Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE is our biggest need on Offense

Colts1324

We are not projected to have a single TE with over 450 yards this season OR 4 touchdowns. 

MAC is our leading TE @ just 30 YPG...

Frank's offense loves the TE position, and we are really in need of a top 10 TE at the position. 

We are getting very limited success at the position, and we are all seeing the difference a top TE can make in the game with Kelce, Waller, Kittle, and Andrews. 

Hoping we target a TE with our 1st or trade up into the early 2nd round. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Agreed

Campbell will help though as a receiving option next year.

But LT and TE should be the priorities in the coming offseason in round 1-2 in the draft.

Get Houston back on a 2 year contract and let Kemoko develop at DE. Then go DE in round 3-4.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James said:

Agreed

Campbell will help though as a receiving option next year.

But LT and TE should be the priorities in the coming offseason in round 1-2 in the draft.

Get Houston back on a 2 year contract and let Kemoko develop at DE. Then go DE in round 3-4.

I fully expect we upgrade at DE in FA for once and draft LT, TE, CB. 

A lot of good options at DE will be available, and many players will be cut due to the cap shrinkage. 

TE is the biggest need on offense IF Constanzo doesn't retire after this year. Otherwise, we MUST draft a LT early, and probably another versatile O-Lineman day 3 as well as sign another one in FA. 

Personally, I hope we draft BPA at a position of need. LT, CB, QB possibly, EDGE, WR, TE, depth O-Line.

Focus on those positions early at least, and draft BPA on whatever player of need of those positions you like the best from our first three picks. After that, just go plain BPA the rest of the draft. Get your guys and build the team the best way possible. I know our team looks great, but we have a lot of holes now and especially that will come up next year that one more draft can fix before making us a truly elite overall team. Luckily, Ballard is our GM! :thmup:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

The offense isn't struggling because we don't have a top 10 TE...

It seems fans keep forgetting that Rivers spreads the ball around... and I dont understand why that is. 

I think that has been true until recently. Now he's keying in on Hilton and somewhat Pittman. The rest of the team is getting scraps though (like 2-3 targets each a game). Teams with an elite TE consistently do better. Kelce, Kittle, Ertz and Goedert, Gronk. All those teams made or won a SB recently. Not a coincidence.

• Like 1

Nah TE is pretty solid. Each guy has their own role and they are cycled in and out constantly like a running back platoon. I feel pretty confident that MAC would be right there at about the Goedert tier if he played the same amount of snaps. Doyle won’t be winning any track or beauty contests but he plays his role as the checkdown security blanket very well. Burton is more of the gadget TE and to be perfectly honest is much better at that than Ebron was even in 2018 with Luck, he just doesn’t have the bulk numbers. 

Sure, everyone would like to have Kelce or Kittle, but there are only two of them and our TE committee approach is doing very well. I believe future QB and Oline depth are more of a need for the offense going into next year. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think that has been true until recently. Now he's keying in on Hilton and somewhat Pittman. The rest of the team is getting scraps though (like 2-3 targets each a game). Teams with an elite TE consistently do better. Kelce, Kittle, Ertz and Goedert, Gronk. All those teams made or won a SB recently. Not a coincidence.

Id say that has been true the last 2 or 3 games because these guys are getting open. 

No one complained about Peyton relying on Marvin too much because Marvin was getting open. 

Theres a Jack Doyle interview on the Colts channel and he talks about not getting targeted and that he's doing what he needs to do to help the team and it isn't about targets. 

In football you take what is given to you, and teams are letting Hilton and Pittman get open. You throw it to the open man.

I dont think TE is on this teams radar in the off-season. I see the Colts running with who we have this year a second time. 

If this running game continues to do this well, which is in line with the past 2 years, this team has the weapons and the running game to put any team away, including KC. 

Also, dont forget, the last 3 weeks Costanzo has been hurt, which has kept our TEs in to help block more often. 

So Rivers is not getting locked in. Hes actually playing consistent to the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Nah TE is pretty solid. Each guy has their own role and they are cycled in and out constantly like a running back platoon. I feel pretty confident that MAC would be right there at about the Goedert tier if he played the same amount of snaps. Doyle won’t be winning any track or beauty contests but he plays his role as the checkdown security blanket very well. Burton is more of the gadget TE and to be perfectly honest is much better at that than Ebron was even in 2018 with Luck, he just doesn’t have the bulk numbers. 

