adjustments. Change your personell to a big run package. Stop treating a bad RT as if they are as good as your starting RT.  Where was short screen passes to loosen up the box. 

activate patmon. Let's see what  he can do

Guys like Holder never want to blame the Colts for anything. They just like to chalk it up to “the Colts just didn’t execute”. He’s a journalist. He’s supposed to be objective.

I don’t care about stacked boxes. The Colts have a top 5 O-line and a 17 point lead. It’s basic football to run the ball when you’re up 3 scores. Even if you’re not successful, you take time off the clock. But even then, where was Hines in the short passing game? Where was the screen plays? Why are they acting like you can only run it up the middle? Get the TEs on the edge and run stretch to the outside. I understand Holder has a job to do but trying to cover for Reich as if it wasn’t on him (Eberflus deserves credit too) is silly.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Guys like Holder never want to blame the Colts for anything. They just like to chalk it up to “the Colts just didn’t execute”. He’s a journalist. He’s supposed to be objective.

I don’t care about stacked boxes. The Colts have a top 5 O-line and a 17 point lead. It’s basic football to run the ball when you’re up 3 scores. Even if you’re not successful, you take time off the clock. But even then, where was Hines in the short passing game? Where was the screen plays? Why are they acting like you can only run it up the middle? Get the TEs on the edge and run stretch to the outside. I understand Holder has a job to do but trying to cover for Reich as if it wasn’t on him (Eberflus deserves credit too) is silly.

Exactly we gunning the ball deep like we were playing catch up with a lead.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The problem with Reich is no adjustments. Change your personell to a big run package. Stop treating a bad RT as if they are as good as your starting RT.  Where was short screen passes to loosen up the box. 

There were adjustments they often had a TE or WR chip the DE, to slow down the rush

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You do make some points but refer to the quote below about not running, its easy to say run the ball but you have to listen to situation and ball placement too.

57 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Also we did not have a top 5 O-Line on sunday, Braden smith, Castonzo, and while some people hate Clark he was also missing then we had Holden out for the second half so the quality of LT and RT were severely lacking going against a great pass rush.

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The worm has already started to turned on this one. Look at what happened to Manish Mehta. The Jets pulled his credentials because they were tired of him, and it cost him his job. 

Now that is, of course, an extreme case. Mehta hasn’t written of the Jets in a toxic manner in years.

But, they got away with it.

They choose who gets the premium access for coverage. Guys like Holder, they have to toe a line to keep that access.

Used to publications had the upper hand to stop it. If the Colts told a writer from the Star they weren’t allowed to have any more access because of negative press (although not in such a direct way, they would make sure it was legal) the Star would in turn just say “fine, we won’t publicize anything Colts related.” The farther back in time you go, the more people depended on that newspaper as their primary source to follow the Colts. 

But now there’s no one publication with the weight to push back against the NFL saying “we will no longer be allowing ___ media access”. They’ll just get rid of the person creating the issue and find someone who won’t. The league is now its own media source, so why put up with any external headache?

Guys like Holder, they’re just making sure not to make too many waves. 

**Edited to add**
Sorry for flying off into the weeds, that’s just something that I’ve noticed through the years, but the recent firing of Mehta, as toxic as he was, was a pretty impressive flex from the league, and I worry what that slippery slope could lead to...

It happened in professional wrestling. Vince McMahon shut everyone out of covering the WWF because he wanted to control how, and by whom it was covered, and suddenly everyone not under the WWF umbrella was just left to fend on their own. And Vince tried. He got together a group of the 10 best people extensively covering professional wrestling in the early 90s and he told them they could either come work for him and do whatever he wanted them to do, or they and their publications would be blacklisted forever. And that’s just what happened. Now WWE controls and provides their own coverage. 

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

There were adjustments they often had a TE or WR chip the DE, to slow down the rush

I agree they adjusted to help out the Tackles. But that's because we going into shoot out mode with a lead. And we had players out. I'm talking in game adjustments like throwing shorter behind the rush on screens and slants. Or not adjusting to pass more when we have the lead and are capable of running. 

27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You do make some points but refer to the quote below about not running, its easy to say run the ball but you have to listen to situation and ball placement too.

Also we did not have a top 5 O-Line on sunday, Braden smith, Castonzo, and while some people hate Clark he was also missing then we had Holden out for the second half so the quality of LT and RT were severely lacking going against a great pass rush.

They were still running well behind them guys the first half, even when the box was stacked.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Key word after the first drive. The Colts simply didn’t execute and Steelers adjusted much better in the second half on both sides the Colts didn’t.

The Colts drove it down the field on the first drive, with runs and passes, then elected to pass on 3rd and 3...where a run could have easily got the first down, IMHO.

Archived