Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 Draft Watchlists and Team Fits/ Senior Bowl Week (Merge)

On 3/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, stitches said:

:woah:

If you are looking at a Ballard type of EDGE in the draft... this is the guy... size, length, speed, explosiveness... 

He is the one I have been watching and reading about.    Speed Speed Speed.     He can work with Mathis.  I like him 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shive said:

D’Ante Smith, OT

- Played LT for ECU, but may end up a LG in the NFL.

- I believe he did well at the Senior Bowl.

Whose comments are these about Smith at the bottom?   I thought he’s tall and lean and athletic and built like a tackle?    

Someone thinks he’s a guard?   Maybe I’ve confused Smith with someone else?  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whose comments are these about Smith at the bottom?   I thought he’s tall and lean and athletic and built like a tackle?    

Someone thinks he’s a guard?   Maybe I’ve confused Smith with someone else?  

I want to say I saw that in a piece on him from NFL Draft Diamonds, but I very much agree with you that he looks the part of a tackle. He's definitely a developmental guy, but could be pretty good.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

They both were there at Notre Dame's pro-day the year we drafted Q. 

It would have to be Eichenberg. The only other noteworthy players they have coming out are Ian Book, Ogundeji, and Tremble and they’re all day 3 players.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It would have to be Eichenberg. The only other noteworthy players they have coming out are Ian Book, Ogundeji, and Tremble and they’re all day 3 players.

The TE might go higher. Possible day 2... 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

No JOK? Would take any of them except Book. Ogundeji will be really good, just starting for him. Eichenberg is outstanding, had some false start issues smh. Tremble is a beast, great hands, athletic, heart and soul of the ND run game last year. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Those are not great measurements for Eichenberg. Short arms, not overly athletic. 

Also... his coach is not doing him any favors either. When asked Brian Kelly said Eichenberg will be better RT than LT. 

This is likely the Post of the Day!    It might be the Post of the Week or longer.  

Eichenberg is a good solid OT.   He has nothing to apologize for.   I think he’s a Day 2 kid.   And who knows, 30 teams might see a RT.   But it only takes 1-2 teams to think he can be a LT, so.....  maybe...   

55 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Basham Jr?

Basham had himself a day. He also skimmed down a bit. I think we was like 280+ lbs. at the Senior Bowl. 274 tells me someone he realized teams want to play him at edge and not inside. Would be a great pickup in the 2nd round.

Liam Eichenberg scored a 8.53 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 166 out of 1124 OT from 1987 to 2021.

Tommy Tremble TE scored a 8.8 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 111 out of 918 TE from 1987 to 2021

I don't follow RAS scores much but seemed like Liam did well there

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/31/22360878/both-colts-gm-chris-ballard-head-coach-frank-reich-attend-notre-dames-pro-day

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks so much for this....   I continue to think of Pitts as a real Wild Card in this draft.    I think he's the best TE candidate since Tony Gonzales,  and he might even be more athletic.   KP might even be close to Kellen Winslow Sr who got drafted I think in the last 70's and went on to a HoF career.   The ultimate chess piece mismatch.    There are going to be OC's standing on the table screaming and jumping up and down for him!    I'd love to be the fly on the wall in those War Rooms!

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks so much for this....   I continue to think of Pitts as a real Wild Card in this draft.    I think he's the best TE candidate since Tony Gonzales,  and he might even be more athletic.   KP might even be close to Kellen Winslow Sr who got drafted I think in the last 70's and went on to a HoF career.   The ultimate chess piece mismatch.    There are going to be OC's standing on the table screaming and jumping up and down for him!    I'd love to be the fly on the wall in those War Rooms!

I don't think I can forgive Ballard if he passes on him(in case he falls to us - not likely). The comparison I've seen is Quenton Nelson... in that... he's quite likely the best player in the draft but because of positional value he might fall. Even so, for players of that calibre even the falls are kind of limited - Q fell to 6, not to the 20s... I think similar thing will happen with Pitts - he won't be taken where his talent suggests, but I still don't expect him to get out of the top 10... 

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think I can forgive Ballard if he passes on him(in case he falls to us - not likely). The comparison I've seen is Quenton Nelson... in that... he's quite likely the best player in the draft but because of positional value he might fall. Even so, for players of that calibre even the falls are kind of limited - Q fell to 6, not to the 20s... I think similar thing will happen with Pitts - he won't be taken where his talent suggests, but I still don't expect him to get out of the top 10... 

I'll tell you how much I love Pitts....    For three months I've been banging on the table for the Colts to draft either LT/DE or DE/LT.     Either way,  those two spots.    For months.

But if Pitts were to somehow fall out of the Top-10,  I'd say this...   if the Ballard/Reich combo loves Pitts the way many of us do,   I'd offer our #2 and pick 21 to move up to get him.    Don't think i'd offer more,  but a 1 and a 2 for him.   I know that would leave us without another pick until the 4th round,  but for Pitts,  I'd do it.

