Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 Draft Watchlists and Team Fits/ Senior Bowl Week (Merge)

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Leatherwood as a .....    what?

Tackle or guard!    

For what it’s worth... 

He had a terrible Senior Bowl week.  He’s now being looked at more as a guard than tackle. 

The more I watch Leatherwood he is looking like a Erik Flowers, Cam Robinson type of player. Solid in college but will struggle in the pros until they are kicked into the guard spot. Flowers was giving chances at Tackle and showed time and time again it was not a fit. Move into guard and he is solid. Cam hopefully gets kicked into a guard spot somewhere because he has struggled as well at LT. 

Leatherwood will be drafted in the second and I think still gets a chance at Tackle but ultimately he will end up at Guard IMO. . 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man the more I read/watch about Payton Turner, the more I like. I forget what user it is on here that is a huge fan of his, but I can see the reason for the hype, and how he’s s fit. Plenty of length, motor is red hot (chases down plays from behind), arsenal of pass rush moves, powerful, and great character. Screams Ballard type. Also much more of the traditional DE type than some of the guys we drafted. Lewis was a tweener, Banogu is basically TJ Green, and Turray was super raw. But Payton is everything you want in a tradition 4-3 DE. He’s not as bendy or bursty as some of the other guys, but he’s more refined.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Man the more I read/watch about Payton Turner, the more I like. I forget what user it is on here that is a huge fan of his, but I can see the reason for the hype, and how he’s s fit. Plenty of length, motor is red hot (chases down plays from behind), arsenal of pass rush moves, powerful, and great character. Screams Ballard type. Also much more of the traditional DE type than some of the guys we drafted. Lewis was a tweener, Banogu is basically TJ Green, and Turray was super raw. But Payton is everything you want in a tradition 4-3 DE. He’s not as bendy or bursty as some of the other guys, but he’s more refined.

I really like him too. I think he can be a good replacement for Autry at that LDE role with an ability to rush from the inside on 3rd down too.  Just on the length you were alluding to, his 84 inch wingspan is the longest recorded for a DE since 1999! Plenty to work with.

He screams a Ballard pick for sure. Senior Bowl guy that in just 5 games for 2020 had great production. Has played both DE and DT so understands the difference. Fits our system and can definitely be a Autry type player. 

On 2/17/2021 at 7:05 PM, DaColts85 said:

He screams a Ballard pick for sure. Senior Bowl guy that in just 5 games for 2020 had great production. Has played both DE and DT so understands the difference. Fits our system and can definitely be a Autry type player. 

No third round pick because Wentz trade. I hope we trade back in the 1st or 2nd to pick one up. That’s where I think we should take Payton because I don’t know if he makes it to the 4th.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:45 PM, Orioles22 said:

I doubt we draft a linebacker very high. I think Okereke moves to Walker's spot. We didn't go with three linebackers very often anyway.

Now with the Wentz trade it does change some of the draft plans or not.  Kind of expect to look for an Edge player and LT in Rounds 1-2.   Talk is Okereke is moving over to Walker's spot which means true to Colts' form we take a LB in Rounds 4-5 range.  I like Snowden as SLB if he is still available.  Injury bug caught up to Snowden at the Senior Bowl so not sure how far down he will drop.

No third round pick because Wentz trade. I hope we trade back in the 1st or 2nd to pick one up. That’s where I think we should take Payton because I don’t know if he makes it to the 4th.

I doubt he makes it out of the third you are right. I just don’t know if we trade up. Ballard won’t want to lose more picks IMO. 

I did this mock this morning, the site had been updated for the trade to get Wentz.

Thinking Ballard will address edge in FA, i would love to resign Houston and sign JJ. And try to get the OT that went to the packers for the playoffs as well. I think TY will want to come back since we have a QB that can throw it deep

20210220_134833.jpg

5 hours ago, stitches said:

He's such a wildcard. An explosive playmaker, but he's missed most of the past few seasons. You hope he's going to be as good as you think he can be, but with his size and limited play time, you really have no way of knowing.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

He's such a wildcard. An explosive playmaker, but he's missed most of the past few seasons. You hope he's going to be as good as you think he can be, but with his size and limited play time, you really have no way of knowing.

Considering the luck we’ve had with players that were healthy in college but ended up having issues in the NFL (Campbell, Lewis, etc...), I’m even more hesitant about guys who had injury issues in college.

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Considering the luck we’ve had with players that were healthy in college but ended up having issues in the NFL (Campbell, Lewis, etc...), I’m even more hesitant about guys who had injury issues in college.

I've seen him mocked to us in the 1st, but it's a hard pass from me. Way too many red flags with the injuries and very little college experience for me to justify drafting him in the first 2 rounds.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He really don't have a very impressive career. 

28 catches for 218 yds this year with half of that coming in 2 games. 

He has been used as a fullback/H-back roll for his blocking. 

