Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 Draft Watchlists and Team Fits/ Senior Bowl Week (Merge)

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nasirildeen is this year’s Jeremy Chinn. Chinn is a guy I really liked last year too. I think Willis has played well but I’d love to have a Swiss Army knife like Nasirildeen. I mocked him to us last year before he opted to return to school.

I also had Nasirildeen on my wish list last season until someone told me he opted back to school after his injury.  Almost forgotten about him this year but like Chinn was high on him as well.  Glad to see Chinn do extremely well in his first year in the NFL.  Too bad the Colts didn't draft Chinn last year but hopefully have learned and can draft Nasirildeen in Round 2 add depth to our SS and he can compete with Okereke in different sub-packages.  Unfortunately, doubt he falls that far to be honest.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

WR v DB 1v1s for y'all if bored this weekend.

Toney is just outrageously quick, its not right to run those drills with the whole field at his mercy.

Josh Palmer looks like a big boundary WR that can move. Worth keeping an eye on.

Austin Watkins too looked good.

Yeah, in general a lot of those one on ones are set up for the offensive players to shine  and a lot of them did. Toney is filthy with his quickness and change of direction. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, in general a lot of those one on ones are set up for the offensive players to shine  and a lot of them did. Toney is filthy with his quickness and change of direction. 

Yeah that’s why every year the WRs are always the early standouts. But the scouts will let the film talk. Personally I really think Wallace would be a fit for us. Love his quickness in his horizontal routes and his toughness.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Toney's explosiveness is honestly stupid. He's one of those guys that you watch break ankles off the line to beat the press and think

53780710.jpg

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that’s why every year the WRs are always the early standouts. But the scouts will let the film talk. Personally I really think Wallace would be a fit for us. Love his quickness in his horizontal routes and his toughness.

I really like Wallace. I love that he's so good at contested catches, but it's because of his skill, not just being taller than everyone else like the typical WR's that are given the "great at contested catches" tagline (that hardly ever pan out). I wish their scheme allowed him to show off his route running more, but I think you see enough of it in the moments he gets to know it's a strength.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wallace is one of my favorites. He probably doesn't have the high end athleticism but he is crafty and tough player. I'd love for us to draft him. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Wallace is one of my favorites. He probably doesn't have the high end athleticism but he is crafty and tough player. I'd love for us to draft him. 

Those are typically my favorite WRs. I gravitate more to guys that run crisp routes and have great technique, but don't necessarily have high-end athleticism (mainly that they're not burners). I feel like guys that know how to create separation using their technique translate a bit better to the pros than a guy that got separation on college just because he was the fastest guy on the field.

Some of my favorites in recent years have been Tyler Lockett, Dante Pettis, and Van Jefferson. AJ Brown too, but I feel like he's got a bit more athleticism than technique to his game than the others.

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

Those are typically my favorite WRs. I gravitate more to guys that run crisp routes and have great technique, but don't necessarily have high-end athleticism (mainly that they're not burners). I feel like guys that know how to create separation using their technique translate a bit better to the pros than a guy that got separation on college just because he was the fastest guy on the field.

Some of my favorites in recent years have been Tyler Lockett, Dante Pettis, and Van Jefferson. AJ Brown too, but I feel like he's got a bit more athleticism than technique to his game than the others.

One of my favorite moments watching football this year was in this Oklahoma state vs Iowa State game. No. 26 was chirping at Wallace the previous play because Wallace false started. This is what followed the very next play:

:D 

5 hours ago, Shive said:

Toney's explosiveness is honestly stupid. He's one of those guys that you watch break ankles off the line to beat the press and think

53780710.jpg

I really like Wallace. I love that he's so good at contested catches, but it's because of his skill, not just being taller than everyone else like the typical WR's that are given the "great at contested catches" tagline (that hardly ever pan out). I wish their scheme allowed him to show off his route running more, but I think you see enough of it in the moments he gets to know it's a strength.

