Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Door is closed

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Irsay says door is closed in Luck returning(as if anyone still believed there was any chance of that)

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-on-andrew-luck-return-i-think-that-door-s-closed

Where is Luck ?

Strange that there have been no sightings like eating at a restaurant, shopping, or playing at a charity golf tournament. 

He just went off the grid

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Where is Luck ?

Strange that there have been no sightings like eating at a restaurant, shopping, or playing at a charity golf tournament. 

He appeared in the Colts Jacoby video yesterday for the Walter Payton MoY deal.

• Like 2

The more time passes, the more I do hope he stays retired. It would bring up so many conflicting emotions if he decided to play again. I would be worried about his next injury that would inevitably happen. :Cry:

Anyway, glad Irsay isn’t delusional about the situation.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Where is Luck ?

Probably the best move he made. He never did seem to like the spotlight that came with the job 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Yet still, I am saddened by the news, as in the back of my mind I had secretly been holding out hope for a triumphant return, with Rivers being a one year placeholder. 

Same here.  He did a lot of good and made some incredible plays.  That’s how I’ll remember him.  I would like to see him speak out about it all some day though.  

I need closure.  Lol. 

• Like 3

What?!...wait a minute! When did this discussion come up about Luck?

Granted, I don’t live in Indiana but does he want to return? 

I read where he is happy with retirement and spending time with his daughter, Lucy.

Time heals wounds...if he feels like he can make a return to the NFL then, cool!

To say the door is closed for Luck returning to the Colts is completely stupid.

But then again, it will probably take longer to heal the wounds Luck caused during his meeting with Ersay and others...and us fans!

So, IF he does return it could be the biggest mistake of his life OR, the second greatest story ever told.

But dang, I just read where Ersay paid our current QB $25 million for one year?! For one year?!...Does the fine print on the contract say that if he does not win the Super Bowl that he only gets minimum wage?

Mr Luck, enjoy life and stay out of the stupidity.

Go Colts

• Confused 1

I remember when Luck retired, his press conference pre-empted a scheduled preseason game between the Chargers & Seahawks on NFL Network.  I recall he stated that he was frustrated with the continuing cycle of injuries & rehab, it seemed to drain his love for the game. Since then we haven’t heard a peep out of him about missing it at all, he seems to be loving the time spent with his family as I would imagine that constant rehabilitation was not only time consuming, but took away from that and his general mood when he was around.

I doubt he ever comes back to play, it would make his having walked away (especially the inconvenient timing of it all) look pretty foolish, and insincere. If he ever gets the “itch” to be involved in the game again, he’ll probably be able to “scratch” it in the coaching ranks at some level.

Never thought he was coming back but always thought by the way Ballard acted and sounded at his retirement presser even if Luck did want to comeback Ballard wasn’t going to welcome him back.  He quit on the team in his mind (for valid reasons) and what would stop him from doing it again?  As far as Ballard was concerned the team has moved on.  The only wildcard was maybe Irsay and while an owner can always change his mind it seems Irsay has said it’s not happening.  I hope, but doubt, this will put this topic to bed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

What?!...wait a minute! When did this discussion come up about Luck?

Granted, I don’t live in Indiana but does he want to return? 

I read where he is happy with retirement and spending time with his daughter, Lucy.

Time heals wounds...if he feels like he can make a return to the NFL then, cool!

To say the door is closed for Luck returning to the Colts is completely stupid.

But then again, it will probably take longer to heal the wounds Luck caused during his meeting with Ersay and others...and us fans!

So, IF he does return it could be the biggest mistake of his life OR, the second greatest story ever told.

But dang, I just read where Ersay paid our current QB $25 million for one year?! For one year?!...Does the fine print on the contract say that if he does not win the Super Bowl that he only gets minimum wage?

Mr Luck, enjoy life and stay out of the stupidity.

Go Colts

Psst..

It's Irsay at not Ersay

• Thanks 1

The door is closed until it isn't.  If Andrew called Irsay and said he wanted to play again and make a comeback Irsay would sign him in a heartbeat.  Imagine what that would do for the team.  Huge increase in season ticket sales, national prominence and a multitude of prime time games in his first year back plus we would be one of the SB favorites out of the gate.  The market value of the team would increase over night.  No one is expecting it to happen but the door is left unlocked.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just why would Luck want to come back?

He said he lost his love for the game. 

That is pretty much all that is needed to be said. 

Oh darn, he said that? Was that during his retirement speech?

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The door is closed until it isn't.  If Andrew called Irsay and said he wanted to play again and make a comeback Irsay would sign him in a heartbeat.  Imagine what that would do for the team.  Huge increase in season ticket sales, national prominence and a multitude of prime time games in his first year back plus we would be one of the SB favorites out of the gate.  The market value of the team would increase over night.  No one is expecting it to happen but the door is left unlocked.  