Sure, everyone would like to have Kelce or Kittle, but there are only two of them and our TE committee approach is doing very well. I believe future QB and Oline depth are more of a need for the offense going into next year. 

Except it's not fine. Doyle is 30. Burton is under contract for one year. Togiai is unknown potential. MAC is really good, but that's one guy for the future. Another solid TE is needed IMO. If we could keep these guys together at the same level for a couple more years with another elite WR, then we get somewhere, but then Hilton's contract runs out. That's where a great TE is needed and we possibly replace Hilton with Campbell next year and try to start young.

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Id say that has been true the last 2 or 3 games because these guys are getting open. 

No one complained about Peyton relying on Marvin too much because Marvin was getting open. 

Theres a Jack Doyle interview on the Colts channel and he talks about not getting targeted and that he's doing what he needs to do to help the team and it isn't about targets. 

In football you take what is given to you, and teams are letting Hilton and Pittman get open. You throw it to the open man.

I dont think TE is on this teams radar in the off-season. I see the Colts running with who we have this year a second time. 

If this running game continues to do this well, which is in line with the past 2 years, this team has the weapons and the running game to put any team away, including KC. 

Also, dont forget, the last 3 weeks Costanzo has been hurt, which has kept our TEs in to help block more often. 

So Rivers is not getting locked in. Hes actually playing consistent to the rest of the year. 

Guys are getting open because of Jonathan Taylor and the improved run-blocking, which forces teams to respect the run and Rivers can pass it now without worry. You make it seem like all WRs and TEs are equal, which just isn't true. You throw to the best WRs and TEs on the team. Hilton and Pittman are that and everyone else is inferior right now. That mantra is true for 32 teams, which is why the vast majority of the time, the best WRs and TEs consistently get targeted week to week. We need a receiving TE badly. Definitely a new trend in the NFL the past few years that teams with a top one have a bigger advantage than a team with a top WR. They are harder to find, but I'd pay big money for one in FA, or draft one in the 2nd round if I could get something like Darren Waller production (not going to say Kelce or Kittle).

It is a need.  But......

If AC retires LT is a bigger need.

If TY doesn't come back strong, WR#1 is a bigger need.

If Houston ages, and nobody steps up, EDGE is a bigger need.

If Rhodes ages, and RYS or Tell can't step up, CB is a bigger need.

If Eason doesn't step up, QB is a bigger need than all of them.

One way to look at this is, good thing we're 9-4 and playing well, because this season might be our only window of opportunity to have a winning record in the next several years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Except it's not fine. Doyle is 30. Burton is under contract for one year. Togiai is unknown potential. MAC is really good, but that's one guy for the future. Another solid TE is needed IMO. If we could keep these guys together at the same level for a couple more years with another elite WR, then we get somewhere, but then Hilton's contract runs out. That's where a great TE is needed and we possibly replace Hilton with Campbell next year and try to start young.

You just can't have a top 10 player at every position... every time a player isnt up to that standard fans say we need that standard and thats just not how things work in the NFL. That is just unrealistic. 30 isn't old. 

It is fine. 

And im not acting like all WRs and TEs are equal. Not anywhere does anything i say suggest that. But go ahead put words in my mouth, and tell me what my words actually mean because I guess I have no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Guys are getting open because of Jonathan Taylor and the improved run-blocking, which forces teams to respect the run and Rivers can pass it now without worry. You make it seem like all WRs and TEs are equal, which just isn't true. You throw to the best WRs and TEs on the team. Hilton and Pittman are that and everyone else is inferior right now. That mantra is true for 32 teams, which is why the vast majority of the time, the best WRs and TEs consistently get targeted week to week. We need a receiving TE badly. Definitely a new trend in the NFL the past few years that teams with a top one have a bigger advantage than a team with a top WR. They are harder to find, but I'd pay big money for one in FA, or draft one in the 2nd round if I could get something like Darren Waller production (not going to say Kelce or Kittle).

In today's NFL you cant have the best at every position. 