You can't teach hands, Wallace has great body control and hands and separates. Him, Cade Johnson and Nico Collins made some coin at the Senior Bowl, IMO.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

One of my favorite moments watching football this year was in this Oklahoma state vs Iowa State game. No. 26 was chirping at Wallace the previous play because Wallace false started. This is what followed the very next play:

:D 

DAAAANG!!! I was going to say that I also like his physicality, but that clip says it all. Lol

Non-Senior BowI related, but on the topic of WRs, I also want to like Rashod Bateman more, but I think the fact that he's pretty much just good at everything and not elite in anything doesn't draw my attention. I've seen Adam Thielan comps and I think style-wise, it's pretty accurate.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Jamie Newman seems to be showing out.....

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Yeah he disappointed. I think a lot of it has to do with rust. Guy hadn’t played in a game in like 400 days. He was working with that famous QB coach but there’s no substitute for real live game reps. He’s a 3rd round pick at best though.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah he disappointed. I think a lot of it has to do with rust. Guy hadn’t played in a game in like 400 days. He was working with that famous QB coach but there’s no substitute for real live game reps. He’s a 3rd round pick at best though.

Yeah he didn't do himself any favors by sitting out this season. He had a chance to prove his stock against the SEC.

I won't knock his decision to not play because of Covid, but it really hurt him and set his development back. He is 2-3 years from any meaningful impact, if any at all, in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Shive said:

Non-Senior BowI related, but on the topic of WRs, I also want to like Rashod Bateman more, but I think the fact that he's pretty much just good at everything and not elite in anything doesn't draw my attention. I've seen Adam Thielan comps and I think style-wise, it's pretty accurate.

Huh?

What would be the problem with drafting a wr  who you compare to Adam Thielan?

I don’t know much about Bateman, but if he’s like Thielan, then, yes please!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

What would be the problem with drafting a wr  who you compare to Adam Thielan?

I don’t know much about Bateman, but if he’s like Thielan, then, yes please!

It's not that I have any problem with Bateman, he just doesn't have any elite traits that stick out when I watch his film. He's a really good, well-rounded WR that I think could have a great rookie year (of course that would depend on who drafts him).

I'm watching the game now. Elerson Smith from UNI is flashing and making plays. He seems like a long defensive lineman with some speed and they've been lining him up both inside and outside. I think he's a DE in the league and might be an interesting prospect to take a shot at... maybe on day 3? I don't know what his stock is and haven't watched him before today, but definitely a new name to add to my list. His stats from 2019 are pretty good too - 21.5 TFL, 14 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 4 PBUs, 2 blocked punts... he fills the stat sheet similar to Leonard and Okereke. But from DE position. 

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm watching the game now. Elerson Smith from UNI is flashing and making plays. He seems like a long defensive lineman with some speed and they've been lining him up both inside and outside. I think he's a DE in the league and might be an interesting prospect to take a shot at... maybe on day 3? I don't know what his stock is and haven't watched him before today, but definitely a new name to add to my list. His stats from 2019 are pretty good too - 21.5 TFL, 14 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 4 PBUs, 2 blocked punts... he fills the stat sheet similar to Leonard and Okereke. But from DE position. 

He was excellent in the 1v1s too. Hard to know where he will go.

Hard to about a lot of players really, a lot of the best performers were lesser known initially day 3 guys, it’s possible some pushed their way into the back of the 3rd round.

I think the mock drafts will be out by a good bit this year. 

Yeah, contrary to a lot of people Patrick Jones has never really done it for me. Didn't like his game tape throughout the year, and didn't like him in drills at the senior bowl. He plays much smaller then his listed size. I think he's more likely a 3-4 OLB.

One player who absolutely jumped off the tape this week to me was Elerson Smith. Reading up on him too, he seems to be the exact type of DE that Ballard targets. Wouldn't be surprised if we take him anywhere from the 2nd to 5th.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Am I crazy or did Alex Leatherwood not play?

I didn't watch but I don't think many Alabama guys played. They just went for the appearance during the week. They didn't need to steal the spot light from the other guys. They jist played in the NC game against a team full of NFL talent.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:47 PM, Colt Overseas said:

WR v DB 1v1s for y'all if bored this weekend.

Toney is just outrageously quick, its not right to run those drills with the whole field at his mercy.

Josh Palmer looks like a big boundary WR that can move. Worth keeping an eye on.

Austin Watkins too looked good.

Lots of drops and poor throws on those videos.  Who was throwing the passes?  Coaches or the senior bowl QB’s?  Never mind. I see it’s the QB’s.  

