Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL expected to approve 17 game season for next year

w87r

16 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

It's already too diluted with 7. You're saying half the teams make the playoffs

Heck, why not just do the high school format and let everyone play in the postseason! 

:lol: could you imagine some of the ridiculous upsets that would happen?

• Haha 2

I hate this with the intensity of a thousand white hit suns!   Want no part if a 17 game season.    16 games is....   perfect. 

And don’t get used to 17....   the owners will be forcing 18 on the players before you know it.    This is not good for the players.  Not even a little bit. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Season needs more games...

No sport has such a short season (September - December), 4 months out of the year while the offseason gets more fanfare.

But you have to keep in mind that a lot of other sports aren't that physical like football is.

If they have to play one more game, teams should be allowed to keep at least 55 players on their roster. 

If they will even move on to 18 games, 

I think this could shorten the careers of O and D liners as well as RB's. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hate this with the intensity of a thousand white hit suns!   Want no part if a 17 game season.    16 games is....   perfect. 

And don’t get used to 17....   the owners will be forcing 18 on the players before you know it.    This is not good for the players.  Not even a little bit. 

There’s such a thing as too much of a good thing. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Then why would they agree to it? I am assuming they have a say in it.

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

There’s such a thing as too much of a good thing. 

That’s a FAN’S perspective. 

Ask yourself this....   if that we’re true, even a little bit true, why do the players strongly oppose it?   They’d all make more money.  But they want no part of a longer season.

Because it’s brutal on them.  It’s terrible on their bodies.   They don’t want to risk potentially shortening their career for a few more bucks. 

If the players don’t want it, I, as a fan, don’t want it.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

That’s a FAN’S perspective. 

Ask yourself this....   if that we’re true, even a little bit true, why do the players strongly oppose it?   They’d all make more money.  But they want no part of a longer season.

Because it’s brutal on them.  It’s terrible on their bodies.   They don’t want to risk potentially shortening their career for a few more bucks. 

If the players don’t want it, I, as a fan, don’t want it.  

Easy there NCF, I was agreeing with ya. My point is there’s such a thing as too much football. 

There will be an increase of late season injuries, could really impact playoff hunting teams...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Easy there NCF, I was agreeing with ya. My point is there’s such a thing as too much football. 

There will be an increase of late season injuries, could really impact playoff hunting teams...

Thanks.  sorry,  I must’ve misread your meaning.   My bad!       :peek:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.  Sorry,  I must’ve misread your meaning.   My bad!       :peek:

6 hours ago, coltsva said:

They will have to agree to it eventually.   Because at some point the owners get to unilaterally impose it.   The players will bargain for the best deal they can get.

Better to get something for 17 games than nothing.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They will have to agree to it eventually.   Because at some point the owners get to unilaterally impose it.   The players will bargain for the best deal they can get.

Better to get something for 17 games than nothing.  

Am I correct in assuming this would change the cap for the league? Teams will need more players which = more $$$. 

27 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Am I correct in assuming this would change the cap for the league? Teams will need more players which = more $$$. 

Yes...   also, more games = more revenue which adds up to a higher cap.   The money is mostly a plus.   But the two sides would then have to fight over the new money.  

8 hours ago, coltsva said:

Well the players agreed to it because they get to break more records and get more playing time over the rookies. I wonder who's looking out for the little guys?

On 12/27/2020 at 11:14 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather they just put 8 teams in the playoffs in each conference instead of that. 

On 12/27/2020 at 11:43 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather just add another team to the playoffs and have 8 in each conference and still do away with a pre-season game. 

If they did that, (adding just an 8th) under the current format, no team would get a playoff bye.  If the NFL truly intends to expand the regular season to 17 games in 18 weeks, I’d rather see them add an 8th & 9th seed to each conference and the top 3 seeds each get 1st round byes, while #4 plays #9, #5 plays #8 and #6 plays #7 and of course, the following weekend #1 would play the lowest remaining seed while #3 plays the highest winner from the previous round.

An 18-week regular season with only 1 bye week for each team (and still making every team play a Thursday night game) would be pretty brutal, so adding more teams to the postseason and rewarding the top 3 teams in each conference with a week off would begin to be adequate compensation, although expanding the size of the active roster & practice squads would be helpful as well, along with keeping the 3 week IR designation, that seems to help teams alot.  

On 12/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Ask yourself this....   if that we’re true, even a little bit true, why do the players strongly oppose it?   They’d all make more money.  But they want no part of a longer season

The players already signed on to it in the last collective bargaining agreement. The owners have the green light to add one regular season game so long as one preseason game is dropped

Only hold up right now is the TV money contracts, which is expected to be resolved before the scheduling is released

On 12/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, rock8591 said:

Season needs more games...

No sport has such a short season (September - December), 4 months out of the year while the offseason gets more fanfare.

No sport longer than that has as much of a physical demand and abuse.

The only comparable is rugby at 25 weeks and they don't take as much physical abuse as the NFL. This is a fact.  The long term injuries and physical problems that NFL players have is nearly non-existent in rugby players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

No sport longer than that has as much of a physical demand and abuse.

The only comparable is rugby at 25 weeks and they don't take as much physical abuse as the NFL. This is a fact.  The long term injuries and physical problems that NFL players have is nearly non-existent in rugby players. 

I would keep the regular season at 16 games and just have 8 teams per conference make the playoffs. No Bye's and just:

1 vs 8

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

and so on like the NBA does it.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would keep the regular season at 16 games and just have 8 teams per conference make the playoffs. No Bye's and just:

1 vs 8

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

So you are suggesting doing away with divisions and the competition within those divisions? 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 vs 8

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

I'd keep it as is.  Although it's funny and exciting to see a 7-9 team beat the conference favourites, I'd hate that to become a norm.