Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 Draft Watchlists and Team Fits/ Senior Bowl Week (Merge)

48 minutes ago, twfish said:

I still think Pinter will replace glow

Depends who else you draft. I see Meinerz as a better mauler. Pinter could be Kelly’s replacement maybe. 

• Confused 1
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of BYU    

Let's do Cosmi 21 Turner 54

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Depends who else you draft. I see Meinerz as a better mauler. Pinter could be Kelly’s replacement maybe. 

While i think Pinter could be a serviceable center I would much rather DOS a true center. Pinter went from a TE to RT and now possibly a RG in the future. There is a lot more involved in the centers job then just snapping the ball so i would prefer someone more proficient at it.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Great late round depth pick here. Give him a year or two and he could replace Glow. 

Believe it or not, the buzz I’ve read in Meinerz is not late Day 3....    but Day 2.

And that's based on a D3 kid Tampa drafted about 5 years ago.   An interior OL named Ali Meipart.   He had a very good Senior Bowl week and was taken late R2.  In the early 60’s.

Scouts think if Meipart can make the jump, so can Meinerz.   So look for him to probably go sometime Day 2.    I know the mock simulators show him on Day 3,  but those don’t typically get accurate until sometime in April. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Believe it or not, the buzz I’ve read in Meinerz is not late Day 3....    but Day 2.

And that's based on a D3 kid Tampa drafted about 5 years ago.   An interior OL named Ali Meipart.   He had a very good Senior Bowl week and was taken late R2.  In the early 60’s.

Scouts think if Meipart can make the jump, so can Meinerz.   So look for him to probably go sometime Day 2.    I know the mock simulators show him on Day 3,  but those don’t typically get accurate until sometime in April. 

Not shocked if he goes earlier than say round 5 but as of now I would still say maybe a late round guy. 5 or so. 

also it’s Ali Marpet and I am very aware of him. He also had the combine to help him so this year is a little different. What if’s can be made all day. 

I don’t do mock simulators either. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, twfish said:

While i think Pinter could be a serviceable center I would much rather DOS a true center. Pinter went from a TE to RT and now possibly a RG in the future. There is a lot more involved in the centers job then just snapping the ball so i would prefer someone more proficient at it.

I would love to have a true center as well but if Pinter shows to be the solid back up now until say Kelly leaves then he could step in. All hypothetical though. Regardless I would just love to have the solid depth for our o line. 

On 2/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, stitches said:

Schwartz is a blazer, but that's about it at the moment. He's pretty raw when it comes to the more nuanced part of playing WR, but if he gets the right coaching, he could be dangerous in a few years.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 1:56 AM, stitches said:

From everything I heard/read/saw of this kid at the Senior Bowl he sounds like a unit and a good 4th round pick for us if he makes it that far. 
The only question is where will he play. if Pinter is in line to replace Glowinski. Unless they do kick Q out which i still think is unlikely.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:15 PM, DaColts85 said:

Not shocked if he goes earlier than say round 5 but as of now I would still say maybe a late round guy. 5 or so. 

also it’s Ali Marpet and I am very aware of him. He also had the combine to help him so this year is a little different. What if’s can be made all day. 

I don’t do mock simulators either. 

Ali played for Hobart (Geneva NY)which is 10 miles from the town I live in.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, stitches said:

For some odd reason the Colts love to spend their limited resources on some free agent level players.

And that’s what Wedington is.   He’s played some receiver, some corner, and some running back, as well as returning kicks and punts.   He’d be a free agent for us.  Needing a year or two on the PS.   Hard to see him on our 53/55.   But, happy to see a Stanford kid get a little love. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, joecolts said:

If Stanford OT Walker Little is available in the 4th round, he could be steal if he's healthy and stays healthy.  Good article on him on Coltswire: 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/03/indianapolis-colts-nfl-draft-idela-landing-spot-walker-little/ 

This is the tackle I'm hoping we draft as AC's replacement.  I don't think he will drop all the way to the 4th. Rd.  I'm expecting him to have a great pro day on the 18th and move up the board.  He's my sleeper pick for the Colts as I think we trade back and take him in the 2nd or end of the 1st depending on how far back we go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is the tackle I'm hoping we draft as AC's replacement.  I don't think he will drop all the way to the 4th. Rd.  I'm expecting him to have a great pro day on the 18th and move up the board.  He's my sleeper pick for the Colts as I think we trade back and take him in the 2nd or end of the 1st depending on how far back we go. 