I think he's the kind of guy who rarely comes along.   I think the Q comparison is really good.   Rare and special.   A real difference maker in our offense.     I'd be thrilled if he fell and we went and got him.    And I'm a very, very conservative deal maker.    But for rare and special,  a game changer,   I'd be willing to take that chance. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Taven Jenkins pro day numbers:

That's a good showing from him. He even hit the 33" arm length... At this point IMO he's solidified as a R1 prospect. I'd be shocked if he falls out of day 1. 

I’m not sure how much it matters whether Jenkins goes 25, 30, or 35 or 40?

I think it only matters which position he plays.   And the people I read all say Right Tackle or Guard.   No one says Left Tackle.

Could they all be wrong?   Sure.   But the consistency of opinion to me says there’s a better chance they’re right. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure how much it matters whether Jenkins goes 25, 30, or 35 or 40?

I think it only matters which position he plays.   And the people I read all say Right Tackle or Guard.   No one says Left Tackle.

Could they all be wrong?   Sure.   But the consistency of opinion to me says there’s a better chance they’re right. 

Yep, that's my biggest hesitation with him. I love his tape and his attitude and I'd love to have him on my team... but I'm not sure if he can transition to LT and we already have a RT... I guess we can draft him and try out both him and Braden at LT to see what combo does better, but I kind of don't want to chance it. 

For whatever it's worth he seems to have it all physically and athletically to be a LT. But still - the transition in itself introduces some risk. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yep, that's my biggest hesitation with him. I love his tape and his attitude and I'd love to have him on my team... but I'm not sure if he can transition to LT and we already have a RT... I guess we can draft him and try out both him and Braden at LT to see what combo does better, but I kind of don't want to chance it. 

We were fortunate the move of Braden to RT worked out perfectly.  Why risk another move?  I would draft a LT and be done with it.  We should be able to pick a good one at 21.  

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We were fortunate the move of Braden to RT worked out perfectly.  Why risk another move?  I would draft a LT and be done with it.  We should be able to pick a good one at 21.  

Because Jenkins is very likely better player than all the LTs that are likely to be there for us. Just like there are risks with transitioning him to the left side, there are risks with taking inferior players/prospects when better ones are available. 

But yeah... I guess if it's close enough for Ballard, they'd just pick the LT(or another position BPA). 

This is a ridiculous score, i guess he has been training with Joe Staley. I don't know where he is projected I'm guessing round 3/4 since he is a small school guy who struggled at the senior bowl. Seems like a good project player though and you gotta like that he didn't play this season but he didn't get lazy he worked this year off. A player who can keep themselves internally motivated is always a good trait to have.

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Good numbers by Basham. I don’t see him as a DE in an odd front, he has prototypical measurements as a 4-3 DE in my opinion.

For what it’s worth...   I believe he plays in a mostly 3-4 def.   in an interview I read with him he says his favorite position is the 5-tech, which is 3-4 position.   Says it’s his best position.    His words, not mine.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...   I believe he plays in a mostly 3-4 def.   in an interview I read with him he says his favorite position is the 5-tech, which is 3-4 position.   Says it’s his best position.    His words, not mine.  

That’s fair enough NCF. I’d say he dropped down to 274lbs to test better. He is a good player, I’d say he’d be good on either fronts, he has versatility.

14 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

That’s fair enough NCF. I’d say he dropped down to 274lbs to test better. He is a good player, I’d say he’d be good on either fronts, he has versatility.

He probably wanted to test better so people know he can play edge. I don’t know how many teams really draft 3-4 DE’s high In The draft anyways. Plus the 3-4 is kind of dying out. With Wade Phillips and Gregg Williams out of the league , I believe there’s maybe 10 or so teams in the NFL that deploy a true 3-4. The 3-4 requires very specific types of defenders in terms of physical trait requirements, so I think it’s smart for him to try and get drafted as a 4-3 DE.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:25 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'll tell you how much I love Pitts....    For three months I've been banging on the table for the Colts to draft either LT/DE or DE/LT.     Either way,  those two spots.    For months.

But if Pitts were to somehow fall out of the Top-10,  I'd say this...   if the Ballard/Reich combo loves Pitts the way many of us do,   I'd offer our #2 and pick 21 to move up to get him.    Don't think i'd offer more,  but a 1 and a 2 for him.   I know that would leave us without another pick until the 4th round,  but for Pitts,  I'd do it.

I think he's the kind of guy who rarely comes along.   I think the Q comparison is really good.   Rare and special.   A real difference maker in our offense.     I'd be thrilled if he fell and we went and got him.    And I'm a very, very conservative deal maker.    But for rare and special,  a game changer,   I'd be willing to take that chance. 

I totally agree.   This guy is going to be unstoppable

Archived