Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Castonzo retire?? / Castonzo having season-ending ankle surgery (merge)

Colts1324

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I will never understand why people get so infatuated with the round a player must be drafted in. Ballard for damn sure does not think that way. 

The Colts will address the o’line and specifically tackle this off season but it may not be in the first round. 

Well some people here think a quality LT is of the most important need and some have this crazy notion that the higher you draft a player the better chance of him actually being good. Lol

But yes as long as LT is adequately addressed  it doesn't  matter when or how.

I was shocked to hear the news but at least the Colts have some options. If they can just get passed the Jags and into the playoffs, I’m feeling okay with Holden or Nelson at LT.

The Colts have looked decent at times this year. They can’t afford “friendly fire”, if they want to have a shot. 

I believe Castanzo retires. A player who had to b coaxed back for another go and is now facing surgery. That is not a good sign. I believe if he does retire, so does Rivers if we dont make the playoffs. That will leave them needing a LT and qb. I believe they will make a strong push for Wentz if they dont believe he is to damaged. They will not want to go into the draft needing a LT and possibly a  qb. 

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I believe Castanzo retires. A player who had to b coaxed back for another go and is now facing surgery. That is not a good sign. I believe if he does retire, so does Rivers if we dont make the playoffs. That will leave them needing a LT and qb. I believe they will make a strong push for Wentz if they dont believe he is to damaged. They will not want to go into the draft needing a LT and possibly a  qb. 

If we go after any veteran it should be Stafford or Rodgers 

26 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well some people here think a quality LT is of the most important need and some have this crazy notion that the higher you draft a player the better chance of him actually being good. Lol

But yes as long as LT is adequately addressed  it doesn't  matter when or how.

An LT may in fact be the biggest need once the draft rolls around.  But Ballard will, and I say this with 100% certainty, not go into the draft with the idea that the only position that can be taken in round 1 is a tackle because that is the biggest need.  That is not how good teams look at the draft.

Hopefully AC comes back next year. That is ultimately best case scenario.

Only positive of his retirement is it would clear $16m in cap space and addes to our $67m(might be a little less with JV signing) would give us $80+m to spend.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

An LT may in fact be the biggest need once the draft rolls around.  But Ballard will, and I say this with 100% certainty, not go into the draft with the idea that the only position that can be taken in round 1 is a tackle because that is the biggest need.  That is not how good teams look at the draft.

And....it's not in a vacuum. That isn't the only position that needs important attention. If Ballard felt that TE for instance, need a high end player, he might take one in front of the other depending on how his big board laid out depth for each position. 

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

And....it's not in a vacuum. That isn't the only position that needs important attention. If Ballard felt that TE for instance, need a high end player, he might take one in front of the other depending on how his big board laid out depth for each position. 

100% correct.  I am surprised to need to post about this in December,  Normally it is in my March and April posts.

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hopefully AC comes back next year. That is ultimately best case scenario.

Only positive of his retirement is it would clear $16m in cap space and addes to our $67m(might be a little less with JV signing) would give us $80+m to spend.

I kinda want Liam from Notre Dame 

49 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Well I said as long as LT is adequately addressed,  it doesn't matter when or how.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

So he’s no Andrew Luck then.

I don’t get why folks in here bag on Andrew Luck, and question his heart & loyalty.  The timing of his sudden retirement was inconvenient at best, but he was in a circular cycle of injuries, rehabilitation, more injuries & rehab. It sucked the joy out of pro football for him he decided that he’d rather enjoy life with his family & some modicum of good health, so he retired – I’ll never blame an athlete for walking away while they can still walk without a pronounced limp, nor would I fault one for playing as long as they possibly can.

I think another factor in Andrew’s decision was Jacoby Brissett – he may have his limitations, but he’s a capable, veteran QB with starting experience and a Superbowl ring, albeit as a backup but with him in the fold, I’m pretty sure Luck didn’t he was leaving the team that he loved and who loved him back, in too much of a bind.

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It was a half speed workout

I don't know about that, I've listened to all of Reich's press conferences, and he uses the term "full speed" in reference to practice an awful lot.

23 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don’t get why folks in here bag on Andrew Luck, and question his heart & loyalty.  The timing of his sudden retirement was inconvenient at best, but he was in a circular cycle of injuries, rehabilitation, more injuries & rehab. It sucked the joy out of pro football for him he decided that he’d rather enjoy life with his family & some modicum of good health, so he retired – I’ll never blame an athlete for walking away while they can still walk without a pronounced limp, nor would I fault one for playing as long as they possibly can.

