Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rough Loss to Steelers (merge)


Recommended Posts

Pretty good to be a Colts fan. One of the best gm's in the league who has built a team from the trenches. One can argue we need some better offensive draft picks but even thats a bit of a stretch.

 

We have over a 50% chance to make the playoffs even though we need to win and need one of the others to lose due to opponents. Coaching to be more specific offensive play calling seems to be holding us back, that would be my complaint.

 

I also would not even consider Rivers back next yearbut that is just my opinion,

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I hate to make excuses the defense collapsed some. But those calls were egregious, and pivotal. The no offensive PI on claypool and the pi where carrie tipped it changed the game. Along with Hilton be ran into at the end and no call. Game zebras. And Riech abandoning the run when we were up ten and could have killed time and stopped Pitts moment was stupid.

Dude the refs were crap. Honestly this loss stuck so hard, probably cause we're in lockdown were I live. I'm genuinely bummed out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a question, an observation...This is the first time I have ever written, and sadly it is because I can't understand for the life of me WHY.  We had such a great game plan at the beginning of the game against a team that was physically and mentally broken in the Steelers.  Yet, Reich chooses to go away from the things that seemed to be working.  I understand player pride, they're all professionals, adjustments were made etc...but, you could see it in their eyes, the Steelers were calling it in and couldn't wait to get off the field an go home.  But, at some point our head coach decided to alter the approach, especially considering our  2nd and third string tackles on both ends of the O line were playing ok'ish.  Why deviate...WHY!  My bad, he says this one is on me, YES coach it is, an you were not very good indeed, bad almost.  Why not dink an dunk, why not use mis-direction, stretch plays something, please something other than asking the tackles to hold there block for way too long in order to TRY an hit a chunk play down field, it is way to much to ask of them way too much. Next man up, sure if their ready, but we were not.  Fatigued, stressed terrible play calling you name it, please...do better.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The interception was bad by rivers.   The non call on TY was just as bad

No reason to throw that deep pass.

 

TY was PI.

 

I also thought that the last play to Pascal was hit to head of defenseless receiver, but it is what it is now.

 

We still have a pretty good shot of getting in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Penalties were the story of that game.  I'm not sure I've seen a game exactly like it.  Four or five penalties were the difference between a 35-10 win and a loss.  We lead the world in untimely, crushing penalties, and I'm not going to blame the refs because it's been about an eight game trend.  Practically every time we have a team in 3rd long or off the field, practically every time we can put a team away, every time we have a big play, here comes the flag.  It's to the point where you are just waiting for it.

 

We dominated much of the game and led by 17 points, yet when you combine the fumble deep in our territory and the penalties, it felt like they had to do next-to-nothing to win the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, #12. said:

Penalties were the story of that game.  I'm not sure I've seen a game exactly like it.  Four or five penalties were the difference between a 35-10 win and a loss.  We lead the world in untimely, crushing penalties, and I'm not going to blame the refs because it's been about an eight game trend.  Practically every time we have a team in 3rd long or off the field, practically every time we can put a team away, every time we have a big play, here comes the flag.  It's to the point where you are just waiting for it.

 

We dominated much of the game and led by 17 points, yet when you combine the fumble deep in our territory and the penalties, it felt like they had to do next-to-nothing to win the game.

what game did you watch ? the first half yea , but the second big ben picked apart the colts defense scoring on every single drive .  then rivers goes 7 or 8 drives without a single point and over throws wide open guys and has a complete meltdown .    Colts scored 3 points in a two quarters  that is not domination at all .   Its a good first half going up by two scores then a complete team meltdown in the second half .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

what game did you watch ? the first half yea , but the second big ben picked apart the colts defense scoring on every single drive .  then rivers goes 7 or 8 drives without a single point and over throws wide open guys and has a complete meltdown .    Colts scored 3 points in a two quarters  that is not domination at all .   Its a good first half going up by two scores then a complete team meltdown in the second half .

 

What game did I watch?  I watched the game where we were up by 17 points with a few minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter and their only points had come off a fumble deep in our own territory.

 

Again: fumble deep in our territory - 7 points.

 

1 play drive - 7 points.  

 

Third Pittsburgh TD drive - almost entirely penalties.

 

Their final TD drive - more penalties when you could have had them off the field.

 

They erased a 17 point deficit and between the fumble and the penalties, it felt like they had to do next-to-nothing to accomplish it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

what game did you watch ? the first half yea , but the second big ben picked apart the colts defense scoring on every single drive .  then rivers goes 7 or 8 drives without a single point and over throws wide open guys and has a complete meltdown .    Colts scored 3 points in a two quarters  that is not domination at all .   Its a good first half going up by two scores then a complete team meltdown in the second half .

they didn't get picked apart. they got flagged for fake PI and illegal contact to walk the steelers down the field until they had first and goal. end of story. only big play they actually gave up was the td vs rock. easy to spot the refs agenda today. i knew it was coming when they called the fake block in the back in the first half to keep it a 2 td game at half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine changed the title to Rough Loss to Steelers (merge)
38 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

What game did I watch?  I watched the game where we were up by 17 points with a few minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter and their only points had come off a fumble deep in our own territory.

 

Again: fumble deep in our territory - 7 points.

 

1 play drive - 7 points.  

 

Third Pittsburgh TD drive - almost entirely penalties.

 

Their final TD drive - more penalties when you could have had them off the field.

 

They erased a 17 point deficit and between the fumble and the penalties, it felt like they had to do next-to-nothing to accomplish it.