I wouldn't be opposed to him in the 2nd because I agree with you, his pro day will move him up the board.  I believe his history of injuries though will keep him late 2nd into the 3rd.  I believe you are right though, he'll be gone by the 4th.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, joecolts said:

I wouldn't be opposed to him in the 2nd because I agree with you, his pro day will move him up the board.  I believe his history of injuries though will keep him late 2nd into the 3rd.  I believe you are right though, he'll be gone by the 4th.

I only know of the one injury which he should be comfortably past by now.  Here's hoping we have a shot at him.  He strikes me as a Ballard type of pick.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I only know of the one injury which he should be comfortably past by now.  Here's hoping we have a shot at him.  He strikes me as a Ballard type of pick.  

Agreed.  Would love to see it.  

• Thanks 1

You guys see the big corner from Georgia (Stokes) ran a 4.2 at the virtual pro day.? I need to see his arm measurements, but he probably is a target. Ballard does like Em long and fast.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You guys see the big corner from Georgia (Stokes) ran a 4.2 at the virtual pro day.? I need to see his arm measurements, but he probably is a target. Ballard does like Em long and fast.

If the times all check out and his measurements are were they need to be this guy jumped up the draft boards. They have him and Tyson Campbell from Georgia that both look the part. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't trust college pro day numbers. Stokes is fast though(doubt 4.24 fast). He was known as a fast and big athlete. Both him and Campbell are kind of in the mold Ballard likes. 

Edit: seems like the number was measured by the same company that does the measurements at the combine... damn... still don't trust it fully, but... maybe a bit more meat on the bone than I thought initially: 

BTW for whatever it's worth I like him better than Campbell, who seems to be mocked higher by most. No idea why. I take Stokes every time over him. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stitches said:

I don't trust college pro day numbers. Stokes is fast though(doubt 4.24 fast). He was known as a fast and big athlete. Both him and Campbell are kind of in the mold Ballard likes. 

Edit: seems like the number was measured by the same company that does the measurements at the combine... damn... still don't trust it fully, but... maybe a bit more meat on the bone than I thought initially: 

BTW for whatever it's worth I like him better than Campbell, who seems to be mocked higher by most. No idea why. I take Stokes every time over him. 

Looks like the times check out. Runs between 4.24-4.34, so speed isn’t an issue. The specifics don’t matter. If you think of the athletic profile that Marvell Tell had when he drafted him, Stokes is in the same mold but probably even more athletic and more developed as a corner. With that pro day he’s a round 1-2 target though.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard likes our corners long and fast?

The long part I get.  100 percent.   But who do we have thats “fast”?

Rhodes, Rock, Moore, Tell, Carrie?   I don’t think of any of them as fast.   I’m not trying to be clever, but I think if them as fast enough.  Very athletic.  Great movement skills. 

The one guy who is blazing fast is...  our little nickel corner behind Moore...   Taylor.  He reportedly ran a 4.28.   Now that’s seriously fast!  And he looks every bit the part.  He looks fast and plays fast. 

Just saying....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rhodes, Rock, Moore, Tell, Carrie?   I don’t think of any of them as fast.   I’m not trying to be clever, but I think if them as fast enough.  Very athletic.  Great movement skills. 

The one guy who is blazing fast is...  our little nickel corner behind Moore...   Taylor.  He reportedly ran a 4.28.   Now that’s seriously fast!  And he looks every bit the part.  He looks fast and plays fast. 

Just saying....

Overall, agree... in our system speed is not really a priority. Length and physicality are. I would like us to add some speed though... it would make it easier to play more man. 

About Isaiah Rodgers - he actually played some outside corner this year. He's very intriguing to me. We have intriguing but unproved options on the roster if Rodgers takes a step forward and Tell returns at a good level. I don't want us to enter the season with just them, but they definitely give our secondary a somewhat hidden potential or at the very least solid depth. I still wouldn't mind us taking a CB ... pretty high in the draft. We need to give ourselves more chances at solid starters and rotation players. Having good secondary rotation is vital in today's game. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Overall, agree... in our system speed is not really a priority. Length and physicality are. I would like us to add some speed though... it would make it easier to play more man. 

About Isaiah Rodgers - he actually played some outside corner this year. He's very intriguing to me. We have intriguing but unproved options on the roster if Rodgers takes a step forward and Tell returns at a good level. I don't want us to enter the season with just them, but they definitely give our secondary a somewhat hidden potential or at the very least solid depth. I still wouldn't mind us taking a CB ... pretty high in the draft. We need to give ourselves more chances at solid starters and rotation players. Having good secondary rotation is vital in today's game. 

