Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Thoughts

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I have to disagree here. Leonard isn't making mistakes. He's doing his job pretty well... the only difference this year compared to last is hes not forcing as many turn overs. As many sacks. As many tackles. 

Another point I must make, his first 2 years he and Kenny Moore were the only 2 playmakers on this defense. 

Now you have Buckner making plays. 

Blackmon. 

Okereke. 

Along side Kenny and Darius. 

Can he make all the plays when other guys get there first? 

I think your perspective is skewed and you fail to see how many more plays are being made by other guys. 

An honorable mention... Rhoades is also making plays. 

What say you to that? 

The Colts are also hardly blitzing at all unlike his first 2 years. 

Hes not superman and I think thats what you want. Youre acting like he has regressed when in fact the entire defense has progressed resulting in a lack of opportunity for Darius. 

I think he will get an extension. And it will be reasonable. 

This is a perfect post.

His first two years, Leonard was really the ONLY playmaker on a rebuilding defense.  Moore would flash sometimes, but Leonard was making plays week-in and week-out, because... well... nobody else was.

Now we have playmakers at every level of the defense, and they're making plays all over the field.  It's not all on Leonard anymore.  We have a TEAM defense, and when you have a good TEAM defense, you don't have one guy carrying the load and filling the stat sheet for a mediocre defense, you have everyone at every level contributing to a statistically GREAT defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me start by saying that I support Darius Leonard. I cant overlook his inconsistent play this year though.   The Colts D in general needs to be more consistent and that starts with Leonar

I have to disagree here. Leonard isn't making mistakes. He's doing his job pretty well... the only difference this year compared to last is hes not forcing as many turn overs. As many sacks. As many t

What do you know, your typical appearance of the site. Trashing the team.   Seriously I'm not sure why you even "root" for the Colts. I use that term very, very loosely, as I don't think you

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've seen you post this kind of stuff before.  And I used to agree with you to a point.  As a Colts fan, I wanted/expected more success when we had Manning.

But I have to remind myself, and so I'm reminding you as well:  This is the NFL.  The league of Parity.  There is more parity in the NFL than any other professional sports league.  And that's what makes it so special.

An Aaron Rodgers-led Packers team can be in the NFCCG one year, and miss the playoffs the next.  A Tom Brady-less Pats team can beat a team 45-0 one week, and get beat 24-3 the next.  Teams can go from worst-to-first or vice-versa every year.  Entire divisions can go from being the best division in the league to the worst.  Just look at the NFC East this year.  The teams with the best records in the NFC East have the same record as the worst teams in the NFC West AND North.

I can look back at the Manning years with hindsight and perspective and realize that what the Colts accomplished during that time, with the amazing competition in the AFC at that time (the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, and Chargers were all contenders almost every year with multiple HoFers on each of those teams), and I can say that I'm satisfied with the success the Colts were able to achieve.  Besides the Pats and Steelers, the Colts were the MOST successful team of that era, and let's be honest, the Pats success is unprecedented, involved cheating, and will go unmatched for all time outside of my Madden Colts Franchise haha.

"Weak results" is an absolute insult to everyone that was part of that success, and you should be ashamed to have that opinion.  :scorebad:

2003-2010 we were as dominant as it gets = 99-29, winning a SB in 2006 and making another in 2009. You hit it on the head regarding the Pats and Steelers in that 8 season time frame, they both had all-around better teams in many of those years. Pats won the conference in 2003, 2004, and 2007. Steelers won the conference in 2005, 2008, and 2010. We were the only other team to win the conference in that 8 season span = 2006 and 2009. I am happy we at least won a SB as great as the AFC was. The Ravens and Chargers had some beastly teams too during that time frame.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I haven't posted yet on this particular thread and just saw your post, but yes, there is unsatisfied fandom when you have 20 years of combined Manning and Luck and only win one SB. Some people are still ticked off and take it out in other ways. I don't personally blame them. Manning goes to the Broncos and basically accomplishes what he accomplishes here in 14 years in 4 years on the Broncos. Then Luck retires and we are depending on one-year stopgaps such as Rivers with an unknown future.

Literally the only great thing about this team is Ballard, and unless we get a franchise QB, all the work he did the last 4 years will be useless because of Luck. If you were a fan since 98 like me, then the team has underperformed and has gotten weak results based on the quality of Manning and Luck as QBs. No two ways about it.

I edited those common your inclusive comments to make them your own, because you quoted me and I definitely do not feel as you do. To answer your question of "if you were a fan since 98"......I have been a fan for 5 decades, and have seen so much more in the way of fans going up and down over time, that we likely won't be able to relate to each other. Let's just leave it there. 

