Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson at LT/JMV on LT (merge)

CR91

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, csmopar said:

Yep and it worked well

In fairness so did Green for the drive he was in there minus the false start.  It’s hard NOT to look good vs the Raiders defense but I will see I feel more comfortable with Nelson at LT than Green for an extended period of time.  Still I was much more happy to see AC be ok.

58 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He did well. Makes you think of them future as guards are easier to find.

No, I think it’s like I said earlier this week, you can sandwich and cover for a weaker player if he’s sandwiched between two studs like Kelly and Q. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, I think it’s like I said earlier this week, you can sandwich and cover for a weaker player if he’s sandwiched between two studs like Kelly and Q. 

The "rule of two" or something like that? An exceptional player in an offensive line spot can cover for a weaker player one spot, but can't cover for a weaker player two spots over on the o-line.

I remember reading about it at one point, but I'm no expert. 

As a Notre Dame fan I remember that the oline coach went with the best oline, not necessarily the best lineman in each spot. He was a 5 Star recruit as a LT and is more of an athlete than Mike McGlinchey......but MM at LT and Q at LG was the best lineup.

Q would be an all pro no matter where he lined up at. So if push came to shove and they found another stud OG I would feel comfortable kicking him out to LT. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

As a Notre Dame fan I remember that the oline coach went with the best oline, not necessarily the best lineman in each spot. He was a 5 Star recruit as a LT and is more of an athlete than Mike McGlinchey......but MM at LT and Q at LG was the best lineup.

Q would be an all pro no matter where he lined up at. So if push came to shove and they found another stud OG I would feel comfortable kicking him out to LT. 

Q at QB in 21

I thought Hunt stepping in at guard was....  interesting at the least.   But Pinter?   And I think there was a play where we had a 6th lineman in and it was Green and not Pinter.

Perhaps Pinter was sick today?   Two examples where he should’ve been in and he wasn’t.    Hmmmm?  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought Hunt stepping in at guard was....  interesting at the least.   But Pinter?   And I think there was a play where we had a 6th lineman in and it was Green and not Pinter.

Perhaps Pinter was sick today?   Two examples where he should’ve been in and he wasn’t.    Hmmmm?  

Lots to think about. Hunt may have become a full time member of the 53  for the rest of the year after that performance. And that’s no knock on Pinter. The kid IS a rookie after all. With talent. The Colts’ depth suddenly seems less of a concern. And Big Q at LT in the future? Not such a crazy proposition as it was a few days ago. He can play it in a pinch. And maybe more than that. 

I think if they don't have a ready replacement for AC, Quenton should be a real option to be moved to LT, which is a much more important position than LG and much harder to find a great player at. I think Q has all it takes to be great there too. Imagine if he had a full off-season working on it... 

If I am Nelson I say "yes please" to becoming a left tackle.

Start learning the nuances of it with Costanzo the rest of the year and the offseason, and be ready when AC retires.

Tackles, especially left tackles, get paid way more money than guards and get way more notoriety.

This is a no brainer on Nelson's part if I am him. 

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I’m gonna admit I was against moving him to tackle but he did really well 

Blocking is blocking is blocking.  I think we sometimes overestimate sports and its difficulty.

These guys have been playing football all of their lives.  When it comes down to it, it is just moving your feet, staying in front of your guy, and learning hand and arm techniques.

I would expect a person of Nelson's ability to have little trouble adjusting to tackle. 

5 hours ago, StatesmanN said:

If I am Nelson I say "yes please" to becoming a left tackle.

Start learning the nuances of it with Costanzo the rest of the year and the offseason, and be ready when AC retires.

Tackles, especially left tackles, get paid way more money than guards and get way more notoriety.

This is a no brainer on Nelson's part if I am him. 

Maybe I'm biased as a Colts fan... but Big Q has been a 1st team all pro his first two years in the league and Baldy hypes him up on social media quite a bit.  I'm not totally sure there's an offensive lineman in the league who gets more notoriety than Q.  I get it, tackles typically make more money, but Q is going to get paid at G if it comes down to it and if that's his best position, I think he should stay there.