Hypothetically speaking...  if we were able to trade back enough to gain a 3, I could see us doing something like this....   

1.   OT or DE

2.   DE or OT

3.   CB

4.   WR

5.   TE

6.   OL

7.    DB 

I too think corner is a high priority.  If we sign Rhodes or another to replace him, I’d guess the third round pick would go to replace Carrie?   It’s hard for me to see Taylor someday being a full time outside corner.  It’s great if he can do it in a pinch,  but doing it full time would feel very un-Ballard like to me.   Taylor feels like the guy who someday replaces Moore who I love.  

Just thinking out loud in early March. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying....

I meant our players in general are long and fast, not just the corners. Banogu had a fast 40, Tell, Leonard (4.7 40 was because he cramped up during the 40), Campbell was fast, Pittman was for his size, Taylor, etc..

Ballard likes length and speed in a lot of his position, as well as physicality. Maybe speed was the wrong word though. Athletic is maybe better. Like you said Rock isn’t exactly fast but is athletic.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

4.28 was the official time on Stokes. That’s Henry Ruggs type speed. Sheesh

I need to go watch the tape now.

Tell me if you like him better than Campbell, because I think I do. BTW Campbell is supposed to be very athletic too. Both of them were track stars in HS.

Both of them ran 10.39 100m dash in high school...

On 2/28/2021 at 8:34 PM, stitches said:

Since I was posting some fast HS track times by other players... It's only fitting to post this one.... The others were considered HS track stars... Schwartz  was world level track star. He actually won medals from world youth championships. He might have been able to go on and be an Olympic athlete if he chose track and field. His best 100m time from high school is 10.07. Insane. He would get into Olympic finals with that type of time and he was like 17-18 clocking this.

It's kind of a shame that it doesn't completely translate on a football field. You can see the burst and speed but he rarely makes big plays with it. One reason for his lack of polish is him being a 2 sport athlete - so during summers when most players would work on improving to their game, Schwartz would be training and participating in world championships in track and field. So... Here comes the question - now that he's focused on football alone - do you think you can coach him up in the more technical aspects of the position? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, stitches said:

Since I was posting some fast HS track times by other players... It's only fitting to post this one.... The others were considered HS track stars... Schwartz  was world level track star. He actually won medals from world youth championships. He might have been able to go on and be an Olympic athlete if he chose track and field. His best 100m time from high school is 10.07. Insane. He would get into Olympic finals with that type of time and he was like 17-18 clocking this.

It's kind of a shame that it doesn't completely translate on a football field. You can see the burst and speed but he rarely makes big plays with it. One reason for his lack of polish is him being a 2 sport athlete - so during summers when most players would work on improving to their game, Schwartz would be training and participating in world championships in track and field. So... Here comes the question - now that he's focused on football alone - do you think you can coach him up in the more technical aspects of the position? 

That's the huge question. He has elite potential if you can coach up the technical side of his game. Part of me wouldn't mind taking that chance.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

That's the huge question. He has elite potential if you can coach up the technical side of his game. Part of me wouldn't mind taking that chance.

Same. Just... probably not very high in the draft. Mid day 3 is where I would take such a shot. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stitches said:

Same. Just... probably not very high in the draft. Mid day 3 is where I would take such a shot. 

Agreed. I would have him slotted as a late 4th/early 5th round pick most likely. I have a sneaking suspicion that some team will overdraft him a bit though.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, stitches said:

It’s all about functional strength but that should alleviate any concerns about his strength. He also weighed in at 314, which was heavier than he was listed. Also ran a 4.85 40 which is freaky for an OT. For comparison that’s what Tristan Wirfs ran last year. I think Cosmi has it all. 

• Like 3

Only 31” arms for Newsome. Doesn’t meet the Ballard threshold. Also heard he struggled in some of his pro day drills.

The arm length might put him down the list for Ballard and I hate that. I e heard nothing but good honestly. He is going in between 20-40 for sure. 

Only 31” arms for Newsome. Doesn’t meet the Ballard threshold. Also heard he struggled in some of his pro day drills.

I'm kinda hoping for Melifonwu in 2nd

• Like 2
3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm kinda hoping for Melifonwu in 2nd

Thats who I like. He’s long (6’2” with 33 inch arms) and is arguably the best tackling CB. Only weakness is likely ball skills as he’s not a turnover machine, but he’s got everything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1