I think another factor in Andrew’s decision was Jacoby Brissett – he may have his limitations, but he’s a capable, veteran QB with starting experience and a Superbowl ring, albeit as a backup but with him in the fold, I’m pretty sure Luck didn’t he was leaving the team that he loved and who loved him back, in too much of a bind.

I don't know about that, I've listened to all of Reich's press conferences, and he uses the term "full speed" in reference to practice an awful lot.

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/how-should-the-colts-replace-anthony-castonzo-for-the-rest-of-the-season/

23 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree with Ballards build the trenches method. I think a LT is now our biggest need if Anothony hangs it up. Either Quinton Nelson or Braden Smith move to LT or we use our first pick on one. Our biggest needs will be LT, DE, CB, and TE...

Since we have no future QB that is always going to be the number one need until they find it. So if there is one that they have to have and fall in love with that should be the first priority. LT is first if there isn’t a obtainable QB they love.  Even if Rivers comes back.   It’s going to come down to is there a tackle that is worth a first pick if there is not a QB. If Rivers comes back we do have to make sure that position is fixed though.

42 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

He enjoyed the pro bowl a few months earlier and when he quit it really screwed the Colts and the fans. The timing couldn’t have been worse. And to cap it off,  Irsay gave him 26 million to have a nice day. As a fan it really chaps my *.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Since we have no future QB that is always going to be the number one need until they find it. So if there is one that they have to have and fall in love with that should be the first priority. LT is first if there isn’t a obtainable QB they love.  Even if Rivers comes back.   It’s going to come down to is there a tackle that is worth a first pick if there is not a QB. If Rivers comes back we do have to make sure that position is fixed though.

We drafted Eason lol and Frank and Ballard speak highly of his progress.

Not sure about the details of the injury and recovery time, but I'm almost of the mind to say he just retire. He's getting top 5 pay, and not performing at a top 20 level. I'm not saying dump him, or we are better without him, etc.. I am saying he's overpaid for level of performance, and if he's not more or less guaranteed to be 100% by next season, we should just move on. I was hoping to get one more year out of him, and not have to use a high draft pick on a T, or spend a mint in FA. We're already spending a mint, so that's not a concern if he retires. A lot of FA LTs would love to play next to Q.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Not sure about the details of the injury and recovery time, but I'm almost of the mind to say he just retire. He's getting top 5 pay, and not performing at a top 20 level. I'm not saying dump him, or we are better without him, etc.. I am saying he's overpaid for level of performance, and if he's not more or less guaranteed to be 100% by next season, we should just move on. I was hoping to get one more year out of him, and not have to use a high draft pick on a T, or spend a mint in FA. We're already spending a mint, so that's not a concern if he retires. A lot of FA LTs would love to play next to Q.

Drafting is our main option we have proven young talent to pay.

51 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't really care to bag on him, but I'm not going to worship the guy either. A lot of players get hurt and go through the recovery cycle, so it doesn't make him special to me. He doesn't need FB/paycheck like most of the players who fight over and over again against injuries. I honestly don't care to debate his "heart", but it's a fair critique. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I guess he is not established yet, but we could grab a cheaper vet than Rivers like Fitzpatrick type so they and Brissette are insurance if Eason fails. I'd wait another season to draft another 1st round QB.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Even if he comes back we still needed to draft the future LT.  But to your point by drafting the future in the first it would save quite a bit of money if he did.  He was fine this season. There usually aren’t any good FA tackles anyway. If they bring rivers back and AC does retire though that puts us in a bad position. You have to find a good one because of Rivers and If a QB is there that puts us in bad predicament.  This team is still ways away from SB contenders. 

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Drafting is our main option we have proven young talent to pay.

Depends on a lot of things. If for instance we don't resign Rivers, and roll with Eason, we just saved a ton in cap. If Houston is not resigned, a lot more. Castonzo is 17Mish savings. There's a lot of pushes and pulls. 

We're going to have to go early on DE or LT, and whatever we don't go early on, we'll need to insert a ready to play FA. That's assuming we don't resign Houston. And there's also Autry to potentially replace. We have a lot of moving parts at key positions after this season.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I guess he is not established yet, but we could grab a cheaper vet than Rivers like Fitzpatrick type so they and Brissette are insurance if Eason fails. I'd wait another season to draft another 1st round QB.