Sorry, but the parts of your quote that I italicized..... are flat out opinion, and have nothing to do with reality for a great many of us. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I just hope he’s alright, I heard they think he may have had a back injury.

Reich said after the game neither him or Rhodes were ruled out of the game officially.  That’s probably good news.  The score and time kinda held them out I think.  I noticed after that position Frank pulled most of the starters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/11/2020 at 8:29 PM, danlhart87 said:

I fear he will want to be one of the highest paid LBs and I wouldn't do the deal.

I think you are correct that he will want Top LB contract. 

Just recently, as I'm  sure you know, Rogers said some other LB was the Best in league. Leonard showed his displeasure of Rogers statement publicly and the two of them chatted about in previous game warmups. 

But that's not for couple more seasons and I don't really care about the money a player makes. It's not my money and our D is better with him than without, even if he's not playing at rookie season level.

My thoughts on Leonard are this...

I want him on the field on every defensive snap. I don’t care too much what we have to pay him for that. The infectious energy and leadership he brings is irreplaceable with some rando veteran FA. Also, he may not be THE BEST but he’s not a guy whose skills are in wide abundance around the league. He’s certainly above average, at the very least

Also, what kind of message do you send to your guys if you let their D leader, team captain, and best LB walk because he maybe isn’t as good as everyone may think? That sows discourse, which leads to anger, demanding trades, not wanting to play for Indy, etc etc.

Not a road we want to go down, especially with the amazing culture this team has now.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

My thoughts on Leonard are this...

I want him on the field on every defensive snap. I don’t care too much what we have to pay him for that. The infectious energy and leadership he brings is irreplaceable with some rando veteran FA. Also, he may not be THE BEST but he’s not a guy whose skills are in wide abundance around the league. He’s certainly above average, at the very least

Also, what kind of message do you send to your guys if you let their D leader, team captain, and best LB walk because he maybe isn’t as good as everyone may think? That sows discourse, which leads to anger, demanding trades, not wanting to play for Indy, etc etc.

Not a road we want to go down, especially with the amazing culture this team has now.

You don’t let players like Leonard leave.  It’s really that simple.  

• Like 3

Leonard is a stud. I would say his play has only appeared to dip a tad, because he's been playing spy a lot underneath. 

My only real knock on him is that he doesn't care who the player is when he comes in so hard on tackles. Opposing player, or team mate, he's blasting whoever it is. He took out Rhodes yesterday, and has done it to him and others before. 

If that's his only real "issue", then he's doing just fine. 

It's funny how we win and most of the comments just want to talk positive things, I agree with you on the topic.

Is he a solid starter for almost every team on this league? Yes.

Is he good as he think he is? No.

If he ask's for 18-20mm/year, pretty sure Ballard let's him walk, he's not Nelson or Buckner, and that's a fact either you like it or not.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reich said after the game neither him or Rhodes were ruled out of the game officially.  That’s probably good news.  The score and time kinda held them out I think.  I noticed after that position Frank pulled most of the starters.

I'm hoping that the score is the reason they stayed out, because losing Leonard and Rhodes would be a big blow to our playoff push.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:23 PM, danlhart87 said:

Let me start by saying that I support Darius Leonard. I cant overlook his inconsistent play this year though.

The Colts D in general needs to be more consistent and that starts with Leonard. 

I love that Leonard is the vocal leader but his play needs to back it up. 

If Leonard's inconsistent play continues til 22' I have no problem letting him walk. 

Wow clicked on this tread and wasn't what I thought it would be!! You are either joking, or a poor judge of talent!?!? Not sure which one!

14 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Wow clicked on this tread and wasn't what I thought it would be!! You are either joking, or a poor judge of talent!?!? Not sure which one!

I'll say it again! 

If Colts bring back DL it needs to be sooner than later. I don't feel comfortable giving him a 20m+ contract.

Thats not saying I don't want him but he certainly isn't worth Aaron Donald status. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was wrong

Kudos to you.

Like I've said, I respect when someone admits when they were wrong. 

And like I posted in the other thread, it isn't something that someone should call you out on or tag you.

It is something that should come from your own volition.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, w87r said:

Kudos to you.

Like I've said, I respect when someone admits when they were wrong. 

And like I posted in the other thread, it isn't something that someone should call you out on or tag you.

It is something that should come from your own volition.

Lol.....no worries. It doesnt bother me thst people want to call me our. Im Canadian, I was born with a tough skin. Plus, I am use to being told I am wrong on a daily basis. I am married and she tells me she is always right!!

• Haha 2