Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mount Rushmore

danlhart87

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Fans are so fickle. I recall one thread where the fans were saying how great a guy Ebron was. They said he was a classy guy. (I think he probably still is.) Fans hate him now?

He certainly is not on the Colts' Mt Rushmore but he did play very well  for at least one year when he was here. 

Anyway, how about John Mackey for Mt. Rushmore? 

Who is more likely to make the Hall, Mathis or Freeney? I always thought of Freeney as one but folks here disagree. 

Freeney will IMO but both should be in.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Fans are so fickle. I recall one thread where the fans were saying how great a guy Ebron was. They said he was a classy guy. (I think he probably still is.) Fans hate him now?

He certainly is not on the Colts' Mt Rushmore but he did play very well  for at least one year when he was here. 

Anyway, how about John Mackey for Mt. Rushmore? 

Who is more likely to make the Hall, Mathis or Freeney? I always thought of Freeney as one but folks here disagree. 

Yup, not Rushmore guy, but does own a Colts season record. Fans are indeed fickle. I don't know if it's really fickleness, or just a failure to recognize the NFL is a business, and all players are independent contractors. The guy stepped up and balled out in 2018 when we had injuries (Doyle) and struggled in a few areas.

He was shelved a bit in a contract year (2019) for a healthy Doyle, and because Brissett needed more blocking (high time to throw) and just struggled throwing long and to the seam. I don't blame him a bit for taking care of his body when the writing was on the wall for him.

Never liked his drop problems though, but the other stuff never bothered me. He's having arguably his second best season ever with Pitt this year. IMO, he would have played very well with Rivers.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Luck was better, no? Luck is definitely better than Harbaugh. 

He was without question but Harbaugh was the QB for maybe the most magical season in team history so he will always have a special place to Colts fans.  Morrall was the original Steve Young in that he was stuck behind Johnny U like Young was stuck behind Montana but he did win a MVP award and helped QB the team to both Super Bowls when they were in Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He was without question but Harbaugh was the QB for maybe the most magical season in team history so he will always have a special place to Colts fans.  Morrall was the original Steve Young in that he was stuck behind Johnny U like Young was stuck behind Montana but he did win a MVP award and helped QB the team to both Super Bowls when they were in Baltimore.

Thanks. I love the history of sports. I have heard a lot about Morrall. When I used to listen to sports radio in NY, his name came up a lot. Was he the QB when the Jets won? (That Super  Bowl was played before I was born.) 

You seem well informed about Colts history. Why do so many Colts fans hold Bert Jones in higher esteem than they do other Colts QBs. Just wondering. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Luck was better, no? Luck is definitely better than Harbaugh. 

IMO, Harbaugh arguably did more for the team. His 95 season was easily the best for the Colts since the team moved. IMO, it was the year fans really got their mojo back (since the move).

Luck is no doubt more skilled. The one thing that has always soured me on Luck is his playoff performances. More INTs than TDs.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There would have been no perfect season for the Dolphins had it not been for Morrall. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I love the history of sports. I have heard a lot about Morrall. When I used to listen to sports radio in NY, his name came up a lot. Was he the QB when the Jets won? (That Super  Bowl was played before I was born.) 

You seem well informed about Colts history. Why do so many Colts fans hold Bert Jones in higher esteem than they do other Colts QBs. Just wondering. Thanks.

See Andrew Luck regarding Bert Jones lol.  They had similar careers.  Beat to heck because of lack of talent around them.

Morrall was the backup but came in for an injured Johnny U the season of Super Bowl III and won several games.  He started the Super Bowl but didn’t do well clearly.  He got revenge though when Johnny u got hurt in Super Bowl V and came off the bench to win that Super Bowl.  He went on to be the backup QB in Miami and did the samething for their perfect season.  When Griese suffered an injury that season Morrall started several games on their way to a perfect year.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Luck is no doubt more skilled. The one thing that has always soured me on Luck is his playoff performances. More INTs than TDs.

