Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The crooked college rankings

At least 1 conference isn't happy.

I tend to agree with him.  Mostly because they have been going away from being consistent.

In the past a team with 2 losses, who's just been beaten by a 3-5 bad team, would not just fall from 6th to 7th.    

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/aac-commish-college-football-playoff-committee-latest-rankings-release

Cincinnati is the only Group of Five school in the Top 10 of the latest College Football Playoff rankings. Coastal Carolina, which is 11-0, is ranked 12th, BYU is 17th, Louisiana is 19th, Tulsa is 23rd and San Jose State is 24th.

"I think what this ranking did last night with Florida after that game against LSU, a team that is depleted, and Georgia jumping over Cincinnati, it just brings the P5-vs.-G5 issue into stark contrast," Aresco said. "It’s been there before, but even more so now. I can speak for Louisiana, which went up to Iowa State and won by 17 points

It really is, they need to fix this and change the way it is pick. I would personally add 4 teams make it 8. Then have one ACC, Big 10, PAC 12, SEC, Big 12 team in. 2 positions for a group of 5 team, and 1 at large bid. While I know lots wouldnt like this I think it is the best way to get more teams a shot to win.

Would also get them more money. 7 games instead of 3 for playoffs

I agree. The one thing the committee has be consistent on is their prejudice against mid major programs. After UCF not making the cut with not one but two undefeated regular seasons in '17 & '18 on top of the omission to include Cincy this year--I don't see a mid major ever qualifying as a final four.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

They should have tried the 8 team playoff this season.  

They are again inconsistent.  In previous seasons, a team in Notre Dames place would have fallen further after getting pummeled in a late season game.

I think what muddles the water in this situation is who was behind Notre Dame--Texas A&M, who lost by 28 points to Bama earlier in the season. If you slide them into the 4 slot, they'll have a rematch against the team they got pummeled by. You can definitely argue that A&M grew since that loss, but the rematch which was previously a blowout would possibly not garner as many views as a Bama/Notre Dame matchup (even though the Irish got embarrassed by Clemson). Plus, they didn't play in a conference title game unlike Notre Dame which possibly hurt them as well.

20 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

I agree. The one thing the committee has be consistent on is their prejudice against mid major programs. After UCF not making the cut with not one but two undefeated regular seasons in '17 & '18 on top of the omission to include Cincy this year--I don't see a mid major ever qualifying as a final four.

An 8 team playoff would fix this.  That 8th spot could almost always be a mid major that has had an undefeated season.   

If they're going to make the playoff selection subjective, what they ought to do is invent a smarter system.

Say, just have teams go to a bunch of conference pre-determined Bowl games on January 1st then just subjectively select the "National Champion" on January 2nd.

College football has always had too many teams not playing each other for the regular season and playoff postseason to be anything more than a subjective evaluation anyway.

Be smarter.  Be traditional.

Need a 16 team playoff based off the coaches poll. No automatic bids. The problem with an 8 team playoff is Oregon would get an automatic bid while coastal Carolina and BYU get left out. 

The #16 team will most likely get smashed by Bama every year, but so will #4 Notre Dame this year. An expanded playoff gives everybody a shot. CFB is the only league in the world where a team can go undefeated and doesn’t get a shot at the title. It sucks for non P5 teams who fall into this category. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:08 AM, Luck 4 president said:

Need a 16 team playoff based off the coaches poll. No automatic bids. The problem with an 8 team playoff is Oregon would get an automatic bid while coastal Carolina and BYU get left out. 

The #16 team will most likely get smashed by Bama every year, but so will #4 Notre Dame this year. An expanded playoff gives everybody a shot. CFB is the only league in the world where a team can go undefeated and doesn’t get a shot at the title. It sucks for non P5 teams who fall into this category. 

16 team playoff would be too big. Plus, coaches poll shouldn't be taken into account when ranking teams for CFB playoffs due to conflicts of interest imo--or at least shouldn't be taken into any significant account. 

How did you reach the conclusion that Costal Carolina and/or BYU would be left out? If you do an 8 team playoff--automatic bids awarded to conference champions from P5, 2 positions from group of 5, and 1 at large bid--BYU may possibly get left out but Coastal Carolina wouldn't.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, Boilermaker said:

16 team playoff would be too big. Plus, coaches poll shouldn't be taken into account when ranking teams for CFB playoffs due to conflicts of interest imo--or at least shouldn't be taken into any significant account. 

How did you reach the conclusion that Costal Carolina and/or BYU would be left out? If you do an 8 team playoff--automatic bids awarded to conference champions from P5, 2 positions from group of 5, and 1 at large bid--BYU may possibly get left out but Coastal Carolina wouldn't.

Coaches poll is much better than a committee of 13 people with heavy biases. Maybe AP poll would be better but that poll and coaches poll are always very similar unlike the CFP rankings. Most people that want 8 say it will have 1 spot open for G5. If the CFP committee stays in charge then a 2nd G5 will never make it no matter how good they are. If there were 2 guaranteed spots for G5’s like you proposed then that would have other issues bc not every year there are top tier G5 teams. And BYU is not even a G5 so how would they fit in?

I still think the bigger the playoffs the better. With 130 teams in D1, a 16 team playoff is still very difficult to get into. Every other sports league in the world has the top 25-40% of teams make playoffs. 16 would still only be like the top ~12%.

Archived