On 1/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, Defjamz26 said:

All the more reason to trade him. I mean they have Terell Basham, Pierre Desir, Nate Hairston, Quincy Wilson, and Henry Anderson on their squad. They love Colts players for whatever reason. Throw them another one lol. If TJ Carrie is better than Rock than it isn’t that hard to find upgrades.

Suggest going after the Rams Troy Hill a major upgrade over Rock.  PFF graded Hill with a 74.2 in 2022 and we should be able to offer him at least a 2 year deal worth around $14 million.

As for the draft am leaning towards TE Pat Freiermuth.  One idea I had was not to resign Burton and look to the draft to find a younger replacement that and need the cap space to sign a bunch of big name FAs listed in another thread.  Only curveball to this is if QB Mack Jones is still on the board than by all means draft Jones.

Assuming Walker is gone and we need a MLB so would like to see the Colts select Chazz Suratt in Round 2.  Other notable players might be available are Edge Patrick and WR Amon-Ra St. Brown.  Round 3 looking at Edge Rashad Weaver, WR Nico Collins, or RB Trey Sermon to pair with Taylor.  Can see the Colts being more of a run team this year.  I still like Divine Deablo at Safety in the 4th to add depth with Willis.  Kellen Mond might be an interesting depth QB for us but like to see LB Charles Snowden and Edge Victor Dimukeje as potential targets.  Two offensive lineman peeked my interest lately OT Kayode Awosika and OT Jaylon Moore.  CB Jahshon Wright would be another interesting prospect.

20 hours ago, OhioColt said:

As for the draft am leaning towards TE Pat Freiermuth.  One idea I had was not to resign Burton and look to the draft to find a younger replacement that and need the cap space to sign a bunch of big name FAs listed in another thread.  Only curveball to this is if QB Mack Jones is still on the board than by all means draft Jones.

Assuming Walker is gone and we need a MLB so would like to see the Colts select Chazz Suratt in Round 2.  Other notable players might be available are Edge Patrick and WR Amon-Ra St. Brown.  Round 3 looking at Edge Rashad Weaver, WR Nico Collins, or RB Trey Sermon to pair with Taylor.  Can see the Colts being more of a run team this year.  I still like Divine Deablo at Safety in the 4th to add depth with Willis.  Kellen Mond might be an interesting depth QB for us but like to see LB Charles Snowden and Edge Victor Dimukeje as potential targets.  Two offensive lineman peeked my interest lately OT Kayode Awosika and OT Jaylon Moore.  CB Jahshon Wright would be another interesting prospect.

I'm really intrigued by Pat Friermuth too. It might not seem like the best value using a 2 on a TE when we have alot of needs in premium positions. But having a playmaking move TE would be a huge boost to our offense. And its tricky finding those top range TEs, there are only a handful of truely good playmakers at TE in the league. 

On 1/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, cjrichard said:

I'm expecting the Colts to target QB, LT, WR, Edge in FA.     

I'm feeling a trade down in the first unless a high upside LT, Edge, WR, or CB falls in the Colts lap.  Trading out of the first with the Dolphins would garner two additional second rounders (3 total).  The second round has a lot of quality players and gives the Colts a lot of flexibility to fill the roster after FA and keep the Colts under the cap with a little room for roster surprises (injuries, unexpected FA releases).

Joseph

i hope ballard goes the fa route for the needs you mentioned, draft picks are a gamble and most take awhile, but not like ballard to go big in free agency, imo that is his big weakness

On 2/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, DEFENSE said:

i hope ballard goes the fa route for the needs you mentioned, draft picks are a gamble and most take awhile, but not like ballard to go big in free agency, imo that is his big weakness

That's not a weakness at all

Its better to build through the draft 

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2021 Draft Watchlists and Team Fits/ Senior Bowl Week (Merge)
39 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I'd take Alex Leatherwood in a heartbeat if he's still there when we pick..

Leatherwood as a .....    what?

Tackle or guard!    

For what it’s worth... 

He had a terrible Senior Bowl week.  He’s now being looked at more as a guard than tackle. 

On 2/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, OhioColt said:

I doubt we draft a linebacker very high. I think Okereke moves to Walker's spot. We didn't go with three linebackers very often anyway.

Archived