Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much/many fines?


Recommended Posts

“That played a big role,” Darius Leonard said of the hurtful penalties. “The one on Kenny was a terrible call. I don’t care, that was awful. And then on T.J., that was a great play, the ball wasn’t even catchable.”

Said Carrie: “This game becomes more and more difficult to play from the defensive standpoint. We played a lot of man coverage today and they’re going to get a couple here and there but a couple of them were questionable.”

 

 

Since the NFL loves to fine people for criticising the Refs, how much do you think DL and TJ and Reich will get fined for commenting at all about the refs and their crap

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I say as long as they arent threatening the Refs, they should be able to say it. The Refs dont get held accountable by the NFL anyway, or else there would be multiple crews that would be disallowed

Disciplining officials is hard because they control the integrity of the game so you almost have to do it in non-public ways.  Still I wish the owners had handled the challenge of PI differently rather than removing it.  The way you handle that is to tell the head of officials call it correctly or we will find someone who will.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Disciplining officials is hard because they control the integrity of the game so you almost have to do it in non-public ways.  Still I wish the owners had handled the challenge of PI differently rather than removing it.  The way you handle that is to tell the head of officials call it correctly or we will find someone who will.  

That would mean the NFL would give up controlling outcomes that wont happen unless viewer ratings fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Disciplining officials is hard because they control the integrity of the game so you almost have to do it in non-public ways.  Still I wish the owners had handled the challenge of PI differently rather than removing it.  The way you handle that is to tell the head of officials call it correctly or we will find someone who will.  

Too a degree, but you can also have point system where if they fall low enough they would be fired. Like any other job. The other thing is Al Riveron needs to be let go, he is terrible at reviews did you see Eagles and Dal game where Hurts "Fumbled" even on review

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Too a degree, but you can also have point system where if they fall low enough they would be fired. Like any other job. The other thing is Al Riveron needs to be let go, he is terrible at reviews did you see Eagles and Dal game where Hurts "Fumbled" even on review

I fully agree on Riveron.  He should have been fired for refusing to enforce the PI rule last year.  
 

the problem with firing someone is you have to find someone better.  Watch college games and remember the replacement officials they were worse than these guys.  Even then the NFL gets their pick of college guys.  Guys like Shawn Hochuli worked there before coming to the NFL.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It absolutely baffles me how bad some refs are. I mean you know which crews are terrible and which are good. When I saw this crew was doing our game I got very upset. Ha. I don’t understand why you can’t challenge flags nor why they never pick them up. It’s ridiculous and makes zero sense. There has to be a conspiracy or something cause it’s only common sense for you to be able to challenge a flag, I mean they’re literally watching the same time we are at really fast speed. So they’re bound to screw up. Gosh, it’s soooo dumb, I’m getting so mad writing this. I’m also convinced that they try to throw games as well. You can’t convince me otherwise after that packers game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I fully agree on Riveron.  He should have been fired for refusing to enforce the PI rule last year.  
 

the problem with firing someone is you have to find someone better.  Watch college games and remember the replacement officials they were worse than these guys.  Even then the NFL gets their pick of college guys.  Guys like Shawn Hochuli worked there before coming to the NFL.

I believe truly that Tony Dungy's idea would be better than Riveron has been, Grab 3 5 year olds and ask them to vote what it is, you are likely to get it more right than he has. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I say as long as they arent threatening the Refs, they should be able to say it. The Refs dont get held accountable by the NFL anyway, or else there would be multiple crews that would be disallowed

 

Supposedly, they are-

 

How NFL officials are graded each week: NFL officials file their game reports to the league office minutes after the final whistle. On Monday, every play is graded by the league and officials are given a report on Tuesday, highlighting incorrect or missed calls. Officials are then given a chance to offer a rebuttal before a final decision on the play is made by the league. By the end of the day on Wednesday, officials get a final grade from the game.

 

Typically, there are between 160-180 plays per game. Officials are ranked into three tiers, with the top tier averaging 98.4 percent on the season. Tier 3 officials finish with a mark below 97 percent. Those are impressive figures, but it still means officials are wrong on average of 3-5 times per game.

 

19 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

It absolutely baffles me how bad some refs are. I mean you know which crews are terrible and which are good. When I saw this crew was doing our game I got very upset. Ha.

 

If they were equally bad to both sides, it would at least be fair again.

