Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the odd team out (Merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, yankeeclipper said:

We  can rest our players if we are eliminated before our 4:25PM start  since the game becomes meaningless. Otherwise we have to play everyone to win.  We struggle against Jax and who knows if the steeler loss has a lingering effect on this team's psyche. it is hard to overcome a loss when  you are up 24-7 and lose 28-24. 

The Titans play at 4:25 as well, so we cannot be eliminated before then.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Pats win tonite it puts Bills 1 game behind Pitt, it would def reinforce Pitt playing everyone to get 2 seed and home field until AFC title game if it played out. Conversely if Bills win they tie Pitt with tiebreaker and their win next week guarantees they play all out. So question is which squad do we want more fired up for 2 seed ?   I'm thinking Bills....but argument can be made either way.

This is my argument we are better off pats winning forcing Steelers and bills more specifically to go all out next week 

4 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

This is my argument we are better off pats winning forcing Steelers and bills more specifically to go all out next week 

I think they both will regardless of tonite's outcome: they're both playing against divisional rivals with the opportunity to eliminate them, and neither team is gonna want to enter the playoffs on a losing note. 

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

I think they both will regardless of tonite's outcome: they're both playing against divisional rivals with the opportunity to eliminate them, and neither team is gonna want to enter the playoffs on a losing note. 

That’s great news ,my Concern is that this year no bye for 2 seed .Will these teams value rest over seeding ?

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

They will both have something to play for so I agree, they will both be playing all out to win.  

I think they both lose next week, but both games will be close so they could also both win.

Just now, coltfaninnewyork said:

That’s great news ,my Concern is that this year no bye for 2 seed .Will these teams value rest over seeding ?

I doubt it.  You'd rather not play on the road.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

They will both have something to play for so I agree, they will both be playing all out to win.  

I think they both lose next week, but both games will be close so they could also both win.

I doubt it.  You'd rather not play on the road.  

Even without no real home field advantage with no or limited Fans?

Just now, coltfaninnewyork said:

Yes, no travel and besides, the weather in Buffalo or Pittsburgh in January can be an advantage in itself for those teams, especially if playing against a warm weather team like Miami or a dome team like us.  

2 hours ago, Restored said:

I think it comes down to what teams rest and what ones don’t.

From what I can gather, it looks like the Steelers are likely to rest while the Bills may not.

Are you seeing any info to support that or just taking head stuff ?

Browns underwhelm vs Ravens and Steelers consistently. Browns is the easy answer. Even when they scored 42 on the Ravens at home with everyone healthy giving it all they got, they gave up 45 points. Browns' passing D is their weakness vs the Steelers' passing offense if the Steelers ever need to mount a comeback and if Lamar can pass on them, Big Ben definitely can. Plus, Baker vs pressure is not a pretty sight. 

One thing is for sure - both Browns and Colts fans will be Bills fans next weekend when they suit up at 1 pm ET.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Browns underwhelm vs Ravens and Steelers consistently. Browns is the easy answer. Even when they scored 42 on the Ravens at home with everyone healthy giving it all they got, they gave up 45 points. Browns' passing D is their weakness vs the Steelers' passing offense if the Steelers ever need to mount a comeback and if Lamar can pass on them, Big Ben definitely can. Plus, Baker vs pressure is not a pretty sight. 

One thing is for sure - both Browns and Colts fans will be Bills fans next weekend when they suit up at 1 pm ET.

Could mason Rudolph  beat the browns

QB's we need to be rooting hard for

Brandon Allen (Cin) vs Balt

Ben/Mason Rudolph (Pit) vs Clev

Josh Allen/ Matt Barkley  (Buf) vs Miami

D Watson/A.J. McCarron (Hou) vs Tenn

Barkley scares me the most if Buff rests Allen.   Rudolph can beat Clev, Allen has actually played lights out down the stretch and 2 straight wins. McCarron hasnt done much in 5 years but everyone seems to play well  vs that tenn defense,they dont stop anyone.

39 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Have you heard of stories about Heinz field and how hard it is to kick there and play there? Not that different from the early Foxboro days when Belichick would not cover the turf and let rain and snow beat up his field to slow down Peyton and the dome offense. The Bills' identity is not running any more, second most pass happy team after the Chiefs, so take a guess where they would like to play!!! :) 

Did you see how DaVante Adams and the others had great footing on Lambeau field? Homefield advantage manifests in those small nuances. Plus, we know we have wild card round games played on Saturday now. So you could go from a Sunday game to Saturday game as a #2 to #7 seed, would you rather travel or would you not? Just things to ponder, IMO.

It is one thing to play a short week game in the regular season, another in the postseason where every hour of preparation matters.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

2020 anxiety taking over everyone w.r.t resting starter speculations in fans' heads, lol. :) 

I see the early line on the Cleveland game is 6.5 to 7 on a couple of books and is "off " on a bunch of others . So maybe he's right and Steeers are tanking it. The one I bet on has both the Miami game and Cleve game off

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Barkley scares me the most if Buff rests Allen.   Rudolph can beat Clev, Allen has actually played lights out down the stretch and 2 straight wins. McCarron hasnt done much in 5 years but everyone seems to play well  vs that tenn defense,they dont stop anyone.

