Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Passing yards

Bert Johns

Everyone talks about how good a defence the Colts have. Maybe I'm missing something but to me they give up way to many yards thru the air to be a good defence. Watson lit us up for over 300 yards twice. Big Ben just lit us up for over 300 yards and they make it look easy. I'm worried about next week's game. In week one Jacksonville lit us up thru the air for over 300 yards.With the jets win today Jags can win and still get the #1 pick over all. Jags would love to win a knock us out the playoffs.

Outside of Kenny Moore I am not a big fan of the secondary.  Rhodes, Blackmon and Willis have all had their moments but they have also had their moments of being bad.  Carrie is a guy and Rock just doesn’t fit this defense.   I will say they are getting very little help on the pass rush.  Passing in Sweat is looking on a mistake until you realize they wouldn’t have Pittman or Taylor (depending on who they took with only one second round pick).  

4 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I think we definitely need to draft an impact corner, if we can.

Agree.  The safeties are young so I am not as worried there.  They are going to have growing pains.  One thing that will help is they will get Tell back after he opted out this year.  Still unless Rock makes some giant leaps I don’t think he’s going to be a number one corner in this system.  

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

And we've snagged a bunch of interceptions because of it, to include several pick-sixes.

The INTs are great.  However they aren’t everything.  When you are constantly giving up 300 yards to QBs regardless of the score even with INTs there is a problem.  It’s not all the secondary.  The Colts pass rush is sporadic at best.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The INTs are great.  However they aren’t everything.  When your constantly giving up 300 yards to QBs regardless of the score even with INTs there is a problem.  It’s not all the secondary.  The Colts pass rush is sporadic at best.  

We could be getting more consistent pressure on opposing QBs, but I don’t really care how many yards are acquired either in the air or on the ground, as long as most drives end in punts or turnovers, even on downs.

Carrie has played very well all season even saved the td with that 4th down break up, Rhodes has had a bounce back season after being terrible in Minnesota last season. Rock has regressed and is too hands and refs look for a reason to call on him so he is a target.  Blackmon has had a very good rookie season and Willis has been solid (As soon as he was out yesterday things fell apart). Next season Tell returns and we should see Rodgers getting reps back there and as we have seen on st he can fly. All for bringing in more capable bodies to replace Tremon Smith and Wilson on the bottom end.

I put it more on Eberflus.   He has been either changing from a scheme that is working or not making adjustments as other teams do.  Pit made adjustments at halftime.  I don't blame Eberflus for not making halftime adjustments because the defense was playing well.  However, by the end of the 3rd, he should have changed it up some, but he didn't.   This falls on Reich too. 

Of course the refs played a big part.   

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If we can’t beat the Jags, we don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. 

After GB won, I told my wife we just have to win next week and for one of the 4 teams (Titans, Browns, Ravens, or Dolphins) to lose to make the playoffs and then said those exact words.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I put it more on Eberflus.   He has been either changing from a scheme that is working or not making adjustments as other teams do.  Pit made adjustments at halftime.  I don't blame Eberflus for not making halftime adjustments because the defense was playing well.  However, by the end of the 3rd, he should have changed it up some, but he didn't.   This falls on Reich too. 

Of course the refs played a big part.   

I'm not sure how much of it was on Flus not adjusting vs the offense not sustaining drives and keeping the defense on the field for way too much of the 2nd half.

Archived