I think I don't have as much of a problem with INTs as others do. I would rather have a guy like Luck who tries to make a play and risks throwing INTs over someone who is protecting against making a mistake. He tried to make plays. He did not have great talent or protection. I will take a gunslinger over someone who is gunshy like 2016 version of Sam Bradford.   

I think Colts fans are too critical of Luck. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, Harbaugh arguably did more for the team. His 95 season was easily the best for the Colts since the team moved. IMO, it was the year fans really got their mojo back (since the move).

There is a very strong argument to be made for this.  The golden era of Colts football and the Colts becoming a thing in Indianapolis really started with the playoff runs in 95 and 96 by Harbaugh and the Colts.  They set the table for what was to come for Manning in terms of the Colts relevance in Indianapolis.  Manning used to like to say when he got here it was IU basketball, the Pacers, and then in distant third the Colts.  Harbaugh at least got the Colts in the conversation for Manning to make them the most popular sport in Indianapolis. 

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He went on to be the backup QB in Miami and did the samething of their perfect season.  When Griese suffered an injury that season Morrall started several games on their way to a perfect year.

Yes. That I knew. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. There was a long thread about just that one year. I learned then that the Seahawks actually pay Texas A & M to use "The 12th Man". 

Yup. IMO, pretty pitiful of TAMU. I've enjoyed every crushing defeat they experience since....  

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I think I don't have as much of a problem with INTs as others do. I would rather have a guy like Luck who tries to make a play and risks throwing INTs over someone who is protecting against making a mistake. He tried to make plays. He did not have great talent or protection. I will take a gunslinger over someone who is gunshy like 2016 version of Sam Bradford.   

I think Colts fans are too critical of Luck. 

Luck didn't have bad support his entire career. Some years better than others. People like to play up the OL woes. There's substance to some of that, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of folks make it out to be. His career sack rate was 5%, which is pretty average. And he brought on some of that to be honest. As far an INTs go, it's not just about that. He just didn't perform well in big moments. I also just didn't see the fire in him I saw in a lot of other guys.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is a very strong argument to be made for this.  The golden era of Colts football and the Colts becoming a thing in Indianapolis really started with the playoff runs in 95 and 96 by Harbaugh and the Colts.  They set the table for what was to come for Manning in terms of the Colts relevance in Indianapolis.  Manning used to like to say when he got here it was IU basketball, the Pacers, and then in distant third the Colts.  Harbaugh at least got the Colts in the conversation for Manning to make them the most popular sport in Indianapolis. 

Yup. I remember those days well. I was always a big Colts fan, but the entire city and state just took it up several notches. I remember the office I worked in at the time. We had Colts spirit days every Friday, and downtown was so full of blue. Before Jim, not so much. And while I hate him as a Wolverine (player and coach), I love the guy as a Colts QB. Guy had heart and fire.

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

December 31st, 1995 – The Chargers were defending AFC Champions but started the season off poorly, with a record of 4-7 after 11 games. They won their remaining 5 to capture a Wild Card berth when Jim Harbaugh & his Colts came to Qualcomm Stadium, and ruined our New Year’s Eve by eliminating us!

5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

December 31st, 1995 – The Chargers were defending AFC Champions but started the season off poorly, with a record of 4-7 after 11 games. They won their remaining 5 to capture a Wild Card berth when Jim Harbaugh & his Colts came to Qualcomm Stadium, and ruined our New Year’s Eve by eliminating us!

Colts D really played well that game. I just remember all the INTs we got, and Crockett having a day.

