Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers not clutch / is terrible (merge)


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Some of this is pretty silly

  • Pitt is the 2nd best pass defense in the league, and only gives up 196 yards per game
  • Pitt blitzes 41% of the time, 2nd most in the league
  • Pitt leads the league in INTs, more than 1 per game
  • Pitt leads the league in sacks
  • Pitt leads the league in total QB pressures, and also QB knockdowns.
  • Pitt leads the league in lowest QB Rating allowed
  • Pitt leads the league in lowest completion % allowed
  • Pitt is 2nd in the league in points allowed (19.2)

Rivers is bad? He had a higher passer rating, yards/game, and completion % than Pitt's AVG allowed. And...... He had two fill-ins at offensive tackles going against the leading sack/knockdown/pressure team in the league.

 

The O (and Rivers) did their job. They scored 24 points, which is 5 more than the average do against Pitt, and did it on the road.

 

If you want to blame anything, blame the D or 2nd half O play calling. The Pass D gave up 342 passing yards and 3 TDs. The second half play calling was anemic, to not run Taylor more is unacceptable. I don't want to hear about Rivers checking out of plays. If you are serious about running, you don't line up 3 wide so much. The plays Rivers checked out of was due to the D looks they gave on 3 wide sets. The coach calls the sets. 

 

 

 

Nope.  Blame Rivers for all the losses and credit the defense for all the wins.

 

Didn't you get the memo?  Should have gotten Cam!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is on Frank, not Rivers. 

Even though I’d just finished one, when I heard Rivers had just tossed 420 I knew I had to celebrate that properly so I did and settled in to watch the remainder of the game. This is how the journey w

I’ve just grown tired of the limitations this offense has with such a statue back there.   Like, sure, I know he makes up for it to some degree with his intelligence...but the fact that our

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Nope.  Blame Rivers for all the losses and credit the defense for all the wins.

 

Didn't you get the memo?  Should have gotten Cam!

My general rule. Score 21 or more on O, on D, hold teams to 21 or less. Not real complicated. O did their job. D didn't. Any game your D gives up 3 passing TDs and almost 350 yards, that's simply not good. 

 

2nd half play calling on both sides of the ball was dismal. Too conservative and too soft. 

 

Rivers isn't perfect, but he's not in the top 5 problems from last week.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to see rivers get a ring .  It’s terrible to go 11and 5 and miss the playoffs.   This is the most hurtful loss since 2014 afc championship game.    At least in 2018 loss at chiefs we thought we had a young franchise QB coming back . This year hurts so bad because the team cannot repeat next year due to the salary cap.  It was a fun last 10 game run while it lasted .  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I wanted to see rivers get a ring .  It’s terrible to go 11and 5 and miss the playoffs.   This is the most hurtful loss since 2014 afc championship game.    At least in 2018 loss at chiefs we thought we had a young franchise QB coming back . This year hurts so bad because the team cannot repeat next year due to the salary cap.  It was a fun last 10 game run while it lasted .  

It's been a fun season but this past Sunday sucked, can't sugar coat that. It still isn't over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's been a fun season but this past Sunday sucked, can't sugar coat that. It still isn't over.

I was looking forward to the playoffs so bad .  I feel the colts can play with anyone if they try and have a good game plan .  I really thought they had a chance to make a run.   If bills and Steelers played their starters we would have a massive chance but now that the Steelers are not playing Ben bills are locked into 2 seed I just do not see them playing starters . The Texans game is our last hope they play hard always and almost beat the Titans last game . The only problem is they always find a way to lose in the end while the Titans always get lucky.    This one hurts really bad 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's been a fun season but this past Sunday sucked, can't sugar coat that. It still isn't over.

Philip..... after we beat the Jags and the Texans beat the Titans... giving us the AFC South!..... 

:banana:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I wanted to see rivers get a ring .  It’s terrible to go 11and 5 and miss the playoffs.   This is the most hurtful loss since 2014 afc championship game.    At least in 2018 loss at chiefs we thought we had a young franchise QB coming back . This year hurts so bad because the team cannot repeat next year due to the salary cap.  It was a fun last 10 game run while it lasted .  

 

I was under the impression that if the NFL expands the regular season to 17 games next year, the salary capo would increase as well.

