Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think the 1st is a goner.  He should lessen another pick though.  We could offer two 1sts and Campbell as part of the trade package and have them include Galloway as part of the trade.  He is scheduled to be a FA.  But again maybe we should concentrate on just getting Stafford and not muddy the waters.  

as much as I would love to see Stafford in a Colts uniform (or with any number of other well-run, talented teams instead of the Lions) there is no way I give up 2 first round picks for any QB (including Rodgers) other than Watson

which ain't happening....unless Houston's "management team" is even more clueless than I've imagined

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a whopper of a rumor. Anyone see the Albert Breer rumor that Jimmy G almost became a colt with the Buckner deal but Brady decided to go to Tampa. I guess if SF gets Stafford Jimmy G might end up here. LMAO. 

I would literally just as soon start Jacoby as go with Garoppolo

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

as much as I would love to see Stafford in a Colts uniform (or with any number of other well-run, talented teams instead of the Lions) there is no way I give up 2 first round picks for any QB (including Rodgers) other than Watson

which ain't happening....unless Houston's "management team" is even more clueless than I've imagined

I think SF and the Lions will work out a deal for MS. Colts will have to settle for another year with JB.Crying Baby GIF by memecandy

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a whopper of a rumor. Anyone see the Albert Breer rumor that Jimmy G almost became a colt with the Buckner deal but Brady decided to go to Tampa. I guess if SF gets Stafford Jimmy G might end up here. LMAO. 

Per someone in the know out there, Brady was ready to become a 9er, but Shanny Jr

took a pass. TB was Plan B.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think SF and the Lions will work out a deal for MS. Colts will have to settle for another year with JB.Crying Baby GIF by memecandy

given how much Stafford's wife apparently disliked the Covid restrictions in Michigan, I wonder how she'd feel about moving to California?

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

given how much Stafford's wife apparently disliked the Covid restrictions in Michigan, I wonder how she'd feel about moving to California?

Kelly would 100% feel most comfortable coming to Indiana, I have a feeling. But money talks. :) 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Demovsky is a well known Rodgers loyalist who didn't just not like the pick, he despised what it meant for Rodgers from the very start and no amount of new information would change his mind. Not that there has been any new information as you point out, besides some generic "he's doing good" off-hand comments. The reality is just like with Jacob Eason and the Colts, the only people that know where Love is in his development are within the Packers organization and even if he wasn't doing well, they have ZERO interest in that leaking... especially if they wanted to trade him. So... IMO this is just the next step of Demovsky's defense of Rodgers' status and spot on the Packers(not that he needs it, but...). 

Exactly...Demovsky is just defending his guy and defending his original argument that it was a terrible pick. And I wouldn't be surprised if Schneidman felt the same...and was a Rodgers loyalist as well. Their comments seem to parrot each other...and they coincidentally published their articles one day apart from each other. 

To be fair...I can understand why they are Rodgers loyalists. I can see the appeal...being favored by a QB legend...likely with better access than most (at least compared to other local writers). And being a local beat writer for an NFL team isn't an easy gig. You have to walk a tightrope of sorts...with how you cover the team and your own narratives. And to get national exposure...you might have to feed the national media narratives as well...which are often clickbait because that's what attracts average viewers.

I also get that Rodgers is a pretty easy football player to back (from a performance standpoint). I mean...until Mahomes showed up...Rodgers was the best all-around QB I had ever seen. 

On the flip side, I have probably been unfair to the Indy media. But their issues are different. They don't even seem to ask interesting questions most of the time. They don't have to be inflammatory to challenge Ballard and Reich...but they don't seem to be willing to even challenge their media darlings. Contrast to these GB writers directly questioning the GB organization because of their own narratives and loyalty to Rodgers.

Again...it's a tightrope...but Love seems to have been caught in the crossfire with the overall "scorned Rodgers" and "wasted pick" narratives. It was always going to be tough for any heir apparent in GB...but everybody knew who Love was...a toolsy prospect that needed a lot of time to develop. So what a couple of narrative-driven writers say after a handful of practices is not enough for me to buy that Love sucks so far.