 

Quote

I don’t understand why you can’t challenge flags nor why they never pick them up. It’s ridiculous and makes zero sense.

 

Because they're judgement calls. The the NFL would be replacing one's bad judgement with the poor judgement of another.

 

Quote

There has to be a conspiracy or something cause it’s only common sense for you to be able to challenge a flag, I mean they’re literally watching the same time we are at really fast speed. So they’re bound to screw up. Gosh, it’s soooo dumb, I’m getting so mad writing this. I’m also convinced that they try to throw games as well. You can’t convince me otherwise after that packers game. 

How could you play hard and to near or including injury if you thought the game victor was predetermined?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Supposedly, they are-

 

 

How NFL officials are graded each week: NFL officials file their game reports to the league office minutes after the final whistle. On Monday, every play is graded by the league and officials are given a report on Tuesday, highlighting incorrect or missed calls. Officials are then given a chance to offer a rebuttal before a final decision on the play is made by the league. By the end of the day on Wednesday, officials get a final grade from the game.

Typically, there are between 160-180 plays per game. Officials are ranked into three tiers, with the top tier averaging 98.4 percent on the season. Tier 3 officials finish with a mark below 97 percent. Those are impressive figures, but it still means officials are wrong on average of 3-5 times per game.

 

That just seems short, or even more so it seems they do massive misses

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

If they were equally bad to both sides, it would at least be fair again.

Just wanted to touch on this a little bit.

 

 

Yes and no, some situations are bigger than other so it wouldn't really equal out like that IMO.

 

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

How NFL officials are graded each week: NFL officials file their game reports to the league office minutes after the final whistle. On Monday, every play is graded by the league and officials are given a report on Tuesday, highlighting incorrect or missed calls. Officials are then given a chance to offer a rebuttal before a final decision on the play is made by the league. By the end of the day on Wednesday, officials get a final grade from the game.

Typically, there are between 160-180 plays per game. Officials are ranked into three tiers, with the top tier averaging 98.4 percent on the season. Tier 3 officials finish with a mark below 97 percent. Those are impressive figures, but it still means officials are wrong on average of 3-5 times per game.

Thanks great info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I say as long as they arent threatening the Refs, they should be able to say it. The Refs dont get held accountable by the NFL anyway, or else there would be multiple crews that would be disallowed

The refs don’t get held accountable?   You really believe that?    Then you’ve missed the threads we’ve had over the years where it’s revealed the NFL has a decent amount of turnover every year.   They just do it quietly.  No announcements.  The refs are graded every week as well as the end of the year. 
 

Refs are very much held accountable. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The refs don’t get held accountable?   You really believe that?    Then you’ve missed the threads we’ve had over the years where it’s revealed the NFL has a decent amount of turnover every year.   They just do it quietly.  No announcements.  The refs are graded every week as well as the end of the year. 
 

Refs are very much held accountable. 

They dont seem to be, it is routinely missed calls or calls that you have to be a certain player to get the calls. And just cause you get graded every week or end of the year doesn't mean you are held accountable. As a recent graduate, professors are graded but unless they are arrested for something they dont get removed or decreased in hours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

They dont seem to be, it is routinely missed calls or calls that you have to be a certain player to get the calls. And just cause you get graded every week or end of the year doesn't mean you are held accountable. As a recent graduate, professors are graded but unless they are arrested for something they dont get removed or decreased in hours. 

I don’t think you understand.   Every year the worst refs are fired.  Every year.   They don’t get asked back.   There is no formal announcement, but it happens.   We had this discussion either a year or two ago, and someone found the link confirming this.   The refs are held to account.   If getting fired isn’t enough,  I don’t know what to tell you....  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't trust the REFS at all. It sucks to come off looking like I am making excuses or being a whiner but this was bad today. If we do get into the playoffs will it matter? Because if we play them again or KC we know who will get the borderline calls. I love football and I am tired of my team getting the short end of stick week after week. How we beat GB is still a miracle with all the nonsense penalty's we had in that game.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

How could you play hard and to near or including injury if you thought the game victor was predetermined?

 

 

I don't think it's predetermined, I just have a strong belief that some games the refs will purposely try to throw more penalties at one team to sway it a particular way. And sometimes that doesn't work, like how they tried to throw the Packers game. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I don't think it's predetermined, I just have a strong belief that some games the refs will purposely try to throw more penalties at one team to sway it a particular way. And sometimes that doesn't work, like how they tried to throw the Packers game. 