 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I was looking forward to the playoffs so bad .  I feel the colts can play with anyone if they try and have a good game plan .  I really thought they had a chance to make a run.   If bills and Steelers played their starters we would have a massive chance but now that the Steelers are not playing Ben bills are locked into 2 seed I just do not see them playing starters . The Texans game is our last hope they play hard always and almost beat the Titans last game . The only problem is they always find a way to lose in the end while the Titans always get lucky.    This one hurts really bad 

 

That's a pretty defeatist attitude, considering the fact that not a single snap in any game scheduled for this weekend has been taken yet. A team choosing to rest their aging, beat up quarterback for a week is not akin to surrendering the entire game, if they intended to do that they could just forfeit and let their entire team relax. The Bills are not locked into the #2 seed, they need to beat Miami to secure it because if they don't and Pittsburgh beats Cleveland, then they're the #2 seed and not Buffalo. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I was looking forward to the playoffs so bad .  I feel the colts can play with anyone if they try and have a good game plan .  I really thought they had a chance to make a run.   If bills and Steelers played their starters we would have a massive chance but now that the Steelers are not playing Ben bills are locked into 2 seed I just do not see them playing starters . The Texans game is our last hope they play hard always and almost beat the Titans last game . The only problem is they always find a way to lose in the end while the Titans always get lucky.    This one hurts really bad 

 

0ont worry we're going to the playoffs.

 

Bills will win but the biggest upset will be texans vs titans !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

 

QBR is not PFF. It's based on EPA on a per snap basis. It is definitely a statistic...an imperfect statistic...but one nonetheless.

 

 

What's the formula?

 

Edited to add:

ESPN's Total QBR relies on subjective grades from their panel of experts.  Things like how catchable a pass was, whose fault it was for a sack/INT, how "clutch" a certain play is, etc.

 

Unless ESPN has changed it since the last time I checked, that's not a statistic.  It's a grade, just like PFF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be glued to all the games that determine your playoff fate.  We Chargers made the playoffs some years back, it only took about 8 DIFFERENT THINGS to happen for us and every single one did that day haha  You only need to win your game and have 1 team lose... Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

We will be glued to all the games that determine your playoff fate.  We Chargers made the playoffs some years back, it only took about 8 DIFFERENT THINGS to happen for us and every single one did that day haha  You only need to win your game and have 1 team lose... Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!!!

Donald Glover Waiting GIF

 

All of us waiting for Sunday

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, StatesmanN said:

Can't run.  Can't throw downfield.  Probably the 2 biggest assets a QB needs in today's NFL and we have neither.

“Can’t throw downfield”

 

he’s made plenty of downfield throws this year.   He had a 42 YD TD on Sunday

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just drop the whole Rivers is terrible thing?  It’s just faculty wrong when you look at his numbers.  He’s actually been really good this year.  Is he going to be Peyton Manning or even what he once was?  No.  However, he was not signed here expecting to be that.  He was expected to be what he’s been a QB who is better than Jacoby that hopefully increases your win total by about three to four games.  Any other year that would be enough to get you in the playoffs.  It’s just freakish year this year that it might not be.  The Colts have gotten exactly what they expected when they signed Rivers and maybe a little more.  
 

I get that some are still not fans of the move for various reasons and that’s fine everyone is entitled to their opinion.  However just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it terrible and it doesn’t mean all the good stuff they have done goes away just because it doesn’t support an argument.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Can we just drop the whole Rivers is terrible thing?  It’s just faculty wrong when you look at his numbers.  He’s actually been really good this year.  Is he going to be Peyton Manning or even what he once was?  No.  However, he was not signed here expecting to be that.  He was expected to be what he’s been a QB who is better than Jacoby that hopefully increases your win total by about three to four games.  Any other year that would be enough to get you in the playoffs.  It’s just freakish year this year that it might not be.  The Colts have gotten exactly what they expected when they signed Rivers and maybe a little more.  
 

I get that some are still not fans of the move for various reasons and that’s fine everyone is entitled to their opinion.  However just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it terrible and it doesn’t mean all the good stuff they have done goes away just because it doesn’t support an argument.  

Some people think if someone isn't Peyton Manning they are terrible. If that 's the case those fans need to realize we will suck forever then lmao 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people think if someone isn't Peyton Manning they are terrible. If that 's the case those fans need to realize we will suck forever then lmao 

Heck I am starting to think some would think Peyton was terrible because he wasn’t mobile.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The way some people post, when he kept losing in the playoffs until he won it all, it makes me wonder if he didn't get bashed in here. I wasn't here then.

Oh he did.  Anytime they would lose there was always people saying trade him for a defense like you know trading Peyton Manning wouldn’t impact the offense at all...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

 

I was under the impression that if the NFL expands the regular season to 17 games next year, the salary capo would increase as well.

 

 

That's a pretty defeatist attitude, considering the fact that not a single snap in any game scheduled for this weekend has been taken yet. A team choosing to rest their aging, beat up quarterback for a week is not akin to surrendering the entire game, if they intended to do that they could just forfeit and let their entire team relax. The Bills are not locked into the #2 seed, they need to beat Miami to secure it because if they don't and Pittsburgh beats Cleveland, then they're the #2 seed and not Buffalo. 