And like we said...only GB knows where he is at in his development. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Kelly would 100% feel most comfortable coming to Indiana, I have a feeling. But money talks. :) 

FWFW I think she'd find the tax situation a bit more favorable in Indiana than in California

but it would be hard to blame Matt if he felt SF was his best shot at winning a Super Bowl--IMO Shanahan's not a great game manager, and their OL isn't as good as Indy's (especially at pass protection), but he'd have a great WR group to throw to, and he wouldn't have to deal with Mahomes in the playoffs

32 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

Staffords wife is pretty hot

Let's bring him to Indy just for that 

:spit:

17 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I wonder if Surratt might still be there at #54?

Surratt is one that I really like. The whole position switch thing worries me a bit though.

I love JOK and Moses though. Moses will be there later and he'd be my pick.

Georgia Bulldog with a Howitzer for an arm, that is Stafford. The next month, possibly month and a half is a sit back and wait speculation period for Colts fans. Thankfully, wild mock draft games will kick in soon!!! :) 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Surratt is one that I really like. The whole position switch thing worries me a bit though.

I love JOK and Moses though. Moses will be there later and he'd be my pick.

it's almost nauseating how many elite front 7 guys Saban can just roll out there year in and year out

he appears to take the same approach ib putting together a coaching staff...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Adam Schefter thinks the Stafford deal will move quickly and we will know his new team by the SB.

I believe the Stafford already are living in CALI.

It will be good to know by then

Ballard has to get something done 

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It will be good to know by then

Ballard has to get something done 

It might be out of his control if another team like the Niners want him. They have more assets. Like they were talking about on the cover two podcast even if the colts offered a extra first pick in 22 if they are picking late it might not be as valuable to a team as say another team. Ballard needs to be able to sweeten the pot.

32 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

it's almost nauseating how many elite front 7 guys Saban can just roll out there year in and year out

he appears to take the same approach ib putting together a coaching staff...

It's more nauseating that he gets a top 2 recruiting class just about every year. I think they've only been outside the top 2 once in the last decade, and that year they ranked 5th.... The talent they roll in is on par with the talent they roll out. Then add that they have x-head coaches, OCs, and DC holding clipboards as analysts lol... Just hired an x-NFL HC to be their OC... They simply do everything to win. Just far from the typical college football team.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It might be out of his control if another team like the Niners want him. They have more assets. Like they were talking about on the cover two podcast even if the colts offered a extra first pick in 22 if they are picking late it might not be as valuable to a team as say another team. Ballard needs to be able to sweeten the pot.

If they end up wanting too much just walk away and take a chance on someone in the draft

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Exactly...Demovsky is just defending his guy and defending his original argument that it was a terrible pick. And I wouldn't be surprised if Schneidman felt the same...and was a Rodgers loyalist as well. Their comments seem to parrot each other...and they coincidentally published their articles one day apart from each other. 

To be fair...I can understand why they are Rodgers loyalists. I can see the appeal...being favored by a QB legend...likely with better access than most (at least compared to other local writers). And being a local beat writer for an NFL team isn't an easy gig. You have to walk a tightrope of sorts...with how you cover the team and your own narratives. And to get national exposure...you might have to feed the national media narratives as well...which are often clickbait because that's what attracts average viewers.

I also get that Rodgers is a pretty easy football player to back (from a performance standpoint). I mean...until Mahomes showed up...Rodgers was the best all-around QB I had ever seen. 

On the flip side, I have probably been unfair to the Indy media. But their issues are different. They don't even seem to ask interesting questions most of the time. They don't have to be inflammatory to challenge Ballard and Reich...but they don't seem to be willing to even challenge their media darlings. Contrast to these GB writers directly questioning the GB organization because of their own narratives and loyalty to Rodgers.

Again...it's a tightrope...but Love seems to have been caught in the crossfire with the overall "scorned Rodgers" and "wasted pick" narratives. It was always going to be tough for any heir apparent in GB...but everybody knew who Love was...a toolsy prospect that needed a lot of time to develop. So what a couple of narrative-driven writers say after a handful of practices is not enough for me to buy that Love sucks so far.

