Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Colts at Raiders - Good, Bad, and Ugly

EastStreet

Overall, it was a must win, and the offense made a statement. 

Good

1. The offense - throughout the entire game they were good. Only a few very small complaints. They are peaking now, and IMO, arguably better than our defense.
  2. Rivers - 68%, 250ish yards, 2 TDs, no INTs, clutch throws, and did all that with our running game getting more touches than passing. Didn't look old today. He's been playing really good ball. 
  3. Taylor - best game IMO by far. 150ish yards and 2 TDs rushing. Add in another 20ish catching. Anyone still think he stinks? Anyone still think he can't "break away"? He was feasting the first drive, and then got pulled down by the goal line. Why? lol. Glad he finally got some goal line carries and got the TD even though it was out of the wildcat.
  4. TY - the DBs weren't good, but he played his behind off. Some very clutch catches, and I loved the 1st TD when he bodied the DB off him make the contested grab. That's what he used to do all the time, and hasn't done in a while. 2 TDs from him was biggly.
  5. Pittman started out looking great, then faded a bit. Early, I loved his "glide". The announcer even talked about how he ran. The penalty is the only thing that bothered me about him today. Got to quit flinching. That's the 2nd or 3rd time this year. 
  6. OL - looked pretty darn good all game, and even with Nelson momentarily at LT. Some very nice run blocking, and Rivers didn't get sacked once. Only got hit/knocked down once IIRC.
  7. Moore - what an INT. One handed spectacular grab that will certainly make the highlight real. Made up for some of the below...

Bad

1. 1st half D - again, very inconsistent. Had it not been for the Moore INT in the end zone, we would have given up 21 in the 1st half. That's just not good, no matter what they do in the 2H or what the final score is.
  2. DL - zero sacks... Got to do better than that. Only two QB hits the whole game, and didn't get home once.
  3. Moore - got burnt at least twice, and he got flat out blown up on a Jacobs run. He'd be in the ugly had he not got that amazing INT.
  4. Reich - trying to run the ball with time running out. Almost missed the opportunity for a FG. Thankfully we lucked out with 1 sec remaining.

Ugly

1. Blackmon - Got burnt horribly once, and burnt pretty bad again, both in the 1st H. In addition, either he or Willis blew coverage badly too, just not sure who was at fault. Then got burnt again later on that double pass. I love his forward aggressiveness, but that's one of the reasons he's dropping the ball on his backend coverage duties.
  2. Injuries - Hope Leonard's back, and Rhode's lower leg are OK. 
  3. The picked up PI flag.... the DB straight up tacked TY before the ball was there. Wrapped him up. Wasn't close to what the announcers were saying (it wasn't that bang bang). Clear PI.
  4. Johnson's route running - clearly he wasn't where Rivers expected him to be. This is the third noticeable time Rivers gave him the look... It's not happening with other WRs, even the young ones. Too many now to give him the benefit of the doubt. His snap share has been declining since the 1st occurrence. 

Oline probably had its best game of the year.  Run game looks better when there are actual holes.  JT looks like his vision is improving, the game is slowing.

Our #1 WR and #1 RB had great games.  It helps the entire O when the guys you count on perform well.

Carr to Ruggs deep has been a great combo for LVR this season.  We held that in check.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Oline probably had its best game of the year.  Run game looks better when there are actual holes. 

Yep, they played very well. Not that LVR has the best DL, but their iDL is very good. OL had some very very good plays in both phases. I won't pretend I wasn't a bit worried about their iDL clogging things up.

JT looks like his vision is improving, the game is slowing.

A few of his runs showed incredible vision. And some very patient and hard running too. I think some were just unrealistic and too impatient early in the season. Very few RBs come in and kill it from day one, and those that do, are typically jumping from a college blocking scheme that is similar to their new blocking scheme. That wasn't the case for JT. 

JT is now 11th in total yards, and 15th in YPG. That is pretty incredible considering our running back by committee and gradual ramp of JT. His YPC is up to 4.5 now, which is better than Mack's 4.4 last year.

Anyway, looks like some of the haters and early overreactors have some crow to feast on.

Our #1 WR and #1 RB had great games.  It helps the entire O when the guys you count on perform well.

TY played very well yesterday. DBs weren't good, but TY made some clutch catches, was open, etc.. The most impressive things to me was his use of his body for positioning. That looked like the old TY.