Same here, I don't believe any game is rigged or predetermined but altered is a different story. I am not sure how some of these REFS make some of these calls they do? The Packers game was so 1 sided that it was a miracle we won that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Who remembers the end of the Packers game? 

 

We all know whats up. And honestly it kinda makes me sad. Just want a legit NFL. 

 

Seems like the big market teams always get to tag team us with the Zebras

So you reference the Packers, who are the smallest market in the NFL, as an example of the NFL giving big market teams calls?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here, I don't believe any game is rigged or predetermined but altered is a different story. I am not sure how some of these REFS make some of these calls they do? The Packers game was so 1 sided that it was a miracle we won that one.

Absolutely, I refuse to believe that our o line(with all our starters in) had that many holdings in one drive. It's just insane. ha, I remember losing my mind during that game and then just start laughing and waiting every play for a flag to show up, and surprise surprise, it did. hahaha, it was so funny just seeing a fifth consecutive flag come out. Very aggravating but also very funny, can't top that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

So you reference the Packers, who are the smallest market in the NFL, as an example of the NFL giving big market teams calls?

They get calls because of Rodgers being on the team - he brings ratings, it has nothing to do with being a small market team. If Rodgers wasn't on the team they would rarely get the benefit of anything from the REFS.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Absolutely, I refuse to believe that our o line(with all our starters in) had that many holdings in one drive. It's just insane. ha, I remember losing my mind during that game and then just start laughing and waiting every play for a flag to show up, and surprise surprise, it did. hahaha, it was so funny just seeing a fifth consecutive flag come out. Very aggravating but also very funny, can't top that. 

Not only that how about the bogus PI that gave Rodgers a TD at the end of the half lmao , that was ridiculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

So you reference the Packers, who are the smallest market in the NFL, as an example of the NFL giving big market teams calls?

I'm from Wisconsin, Colts are definitely not as popular as the Packers.

 

And if you want to look at it on a player level, Rodgers gets a lot of attention on his own. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think you understand.   Every year the worst refs are fired.  Every year.   They don’t get asked back.   There is no formal announcement, but it happens.   We had this discussion either a year or two ago, and someone found the link confirming this.   The refs are held to account.   If getting fired isn’t enough,  I don’t know what to tell you....  

Being put on blast and publicly shamed would be a good start! 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They get calls because of Rodgers being on the team - he brings ratings, it has nothing to do with being a small market team. If Rodgers wasn't on the team they would rarely get the benefit of anything from the REFS.

That’s part of my point.  I am not naive all leagues give their stars calls but I was quoting someone who was suggesting the NFL fixes games for big market teams because the Packers got calls against the Colts.  
 

if the NFL fixed games for big market teams the Jets and Giants would play the Rams or Chargers in the Super Bowl every year.  Yet only one of those teams has been a legit playoff team over the past five years.  

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm from Wisconsin, Colts are definitely not as popular as the Packers.

 

And if you want to look at it on a player level, Rodgers gets a lot of attention on his own. 

Being popular does not equal your market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get not wanting to slow the game down too much and have coaches challenging penalties/non penalties all game, but the NFL is too big to not have some system in place to ensure the human element is mitigated from changing the results of games.
 

By all rights this game was ours and the refs cost us. Sure, everyone can point to a bad second half game plan and Colts errors, but nothing killed us more than the abomination of one sided reffing. The Kenny Moore PI was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen, and I watched the Saints/Rams playoff game a couple years ago. 

 

I would like to see, in addition to the two regular challenges, teams be allowed two penalty challenges per game. Both calls and non calls should be up for review. I don’t see that it would slow the game down much. It would be a much faster review process than the regular challenge reviews. Usually you can tell upon one additional watch whether a foul occurred. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Being put on blast and publicly shamed would be a good start! 

No league is going to do that to their officials because they need to be in control out there and have it known they have 100% of the leagues support or they have zero authority and credibility and then your game has no integrity.  Like I said before punishing officials is a tricky thing for that very reason.  
 

I mean I get it I didn’t like the officials today and would love to give them a peace of my mind.  However, I can’t so of course people want to see someone who can do it for them but it doesn’t work that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s part of my point.  I am not naive all leagues give their stars calls but I was quoting someone who was suggesting the NFL fixes games for big market teams because the Packers got calls against the Colts.  
 

if the NFL fixed games for big market teams the Jets and Giants would play the Rams or Chargers in the Super Bowl every year.  Yet only one of those teams has been a legit playoff team over the past five years.  

