Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s been preaching letting Leonard leave since earlier this season.  It’s pretty clear he doesn’t value him the way most others do.  Thank goodness Ballard appears to value Leonard the way he should be.

Yeah I've seen him, makes zero sense.

"I don't want to give up a 1st and 2nd for Stafford, but how about Leonard and a 2nd"

Great idea......

james corden GIF by E!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to have both but honestly at the end of the day who would you rather have a possible franchise QB or a LB  and yes i know how valuable Leonard is but that kind of hat backwards thinking isn't getting us anywhere. 

If Ballard has the chance to get a franchise guy without sacrificing one of his key pieces then I fully support the issue.

BUT

If this becomes an issue of player like Leonard being added and he refuses ill remember all of you are happy with Trubisky Fitz or Winston at QB as long as Leonard is here.

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Stop the Leonard talk too. 

Who are you drafting at 21 that comes in and does what Leonard does? Nobody.

Yes at 21 they would draft a LB. No they would obviously draft LT

Is any body else wondering how Detroit is handling this trade.  Do you think they would actually tell the other teams what offers they have received and what they are to try and drive the price up or would they just field offers and try to counter them?  What would you do?  Something tells me their is no code of conduct here. 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would love to have both but honestly at the end of the day who would you rather have a possible franchise QB or a LB  and yes i know how valuable Leonard is but that kind of hat backwards thinking isn't getting us anywhere. 

If Ballard has the chance to get a franchise guy without sacrificing one of his key pieces then I fully support the issue.

BUT

If this becomes an issue of player like Leonard being added and he refuses ill remember all of you are happy with Trubisky Fitz or Winston at QB as long as Leonard is here.

Yes at 21 they would draft a LB. No they would obviously draft LT

Yeah I don’t think the idea of trading Leonard is nearly as real as you are presenting it to be.  I also don’t think they aren’t going to be able to get a good QB because they want to keep Leonard.  Ballard clearly has a plan so let’s let him work it.  I am sure it will end with a good QB.  In the end it might cost more draft capitol that some like but that’s probably what it’s going to be.  

Saw this on reddit. If SF doesn’t want to part with the 12th pick colts might get him.

[Sacco] Here’s what I’ve heard throughout the day on #49ers & Stafford: Do with it what you will. Trade discussions are “looking positive.” SF would like to keep the 12th overall pick. I don’t know if a future one would be part of the compensation, but they’d like to keep this years.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So is the source in this story the lions trying to drive the price up.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/source-49ers-have-the-inside-edge-to-trade-for-matthew-stafford

I think it's a hometown writer trying to push his team.  To me Ballard is on the hot seat here.  We need a QB and Stafford wants to come here.  If he doesn't get him he will have one disappointed owner, coach, fan base and players.  Know matter what plan B is plan A is better and needs to get done. I think falling short on getting Stafford will really put a dent in his reputation and I think he knows it.  That's why I believe he will make this happen.  

20 minutes ago, colts89 said:

If the 49ers get Stafford, wouldn't they have to eat Garapollos contract as well? Seems like it would be a pretty desperate move on their end.

They can release Garoppolo and save $23.4m cap space.

He only has $2.8m dead cap hit.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really haven't kept up with why SF doesn't like Jimmy G anymore. All he does is win and just took them to the SB in 2019. Why wouldn't they just keep him?

IMO, he was very meh, and very meh in a very conservative O... IMO, their D took them to a SB, not Jimmy.

That is fair enough but it seemed like he still made plays in crunch time or a big/key play here and there to win games. Kind of like Tannehill has with Tennessee.

IDK. I like Tannehill a lot better than JG.

Had JG been legit good, they would have won that SB.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will cry if SF gets Stafford.SF can offer Jimmy G as a bridge to the young QB they draft. That could be a good incentive for a trade. We are screwed if we don’t get him. Or Jimmy G will be traded to another team. If we end up with him that would do deflating. 

Where did you see or hear that?

FWIW: 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Before giving up Leonard I would trade our 21st, this years 3rd and next years 3rd for Stafford.

I think Ballard considers the Maniac to be untouchable tradewise

On the other hand, I suspect he regards Okereke somewhat differently

30 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

looks like Goff (& his insane contract) may now be in play too

IMO: no thanks, but maybe Ballard/Reich have a different opinion

Nope.... 

He's not bad, he just needs a lot around him to be successful. 

And his contract is ugly.... the dead cap is mighty hurtful... 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is interesting and why a extension would be good.

That would be a bit of a gamble. Probably a safe one. I like the extension, but not really fond of creating a bad dead cap situation in the future. On the other hand, might be worth it depending on where they project the cap to be over the next five years.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nope.... 

He's not bad, he just needs a lot around him to be successful. 

And his contract is ugly.... the dead cap is mighty hurtful... 

he needs Sean McVay to be successful, because Sean McVay is a genius

I know he is, because ESPN told me so :banana:

Goff would be interesting if Stafford fell through. That contract would have to be torn up. He is very young still so you could have him for ten years.  Not sure why the rams said what they did. He had thumb surgery and came  back to play like a week or two later so he wasn’t 100%. What kind of run game do the rams have. Goff has been to a SB too.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Goff would be interesting if Stafford fell through. That contract would have to be torn up. He is very young still so you could have him for ten years.  Not sure why the rams said what they did. He had thumb surgery and came  back to play like a week or two later so he wasn’t 100%. What kind of run game do the rams have. Goff has been to a SB too.

I don't want a QB just because he went to a SB.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That all may be true, but say it is and Sean McVay is still willing to consider a undrafted QB that made his first start this year in the playoffs, or I may be wrong and it was week 16/17, then don’t you have to head that warning? Especially with the contract the team just gave him. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can't go poof to a contract like that.... Dead cap is dead cap. 

Yeah I agree, I know Stafford hasn't won anything big and Goff has won an NFC Title but by my test, Stafford is better. Just Marino was better than lets say Big Ben who was great at one time and won 2 SB's.

if CB misses out on Stafford, I'm not sure how picky the Colts can realistically be going forward

I'm starting to have strange, disturbing visions of Nick Foles in a Colts uniform.........

21 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

he needs Sean McVay to be successful, because Sean McVay is a genius

I know he is, because ESPN told me so :banana:

IMO, he's over rated, and got a contract way above his ceiling. I called it when it happened, and now looks to be coming to fruition. QB contracts of today remind me of the old RB contracts that were crazy high. Teams learned finally that backing up the truck for a RB wasn't smart. Now teams are getting burnt on QB contracts.

I think it's one big reason Jerry and Dak have been dancing so long. Personally, if I were Jerry, I'd go for Stafford, Wilson, or Lance, and be done with the Dak days. Right now, only one QB is worth 40M/year, and that's Mahomes. When you let one position (1 of 22, which is 4.5% of your starters and 1.8% of your roster) become 20+% of your salary cap, he better be extremely special because that kind of money creates holes in many other places.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree, I know Stafford hasn't won anything big and Goff has won an NFC Title but by my test, Stafford is better. Just like Marino was better than lets say Big Ben who was great at one time and won 2 SB's.

Yea, Stafford IMO is clearly better than Goff. And Goff was surrounded by a lot a talent at times, while Stafford was on some very crumby teams.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Most of Goff’s contract is guaranteed.   $110 of $134 million is guaranteed.   So Goff is not tearing that deal up.   It’s money in the bank.

The two sides are having a public spat.  But they’ll get past this.  The Rams are now saying there will be competition in camp next season.   Good luck with that.

To be clear, I’m NOT a Goff fan.  Never have been.  But he’s got the leverage.  And he’s not giving that up. 

Archived