Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you were being funny but in reality I think it will take at least our 21st and next years 2nd and that still might not be enough. Maybe they like Eason for some reason too, I have no idea but if they do I would throw him in there on that deal. We can always sign a backup for cheap in case Stafford get injured. I don't see JB coming back unless he wants to take a huge paycut.

Hmm Eason. I could see that but it does seem they will be drafting a QB. But if they asked beck yeah you do that.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

So Stafford wasn’t the answer for the Lions in his prime, but he’s the answer for the Colts in his 30’s?  No question he can put up numbers, but I feel like we’ll continue to be mired in high end mediocrity....borderline playoff team with a pick somewhere between 15 and 25 every year.  I’d rather they roll with Eason (high risk, high reward), rather than a low risk, average reward in Stafford.  We need our draft picks.

What if, Stafford plays the best football of his career with the Colts? 
  It’s not out of the realm of possibllity with the team around him.

And I like his athleticism and guts;

https://youtu.be/8rvIwyikbRU

8 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Go on Detroit reddit or any of their fan forums. Their fans absolutely adore him. He commands huge amounts of respect with them. They are broken-hearted but the overwhelming sentiment seems to be that wherever he goes they will cheer for him and root for him to win the SB. They feel like their management and coaches deprived him of an opportunity to have deep playoff runs with the Lions. 

This has its exceptions of course, but how fans of current team react to the departure of their star says a lot about that star, his legacy and play for that team and the type of heart and guts you can expect from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You must think Eason will be great, that is interesting. 

Can’t say for sure.  I like the measurables and potential.  I sort of view him like a first round pick this year if he had stayed in school, except he was able get a year in the NFL.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Stafford, but I just don’t think Stafford is someone who can work us through the playoffs.  So I’d rather risk a few more losses, keep our picks, and roll with the young gun.

33 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Stafford is rad.  I'd gladly take 5 to 7 years of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, krunk said:

Supe what do you think this does To our ability to improve our personnel if we get Stafford? Some around here are pretty concerned about it. I know youre all in so that tells me you thought that through already.

Probably means no first rounder, and about $35-40m in cap space. So it limits what we can do in FA for sure. 

But I don't think this team can contend without a difference maker at QB, so it's the cost of doing business. 

• Like 3

If Stafford comes here, we would lead the universe in QBs who were #1 draft picks - 1/5 of the QBs taken #1 overall in the Super Bowl era would have been drafted by or played for the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Where are you seeing that info?

This is only some things I have heard regarding the NFL Network and ESPN. It will probably come down to the Colts and SF. How bad does Ballard want Stafford is the question? If I am Stafford I am looking at stuff like playing in a dome/indoors at least 8 times a year and what kind of Line will I have. Those 2 things bode well for us. We do need a LT but our Line is the best in the middle with Kelly and Nelson. Smith is also good.

• Like 1

I would take Stafford without hesitation, but we also need a lt. Stafford would come here and win 12 games with this roster. Playoffs, probably a one and done that happens way to often here with the Colts. But atleast we would win and be optimistic instead of "knowing" we were going nowhere such as the 2019 season. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hmm. This is a interesting thought. Add this to Dobbs interviewing with the Lions.

It has been reported everyone that interviewed for detriot was informed Stafford would traded. 

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is only some things I have heard regarding the NFL Network and ESPN. It will probably come down to the Colts and SF. How bad does Ballard want Stafford is the question? If I am Stafford I am looking at stuff like playing in a dome/indoors at least 8 times a year and what kind of Line will I have. Those 2 things bode well for us. We do need a LT but our Line is the best in the middle with Kelly and Nelson. Smith is also good.

The good news, if we give up 21, is that there should still be a couple good OTs available in the 2nd round.  And I can’t imagine we could get Stafford with just the 21st pick - the Niners pick 12th.  Of course, no guarantee they’d give that pick up for Stafford.

That said, those aren’t the only two positions we need.  But I really have a lot of trust in Ballard to make the best roster moves available.   No GM lives in a fantasy football world.  It’s all about what’s possible and what, of that, is best.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I'm totally onboard with this at this point. He presents the best option.

I asked a Lions fan who's watched Stafford closely concerning his ability to perform in the clutch and I got the following response:

"Stafford currently holds the record for most 4th quarter comebacks in a single season with 8 in 2016. He’s tied for 7th all time in this stat with 31 in his career. The dude is absolutely clutch.

If there’s one criticism I would have of him it is that he can at times have a tendency to be a bit of a slow starter and he’ll have a few down series off the hop. That said almost without fail he plays his best football in the fourth quarter and generally out of the hurry up in tight time situations. if you were going to tell me we were down with 2 mins left in the 4th quarter and needed a touchdown to win, Stafford is probably one of the three top options you would pick from if not number one to win you that game.

Now as for big moments there will always be concerns about his performances against teams with winning records, playoff teams. I don’t put much of that on him. A lot of that has come down to just not having enough talent around him to will his team to wins against higher end teams on a regular basis. He’s had dominating efforts against elite teams that just turned into shootouts the Lions defence couldn’t keep up with.