Fine let's go get a top 10 TE and pay them and you'll see other areas will suffer. 

And like it or not this team is a running team. They designed it this way on purpose. So now you're upset that its working how its supposed to? You're acting like this wasnt the intended purpose when in fact it is. 

• Thanks 1

A young dynamic TE should be on the shopping list this offseason. For a second...I thought they might see if MAC could be that guy. But it seems like he is going to be more of a TE2 type. Pair him with someone like Henry...or a buy low post-hype guy like Engram/JNjoku/Howard...and they are set. 

The draft will also have a few options to look at. But I am not sure if the Colts will be willing to use an early pick on TE.

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The offense isn't struggling because we don't have a top 10 TE...

It seems fans keep forgetting that Rivers spreads the ball around... and I dont understand why that is.

This isnt KC.  

Perhaps one correlates to the other. This offense (especially the passing offense) has no real identity...and I think that's (partly) whey are middle of the pack.  The closest thing to an identity is their use of RBs in the passing game.

But it's really just a hodgepodge of pass catchers. They need 1-2 guys that can be relied on to step up in big games (need to see Hilton do more than torch HOU and LV before I buy that he can be that guy).

But this has really been the case since Reich got here...including in 2018...when the Colts were relying on a 30 year-old possession WR (Inman) to move the ball in the playoffs.

I am pleased with how Rivers has played...but if the offense is going to flow through a immobile QB (instead of a mobile QB who can make plays on his own)...then the offense is definitely still a playmaker or two away from being a top 10 unit.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nobody is game-planning against the Colts TEs anytime soon...that's for sure.

I will say this...a truly good TE is a huge advantage. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I think we go for a tackle in the first round and a corner in the second. I think we're good at tight end for another year with the committee approach.

After watching last weeks game, our future LT is already on team playing LG. It would be much easier to find a LG in the draft

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Nobody is game-planning against the Colts TEs anytime soon...that's for sure.

I will say this...a truly good TE is a huge advantage. 

Rivers needs a TE in the red zone. 

People keep saying he loves to spread the ball around, but he has targeted TE's heavily his entire career until this year.

We do not have a #1 TE on our roster if we stop looking through biased lens. 

I used to believe MAC was going to be the guy, but that does not seem to be trending in the right direction. 

We need a playmaker. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Re MAC, the question is, why doesn't he play more snaps ?

Not sure where his ceiling is. But to the extent that Burton is taking snaps from MAC

(and he definitely is; Doyle has a different skill-set than MAC), I'm not a fan.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Depth at (and future) LT is our biggest need on Offense.  

Like it our not, it’s TE by committee.  There are lots of TEs that could join that committee.  

TE is one of the positions I like "by committee." One injury doesn't hurt the team as much, and come contract time, there's no pressure to overpay.

• Like 2

We're fine at TE if all 3 are back. 

Rivers is on pace for 4300 yards, even without Campbell, and musical chairs at pass catcher the 1H of the season. 

No need at all to spend high dollar on a FA, or much draft capital. I'd be OK with a mid rounder. TE is devalued these days, and typically there are plenty to choose from middle rounds if needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

We are not projected to have a single TE with over 450 yards this season OR 4 touchdowns. 

MAC is our leading TE @ just 30 YPG...

Frank's offense loves the TE position, and we are really in need of a top 10 TE at the position. 

We are getting very limited success at the position, and we are all seeing the difference a top TE can make in the game with Kelce, Waller, Kittle, and Andrews. 

Hoping we target a TE with our 1st or trade up into the early 2nd round. 

There is only one great tight end that produces this year, Kelce.  Waller is good. Kittle is good no doubt.  But after that it is mediocre across the board.

I personally don't think our TE corps is anywhere near a major need for this team.  I mean yeah, if there is a Kelce or Gronk type available then go after them.  They are transcendent players.  

The rest of the tight ends are JAGs.  I am actually pleased with our TE corps.  I think the three guys we have cover a lot of the bases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Pelt said:

If we prioritized the TE position in the off-season ahead of addressing our lack of pass-rush, I can't say that I'd be thrilled.

Sack count might be underwhelming to you, but our pass rush is rated very high, and if I had to guess, we have the highest sack and hurry % if you factor our ultra low blitz %.