 

This is accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course it was more awesome because it was a national game. More for to see the implosion, we have another to add to the national game stink file.. Lol

 

Let's just get in next week please Colts. Let's not get to the final week and not get in. That would totally suck from my fan perspective. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IinD said:

And of course it was more awesome because it was a national game. More for to see the implosion, we have another to add to the national game stink file.. Lol

 

Let's just get in next week please Colts. Let's not get to the final week and not get in. That would totally suck from my fan perspective. 

 

Let’s not forget the Packers and first Titans games were also national games this year and the Colts looked very good in both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I hate to make excuses the defense collapsed some. But those calls were egregious, and pivotal. The no offensive PI on claypool and the pi where carrie tipped it changed the game. Along with Hilton be ran into at the end and no call. Game zebras. And Riech abandoning the run when we were up ten and could have killed time and stopped Pitts moment was stupid.

I saw on NFL Network, a Steelers player said that our defense was identifying & calling out the plays  they intended to run, so Big Ben started calling offensive plays that they hadn’t practiced and that made the difference but I agree, abandoning the running game probably hurt us more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s not forget the Packers and first Titans games were also national games this year and the Colts looked very good in both.

Good point. But just venting a bit tonight honestly.

Up 10 going into the 4th IIRC? UGGH...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IinD said:

Good point. But just venting a bit tonight honestly.

Up 10 going into the 4th IIRC? UGGH...

Yep I get it.  I was frustrated today too.  Just sometimes helps to remember not everything is as bad as it seems.  We have a tendency to focus on the negative and take the positive for granted.  I am guilty of it too.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The shoelaces of Tuitt's left boot contacted the sole of Glowinski's right boot on Hines' long, cancelled gain ~1.9 minutes pre halftime. Was that Tuitt shoe(top) to Glowinski shoe(sole) contact an example of an 'illegal block in the back' by number 64?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Pittsburgh a team that cannot run the ball is getting hammered in the first half. The natural answer? Short passes. Whalla!

I read something that said we were playing short for the first half where we shut them down but then some of the big chunk plays in the 3rd opened it up to where we had to play further back. Ben then proceeded to just dink and dunk for the remainder of the game with great effectiveness. 
 

The most frustrating part of the game for me was really that first big PI that gave them the confidence to throw it deep without us making them pay. Refs calling the PI close on the Colts and then the big missed OPI that easily would’ve been a game changing pick six by Ya Sin not get called. 
 

I feel like I complain often about the refs and it happens to everyone. But in games like this, with implications, to call closely on one team and let those plays go; come on. And then the block in the back where Glow was engaged and the DT turned and gave him his back and to call that block in the back when it had 0 bearing on the play; another 60 yd game changing play walked back. 
 

The Steelers in this game didn’t have their big plays negated by penalties or no call grabs or pushes, and they won by a small margin. Give us one of the big plays that we should’ve had and we may have won. But at the end of the day to let them back in that game; we didn’t deserve to win.
 

If we don’t make the playoffs it’s not the refs or any other outside influence to blame. It’s the org from top to bottom - Ballard not being more aggressive in building depth in the off season, coaches not making adjustments and Reich calling questionable games against good teams,  and a lack of talent in the defensive secondary / WR core. Lots of reasons why that was - COVID, early season ending injuries, etc. but it is what it is and our team is as good as our record shows; one that needs help to squeak into the playoffs. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Some combo of scheme and overall talent?   DeFo and Leonard are great players. DeFo is a monster and makes the defense better, but he's not Aaron Donald. And Leonard is a playmaker and tackle machine, but also regressed in pass coverage last season.    But SEA (Adams and Wagner) and KC (Jones and Mathieu) also had (2) All-Pros on their defenses...and they finished #16 and #22 respectively (DVOA). Two players can't do it alone together (or something like that).   I think another part is the pass rush. The DL (DeFo included) got their production in bunches in a handful of games against bad OLs. So the overall pass rush numbers were better than what the Colts were actually fielding from week to week.   Also, and it seems like no one talks about this, but the defense overall basically fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the season. The difference in numbers are pretty eye-opening.
    • IMO, Leno's tape showed that he got overpowered a lot.  He's small for a LT.  His ratings improved when daBears moved Cody Whitehair to LG.  Perhaps Whitehair had to help out too much, causing daBears to want to release Leno in favor of a more stout Tevin Jenkins (whom everybody thought would be RT on daBears).  Maybe Frank saw that and wanted Nelson free-er to do other things.   No great loss in not signing Leno, IMO.   I'd like to see Davenport develop as a capable true LT.  He languished as a RT in HOU.
    • You know, this is starting to worry me. Seems that Reich pounded the table for more than a few guys this year. If this works, he’s a genius, but if it fails majorly, does this then reflect on his future tenure?
    • No doubt...and I referenced that was just the RTP rate based off that one study.    It is directional (like most data) and we don’t know those variables. There are variables like roster expectations, age and position played...information we don’t have.    But even still...as a large sample of NFL players it’s more valid than any anecdotal evidence of player A or player B returning...which I have seen people use (Brandon Brooks for example).    Even if we could account for some of those variables, I would bet the RTP rate for having two players return is still likely going to be closer to 53% than 100%. So it’s definitely a gamble.   But this is just the RTP rate...we aren’t even accounting for post-operative performance. A percentage of players don’t get back to where they were. And the ones that do...take a really long time. 
    • A difference of close to 20 between 2 players of the same position vs a difference of 10, however, in PFF rating has to give you pause and pay more attention because lack of context cannot explain it all, IMO. Just my two cents FWIW. 
  • Members

    • ztboiler

      ztboiler 314

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 4,382

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DaColts85

      DaColts85 528

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrichard

      cjrichard 66

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 2,224

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 144

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfan_canada

      coltsfan_canada 255

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mel Kiper's Hair

      Mel Kiper's Hair 2,414

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Archer

      Archer 727

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coltsfan1953

      Coltsfan1953 121

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...