 

I can’t help it , I feel like a black cloud has always followed rivers .  Poor guy can’t catch a break . This has to be the first time in history a team goes 11 and 5 and has a chance to miss the playoffs.  Ever other year 11and 5 is a guaranteed spot .  The one year they expand the seeds and so many teams are 11 and 5

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd prefer Rivers not be back for next year. Basically, I see no reason to "bridge the gap" for another season. I think all it does is push back the inevitable for another year. I prefer they go with Eason or try like heck to get their guy in the draft. What the Colts have in place with their O-Line should set up a young QB for success.

 

As for the QB's already in the league, if you're looking for an upgrade the pickings are slim:

 

Not available - Murray, Jackson, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Watson, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Brady, Tannehill, Bridgewater,

 

Don't want - Brees, Big Ben, Wentz, Hurts, Cousins, Newton, Goff, Trubisky, Ryan,

 

Are they really an upgrade? - Stafford, Carr, Garrapolo, Jones, Darnold, Lock,

Stafford and Carr concern me because they are both career losing QB's.

Garrapolo is interesting, but he is always injured. His careeer record is 24-8. When he plays, he wins.

If you're going to take a run at Jones, Darnold or Lock, may as well go with your own young guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I can’t help it , I feel like a black cloud has always followed rivers .  Poor guy can’t catch a break . This has to be the first time in history a team goes 11 and 5 and has a chance to miss the playoffs.  Ever other year 11and 5 is a guaranteed spot .  The one year they expand the seeds and so many teams are 11 and 5

In 2008, the year after the Patriots went 16-0 and lost their 1st game in Superbowl XLII, Brady got injured in Week 1 and was lost for the year and Matt Cassell led the Pats to an 11-5 record, but they didn't make the playoffs.

 

The Dolphins won the AFC East and the Ravens won a Wild Card, both with 11-5 records and the Colts claimed  the other Wild Card at 12-4, as the Titans won the AFC South at 13-3. It was another season in which the AFC was pretty stacked, and the Steelers beat the Cardinals in Superbowl XLIII.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, StatesmanN said:

Absolutely that is going to happen.  Reich has already said he wants him back.


Reminds me a lot of Irsay staying with Pagano for so long.

 

Blind loyalty is maddening.  Everybody knows that the Colts can't win the SB with Rivers. 

 

So why stay with him?  Makes no sense.

Chuck Knolls said it perfectly loyalty and trying to please ever one will get you fired

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsva said:

I'd prefer Rivers not be back for next year. Basically, I see no reason to "bridge the gap" for another season. I think all it does is push back the inevitable for another year. I prefer they go with Eason or try like heck to get their guy in the draft. What the Colts have in place with their O-Line should set up a young QB for success.

 

As for the QB's already in the league, if you're looking for an upgrade the pickings are slim:

 

Not available - Murray, Jackson, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Watson, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Brady, Tannehill, Bridgewater,

 

Don't want - Brees, Big Ben, Wentz, Hurts, Cousins, Newton, Goff, Trubisky, Ryan,

 

Are they really an upgrade? - Stafford, Carr, Garrapolo, Jones, Darnold, Lock,

Stafford and Carr concern me because they are both career losing QB's.

Garrapolo is interesting, but he is always injured. His careeer record is 24-8. When he plays, he wins.

If you're going to take a run at Jones, Darnold or Lock, may as well go with your own young guy.

I notice "upgrade" but are willing to go with Eason.  Eason almost certainly would not be an upgrade over Rivers.  Not in his first year starting.  

Out of these:

"Brees, Big Ben, Wentz, Hurts, Cousins, Newton, Goff, Trubisky, Ryan,"

I would welcome Brees or Ryan with open arms depending on the salary.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 2:22 PM, James said:

For his career, Philip Rivers has 9 TDs, 17 INTs, 5.9 Y/A, and a 57.1 passer rating when trailing by a single possession with under 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Let’s see, how well did the higher up mucked mucks do their research? You just pointed out stats I did not know about. But then again, my earlier comments were that I lost interest in watching games this season because of Rivers...old veteran without a Super Bowl Win, had a good agent to get the big bucks to please Rivers into signing, complainer, wreaked havoc on us when we played against him, funky throwing arm( and they complained about Tebow?)

I don’t know which of us fans make approx. $1.47 million dollars per game...($25 million for one year!)

I’ll give Rivers credit for being a  good complainer towards the referees. Hey coach, maybe you can learn something from this energy!

Well, another season without a Super Bowl Victory. But then again, it just seems like big business for making money for the NFL.

Sounds like I am going into a deep hole of football depression...okay, I’m over it!

Also, I know that Rivers is only human and outside of football

he is a good guy.

My final message for all of you is to have a Happy New Year and stay healthy and take care of the ones you love and that love you.

 I am a Respiratory Therapist

and I have seen a lot of people suffering, recovering and dying 

a terrible death.