Carr to Ruggs deep has been a great combo for LVR this season.  We held that in check.

Our Ss still looked pretty bad.

10 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I gotta eat some crow thought Rivers would have a worse season.

Add some hot sauce and enjoy. It's really refreshing to see how he's come on after coming to a new team, having a covid camp and no preseason, and musical chairs at pass catcher all year. He should do even better as our running game comes along.

And and thanks for posting the tweet. Most folks won't believe it, but his INT% is his 3rd lowest of his career. Only better in 2017, and way back in 2009. 

Overall it was a good performance and a big win.  Always room for improvement and so glad to see Taylor break out.  I was impressed with his breakaway speed on that 62 yard TD run.

Now, I have one issue with the Colts using Brissett on short yardage plays.  I understand the thinking and he's certainly more mobile than Rivers.

BUT, has anyone noticed that when JB gets under center and has his left leg planted sort of behind him that he always runs the QB sneak?  If he gets under center and his feet are parallel, then it's not a QB sneak.  I'm sure defenses see that, too.  He's tipping off the QB sneak when that leg is back and I know it's so he can push off that leg when the ball is snapped.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Overall it was a good performance and a big win.  Always room for improvement and so glad to see Taylor break out.  I was impressed with his breakaway speed on that 62 yard TD run.

Now, I have one issue with the Colts using Brissett on short yardage plays.  I understand the thinking and he's certainly more mobile than Rivers.

BUT, has anyone noticed that when JB gets under center and has his left leg planted sort of behind him that he always runs the QB sneak?  If he gets under center and his feet are parallel, then it's not a QB sneak.  I'm sure defenses see that, too.  He's tipping off the QB sneak when that leg is back and I know it's so he can push off that leg when the ball is snapped.

Thoughts?

Yep, a buddy of mine pointed that out too. I still like the use in those situations. Even if the D knows it's coming, still pretty hard to stop. Hopefully he can stop tipping his hand, either that, or use it as a set up.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good - Rock didn't have a PI!  Bad - Pittman needs to wait for the snap.

Adv stats aren't out yet, but Rock played very well in what I saw. He was like glue on several snaps that I could follow his route. IIRC, one was against Ruggs, who is one of the fastest in the league and he did a pretty good job getting him off his route. 

Pittman looked sooooo good early on, and then kind of faded in the game. Not bad, but he just didn't get a lot of looks after that due to all the run heavy plays. And yes, gotta wait for the snap. I think it's still rook nerves a bit. Thinking too much. 

Just thinking about it there, I think TY Hilton emerging could genuinely be huge for us as we head towards the playoffs.  Its been years really since we have had a fully healthy TY playing in December and January. When TY is in this form, he elevates the offense to a higher level and gives us the capacity to rack up a big score.

It's really encouraging to see the offense heating up as we head towards the business end of the season. Exactly what you want. Our key players are gathering form. I think yesterday was exactly how Frank Reich wants to run an offense. Impose and establish a physical run game, get ahead of the chains and get Rivers to get the ball out quick on passing downs. Yesterday was one of Frank Reichs best games imo.

31 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Just thinking about it there, I think TY Hilton emerging could genuinely be huge for us as we head towards the playoffs.  Its been years really since we have had a fully healthy TY playing in December and January. When TY is in this form, he elevates the offense to a higher level and gives us the capacity to rack up a big score.

It's really encouraging to see the offense heating up as we head towards the business end of the season. Exactly what you want. Our key players are gathering form. I think yesterday was exactly how Frank Reich wants to run an offense. Impose and establish a physical run game, get ahead of the chains and get Rivers to get the ball out quick on passing downs. Yesterday was one of Frank Reichs best games imo.

It was pretty good from Frank. You can't impose the run always like JT did early, but it worked well yesterday.

Texans and Jags are both bottom 10 vs the pass (Pitt is #2), Texans and Jags are both bottom 3 (LOL) vs the run (Pitt is 6th). In short, We should be able to impose anything vs Jax and Houston. Not so much vs Pitt.

Just now, aaron11 said:

i was mad about that pi non call, was hoping frank would challenge.  he was clearly early and no way that was just incidental contact.

and it wasn't bang bang like the announcers were excusing it for. 

obviously it was bad enough for someone to toss the flag. 

i yelled at my tv lol

Just now, EastStreet said:

and it wasn't bang bang like the announcers were excusing it for. 

obviously it was bad enough for someone to toss the flag. 

i yelled at my tv lol

If that was Rock on one of their WRs, it would have been upheld.  

