Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to beat the Steelers

Bert Johns

The Steelers right now are second guessing themselves. You punch this team in the mouth early and often. There confidence is shaken right now. If the Colts jump on them early that will compound them to think instead of react . Advantage Colts. You have to out physical them at the line of scrimmage. The Bengal did that and walah.

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I think you play this like you try to approach many road games. Try to get up and take the crowd out of it, then play boring. Don't go for big hits. If you can keep it close till the fourth you're in good shape. I know crowds don't exist but I referencing a style of play.

What crowd?? :default_20smile:

Let’s face it this team will be very angry and Playing in their home stadium. Fans or not we have had many nightmares in that facility. The defense has to come out and play well early and not let up. We can’t afford to get into a scoring contest with them so it has to be a running game that beats them.I sure hope Sunday is the day that we start exercising some demons in Pittsburgh

The defense must play well out of the gate.  The Steelers offense is out of sync and you can’t afford to let them get their mojo back.  This isn’t one of those games where the Colts can be down 28-14 at the half and expect to come roaring back.  Also the Steelers are going to put everything they have into their first drives both on offense on defense.  So on defense you have to shut them down early.  On defense you have to finish the tackle and gang tackle.  That’s how the Steelers beat you, taking advantage of missed tackles.  

On offense you have to stay patient which Rivers has done a good job of doing.  Stick with the run even if the Steelers stop it early.  Get the ball out early and if nots there throw it away.  The key on offense will be to avoid the mistake and keep them off balanced with a balanced attack.  

5 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

The Steelers right now are second guessing themselves. You punch this team in the mouth early and often. There confidence is shaken right now. If the Colts jump on them early that will compound them to think instead of react . Advantage Colts. You have to out physical them at the line of scrimmage. The Bengal did that and walah.

Fighting will draw flags and is grounds for immediate ejection. :funny:

They have to stop those brain dead quarters and/or halves where they do nothing and go ice cold.

You know in the playoffs that type of stuff gets you bounced quick if you get in.

Side note I found a little blurb from 11/2018 about Rivers against Pitt

'Overall, in six career games against Pittsburgh, Rivers has thrown for 1,533 yards, completed 61.4 percent of his passes and tossed 13 touchdowns for a 92.0 career passer rating.'

Averages out to about 250 yds and 2TD's.

I think that gets us a win if the defense doesn't go full stupid for a while, but he'll need more if it's a shootout.

• Shive changed the title to How to beat the Steelers

The Bengals laid out a perfect game plan; challenge Ben to throw the deep ball and take away the short passing game, play very physical with the receivers, and run the ball. Ben had no open receivers in the short game, and he was way too scared to try it deep. On offense the Bengals just kept pounding it at the Steelers on the ground and eventually they caved

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The defense must play well out of the gate.  The Steelers offense is out of sync and you can’t afford to let them get their mojo back.  This isn’t one of those games where the Colts can be down 28-14 at the half and expect to come roaring back.  Also the Steelers are going to put everything they have into their first drives both on offense on defense.  So on defense you have to shut them down early.  On defense you have to finish the tackle and gang tackle.  That’s how the Steelers beat you, taking advantage of missed tackles.  

On offense you have to stay patient which Rivers has done a good job of doing.  Stick with the run even if the Steelers stop it early.  Get the ball out early and if nots there throw it away.  The key on offense will be to avoid the mistake and keep them off balanced with a balanced attack.  

If we can stop those game-opening scripted plays, that would be huge

Take the Colts v Broncos defensive gameplay from 2014 :D That playoff game, the Colts challenged #18 to beat them deep and he couldn't. Didnt matter who the receiving corp was, Peyton couldn't deliver. Ben has struggled with the deep ball this season.

Different scheme of course so maybe the spirit of that Broncos plan plus the gameplay v KC last year (when Mahomes got hurt) i.e. disrupt the receivers timing and go heavy man. Essentially tighten things up.

I am encouraged by the edge rushers and think they can trouble Big Ben (who doesn't have the escapability of Watson). Hopefully Buckner is healthy because he might be in for another monster game.

Defensively, for once, I think we might be able to slow the Steelers down (not something we've been able to say for a while). My main worry is on the other side of the ball. Rivers has been quietly good this season but against the super defenses he's faced, understandably his performance has dipped. (Chicago, Cleveland). Pittsburgh might be the best defense we face this season, I hope Hines brings his A-game, i get the sense that those outlets will be the key.

Prediction - 24-18 Colts.

1. Protect Rivers in passing situations. Their corners are very physical.

2. Run the ball

3. Dont turn over the ball

4. Create turnovers 

5. Take away the short passes and running game from the Steelers and force Ben to throw deep.

6. Pressure Big Ben 

i think Hines might have a big game too. I think his speed in space may give them problems. He might have a bigger game then Taylor. I am so nervous for this game. Praying hard the raiders win Saturday so we can breath some on Sunday. Then If we lose at least we still control our own destiny.

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I was more nervous vs the Packers than I am the steelers. But im excited to see the Colts show why they deserve a playoff spot.

Yeah the Steelers have always made me nervous. Even when #18 was leading the team. They just always seemed to be a problem. A repeat of the game from 05? would make my Christmas. The game I'm referencing was one where on the first play of the game, Manning hit Marvin for like 70/80yds or something like that. 

The Packers have never really worried me even with ARod. Indy always seem to stand up against them. The Steelers? Different matter entirely. (I Remember the game in 14 where Luck played a MASTERFUL game yet still lost by like three scores). It's time to beat those guys down, I really hope Rivers does. (I'm not sure what his record is v them)

55 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah the Steelers have always made me nervous. Even when #18 was leading the team. They just always seemed to be a problem. A repeat of the game from 05? would make my Christmas. The game I'm referencing was one where on the first play of the game, Manning hit Marvin for like 70/80yds or something like that. 

The Packers have never really worried me even with ARod. Indy always seem to stand up against them. The Steelers? Different matter entirely. (I Remember the game in 14 where Luck played a MASTERFUL game yet still lost by like three scores). It's time to beat those guys down, I really hope Rivers does. (I'm not sure what his record is v them)

I think they mean the packers beating the titans

23 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

I mean, honestly, the key to the game is scoring more points than the Steelers by the end of the 4th quarter.  

This is definitely the best concept on how to win.  I've conducted scientific experiments and typically teams win when they score more points than their opponents.  This is indisputable when it comes to most sports.  

11 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

This is definitely the best concept on how to win.  I've conducted scientific experiments and typically teams win when they score more points than their opponents.  This is indisputable when it comes to most sports.  

This would explain why I always lose in golf.

Tight man coverage on their top wideouts, force Ben to make decisions.    Ben is susceptible to coverage sacks if our secondary can play well.  He can also be baited into giving the ball away, especially if the Steelers are playing from behind.

Not too impressed with the Steelers' secondary based on recent weeks so we should be able to throw.  If we can also do damage on the ground we should be alright.  The only part of the Steelers that really worries me is that defensive front, and we have the personnel to beat it.

14 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Same here. I built a predictive model with statistical algorithms...and then ran 1M simulations. Amazingly, the team with one higher stat (points) won every time.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:21 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Agree. This is not the game for a slow 1st half and a 2+ score deficit at halftime (or at any point). There is a narrative now that PIT is overrated and that Big Ben is washed up. That defense is going to be pumped up to disprove that...and Big Ben is going to want to show that he’s not washed up as well. And if there was ever a QB who liked to run up the score...it’s Big Ben at home (remember the 45 and 51 point scores he would put up on the Luck era Colts). 

Archived