Being popular does not equal your market. 

Ok I get your point now but the Packers do get calls because he is on the team, like the Cavs did when LeBron was there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok I get your point now but the Packers do get calls because he is on the team, like the Cavs did when LeBron was there.

Again, like I said I am not naive all leagues give their stars calls.  I was just saying if you want to argue teams get calls because of their market size the Packers are not the team to point to as an example of that.  If you want to say leagues give their stars calls that’s a different story but I’d also say welcome to sports.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Giving a coach 2 challenges a game is reasonable and being able to challenge a PI call is reasonable because that was no PI on Kenny Moore.

If the officials enforce it, that was the problem last year the officials just flat out refused to call it correctly to get the rule out of there.  Again if I were league I would have told the head of officials get your guys to call it correctly or we will find someone who will.  
 

I almost feel like the league didn’t want that rule to start with but the Saints got robbed so badly they couldn’t just do nothing so they did something to make it look like they were trying to fix it while really they set it up to fail once the heat died down they dumped it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again, like I said I am not naive all leagues give their stars calls.  I was just saying if you want to argue teams get calls because of their market size the Packers are not the team to point to as an example of that.  If you want to say leagues give their stars calls that’s a different story but I’d also say welcome to sports.  

I agree with you it is more of star power than market. If a team has a top 5 QB in the league that team normally gets favorable calls. Rivers IMO is a Hall of Famer but most look at Big Ben differently because he has won 2 SB's for example. Ravens got some bogus calls against us as well, why because they have Jackson.

 

To keep it fair we at times got borderline calls when we had Peyton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Giving a coach 2 challenges a game is reasonable and being able to challenge a PI call is reasonable because that was no PI on Kenny Moore.

I don't think coaches can challenge PI calls anymore - if the NFL really wanted honesty, they'd let coaches throw a challenge flag for uncalled holding or facemask penalties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't think coaches can challenge PI calls anymore - if the NFL really wanted honesty, they'd let coaches throw a challenge flag for uncalled holding or facemask penalties.

That is the problem, I know they can't challenge PI anymore, I say they should be able too is my point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s part of my point.  I am not naive all leagues give their stars calls but I was quoting someone who was suggesting the NFL fixes games for big market teams because the Packers got calls against the Colts.  
 

if the NFL fixed games for big market teams the Jets and Giants would play the Rams or Chargers in the Super Bowl every year.  Yet only one of those teams has been a legit playoff team over the past five years.  

Being popular does not equal your market. 

So Mahomes didn't increase KC's market?

 

Successful teams generally have more fans right? Not all fans are local as well, this forum is plenty proof of that. 

 

Players can increase a teams value, and their market value overall. Think Hopkins to the cardinals. What about Metkalf to the hawks? Or Lebron James moving to bad teams. What about Brady to the buccs? 

 

I mean the list goes on and on, and this doesn't even solely apply to football. The players absolutely influence a teams network thru and thru. Not sure how much more clear that could be. 

 

You're about to witness it with the dolphins soon too. And you know what? I don't even have to explain it because you probably know why I'm saying the dolphins. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

So Mahomes didn't increase KC's market?

 

Successful teams generally have more fans right? Not all fans are local as well, this forum is plenty proof of that. 

 

Players can increase a teams value, and their market value overall. Think Hopkins to the cardinals. What about Metkalf to the hawks? Or Lebron James moving to bad teams. What about Brady to the buccs? 

 

I mean the list goes on and on, and this doesn't even solely apply to football. The players absolutely influence a teams network thru and thru. Not sure how much more clear that could be. 

 

You're about to witness it with the dolphins soon too. And you know what? I don't even have to explain it because you probably know why I'm saying the dolphins. 

Market size and popularity are two very different things.

 

here is a list of market sizes in sports.

 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/
 

Players don’t change that.  The amount of people who live there do.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Market size and popularity are two very different things.

The market size of a team is relevant to the players they have. 

 

Good teams have more fans. Good teams sell more merch. Good teams sell more tickets. Good teams get talked about more.

 

And what makes good teams?

 

Good players. In specific, superstar players. 

 

I mean, I guess we have to agree to disagree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...