Mount Rushmore

QB Johnny Unitas - 1956-1972 - 2,830/5,186 (54.6%) for 40,239 yards, 290 TD's and 253 INT's, three championships 1958,1959,1970

QB Peyton Manning - 1998-2011 - 6,125/9/380 (65.3%) for 71,940 yards, 539 TD's and 251 INT's, two championships 2006, 2013

TE John Mackey - 1963-1971 - 331 rec for 5,236 yards and 38 TD's, one championship 1970

WR Marvin Harrison - 1996-2008 - 1,102 rec for 14,580 yards and 128 TD's, one championship 2006

The Next Level

WR Raymond Berry - 1955-1967 two championships 1958,1959

DT Art Donovan - 1953-1961 two championships 1958,1959

DE Gino Marchetti - 1953-1964,1966 two championships 1958,1959

OL Jim Parker - 1957-1967 two championships 1958,1959

WR Reggie Wayne - 2001-2014 one championship 2006

DE Dwight Freeney - 2002-2012 one championship 2006

RB Lenny Moore - 1956-1967 two championships 1958,1959

DE Robert Mathis - 2003-2016 one championship 2006

RB Edgerrin James - 1999-2005 no championships

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Mount Rushmore

QB Johnny Unitas - 1956-1972 - 2,830/5,186 (54.6%) for 40,239 yards, 290 TD's and 253 INT's, three championships 1958,1959,1970

QB Peyton Manning - 1998-2011 - 6,125/9/380 (65.3%) for 71,940 yards, 539 TD's and 251 INT's, two championships 2006, 2013

TE John Mackey - 1963-1971 - 331 rec for 5,236 yards and 38 TD's, one championship 1970

WR Marvin Harrison - 1996-2008 - 1,102 rec for 14,580 yards and 128 TD's, one championship 2006

The Next Level

WR Raymond Berry - 1955-1967 two championships 1958,1959

DT Art Donovan - 1953-1961 two championships 1958,1959

DE Gino Marchetti - 1953-1964,1966 two championships 1958,1959

OL Jim Parker - 1957-1967 two championships 1958,1959

RB Lenny Moore - 1956-1967 two championships 1958,1959

I really only look at as post move to Indy..

So mine is

Mount Rushmore

Dungy - since I love the guy, and can't decide from the below.

The Next Level

S Bob Sanders

RB Dickerson

QB Jimmy

TE Clark

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Dungy - since I love the guy, and can't decide from the below.

I do too! He was the Vikings Defensive Coordinator before he was hired by the Bucs. He is under-appreciated. I love Dungy and was so pleased to see him win a Super Bowl. :D

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, a trip down memory lane. :hat:

Great stuff, huh? :)

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I do too! He was the Vikings Defensive Coordinator before he was hired by the Bucs. He is under-appreciated. I love Dungy and was so pleased to see him win a Super Bowl. :D

Great coach, and great person. If he ever returned, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. 

He made a little news lately down south, and made me appreciate him even more.

20 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Peyton. Marv. Johnny U. Edge.  Just Indy you replace Unitas with Sanders. Freeney. Wayne. Mathis. Or Saturday. In that order. Go back and check Edge’s impact. Dude was a star from day 1. Easily the best running back in Colts history. Deserves just as much love as 18 & 88.  Ask either and I bet they’ll say the same. 

Lenny Moore was on the All NFL 50th Anniversay Team with Unitas, yet no one in Indy ever lists him!!!

Regarding the discussion earlier, my Colts Mt Rushmore of QB's would be:

Peyton Manning

Johnny Unitas

Andrew Luck easily makes it

Bert Jones

Earl Morrall gave away SB 3, sorry can't put him on the list. I would take Luck or Jones over him anyday. Yeah it was only 1 game but it was a critical SB game and changed history. Colts had no business losing to the Jets.

Jim Harbaugh had the magical season in 1995 so he is definitely honorable mention here. The 1995 season is my 2nd favorite season of all-time only behind 2006. 2006 is #1 because we won the SB and beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I put Luck's 2012 season 3rd going 11-5 after the team finished 2-14 the year before. The comebacks Luck had that year were unreal.

Some people forget how great Luck was at times, he had 1 game where he had a RB go over 100 yards from 2012-2014 and he still won 11 games in those years. He also came up big in the playoffs at Denver vs Von Miller and Peyton as the opposing QB and won in the divisional round in 2014. He also had the 2nd greatest comeback ever vs KC in the 2013 playoffs after being down 38-10. Last but not least he made JJ Watt, Clowney, and their defense look like chumps in the 2018 playoffs at Houston. 

Archived