Maybe a late round flyer? 

I had no idea who this guy was until I started to watch tape.

He is an AMAZING blocker, which probably had the OC featuring him in that role vs as a pass catcher. (Not the kids fault)

One analyst said 2nd to 4th round pick.

If he runs a 4.5 to 4.6 at his pro day, he may help his cause further

Also..... 

There are some vids of him working with special needs kids, and him being interviewed 

He is a highly intelligent, articulate kid......  

He seems like a CB "kinda guy'

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I had no idea who this guy was until I started to watch tape.

He is an AMAZING blocker, which probably had the OC featuring him in that role vs as a pass catcher. (Not the kids fault)

One analyst said 2nd to 4th round pick.

If he runs a 4.5 to 4.6 at his pro day, he may help his cause further

Also..... 

There are some vids of him working with special needs kids, and him being interviewed 

He is a highly intelligent, articulate kid......  

He seems like a CB "kinda guy'

Most players are drafted on potential so I am curious where he would fall on Ballard's draft board? 

Who knows if his contact with the Colts will turn into something? 

There are a couple of TEs in the draft I am definitely interested in. 

I know there is no way for Pitts to fall to the Colts but if he did It wouldn't make me made to use a #1 on him. 

15 hours ago, stitches said:

I haven't payed a lot of attention to CBs yet, but Trill seems to check almost all of the boxes for what we look for in a corner (haven't seen any arm length figures yet, but length is a common positive I've seen for him, so im3 assuming he hits the marks). I'm really intrigued and need to check out some more film of him.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I have no idea what to do with measurements and athletic testing from players this year. Do you ignore them altogether? How do you know which ones are real'ish?

Stitches....    to your very good point about how to know which performances are real-ish and which are not?  

I read a good story earlier this month, I think from Sports Illustrated, basically saying the scouting community is freaking out trying to figure out that exact question. 

The loss of the combine eliminates the apples to apples comparison that everyone had.   Plus the loss of face to face meetings...   plus the same set of doctors examining all the players.   All gone.  Medical exams will be done by local doctors.   Personnel people don’t know what to do?   Or didn’t as of early Feb.

I think this increases the chances of scouting error for all teams.   Perhaps dramatically?

I think we could see more Day 1 and Day 2 misses than ever before.   But that’s just my guess...

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Trimble is a more athletic Doyle. And that is a good thing. Great blocker who can get open and be your safety blanket. But not going to wow you as a big WR type. 

If he runs a 4.5 to 4.6, he MIGHT wow some folks that also look for a more dynamic receiving TE

He might have been held back because of the offense ran at ND

If he is 4.9, He will slide to the end of the draft

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stitches....    to your very good point about how to know which performances are real-ish and which are not?  

I read a good story earlier this month, I think from Sports Illustrated, basically saying the scouting community is freaking out trying to figure out that exact question. 

The loss of the combine eliminates the apples to apples comparison that everyone had.   Plus the loss of face to face meetings...   plus the same set of doctors examining all the players.   All gone.  Medical exams will be done by local doctors.   Personnel people don’t know what to do?   Or didn’t as of early Feb.

Yeah, it will be a weird off-season for NFL FOs and scouts... I don't think they've ever been this hindered from doing their jobs. 

I think this increases the chances of scouting error for all teams.   Perhaps dramatically?

I think we could see more Day 1 and Day 2 misses than ever before.   But that’s just my guess...

I think it won't be very dramatic for the league as a whole, but it might separate the good from the bad FOs. The cases where a prospect drops a ton because of a medical or character red flag are not a ton and the most serious ones are usually known in advance. The surprising ones that pop up at the combine for the first time are very rare. Meaning... for the huge majority of premier talent - they would be drafted in the general range of where they would have been drafted in another year too. Maybe it won't be by the same team, but IMO it will be in the same general range. The biggest misses IMO will be medical misses if there are any. Teams still have a ton of tape to watch and evaluate the players on. 

Can you imagine if teams actually do better this year? What would that mean? Maybe teams focusing on the tape, rather than falling in love with a player's personality or athletic numbers would actually give better results for some? 

I think I actually read some study that suggested that players that fall due to off-field concerns usually overperform their draft slot, while players that fall due to on-field issues - underperform. Trying to find it now, but can't seem to... I posted it here a while back too... 

Anyways... it will be an interesting off-season for sure - depressed FA market, limited info on draft prospects, etc... I guess it's even more of an opportunity for the GMs that run better operation to shine and actually organized their resources and get the best info they can. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he runs a 4.5 to 4.6, he MIGHT wow some folks that also look for a more dynamic receiving TE

He might have been held back because of the offense ran at ND

If he is 4.9, He will slide to the end of the draft

Oh absolutely. Teams can see this guy has all around potential. Solid blocker with the WR side potential. But if he is running a 4.5 then he is definitely going 2nd or 3rd round IMO. 

Archived