Specifically with the playoff performances it’s a relatively small sample size but he played well enough for us to win against the Saints and cowboys with the first just being a pure talent mismatch where the Lions pulled corners off the street to play in the game and the latter being stolen by horrifically biased officiating. He didn’t have a great effort in his most recent playoff game at Seattle but lots of people have down efforts in that absurd environment.

Hope that answers your question.

EDIT: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

In case you haven’t seen, perfect example of how clutch this guy really is."

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, B~Town said:

It has been reported everyone that interviewed for detriot was informed Stafford would traded. 

That wasn’t the point of the tweet. The point was isn’t it weird Rivers retired so quickly after the season. Could Ballard have a deal already done for Stafford. Otherwise the timing of rivers retiring was strange.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That wasn’t the point of the tweet. The point was isn’t it weird Rivers retired so quickly after the season. Could Ballard have a deal already done for Stafford. Otherwise the timing of rivers retiring was strange.

I'm starting to believe this too. Sounds like Ballard may have told Rivers and offered him the "gentlemen's retirement" option.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Superman said:

Probably means no first rounder, and about $35-40m in cap space. So it limits what we can do in FA for sure. 

But I don't think this team can contend without a difference maker at QB, so it's the cost of doing business. 

Why do you think it means we will take a $35-40 cap hit?    I think I read Stanford’s last two years he gets $22m and $20m per season.

5 minutes ago, Restored said:

I'm starting to believe this too. Sounds like Ballard may have told Rivers and offered him the "gentlemen's retirement" option.

Yep. He let rivers make it look like he retired on his own. Instead of making rivers look like he was replaced. Also helps with the teams mentality. They loved Rivers. Rivers was getting stronger as the season went along. Wasn’t showing any slowing down. Now rivers did say he wanted to go out when he was playing his best. But everything seemed strange he made the decision so quick.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think it means we will take a $35-40 cap hit?    I think I read Stanford’s last two years he gets $22m and $20m per season.

We would have $35-40m remaining cap space.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He is saying we would have $35-$40m in cap space to spend after the trade. Which is pretty close when figuring leaving $5-$10m left for in season spending.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it's been asked earlier in this massive thread, but what's compensation going to be? Any of the QB needy teams ahead of us could simply give them their #1 which will be before ours.

I'm hoping it isn't a haul off picks for him. I know we're desperate, but he's been a loser his entire career (I get its the Lions, but still). I'll accept whatever they do, but I'm hoping he isn't too far gone with a ton of stink on him from years of losing.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I'm sure it's been asked earlier in this massive thread, but what's compensation going to be? Any of the QB needy teams ahead of us could simply give them their #1 which will be before ours.

I'm hoping it isn't a haul off picks for him. I know we're desperate, but he's been a loser his entire career (I get its the Lions, but still). I'll accept whatever they do, but I'm hoping he isn't too far gone with a ton of stink on him from years of losing.

No one knows, but it would likely require at least our first rounder.

And that hurts, IMO. We traded last year's first for a vet, and we actually haven't made a pick in the first round since Quenton Nelson in 2018. I don't like continually not picking in the first, but to secure a multiple year QB that we can contend with, I'll grin and bear it.

There are other supposedly interested teams with higher picks in 2021, so we probably need to be ready to part with another pick, like a 2021 third or a 2022 second. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seems like the colts playing inside would be a advantage for us. SF has warm weather so that is a plus. But the colts also play 6 other games in the division with good weather. TN could be a little cold late in the year but other then that you have 2 games in Jax and 2 in Texas. So that 14 games your most likely going to get good weather. Would he really want to play in a place like Denver. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

I’d personally rather have Rodgers, but I will happily take Stafford if that’s how the cards fall. 

I'm ok with Stafford as long as trades fair. I dont want Rodgers at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
19 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one knows, but it would likely require at least our first rounder.

And that hurts, IMO. We traded last year's first for a vet, and we actually haven't made a pick in the first round since Quenton Nelson in 2018. I don't like continually not picking in the first, but to secure a multiple year QB that we can contend with, I'll grin and bear it.

There are other supposedly interested teams with higher picks in 2021, so we probably need to be ready to part with another pick, like a 2021 third or a 2022 second. 

That's my feeling as well, I'll grin and bear it, but I don't want to give potentially 2 or 3 picks for him.

He definitely scares me though. Older, been beat up during his career and stuck in a terrible organization for years with a losing culture.

Let's hope it all works out.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Do you not want him because of what we would have to give to get him or?

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think Rodgers could easily take this team to the Super Bowl. We’ve seen what he’s done with no one to throw the ball to or much of a running game. 

5 minutes ago, twfish said:

Do you not want him because of what we would have to give to get him or?

He will be 38 and will cost multiple 1s to get.

No thanks 

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I think Rodgers could easily take this team to the Super Bowl. We’ve seen what he’s done with no one to throw the ball to or much of a running game. 

Id rather roll the dice with Jones or Lance