He wouldn’t have to sign him... luck could decide he wanted to come back 10 years from now and the Colts would already own his rights due to his previous contract. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hmm. If you owned a team and wanted to recruit your star player back, would you tell the whole world the door is closed?  Would that make the star want to approach you about coming back if he was having second thoughts? 

What does it say about your organization if someone can leave and cause so much devastation, and then waltz back in simply because he had a change of heart?

Andrew Luck’s actions may have been personally justified, but his sudden retirement was absolutely devastating to the Colts, and if he tried to come back it would make his original decision look incredibly irresponsible. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He wouldn’t have to sign him... luck could decide he wanted to come back 10 years from now and the Colts would already own his rights due to his previous contract. 

Well folks I know it's hard to believe but the Lions have finally made the SB... Whats this Oh my God its Luck and he looks *...

dudley boyz series GIF

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

You want someone back who has such little integrity that he completely bails on his teammates 2 weeks before the season starts?  He should be blacklisted from all NFL locker rooms for life like Bobby Petrino is.

He made a decision for himself and his family. I respect him for it! Most people frown upon what Luck did but football is just a game. 

His family and life are far more important!

• Thanks 2

Not really surprising.  Luck seems like a pretty cerebral guy and this wasn’t a decision made on a whim.

Truth be told, Luck never really had the same need, love for football that we see in guys like Manning, Rivers, Brady or Jerry Rice and that’s perfectly fine.  Kudos to him for making the best decision for his long term well being and health.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Let's make this happen next year for the Colture. 

I’ll probably take crap for this scenario... and I don’t care because if there’s one thing I don’t like, it’s ambiguity.

But if I were Irsay and Ballard I would shop his contract rights to San Francisco.

The price? 

A 2nd round pick in the 2021 draft whether he comes out of retirement or not.

And IF the 49ers can in fact coax him out of retirement before he turns 34 (2023).... then two 1st round picks are ADDED to the deal.

This gives Luck (and his wife) the option of a familiar landing spot and especially suits the 49ers... who are in a QB quandary of their own.

And we, in turn get draft capital to address our QB situation with.

Dontcha just love happy endings?!!

915D56BB-8F48-4BF4-9752-7F1A22E05EFF.thumb.jpeg.b1dbd6b3ec977fdaaad8499a24b05f5a.jpeg

23 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I’ll probably take crap for this scenario... and I don’t care because if there’s one thing I don’t like, it’s ambiguity.

But if I were Irsay and Ballard I would shop his contract rights to San Francisco.

The price? 

And IF the 49ers can in fact coax him out of retirement before he turns 34 (2023).... then two 1st round picks are ADDED to the deal.

This gives Luck (and his wife) the option of a familiar landing spot and especially suits the 49ers... who are in a QB quandary of their own.

915D56BB-8F48-4BF4-9752-7F1A22E05EFF.thumb.jpeg.b1dbd6b3ec977fdaaad8499a24b05f5a.jpeg

Only one problem with that, rules forbid him from being traded while on the retired list.

• Like 1

Even though I know there’s very little chance he’s returning, I can’t help but think, from time to time, how good this team would be with him.

For those who still hold a grudge, direct your anger towards Grigson who offered him no protection. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I remember when Luck retired, his press conference pre-empted a scheduled preseason game between the Chargers & Seahawks on NFL Network.  I recall he stated that he was frustrated with the continuing cycle of injuries & rehab, it seemed to drain his love for the game. Since then we haven’t heard a peep out of him about missing it at all, he seems to be loving the time spent with his family as I would imagine that constant rehabilitation was not only time consuming, but took away from that and his general mood when he was around.

I doubt he ever comes back to play, it would make his having walked away (especially the inconvenient timing of it all) look pretty foolish, and insincere. If he ever gets the “itch” to be involved in the game again, he’ll probably be able to “scratch” it in the coaching ranks at some level.

Were you concerned that the Chargers drafted Herbert? Many scouts and people in college football thought he was a similar person to Luck -- highly intelligent, had many interests outside of football, etc. Some thought that Luck's sudden retirement after 7 or so years would affect Herbert's draft stock. Enough time passed that by Draft Day, no one was comparing him to Luck anymore. 

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Only one problem with that, rules forbid him from being traded while on the retired list.

Yeah, you’re right.... it would have to be orchestrated simultaneous to him coming out of retirement.

I’d still prefer this over his return to the Colts though.... I just think a fresh start is best at this point if he ever wants to play again.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

The price? 

I would take a chance. I'd give up a #2 for the prospect of having Luck as my QB. But our GM would talk to Luck first to see if there is a chance. I don't think Luck is coming back. He has a lot more in his life than football. Some players retire and ask "What now?" He was never asking that. He has a full life. 

• Like 1