I don't mind if they "let them play", as long as it applies to both teams.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Overall, it was a must win, and the offense made a statement. 

Good

1. The offense - throughout the entire game they were good. Only a few very small complaints. They are peaking now, and IMO, arguably better than our defense.
  2. Rivers - 68%, 250ish yards, 2 TDs, no INTs, clutch throws, and did all that with our running game getting more touches than passing. Didn't look old today. He's been playing really good ball. 
  3. Taylor - best game IMO by far. 150ish yards and 2 TDs rushing. Add in another 20ish catching. Anyone still think he stinks? Anyone still think he can't "break away"? He was feasting the first drive, and then got pulled down by the goal line. Why? lol. Glad he finally got some goal line carries and got the TD even though it was out of the wildcat.
  4. TY - the DBs weren't good, but he played his behind off. Some very clutch catches, and I loved the 1st TD when he bodied the DB off him make the contested grab. That's what he used to do all the time, and hasn't done in a while. 2 TDs from him was biggly.
  5. Pittman started out looking great, then faded a bit. Early, I loved his "glide". The announcer even talked about how he ran. The penalty is the only thing that bothered me about him today. Got to quit flinching. That's the 2nd or 3rd time this year. 
  6. OL - looked pretty darn good all game, and even with Nelson momentarily at LT. Some very nice run blocking, and Rivers didn't get sacked once. Only got hit/knocked down once IIRC.
  7. Moore - what an INT. One handed spectacular grab that will certainly make the highlight real. Made up for some of the below...

Bad

1. 1st half D - again, very inconsistent. Had it not been for the Moore INT in the end zone, we would have given up 21 in the 1st half. That's just not good, no matter what they do in the 2H or what the final score is.
  2. DL - zero sacks... Got to do better than that. Only two QB hits the whole game, and didn't get home once.
  3. Moore - got burnt at least twice, and he got flat out blown up on a Jacobs run. He'd be in the ugly had he not got that amazing INT.
  4. Reich - trying to run the ball with time running out. Almost missed the opportunity for a FG. Thankfully we lucked out with 1 sec remaining.

Ugly

1. Blackmon - Got burnt horribly once, and burnt pretty bad again, both in the 1st H. In addition, either he or Willis blew coverage badly too, just not sure who was at fault. Then got burnt again later on that double pass. I love his forward aggressiveness, but that's one of the reasons he's dropping the ball on his backend coverage duties.
  2. Injuries - Hope Leonard's back, and Rhode's lower leg are OK. 
  3. The picked up PI flag.... the DB straight up tacked TY before the ball was there. Wrapped him up. Wasn't close to what the announcers were saying (it wasn't that bang bang). Clear PI.
  4. Johnson's route running - clearly he wasn't where Rivers expected him to be. This is the third noticeable time Rivers gave him the look... It's not happening with other WRs, even the young ones. Too many now to give him the benefit of the doubt. His snap share has been declining since the 1st occurrence. 

All solid points! Nice review!

Only one I disagree with is Bad#4. Obviously 20/20 because we still got the FG but I loved the aggressive play call there, Especially after we gashed them for 10+ on the same drive with a similar call. A FG there only put us up by 6 if I recall correctly. Getting the TD and putting us up by 10 was definitely worth the risk of the FG IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If that was Rock on one of their WRs, it would have been upheld.  

I don't mind if they "let them play", as long as it applies to both teams.

Yup. Rock has an uphill climb due to his rep. Stinks, but it is what it is. Yesterday was a good start though. 

3 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Only one I disagree with is Bad#4. Obviously 20/20 because we still got the FG but I loved the aggressive play call there, Especially after we gashed them for 10+ on the same drive with a similar call. A FG there only put us up by 6 if I recall correctly. Getting the TD and putting us up by 10 was definitely worth the risk of the FG IMO. 

Thanks buddy. On the run though, way too risky for me given the clock. Could have been great (if we got a TD), but could have been a disaster too lol. Had we not got the 3, folks would be cussing. The fact we beat them by so much will make it easy to ignore. I just don't like it. Just glad it didn't cost us. 

