Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frustrating observation

JediXMan

They get hot to start off going  14-0 then for whatever reason Reich changes up the play calling and adds in unnecessary things that messes up the rhythm.

Example we were pounding them start of the 3rd and for no reason plays Jacoby the 25 yard line and he throws the ball away wasting a down and stalling a promising drive. We get 3 and keep Watson in the game. We also got away from the running game far to often on one of the worst run Ds in the league. We made this game way harder than it should've bee.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things today.

1.  The Jacoby play was short term was too cute but long term good to get on tape to show teams the Colts can throw out of the package.  Teams were really packing the box vs that package.  

2.  The Texans really adjusted on defense and started playing much better after the quick start.  Give them credit they get paid too.  

3.  The Colts still moved the ball and scored for the most part.  I believe they had one punt and no turnovers.  

4.  The Colts went to the soft zone after they blew the assignment and gave up the long TD and elected to make the Texans make long drives and not make mistakes which to their credit they did.  The Colts third down defense was ugly to watch outside of the red zone.  Those long drives ate up the clock and made things look worse than it was.  

5.  At the end of the game the Colts defense made a play to win after the Texans defense failed to do so.  That’s why the Colts are 10-4 and the Texans are 4-10.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

A few things today.

1.  The Jacoby play was short term was too cute but long term good to get on tape to show teams the Colts can throw out of the package.  Teams were really packing the box vs that package.  

2.  The Texans really adjusted on defense and started playing much better after the quick start.  Give them credit they get paid too.  

3.  The Colts still moved the ball and scored for the most part.  I believe they had one punt and no turnovers.  

4.  The Colts went to the soft zone after they blew the assignment and gave up the long TD and elected to make the Texans make long drives and not make mistakes which to their credit they did.  The Colts third down defense was ugly to watch outside of the red zone.  Those long drives ate up the clock and made things look worse than it was.  

5.  At the end of the game the Colts defense made a play to win after the Texans defense failed to do so.  That’s why the Colts are 10-4 and the Texans are 4-10.  

JB getting that 4th and 1 was huge and I agree with your #1. JB throwing will make other teams when they look at film think he is not always going to keep it and run. TY actually ran the wrong route on that play as well. It wasn't even #7's fault.

1 minute ago, IndyEric07 said:

Atleast you can say...well, atleast we arent the Falcons! 

Tom did it to them again lmao 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB getting that 4th and 1 was huge and I agree with your #1. JB throwing will make other teams when they look at film think he is not always going to keep it and run. TY actually ran the wrong route on that play as well. It wasn't even #7's fault.

Yeah when I say short term it was too cute because it took them out of rhythm on that drive because pounding the ball was working not so much because I didn’t like the call.  Still long term it will be very good to remind people Jacoby can throw.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

TY did not run the wrong route. It was a scramble drill at that point, TY settled down in the zone and Brissett wanted him to keep moving back to his left. Simple miscommunication from two guys who have not practiced together much.

11 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

They get hot to start off going  14-0 then for whatever reason Reich changes up the play calling and adds in unnecessary things that messes up the rhythm.

Example we were pounding them start of the 3rd and for no reason plays Jacoby the 25 yard line and he throws the ball away wasting a down and stalling a promising drive. We get 3 and keep Watson in the game. We also got away from the running game far to often on one of the worst run Ds in the league. We made this game way harder than it should've bee.

I couldn't agree more.  Frank has to stop being so cute with his play calling.  We need to really use our run game to control the time of possession and make our play action more effective.  Just because we have a lot of plays in the playbook doesn't mean we have to use them all.  Our run game and JT in particular are really effective now.  Need to turn it up even more. If we make the playoffs and have to face Allen or Mahomes we need to keep the ball away from those guys.  The mobile QB's are very difficult for us to handle.  No need to give them more opportunities.  Run it to set up play action for the most part.  That is our strength.  Time to focus on our bread and butter and see if they can stop us.  We are good enough to control a game.  We just need to stop being cute and stop jeopardizing our momentum. 

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

A few things today.

Yeah, the Colts on both offense and defense was "clutch". This is what winning teams do. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It would've been cool if JB threw a TD on that play but he didn't haha 

Was hoping. I had TY jn fantasy. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is a great teammate, I love the guy. He is always helpful and smiling. He is great on 3rd and 4th shorts too. I hope he wins the Walter Payton award. He has done a lot in the Indianapolis community for kids.

I will pull for Jacoby no matter where he ends up (as long as him winning doesn’t directly hurt the Colts and even then it’s nothing personal).

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I will pull for Jacoby no matter where he ends up (as long as him winning doesn’t directly hurt the Colts and even then it’s nothing personal).