When they put him over there, I was a little surprised but IF they decide to make him ACs replacement in a couple of years, they could have their starting LT for years to come and that’s a big deal.

That being said, the way Ballard drafts I trust whatever they decide to do. Keeping him at guard makes sense, should they draft a stud LT either this draft in April or next. 
  With Kelly, Q and AC, they may have a dominant force, to rival Ott, Upshaw and Shell.

6 hours ago, StatesmanN said:

Blocking is blocking is blocking.  I think we sometimes overestimate sports and its difficulty.

These guys have been playing football all of their lives.  When it comes down to it, it is just moving your feet, staying in front of your guy, and learning hand and arm techniques.

I would expect a person of Nelson's ability to have little trouble adjusting to tackle. 

Oh Dear God.        :facepalm:

Not sure there’s a word of truth in this.  Nothing for me to agree with.  

I think most coaches and players would tell you the opposite of what you wrote is true. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So did Pascal

Pascal has never been afraid of blocking and blocking well.  This may be his last season with us as we continue to upgrade at WR but he has definitely done the most with little natural talent through hard work and willingness to do whatever he can.

If Quinton can eventually make the conversion to a high level LT, it would be a complete game changer for the franchise. 

Yes, we’d have to go out and get a high caliber LG to replace Nelson, but those guys are not as hard to find.  

I don’t think we will find out for another year or two,  I think AC continues his career.  But it would be a tremendous boost to the program.  It’s not a slam dunk, not by any means.  But it’s exciting to even think about!    :thmup:

12 hours ago, StatesmanN said:

I was more concerned about creating 2 holes vs 1 , but it’s a different technique from tackle to guard. So I was concerned but Nelson has very quick feet for a guard 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh Dear God.        :facepalm:

Not sure there’s a word of truth in this.  Nothing for me to agree with.  

I think most coaches and players would tell you the opposite of what you wrote is true. 

I take it you haven't played any sports, especially sports at a high level, in your life if you honestly think that.

I have,

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Pascal has never been afraid of blocking and blocking well.  This may be his last season with us as we continue to upgrade at WR but he has definitely done the most with little natural talent through hard work and willingness to do whatever he can.

I have a feeling they bring Pascal back unless he just gets a shocking offer.  It’s unclear if they will bring TY back and you know you can’t count on Campbell.  So they need another guy to go with Pittman and Pascal does a lot of dirty work that doesn’t get attention like that block.  He’s also not bad at WR.  I think it was Bowman who put up Pascal’s numbers during the game and it showed that he’s had the best chemistry with Rivers all year.  

1 hour ago, StatesmanN said:

I take it you haven't played any sports, especially sports at a high level, in your life if you honestly think that.

I have,

Not only have I played sports but I’ve covered sports professionally as a member of the media for 30 years at a high level. 

Here in Los Angeles, I covered both the Rams and the Raiders.   I also covered USC and UCLA.

Maybe you’re not aware of what you wrote?   

“Blocking is blocking is blocking.”   False. 

The Left Tackle is - by far - the hardest position to play well.  That player typically faces the other teams best pass rusher.  That position typically requires the longest arms, lightest feet, and is often the tallest. 

A right tackle often doesn’t have the light feet or the long arms to play the left side.  

Guards are typically a little shorter, a little heavier, are not required to have arms as long as tackles but are better suited for the combat of the trenches.  

Center is typically the smartest of the OL.  Sometimes as smart as the QB and sometimes the smartest on the entire team.  Has to be able to read the defensive fronts and sometimes change blocking schemes on the fly in real time. 

Lineman on the left side of the center have their left foot further back.  Lineman on the right side have their right foot back.  There was just a post last week where a former NFL O-lineman says most fans think it’s not a big deal for lineman to flip sides.   He said the fans don’t understand reversing all your footwork is a problem for many lineman.   Sounds like you’re completely unaware of that?

There's obviously more at play, but there’s no need to write an encyclopedia. 

Saying OL play is just about moving your feet is practically saying any tall person is good at basketball because they’re tall.   There’s so much more that goes to the reality.  

I don’t know what level you played at, and frankly I don’t care.   You haven’t demonstrated a knowledge or understanding of a topic you claim to know.   Sorry. 

Archived