And like we said...only GB knows where he is at in his development. 

Rodgers still is. Mahommes is electric but u take Hill away from that team and u will see a totally different offence. Teams respect Mahomes. Hill scares the crap out of them. He is the most explosive player ever in the NFL. Nobody ever like him

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If they end up wanting too much just walk away and take a chance on someone in the draft

It’s not that it could get to expensive but niners have a  higher pick and they could easily throw next years one in there too with the team they already have. This is where could the colts throw a guy like Okereke in there. 

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s not that it could get to expensive but niners have a  higher pick and they could easily throw next years one in there too with the team they already have. This is where could the colts throw a guy like Okereke in there. 

Here's the Lions team needs (farther below), so Oke would fit the bill. Given his performance and PFF though this year, not sure he'd be something that tilted the scale. If Carolina, Denver, Dallas, or San Fran wanted to be players, we'd have to make up a decent delta between draft picks. So for instance, if Detroit's asking price is a first, and next year's second,

San Fran's #12 is basically worth our #12 AND our #54 out of the gate. And we'd still have to give them next year's 2nd. Oke isn't worth a #54 IMO. Rock might perk their interests given CB is a primary need. It's a decent draft for CBs, so not sure he'd close the gap either. Also something to consider, Detroit's cap space is about zero. They'd save of course 20ish by letting Stafford go, but still won't be looking to spend big (so our rooks, on rook deals, might be attractive).

Primary - QB, WR, CB

Secondary - LB, IDL, OT, LB, IDL

Ancillary - WR, S, EDGE

No need - TE, RB

Here are the teams and draft pick that could be looking for a QB before us

8 Carolina

9 Denver

10 Dallas

11 NYG

12 San Fran

15 Pats

19 Wash

20 Chicago

Bears and Giants are in the negative on cap space, Panthers don't have a much (5.5). San Fran 9.3, but they'd save by cutting Jimmy.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Adam Schefter thinks the Stafford deal will move quickly and we will know his new team by the SB.

I believe the Stafford already are living in CALI.

Rap sheet said the same thing today.  He thinks it will happen quickly and I said I think we will know by Ballard's appearance on whatever show that he's on next Friday if not sooner.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Stafford had a 2nd home in CALI.  Having Dorsey there should help both sides reach a fair deal.  I think this will be an expensive acquisition but it needs to get done.  He's the difference maker we need at QB and everyone knows it.  I think we are now day to day not week to week.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

It all depends on what the plan is when it comes to Jacoby. If we plan on drafting a qb then Jacoby should definitely be back. If we plan on trading for Motown Matty then Jacoby should walk.

I'd rather have a guy like Fitz than JB if we were to draft. JB might be a role model when it comes to leadership, but he's far from a roll model/teacher/mentor when it comes to reading Ds, progressions, etc..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'd rather have a guy like Fitz than JB if we were to draft. JB might be a role model when it comes to leadership, but he's far from a roll model/teacher/mentor when it comes to reading Ds, progressions, etc..

to me it's pretty "either/or" in that Ballard either finds a QB who can get the Colts through their current Super Bowl window (Stafford, Prescott, Rodgers, etc) or he might as well try to sign Fitz and give Eason a year to prove he can be the eventual guy.

I just don't think realistically there's an "in-between" where the Colts can find a QB in this draft (especially beyond Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and maybe Lance) who can also get them through that Super Bowl window in the next year or two while this promising roster is mostly intact. At some point major guys (Nelson, Leonard, Taylor, etc) might start looking elsewhere and the window could close.

Ballard's really got his work cut out for himself in the coming days and weeks. If he can't pull something off, it starts to look like Luck's retirement may have set the franchise back even further than I thought.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is where could the colts throw a guy like Okereke in there.

That is very unlike Ballard. He said, "The locker room is watching". I don't think he wants his message to be, "I'll draft you, develop you, and then trade you". Polian might have done it. 