I don't see why Buffalo (or Pittsburgh, for that matter) would rest their starters and risk losing, especially with the #2 seed on the line.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Have you heard of stories about Heinz field and how hard it is to kick there and play there? Not that different from the early Foxboro days when Belichick would not cover the turf and let rain and snow beat up his field to slow down Peyton and the dome offense. The Bills' identity is not running any more, second most pass happy team after the Chiefs, so take a guess where they would like to play!!! :) 

Did you see how DaVante Adams and the others had great footing on Lambeau field? Homefield advantage manifests in those small nuances. Plus, we know we have wild card round games played on Saturday now. So you could go from a Sunday game to Saturday game as a #2 to #7 seed, would you rather travel or would you not? Just things to ponder, IMO.

It is one thing to play a short week game in the regular season, another in the postseason where every hour of preparation matters.

Got you, just paranoid we will get jobbed .That made me feel better .Thanks 

13 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Aj McCarron, Matt Barkley and Mason Rudolph are starters next week.... that'd be un-good for the Colts chances.

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The Colts are at real risk of not making it. Looks like the Steelers are going to rest. Bills might not need it- I'm pretty sure they don't. Think the Bengals are beating the Ravens. I don't. I think a major bummer is set up now. 

The Bills & Steelers will be playing at the same time, and with the #2 seed on the line neither team will be "resting".

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

After that ridiculous ending to The Raider - Dolphin game , there is no doubt in my mind to who is going to be out.

Only chance we have is Buffalo winning . Tenn will score 40 vs Houston and Steelers are going to tank.

What advantage would Pittsburgh have by tanking, and letting a divisional rival advance? I think the Steelers would much rather go into the postseason on a 2 game winning streak, than having lost 4 of their previous 5!

Maybe we deserve this ? Just thinking that we had huge games vs AFC teams and only won 1 out of 5. Losing to Pitt . Balt , Tenn and Cleveland and only beating Tenn really wasn't all that impressive. Plus we were a molecule away from losing twice to Houston in that group of games. We did beat GB but our record vs those playoff teams is the reason we are needing help Sunday. 

12 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

No 

Gib question is how many receivers will Cleveland get back this week ?

Just now, dw49 said:

Maybe we deserve this ? Just thinking that we had huge games vs AFC teams and only won 1 out of 5. Losing to Pitt . Balt , Tenn and Cleveland and only beating Tenn really wasn't all that impressive. Plus we were a molecule away from losing twice to Houston in that group of games. We did beat GB but our record vs those playoff teams is the reason we are needing help Sunday. 

Yup

15 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I don’t care that fans can’t be at games. Playing at home is always better than the opposite

I agree.  The grind of traveling alone is worth something in terms of HFA.  Then you throw in things like environmental acclimation, etc.

Obviously, not having crowds reduces the value of HFA.  But it doesn't eliminate it.  I don't think this is really an either/or thing.  I think every team that matters to us is going to have something to play for in Week 17.  But I also think those teams which are already qualified for the playoffs aren't going to put the pedal to the floor.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

The Bills & Steelers will be playing at the same time, and with the #2 seed on the line neither team will be "resting".

What advantage would Pittsburgh have by tanking, and letting a divisional rival advance? I think the Steelers would much rather go into the postseason on a 2 game winning streak, than having lost 4 of their previous 5!

That 2# seed doesn't mean much and I just heard the Pitt beat writer guy saying the thinking is they're giving some guys rest. So.. we'll see. I'd rather be wrong.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Gib question is how many receivers will Cleveland get back this week ?

Yeah, our predicament here is largely self-inflicted.  Add to your list the inexplicable Week 1 loss to JAX.

But I'm still smarting big time from that debacle yesterday.  No reason at all we should've lost that game.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I agree.  The grind of traveling alone is worth something in terms of HFA.  Then you throw in things like environmental acclimation, etc.

Obviously, not having crowds reduces the value of HFA.  But it doesn't eliminate it.  I don't think this is really an either/or thing.  I think every team that matters to us is going to have something to play for in Week 17.  But I also think those teams which are already qualified for the playoffs aren't going to put the pedal to the floor.

A home team knows its field better than a road team. Bills and Steelers should be fighting like crazy for that #2 seed. Would Pittsburgh really want to go to Buffalo again? Not a chance. Vice versa as well

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

That 2# seed doesn't mean much and I just heard the Pitt beat writer guy saying the thinking is they're giving some guys rest. So.. we'll see. I'd rather be wrong.

Unless that “beat writer” was Mike Tomlin or Art Rooney II, I wouldn’t give it much credence because he’s only speculating, but not responsible or held accountable for the performance of the team.  

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, our predicament here is largely self-inflicted.  Add to your list the inexplicable Week 1 loss to JAX.

But I'm still smarting big time from that debacle yesterday.  No reason at all we should've lost that game.

I thought about adding the Jax game but I think it's a little different. In all those games I mentioned , we were playing teams we needed to beat for playoff position . You really need to win more than 1 of 5. But yeah , I'm still feeing crappy after that loss. Just needed that ridiculous block in the back call that nullified the huge game not to be called. Imo , that score would have put them away. But that second half was like a replay of the second half vs Baltimore . Not acceptable...

Archived