Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well this is where Hooker is being missed too.  Blackmon flashed and has played well usually with the ball in front of him, but he is not good in deep coverage.  As in he sucks at it.

Also with the other things he can do, it would be a waste to have Blackmon solely worry about the deep ball.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nickster said:

 

Quit exaggerating.  It's only 34.6% of the time.  

 

I don't think we have personnel to play man or blitz often like many posters her clamor for.   If you don't do either much, then sometimes you can force a turnover when you switch it up.   

 

They have the guys that can blitz well...just not the man cover guys. It can work against bad QBs..but you take Kenny or Leonard out of a play against a good QB on a blitz...and that's going to be a 1st down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

 

Quit exaggerating.  It's only 34.6% of the time.  

 

I don't think we have personnel to play man or blitz often like many posters her clamor for.   If you don't do either much, then sometimes you can force a turnover when you switch it up.   

IMO, the thinking behind the cover 2 is to force the O to "matriculate the ball down the field" with short passes.  In the larger volume of plays the O will have to run to move the ball down field (as opposed to big chunk plays), the more likely there will be a drop, a bad throw, a holding call, etc.  More chances for the O to mess up its own drive than to need a great defensive stand all of the time.  But yeah, if the Qb is good and the O doesn't mess up, a zone D can allow the ball to get down the field over time.  Hopefully though, the field shrinks and those zones get smaller as the O moves into the red zone, holding the O to a FG.

 

If you can do that, then Frank's offensive philosophy of consuming time of possession and limiting the number of possessions the opponent has would tend to keep the score down just by our defensive and offensive schemes, regardless of talent.

 

Don't want to blow that up by blitzing a lot or playing a lot of aggressive man coverage.  JMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, the thinking behind the cover 2 is to force the O to "matriculate the ball down the field" with short passes.  In the larger volume of plays the O will have to run to move the ball down field (as opposed to big chunk plays), the more likely there will be a drop, a bad throw, a holding call, etc.  More chances for the O to mess up its own drive than to need a great defensive stand all of the time.  But yeah, if the Qb is good and the O doesn't mess up, a zone D can allow the ball to get down the field over time.  Hopefully though, the field shrinks and those zones get smaller as the O moves into the red zone, holding the O to a FG.

 

If you can do that, then Frank's offensive philosophy of consuming time of possession and limiting the number of possessions the opponent has would tend to keep the score down just by our defensive and offensive schemes, regardless of talent.

 

Don't want to blow that up by blitzing a lot or playing a lot of aggressive man coverage.  JMO.

yep that is the idea of cover 2.  Bend don't break.  

 

you can't be a dominate defense playing cover 2 all the time unless you have what the Bucs Tampa 2 had with Brooks covering the deep middle from the Mike postion, all time great hitting safety like Lynch (which is why we won the SB with Bob Sanders) and a disruptive animal like sapp. 

 

We have the Sapp type player, but are no where close the the Brooks and the Lynch type player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Good question - I just checked and the Jags had exactly 15 3rd downs in the game. I think we're trying to play him on obvious passing downs. 

He needs to be a permanent starter and have Houston come on the bench when the offense line starts getting gassed .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turay is still a bit of a question mark for me. He's explosive off the line to be sure. You watch in slo-mo and he's always first off the snap. But once he's engaged, he still seems a bit lost imo. I still chalk it up to time missed, but I think one more injury and prolonged missed time and I might call it on him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A few thoughts.  I'd prefer to spread out the talent along the dline and not concentrate it in the middle.  So I'd prefer the other stud to be more of a three down DE. And in a 4-3, that guy should be about 6.4 270.  250 to 260 pound DEs are purely pass rushers, IMO.  A DE like that will not get the sack numbers... a decent amount but not stud PR stats..but the situational nature of the other rotational players, plus Buckner, should keep the team ranked high in terms of pressures and sacks.

 

Rock is not quick enough to tangle at the LOS then turn and run with the receiver for a long distance.  If we're going to draft corners like RYS, who are fine for a zone scheme, then we need to stop this idea of switching to man coverage.  I think RYS gets his penalties in deep coverage and gets beat deep because he's been tossed into man coverage down the field, IMO.  I'd have to look it up, but I wonder what his completion percentage and PI percentage is on shorter routes.  My guess is that they are noticeably lower.

On the Dline, your described preference is pretty much what we do with Autry and Houston, before we kick Autry inside on passing downs.  It’s the speed rushers that are lacking for our pass defense to get to the next level.

 

We don’t need more 3 down EDGE guys, we need more speed in the second half when it becomes a passing game...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

 

They have the guys that can blitz well...just not the man cover guys. It can work against bad QBs..but you take Kenny or Leonard out of a play against a good QB on a blitz...and that's going to be a 1st down.

just about every time

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well this is where Hooker is being missed too.  Blackmon flashed and has played well usually with the ball in front of him, but he is not good in deep coverage.  As in he sucks at it.

 

Yeah...Blackmon flashed early...but has been basically invisible in the passing game since October (other than the MVS fumble). He has 0 INTs or PDs since the Burrow pick.

 

Where are all of the Blackmon threads now lol...telling me to eat crow and how Blackmon was a stud after like 4 games. 

 

Blackmon is a promising player...no doubt...but he finished his rookie season allowing a 67% completion rate, 104.8 passer rating and had a 14% missed tackle rate. His PFF grade dropped to 60,8. He is definitely a work in progress.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • In no particular order:   1. Jonathan Adams Jr - WR - Arkansas State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241053/jonathan-adams-jr   2. Emeka Emezie - WR - NC State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240120/emeka-emezie   3. Bo Melton - WR - Rutgers https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4259305/bo-melton   4. Brenden Jaimes - T - Nebraska https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240800/brenden-jaimes   5. Tommy Doyle  - T - Miami (Ohio) https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4038986/tommy-doyle   6. Cam Sample - DE/DT - Tulane https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4243923/cameron-sample   7. Garret Wallow - LB - TCU  https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241807/garret-wallow   8. Shemar Jean Charles - CB - App State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4036430/shemar-jean-charles
    • Thought it was every other week... Might be completely wrong also.
    • To steal a quote from Jskinnz, "oh dear god". Never thought I'd read that from you especially with how much you criticized me for wanting Jenkins.
    • Cosmi is the better prospect, but Jenkins is the more likely option at 21. I can't see Cosmi getting out of the top 20
    • I noticed one site focusing on the Colts picked Reed to start instead of Glowinski. I wonder if Glowinski could be part of a trade, maybe to move up in the first round to get Darrisaw, or someone like that.
  • Members

    • Btown_Colt

      Btown_Colt 456

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • funktacious2

      funktacious2 440

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ojsglove

      ojsglove 350

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 2,776

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,274

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 119

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C_Lew

      C_Lew 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 112

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • StlColt

      StlColt 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 8,512

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...