Yeah me too. The mountain man will probably view his options with different teams as a FA after the season. I don't blame him. For now, glad to have him as a great backup.

The most frustrating things this week to me were....

1. The D let a QB toss for 300+ again, I think 370ish. Dat's bad. Kept them off the board though with some luck + good plays.

2. The lack of 1st read designed targets to MAC. He was running wide open a lot. The one pass he caught, he was obviously the 3rd or 4th read, and just sat down on his route. Glad he was open to catch it when the play broke down, but he needs to be more involved.

3. I've only been in Indy for 2 days now, and my mom is already frustrating the hell out of me :-). Need prayers so that I last the week.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1. The D let a QB toss for 300+ again, I think 370ish. Dat's bad. Kept them off the board though with some luck + good plays.

2. The lack of 1st read designed targets to MAC. He was running wide open a lot. The one pass he caught, he was obviously the 3rd or 4th read, and just sat down on his route. Glad he was open to catch it when the play broke down, but he needs to be more involved.

3. I've only been in Indy for 2 days now, and my mom is already frustrating the hell out of me :-). Need prayers so that I last the week.

Mom's will be mom's. The thing I was getting steamed about was giving up 3rd and longs again and again but Watson can do that to teams.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby could of picked up six or seven yards just by running. That was a terrible play by him and for Reich taking away our momentum. That wasn’t the spot to try that. I think it’s a good thing to have him do something different but not when your in the red zone about ready to score.

That was the purpose of the play, he never throws so by throwing it when teams look at film they won't take it for granted he is going to run.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wish my mom was still here. So I say to you enjoy her frustrating the hell out of you. You’re blessed my friend. :)

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby could of picked up six or seven yards just by running. That was a terrible play by him and for Reich taking away our momentum. That wasn’t the spot to try that. I think it’s a good thing to have him do something different but not when your in the red zone about ready to score.

Or if TY runs the right route it’s six and people are talking about what a great call it is.  Sometimes players impact things by either doing or not doing their job.  It’s not always a bad call by the coach just because it didn’t work.  It’s also good to get it on tape because teams are starting to put 10 or 11 in the box when Jacoby comes in.  

Shoulda been 100 yard game for JT easy. Glad we won but its always hard to just go into a game and know for certain that the Colts are going to get a good convincing win. Its like just when you are gaining some confidence that very next game they make it much harder than it should be. Weve done that all year long.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Shoulda been 100 yard game for JT easy. Glad we won but its always hard to just go into a game and know for certain that the Colts are going to get a good convincing win. Its like just when you are gaining some confidence that very next game they make it much harder than it should be. Weve done that all year long.

That’s life in the NFL.  This isn’t college football where your conference protects you and gives you a chance to play for a title you didn’t earn because they want the money, well unless your New England with Brady.  Sorry the last part is still bitterness on my end more than directed at you.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s life in the NFL.  This isn’t college football where your conference protects you and gives you a chance to play for a title you didn’t earn because they want the money, well unless your New England with Brady.  Sorry the last part is still bitterness on my end more than directed at you.

BB probably wishes he still had #12

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or if TY runs the right route it’s six and people are talking about what a great call it is.  Sometimes players impact things by either doing or not doing their job.  It’s not always a bad call by the coach just because it didn’t work.  It’s also good to get it on tape because teams are starting to put 10 or 11 in the box when Jacoby comes in.  

For me it is about JB throwing a pass instead of taking the easy 6-10 yard gain running.  Ty may have messed up but JB still should have taken the sure yards.

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

For me it is about JB throwing a pass instead of taking the easy 6-10 yard gain running.  Ty may have messed up but JB still should have taken the sure yards.

To me it’s 20/20 hindsight.  These are the same throws people complained about Jacoby not trying last year.  

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just go to your room, lock the door, and turn up your stereo.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mom's will be mom's. The thing I was getting steamed about was giving up 3rd and longs again and again but Watson can do that to teams.

Yup, they are. My mom is a total trip. She is famous with all my buddies going back 40+ years... I've got a to-do list literally a page long, and growing. Working my rear end off on vacation. I do it every year when I come back. 

3rd and longs are frustrating. It goes hand and hand with the 370+ yards. Our pass D breaks a lot. Just happy for the win right now. I was working around her house and I only had half my attention on the game, so can't really go deep on analysis, but it just felt like a typical Colts game this year. I'm going to watch again late tonight or tomorrow when I can kick my feet up. 

54 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I wish my mom was still here. So I say to you enjoy her frustrating the hell out of you. You’re blessed my friend. :)

Exactly. My mom's health has been bad for the last 3 years. Frustrating or not, every minute with her is a joy. Definitely blessed. 

Archived