Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Frank playing to win.../ Thoughts after the Steelers debacle ((merge))

a06cc

4 minutes ago, SR711 said:

No way to sugar coat, that was a 100% meltdown that may end up costing the team a playoff spot when its all said and done. 

Fair warning to those reading, there is not going to be lot of positive in my post.  

1.  The defense has been playing with fire most of the year and it came back to bite them today.  I don't care what the rankings say.  Based on the eyeball test, this is an average (at best) defense and the only reason they even get that is because of the stellar job they typically do against the run.  Unfortunately, the NFL these days is about the passing game and the team has been flat out terrible at defending it for long stretches at multiple points this season.  If anyone is looking for a reason why this franchise may be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs, that is it.  

2.  Diving further into the issue on pass defense, the basic issue is that they cannot consistently generate pressure with the front four due to lack of a game changing player at the DE/edge position.  Thus, they have to rely on blitzing to force the issue, but frankly the corners and safeties get burnt way too frequently to make anyone feel comfortable leaving them exposed.  Eberflus then basically goes into that Cover 2 off coverage/soft zone (which I absolutely hate) that allows the QBs and receivers to get comfortable and in a rhythm.  The whole issue is ultimately a personnel problem and one that is not really going to fixed significantly with any Xs and Os changes.  

3.  The key question that can only be answered with review of the the All 22 film is that was there is significant difference in what defensive calls were being made in the 1st half and what the team was doing to open up the 2nd half.  It may be recollection bias on my part, but it sure did seem from my vantage that the corners and safeties were playing lot further back than what they were doing in the 1st half.  If this is indeed the case, then you can probably say that it was a mindless decision that ultimately allowed Big Ben and his receivers to gain confidence and rhythm were they had none for the greater part of the last 4 games.  

4.  Many may disagree with this but the offense did enough to win this game.  24 points should have been enough and I truly feel that they would have been able to get more if the Steelers O did not explode in the 2nd half.  Rivers is not by any means perfect, but right now because of the defensive play, the team is relying on him to do more than what he is realistically capable of doing consistently at this stage in his career.  

5.  Finally, I will say that Reich really needs to evaluate his play calling and be realistic about what his offense is not about what he optimistically believes they are.  Way too pass happy in the 2nd half which is absurd considering who they putting out at the tackle positions, who was there on D and how well Taylor was running the ball.  This has been on ongoing issue in my opinion with him calling plays like he has the prime years Peyton Manning offense at his disposal as opposed to a unit that relies more on opportunity, establishing the run and scheme to generate big yardage plays. 

The offense did nothing the 2nd half and essentially gave handed 7 points to the Steelers with the strip sack. The whole team melted down in the second half. The offense also had the ball last and had a chance to win the game, yet did diddly-poo with their chance.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I agree mediocrity is a probably a strong word, but with the 30th ranked SoS, it's very debatable. and a case can be made. If we miss the playoffs, it'll be a pretty fair assessment. 

Emotions are running way too hot.  

Im trying to stay out of the forums as much as I can today.  My presence is not going to help. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Emotions are running way too hot.  

Im trying to stay out of the forums as much as I can today.  My presence is not going to help. 

I'm keeping busy working around my mother's house, so putting my frustration to good use. I'm not really emotional in general, nor was I too PO'd post game. More disappointed than anything else, and I could literally see it coming as did the folks watching with me.

43 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

without the turnover giving the steelers the ball inside the redzone the steelers score 21 points today . its a offensive league even the best defenses are giving up around 20 points a game .    two turnovers and scoring 3 points in 30 minutes played a massive role .   

U cant say without the turnover...U look at the end results

• Nadine changed the title to So Frank playing to win.../ Thoughts after the Steelers debacle ((merge))
3 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

Reich once  again out thinks himself what happened to Taylor in the 2nd half he is to nice a guy to get us over the hump

For what it’s worth....

In his post-game presser, Reich says they had about 2/3 more runs called and for various reasons we checked out of them to pass plays. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

In his post-game presser, Reich says they had about 2/3 more runs called and for various reasons we checked out of them to pass plays. 

So Rivers deserves some blame too like I’ve been saying.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Checking out of a run to a pass makes you say Rivers deserves blame?   Frank wasn’t being critical of PR.   He was simply explaining why they didn’t run Taylor more. 

Yes because Rivers as the QB usually has the final decision on whether to check out of called runs and go to passes.  I think Phillip does this way too often and we get away from Taylor.  And I doubt Frank was being critical of Rivers.  He was just stating facts.  

I’m being critical of both because they both have factored into us getting away from getting the ball to Taylor.  I can think of 3 losses (Jags, Ravens, & now Steelers) where we got away from utilizing Taylor and skewed more pass happy when it wasn’t necessary. 

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

Not valid excuse IMO and that is where Frank, Rivers and whoever else has input in play calling overthinks this way too much and gets too cute.

It is all well and good to play the "we are going to take what the defense gives us" thought process, but that works only if you have an offensive unit that is well balanced and does not have many weaknesses/holes.  

The check with me, adjust at the line based on defensive coverage stuff worked with Mannings teams mostly because the offense was so balanced at the skill positions and the between the o-line continuity and Edge, there were not a lot of miscues in pass pro.  

The reality is that this offense was missing its starting LT, RT and even when healthy has limitations in the passing game.  Why expose the weakest parts of your unit repeatedly by not running the ball more especially when Taylor (and Hines on occasion) were doing a pretty good job.  

This was perhaps the most painful loss of the season.  Making it all the worse is the fact that the Packers hosed the Titans. Colts should’ve been sitting alone in first right now.  

Now for some perspective, though, 4 weeks ago 90%of people had this game slotted as a loss.  

Still, just so incredibly disappointing, as on top of the ref’s epic fail (blocking in the back near the 2st half b.s. call cost the win), both the offence and defence were utter second half fails. (Face Palm)

Archived