Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt All-Rookie Defense

rockywoj

Thanks @rockywoj! - the 3 Colts rookie 'defenders' (it includes STs) are:

FS Blackmon

The fact that Blackmon was ready to play nine months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL was remarkable unto itself. And then, when he stepped into a starting role to replace the injured Malik Hooker, the Colts' defense didn't skip a beat, with Blackmon contributing 35 tackles, six passes defensed and two picks while forming one of the NFL's top young safety duos with Khari Willis.

P Blank

Blankenship has brought some stability (and style!) to a position that caused some stress at the end of Adam Vinatieri's 14-year tenure. The be-Rec-Spec'd Blankenship has made 90.6 percent of his field-goal tries, the fourth-best mark for a rookie in NFL history (minimum of 20 field goals attempted).

KR Rodgers

The sixth-round pick has averaged 28.8 yards per kick return, ninth-most by a rookie in NFL history (minimum of 20 kick returns) -- and he's one of just seven players this season to have returned a kick for a touchdown. 

In addition, they have the all rookie offense that includes:

RB Taylor

After a slow start to the season, Taylor has morphed the Colts' rushing attack into one of the most dangerous run games in recent weeks. A top-10 rusher through 15 weeks, Taylor is producing like he's running behind the best offensive line in the league, and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks @rockywoj! - the 3 Colts rookie 'defenders' (it includes STs) are:

FS Blackmon

The fact that Blackmon was ready to play nine months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL was remarkable unto itself. And then, when he stepped into a starting role to replace the injured Malik Hooker, the Colts' defense didn't skip a beat, with Blackmon contributing 35 tackles, six passes defensed and two picks while forming one of the NFL's top young safety duos with Khari Willis.

P Blank

Blankenship has brought some stability (and style!) to a position that caused some stress at the end of Adam Vinatieri's 14-year tenure. The be-Rec-Spec'd Blankenship has made 90.6 percent of his field-goal tries, the fourth-best mark for a rookie in NFL history (minimum of 20 field goals attempted).

KR Rodgers

The sixth-round pick has averaged 28.8 yards per kick return, ninth-most by a rookie in NFL history (minimum of 20 kick returns) -- and he's one of just seven players this season to have returned a kick for a touchdown. 

In addition, they have the all rookie offense that includes:

RB Taylor

After a slow start to the season, Taylor has morphed the Colts' rushing attack into one of the most dangerous run games in recent weeks. A top-10 rusher through 15 weeks, Taylor is producing like he's running behind the best offensive line in the league, and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

Not only is this amazing, but I want to add that we also got DeForest Buckner along with these four guys technically with our 1st round pick (even if it was in a trade). So that's 5 guys we secured with our draft picks that have made a huge impact this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know I'm being nit-picky, but how is Kicker a "defensive" position?  When that person nearly always leads the team in scoring?

Maybe Brandt is old school. In the old days kickers kicked off and made tackles as a last resort. 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:46 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Not only is this amazing, but I want to add that we also got DeForest Buckner along with these four guys technically with our 1st round pick (even if it was in a trade). So that's 5 guys we secured with our draft picks that have made a huge impact this year.

I would add Pittman to that list... I know he had a slow start and got injured, but his return from injury has really helped the passing game (IMO) and aside from him putting up solid numbers, he seems to have really helped TY out.  

A couple others who have contributed significantly: Glasgow (you don't see it much on the stat sheet other than a block he had, but he's been solid on STs week in and week out), and D. Harris (used sparingly, but provided major sparks at various points in the season).  Also, Rob Windsor has been in the mix in the DL rotation a bit later in the year and has played OK.

Overall, IMO, this was a very strong draft class by Ballard.  I am also optimistic that we'll see a bright future from Patmon and to a lesser extent, I'm optimistic about Eason.  

• Like 1