Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Castonzo retire?? / Castonzo having season-ending ankle surgery (merge)

Colts1324

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since he wanted to retire before the season I can imagine that he wants to retire now. Makes you wonder what the long-term fix is here. You can only imagine they’re going to go after attack on the first round or find one in free agency. Option ex it would be to move Nelson to left tackle for the long term. Is your big shoes to fill

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve been saying it for awhile now but I’ll reiterate: You must draft a LT in the 1st round in 2021. 

I will never understand why people get so infatuated with the round a player must be drafted in. Ballard for damn sure does not think that way. 

The Colts will address the o’line and specifically tackle this off season but it may not be in the first round. 

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I believe you are overthinking this. 

I could be, but our offseason may be just 1 week away so if  he just wanted to wait till our season was over, he wouldn't have to do this right now but if he does plan to return, then having the surgery as soon as possible makes sense.

• Nadine changed the title to Will Castonzo retire?? / Castonzo having season-ending ankle surgery (merge)
11 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I will never understand why people get so infatuated with the round a player must be drafted in. Ballard for damn sure does not think that way. 

The Colts will address the o’line and specifically tackle this off season but it may not be in the first round. 

Because LT talent that falls to the second and third rounds is not good enough to start right away.  

If we need a LT to replace AC come day 1, that player needs to be taken 1st round.  No other position is an option.  And if the draft falls wrong where all of the good ones will be taken before our spot, Ballard needs to trade up.  Reaching is not an option either (like it ever is)

8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I could be, but our offseason may be just 1 week away so if  he just wanted to wait till our season was over, he wouldn't have to do this right now but if he does plan to return, then having the surgery as soon as possible makes sense.

I don't think there is a "Choice" issue here. He can't get it right....they are trying to win football games, they need his roster spot to continue on the season. There are no tea leaves to read here....jmo. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I don't think there is a "Choice" issue here. He can't get it right....they are trying to win football games, they need his roster spot to continue on the season. There are no tea leaves to read here....jmo. 

Yeah right, the cupboard is almost empty no way he’s having surgery unless he has to. He’s such a savage for finishing the game. AC is a colts tough SOB. 

Go Colts.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Might as well miss the playoffs and take the higher draft pick. I hope he comes back. LT is now the number one priority in the draft.

Not the right attitude.

Too many teams in past were counted out and then made a strong playoff run.

Once you get in, crazy things can happen.

Plus, the playoffs is a reward and honor for these guys.... regardless of what fans think.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

So in consecutive weeks, both Buckner & Castonzo have hurt their ankles during the "hard" Thursday practices - might be time for Reich to chill out a little!

Frank talked about the ‘hard practice’. Says to be a SB winning team you can not avoid it.

His contract isn’t guaranteed so he could say yeah I am goinf to retire without feeling like he took advantage of the colts signing him for geo years. Hopefully he finishes his contract. 

If Holden comes back for the playoffs I would keep him at LT so the interior stays intact. If he can’t go then you have to move Nelson to LT. Hunt can then play LG. It will be easier to help Holden with smith back. But Holden held up pretty good against the Steelers.

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

That makes sense, I hadn't even considered the roster implications.

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Time to rest the starters...

Why not just forfeit instead, and start our vacations?

23 minutes ago, JackOLantin said:

Frank talked about the ‘hard practice’. Says to be a SB winning team you can not avoid it.

Maybe so, but if you're hurting your best linemen on both sides of the ball in "practice", you may need to tweak your techniques a little bit.

46 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If there was a chance to rerun this year they would have said so. They would not have said out for the season. 

He is likely having surgery today to get back to living a normal life and start his rehab sooner than later. 

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Because LT talent that falls to the second and third rounds is not good enough to start right away.  

If we need a LT to replace AC come day 1, that player needs to be taken 1st round.  No other position is an option.  And if the draft falls wrong where all of the good ones will be taken before our spot, Ballard needs to trade up.  Reaching is not an option either (like it ever is)

What if AC comes back?  Makes the need a little less rushed.  Maybe where they can draft a developmental guy in later rounds. 

What if a QB they love is there when they pick or the trade up comp is not too severe?  That becomes immediately more important need. 

There are any number of scenarios that could pop up and make a position other than tackle the pick in the first round. 

There is not a snowballs chance in hell Ballard will pigeonhole himself into the only option in round 1 is a tackle. 

16 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

If there was a chance to rerun this year they would have said so. They would not have said out for the season. 

He is likely having surgery today to get back to living a normal life and start his rehab sooner than later. 

I didn't think he planned to return this year, your speculation could be correct (if he intends to retire) but if he plans to rehab and play next season, then having the surgery sooner rather than later makes alot of sense, in addition to freeing up a much needed roster spot since he isn't going to be able to play again this season no matter how far we go. 

27 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This^ and I’ll add, the longer you put off  surgery, the more you have to deal with scar tissue. This is especially true with ankle injuries. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

His contract isn’t guaranteed so he could say yeah I am goinf to retire without feeling like he took advantage of the colts signing him for geo years. Hopefully he finishes his contract. 

If Holden comes back for the playoffs I would keep him at LT so the interior stays intact. If he can’t go then you have to move Nelson to LT. Hunt can then play LG. It will be easier to help Holden with smith back. But Holden held up pretty good against the Steelers.

A strong guess here.  I think AC floated the retirement thing last year because he wasn't going to bust his butt to play when the offense was so incompetent.  Last year, we started off 5-2.  Then when the NFL had a bead on JB we went 1 and 8.  That was the future, because the NFL had figured out JB, this season was going to look like the last half of last season unless changes were made to the offense talent.

At 1 and 8, we were one of the worst teams in the NFL in 2019, and would have been this year in 2020 too.

I think Ballard let AC know that he was going to get a QB to step in, and AC signed his two year deal.

Bottom line, I think AC will come back if he thinks his efforts are going somewhere positive, unless the ankle is just too severe to make the work/benefit ratio make sense.

Archived