Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeForest Buckner

DownHillRunner

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Phillip Rivers is proving to be the best acquisition

Rivers is good, very good, and deserves all the praise he gets but Buckner has made this defense a top 5 defense and is a monster.  Frankly both moves just continue to prove Ballard is very good at his job.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rivers is good, very good, and deserves all the praise he gets but Buckner has made this defense a top 5 defense and is a monster.  Frankly both moves just continue to prove Ballard is very good at his job

He has certainly made this a pretty good defense. But they're no long top 5 I don't think. And they've allowed 300 yard passers in like 5 out of the last 6 games

Just now, CantBeStopped said:

He has certainly made this a pretty good defense. But they're no long top 5 I don't think. And they've allowed 300 yard passers in like 5 out of the last 6 games

They came into today number six but I think you get the bigger point.  Also Buckner doesn’t play in the secondary.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rivers is good, very good, and deserves all the praise he gets but Buckner has made this defense a top 5 defense and is a monster.  Frankly both moves just continue to prove Ballard is very good at his job.

"Very good at his job" 

I haven't heard those words about a GM of this team since Polian. 

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know. I was kidding lol

42 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

4 tackles 

3.0 sacks 

4 QB hits 

2 TFLs 

Is he the best acquisition in the tenure of Chris Ballard? If not he is right up there. I know it's only one season but the guy is playing lights out. DPOY candidate for sure!

Yeah, and that's with a bad ankle. He's a force he means everything to our defense. I'm convinced we would have lost today without him. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Or Stafford.  It's going to be the 32nd. pick anyway. We will need a veteran QB after Rivers retires. 

I expect Rivers to be back.  But if we’re going for a different short term solution, I’d love to see Mr. Rodgers wearing the Blue and White.  

55 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

4 tackles 

3.0 sacks 

4 QB hits 

2 TFLs 

Is he the best acquisition in the tenure of Chris Ballard? If not he is right up there. I know it's only one season but the guy is playing lights out. DPOY candidate for sure!

One of many.   The draft picks have been great.  The trades have been great.  The free agents signings have been great.  Draft-wise, Leonard, Buckner and Nelson are close.

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

4 tackles 

3.0 sacks 

4 QB hits 

2 TFLs 

Add a forced fumble to that as well. Absolute monster!

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Only if it’s for D Watson.  

I'd  rather roll the dice on Wentz, assuming you could get him without giving up ANY 1st or 2nd round picks (maybe, but unlikely)

he's a mess right now, but I bet his mentor Reich could resuscitate his career, especially with the Colts' offensive line

16 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

I'd  rather roll the dice on Wentz, assuming you could get him without giving up ANY 1st or 2nd round picks (maybe, but unlikely)

he's a mess right now, but I bet his mentor Reich could resuscitate his career, especially with the Colts' offensive line

Wentz’s contract makes it nearly impossible for the Eagles to move him.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

And he only played 51% of defensive snaps.

People will disagree with me, but he's the best player on the team. Not just the defense, but the entire team. If you don't believe me, look at the Titans game we didn't have Buckner in and look how Henry destroyed us. The difference is night and day.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

People will disagree with me, but he's the best player on the team. Not just the defense, but the entire team. If you don't believe me, look at the Titans game we didn't have Buckner in and look how Henry destroyed us. The difference is night and day.

I don’t think many will disagree with you.  Nelson is the only other one you could maybe argue.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Remember people complaining about giving up that first round pick?

{crickets}

Picking up Buckner was a no-brainer. The Colts could have drafted a d-lineman and hoped that he turned out to be a Pro Bowl-caliber stud, but instead they just hired a proven beast. Acquiring Rivers may have been more important overall to team success (what kind of disaster would this season have been with Brisket still under center?), but Buckner may be the best player, regardless of position, on the team. 

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

This team somehow continues to get better every year. Buckner was great and today he had a bum ankle. 

Proving to be the impact Nelson was for the offense. 

This team is truly only a couple pieces away from perennial contender. 

It’s almost like they have a GM and Head Coach that know what they are doing!

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

Buckner.... he’s the Defensive MVP. Without him the Colts aren’t in the playoff picture. He’s that good. He and Rivers have been off the charts additions for this Colts team. 

The most encouraging thing for me is that Buckner and Rivers seem to be playing better and better as the season progresses. Hopefully that bodes well for the last 2 weeks and potentially the postseason.

14 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

4 tackles 

3.0 sacks 

4 QB hits 

2 TFLs 

How are we measuring and defining best acquisition?  

First of all do draft picks count? 

Secondly are we measuring what we got out of a player verses what was given up for them or just measuring what we got out of a player.

If you are measuring what you got out of a player verses what you gave up for them and you are counting draft picks I would say it would be.

1. Leonard

2. Smith

3. Nelson

However suffice to say that even though a lot was given up to get Buckner, this season thus far the trade has proven to be worth it.   

Archived