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Raiders fire their defensive coordinator right after the game. Ouch.

Probably a good thing, but they also need a lot of upgrades on that side too.

Our Os are very similar, and I think they could be like us (in 2020) quickly with a couple FAs, and a good draft.

12 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

It was a ballsy call but reckless. One more tick of the clock and the fg is lost. The Colts were lucky. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The pretty = Rivers 3507 Yards passing, 68% completions, 20 TD's, only 9 INTs. The ugly = I feel sorry for teams that have to play us from here on out because Taylor is about steamroll them, and TY is about to clown them ronald mcdonald fun GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK happy homer simpson GIF- we are a contender again, heck yes!

Let's just hope TY continues his re-emergence. He definitely should have another good game next week vs Houston. Just need him to show up big in Pitt, and later in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just hope this team is really turning the corner and and getting better and it wasn't just the Raiders being that bad.

tenor.gif

I think the O is legit good now based on consistency in the last several games. 

D is sliding though, and scares me more than anything (pass D mostly).

Lol. We lay a forty burger on the Raiders, our offensive line keeps our toe inhibited QB completely safe, run the ball for over 200 yards on the ground, scored it's most points in a single game in 6 years, did not turn the ball over or allow a sack, and our defense leads the league in pick 6's...........and some are waiting to have something proven to them.

I feel no doubts, just absolute joy at that W Sunday. From 12's retirement, to covid, to injuries....this team from the GM on down, is freaking impressive. It is already a successful season. 

39 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Lol. We lay a forty burger on the Raiders, our offensive line keeps our toe inhibited QB completely safe, run the ball for over 200 yards on the ground, scored it's most points in a single game in 6 years, did not turn the ball over or allow a sack, and our defense leads the league in pick 6's...........and some are waiting to have something proven to them.

I feel no doubts, just absolute joy at that W Sunday. From 12's retirement, to covid, to injuries....this team from the GM on down, is freaking impressive. It is already a successful season. 

Falcons laid a forty burger on them too, and the Jets were a play away from laying a stinkburger on them. 

Just saying.... 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Falcons laid a forty burger on them too, and the Jets were a play away from laying a stinkburger on them. 

Just saying.... 

...and if those teams fans were complaining or lessening the accomplishment after their similar style wins, they were just as sad in my eyes. 

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

...and if those teams fans were complaining or lessening the accomplishment after their similar style wins, they were just as sad in my eyes. 

If simple critiquing of both good and bad elements makes you sad, I'm sorry. Dan has a few sunshine threads I'm sure if you need a mood enhancer :thmup:

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If simple critiquing of both good and bad elements makes you sad, I'm sorry. Dan has a few sunshine threads I'm sure if you need a mood enhancer :thmup:

If you read my posting style, you would know I am never sad about my team. I said the posters were sad. It was a "kind" description that was .com friendly. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Adv stats aren't out yet, but Rock played very well in what I saw. He was like glue on several snaps that I could follow his route. IIRC, one was against Ruggs, who is one of the fastest in the league and he did a pretty good job getting him off his route. 

Pittman looked sooooo good early on, and then kind of faded in the game. Not bad, but he just didn't get a lot of looks after that due to all the run heavy plays. And yes, gotta wait for the snap. I think it's still rook nerves a bit. Thinking too much. 

On the upside, that is a trainable deficiency to fix.   He has been impressive in my opinion.  I hope Reich learns to get him more involved much like he should do with Cox.  

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know if this is good or ugly, but I'm sure we will find a place for it here :

nobody ever accused Pascal of not blocking lol...

I'm sure VB is hearing it from his team mates bahaha

1 minute ago, Myles said:

On the upside, that is a trainable deficiency to fix.   He has been impressive in my opinion.  I hope Reich learns to get him more involved much like he should do with Cox.  

I agree. I chalk it up to just rook nerves, and trying to get off the blocks fast.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Rock has an uphill climb due to his rep. Stinks, but it is what it is. Yesterday was a good start though. 

Thanks buddy. On the run though, way too risky for me given the clock. Could have been great (if we got a TD), but could have been a disaster too lol. Had we not got the 3, folks would be cussing. The fact we beat them by so much will make it easy to ignore. I just don't like it. Just glad it didn't cost us. 

I still think JT makes that a TD instead of Hines being stopped short.  Oh well,  great game regardless!

Archived