Whether you choose to following the rules or not, that is your choice. I will leave you this...it’s not too late to improve your health and your children’s health. I have seen very bad pneumonia that wasn’t Covid related!

Thank you for correcting my spelling in past messages and informing me with stats.

Go, Colts fans!

Go, Colts leadership!

Go, Colts!

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

In 2008, the year after the Patriots went 16-0 and lost their 1st game in Superbowl XLII, Brady got injured in Week 1 and was lost for the year and Matt Cassell led the Pats to an 11-5 record, but they didn't make the playoffs.

 

The Dolphins won the AFC East and the Ravens won a Wild Card, both with 11-5 records and the Colts claimed  the other Wild Card at 12-4, as the Titans won the AFC South at 13-3. It was another season in which the AFC was pretty stacked, and the Steelers beat the Cardinals in Superbowl XLIII.


you left out the best part - Chargers got in at 8-8.  Although I don’t feel bad because they throttled the Pats in the regular season so you couldn’t make the argument that Pats were the better team.  And Chargers at least knocked off thr 12-4 Colts in the wild card round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:


you left out the best part - Chargers got in at 8-8.  Although I don’t feel bad because they throttled the Pats in the regular season so you couldn’t make the argument that Pats were the better team.  And Chargers at least knocked off thr 12-4 Colts in the wild card round. 

That was a painful loss, we were on a roll and the punter they had was unreal and Sproles killed us and Philip played a solid game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

“Can’t throw downfield”

 

he’s made plenty of downfield throws this year.   He had a 42 YD TD on Sunday

Sometimes when I read these posts I wonder if people are even watching the games.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too, he throws a perfect 45 yard TD to Pascal and people say he can't throw downfield. That is laughable.

That’s because it’s a narrative they have been pushing all year that’s just flat out factually wrong.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah if they want to say he isn't mobile, yeah we all know that but he still has a good arm.

Yeah Drew Brees, Big Ben, and Tom Brady aren’t that mobile either yet they seem to be okay.  I think people make too much out of being mobile.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The narrative that Eason is not “mobile” is misleading at best.. There quite a few in-depth breakdowns of his game by coaches, other quarterbacks, etc. If you’ve watched any of Eason’s play, especially in Washington, he really didn’t have to be mobile with that OL. I’ve seen him be quite mobile, escaping pressure, running the ball, all of it. The knock on him— where he needs to be coached-up — is his ACCURACY whilst being on the run. It takes a BIG dip.  I believe (or want to) he’s as mobile as Luck was, or can be, and that he can improve his accuracy while doing so. No way the Colts waste his talent. No. Way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@PRnum1, I think we will still get in and when we do Philip we learn from what happened last week. We will do some damage brother with him at QB. He brought me joys this season like when we had Luck.

God Bless you 2006Cbe.

 

We're a long way from being done and we're going to make some noise in the playoffs !!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Year two is where we should really see him hit his ceiling. We are going to have to have a little patience with him this first year until everyone gets used to each other. I think he will be good this year bur 22 is where it should really click.
    • I simply don't know how much authority he ever had.  I'm not sure anybody does.   It sound like he was simply a guy who was plucked out of a job In Philly, maybe having narrow duties, but did not have the managerial instincts and NFL connections to be able to assemble a staff.    Still, did Irsay help him in this aspect or just let him sink?   It always seemed like a weird authority structure.  Starting right off with Irsay handling the PM situation, deciding to draft Luck, wanting a 34 defense, not allowing RG to fire Pagano, and I wonder who made the call to either keep Arians or Pagano after the ChuckStrong campaign but the team flourishing under Arians.  Not that there was a real choice, but I always wondered if Irsay and Grigs had a talk about that after season 1 and what each thought about each coach and why.
    • We were in a great spot to trade up for Herbert. But we only had two teams we could of traded with. The giants and I believe the lions.  They may not have wanted to trade. Then that means we Would not of gotten Buckner. I think Herbert would of been able to win right away with this team. Character wise he was the perfect fit too.
    • One thing that stuck out was he said he didn’t have a good supporting cast around him helping him make decisions. Irsay would of given him anything if he asked. This is why Ballard is so good. He surrounded himself with great people who keep him accountable. He even said the assistants and scouts at the end of the season get to review his job performance as a GM. He said they bust his balls lol.
    • This is obvious to many.  Since he could not fire Pagano, I'm not sure why he did not bring in different OCs.  Of course, I'm not sure if that quick passing game was in vogue at the time he was here, and I don't know what OC candidates would have implemented it.  Seemed like the candidates were just a bunch of old school retreads at the time.   The west coast offense was known for exposing its QBs to injury, so that shorter quicker passing offense was not the answer.   Can only hire what the market produces.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...