26 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

to me it's pretty "either/or" in that Ballard either finds a QB who can get the Colts through their current Super Bowl window (Stafford, Prescott, Rodgers, etc) or he might as well try to sign Fitz and give Eason a year to prove he can be the eventual guy.

I just don't think realistically there's an "in-between" where the Colts can find a QB in this draft (especially beyond Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and maybe Lance) who can also get them through that Super Bowl window in the next year or two while this promising roster is mostly intact. At some point major guys (Nelson, Leonard, Taylor, etc) might start looking elsewhere and the window could close.

Ballard's really got his work cut out for himself in the coming days and weeks. If he can't pull something off, it starts to look like Luck's retirement may have set the franchise back even further than I thought.

The only guys in the draft that would be realistically attainable, and worth a gamble on, are Lance and Wilson. If either were available at 12ish or later, I'd be tempted to go get (using our 1st and 2nd). Not interested in Fields at all. Doubt that happens, so I would default to my #2 preference which is find a good QB that has 5 years at least in the tank. And Stafford checks those boxes. So I'd be OK with a 1st this year and 2nd next for Stafford. 

I don't want to burn/waste a year at all, unless it's on a choice rook like Wilson or Lance. Just tired of wasting years if there's not a hard and fast plan. One has to think Irsay will get impatient if we don't solve for the QB situation this year. JB IMO will never happen because of that reason. 

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

That is very unlike Ballard. He said, "The locker room is watching". I don't think he wants his message to be, "I'll draft you, develop you, and then trade you". Polian might have done it. 

Meh. We need an upgrade anyway. Would the locker room be happier with Stafford and minus Oke? Would they be happier with keeping Oke, no Stafford, and we draft a mid round LB like Moses anyway who replaces Oke. And then Oke's trade value likely declines even more.

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Rodgers still is. Mahommes is electric but u take Hill away from that team and u will see a totally different offence. Teams respect Mahomes. Hill scares the crap out of them. He is the most explosive player ever in the NFL. Nobody ever like him

Randy Moss says hello!

Bob Hayes says hello!

James Lofton says hello!

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen believes the colts told rivers they were going in a different direction. He thinks for the colts to tell him that means they have confidence in getting someone in the draft or getting Stafford. He is connecting the dots with Dodd’s interviewing with the Lions. Also Rivers had his kids enrolled for school this coming fall in Indy. The fact he didn’t have  a presser also leads him to believe this is true. Rivers can’t go on camera and lie.  With as bad as the Luck retirement was they wanted to make sure he announced it on his own terms. You can hear Kevin talk about it on his podcast. If it’s true colt fans should be very happy because that means Ballard is very confident in what he has lined up.

Didn't Reich say he wanted Rivers back?

(I read that headline, but didn't hear the audio of those words).

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Rivers I wanna come back

Ballard and Irsay

get out of here saturday night live GIF by Dianna McDougall

OK, well I  hope Ballard considers my own favorite:

Johnny Football!

He could create multiple different directions.

One last post about Andrew, the fans miss you and you could be one of the best ever but you have to want it. Football is your passion, so get out of your funk brother and just get your normal 11-5 and take down Mahomes next year. We are all behind you but you have to want to do it. I hope you read this.

• Sad 1

What's up Colts fans. I'm a huge Lions fan and an even bigger Stafford fan. I pray that they get a deal done sending him to the Colts. The Lions wasted his early years but he's a straight up baller with a cannon. Stafford was nothing but amazing in the community and the locker room loves him. The Lions got the best QB that they've ever had and wasted him with head coaches like Jim Schwartz (a defensive coach) aka Jim Shorts as we call him, Jim Caldwell (need I digress?) and Matt Patricia (I would say that he's a defensive coach but he's garbage).

Stafford had to deal with garbage ever changing OC's, terrible HC's and a non existent running game. We didn't have a 100 yard rusher for a game that spanned almost 5 seasons. FIVE SEASONS!

Stafford is a perfect fit for Reich and I pray it gets done. He deserves a ring. Either way the Colts have put together a nice team and I wish you guys the best either way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1