It all comes down to what they think of Eason. For all we know they are falling in love with him.  But you never pass up on a QB if you have identified the next guy and he is obtainable. You just don’t know what will be in the next draft. So when you have identified him go and try and get him.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Even if he comes back we still needed to draft the future LT.  But to your point by drafting the future in the first it would save quite a bit of money if he did.  He was fine this season. There usually aren’t any good FA tackles anyway. If they bring rivers back and AC does retire though that puts us in a bad position. You have to find a good one because of Rivers and If a QB is there that puts us in bad predicament.  This team is still ways away from SB contenders. 

If AC stays, we don't need to draft a LT early. We could wait another year and draft early next year, or draft 2R or middle rounds project this year. 1st round LTs should be ready-to-play picks. They don't need to sit behind a guy for a year. Sitting one is just a waste of a cheap year. If AC does comeback, I'd draft a 2nd through 4th round guy and develop and work in over 21. 

And all that assumes Reich and Strausser don't want to give Smith or Nelson a shot at LT. I personally would prefer Nelson to stay at LG, but I think he's fully capable of being a LT. Smith is a guy though I think can step right in and be as good as AC (so long as he's not a pure 1 sided guy).

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Depends on a lot of things. If for instance we don't resign Rivers, and roll with Eason, we just saved a ton in cap. If Houston is not resigned, a lot more. Castonzo is 17Mish savings. There's a lot of pushes and pulls. 

We're going to have to go early on DE or LT, and whatever we don't go early on, we'll need to insert a ready to play FA. That's assuming we don't resign Houston. And there's also Autry to potentially replace. We have a lot of moving parts at key positions after this season.

If they find that LT in the draft that can play right away the best option might be to let AC go to upgrade other areas. Houston and Autry will be interesting. I think Autry should come back and Houston is a great veteran. But is that worth bringing them back. I guess it depends on what you can replace them with and how much.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If AC stays, we don't need to draft a LT early. We could wait another year and draft early next year, or draft 2R or middle rounds project this year. 1st round LTs should be ready-to-play picks. They don't need to sit behind a guy for a year. Sitting one is just a waste of a cheap year. If AC does comeback, I'd draft a 2nd through 4th round guy and develop and work in over 21. 

And all that assumes Reich and Strausser don't want to give Smith or Nelson a shot at LT. I personally would prefer Nelson to stay at LG, but I think he's fully capable of being a LT. Smith is a guy though I think can step right in and be as good as AC (so long as he's not a pure 1 sided guy).

You might be right. We could draft one in the second if he stays.  That would be a good backup for a year and hopefully can play the following year.  We will draft 2 I bet in the draft. We need to just go get our own because there isn’t that many good ones on the market.

I think Nelson needs to stay at guard too. He is a all pro there. Would he be a all pro LT. I don’t know. But for the short term we have him to use him so we should. 

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

All I know is I've heard Frank talk alot about the hard Thursday practices, but I've never heard anything about this half-speed crap until people started to question why our most valuable linemen kept tweaking ankles, and Castonzo wasn't able to return.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they find that LT in the draft that can play right away the best option might be to let AC go to upgrade other areas. Houston and Autry will be interesting. I think Autry should come back and Houston is a great veteran. But is that worth bringing them back. I guess it depends on what you can replace them with and how much.

we're not paying a ton for Houston and Autry, and they won't be crazy expensive to keep. Best thing IMO, is to resign both to 2 year deals. Houston, while a bit short on sacks this year, is still playing at a high level, despite sharing food with Buckner.

But yes, if we draft a 1R LT, no need to keep AC unless we just want the security. I'd do it if we're sticking with Rivers one more year, but if we move to Eason, I'd let AC go. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

we're not paying a ton for Houston and Autry, and they won't be crazy expensive to keep. Best thing IMO, is to resign both to 2 year deals. Houston, while a bit short on sacks this year, is still playing at a high level, despite sharing food with Buckner.

But yes, if we draft a 1R LT, no need to keep AC unless we just want the security. I'd do it if we're sticking with Rivers one more year, but if we move to Eason, I'd let AC go. 

I really wish there would be a high quality DE in 1st in 21 but since there probably won't be then LT or QB is the way to go 

Archived