Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)


Recommended Posts

I think ultimately if he drops the best option at QB for the future would be Trey Lance. I think limited work this year could possibly drop him to the Colts in the 1st round.

 

Lance is definitely gonna need some time to work on his skills which is why I believe they will bring back Rivers 1 year. 

 

The QB outlook in 21 should be as follows 

 

Philip Rivers 1/20

Trey Lance Starter in 22'

Jacob Eason Backup in 22'

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think ultimately if he drops the best option at QB for the future would be Trey Lance. I think limited work this year could possibly drop him to the Colts in the 1st round.

 

Lance is definitely gonna need some time to work on his skills which is why I believe they will bring back Rivers 1 year. 

 

The QB outlook in 21 should be as follows 

 

Philip Rivers 1/20

Trey Lance Starter in 22'

Jacob Eason Backup in 22'

 

 

This would be the best situation. A team like the Panthers could take him and sit him a year since they have Bridgewater.  Off the top of my head I can’t think of any other teams that could do that. If Smith comes back for WA maybe he could fit in there. But a lot of teams needing QB won’t be in position with a veteran to let him sit. We could also even give him plays every game to get him experience. 

 

He hasn’t played much and a lack of a combine and interviewing in person may cause him to drop. He is the one to watch if he drops. If he starts dropping past ten that should be looked at as a move up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The QBs that will go before Lance are Lawrence Fields and Wilson.

 

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

 

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

Panthers or Football Team Wilson 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

or trade down and take Jones 

Link to post
Share on other sites

26.75 is the current average age of the QBs in the AFC. I am perfectly fine bringing Rivers back for 1 year but beyond that Ballard needs to address the QB position aggressively!

 

If Lance or Jones is there and the Colts have a chance to draft either they should be running to the podium.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The QBs that will go before Lance are Lawrence Fields and Wilson.

 

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

 

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

Panthers or Football Team Wilson 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

or trade down and take Jones 

I doubt those guys last that long.  For one there are other QB needy teams before the pick 21.  Second if you can count on anything in the NFL draft it’s teams moving up to over draft a QB.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe somebody could explain something 

Why does everyone and their mother have the Falcons and Panthers drafting a QB in their mocks?

 

Falcons due to his contract are most likely stuck with Ryan at least for the next year or two so drafting a QB as high as 4 would be incredibly dumb and the Panthers just signed Teddy Bridgewater to a 3/63 contract. If they weren't that serious about Teddy they couldve just signed him to a 1 year deal.

 

Both make no sense. 

I think the wildcard team that could possibly go QB above us is the 49ers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Maybe somebody could explain something 

Why does everyone and their mother have the Falcons and Panthers drafting a QB in their mocks?

 

Falcons due to his contract are most likely stuck with Ryan at least for the next year or two so drafting a QB as high as 4 would be incredibly dumb and the Panthers just signed Teddy Bridgewater to a 3/63 contract. If they weren't that serious about Teddy they couldve just signed him to a 1 year deal.

 

Both make no sense. 

I think the wildcard team that could possibly go QB above us is the 49ers.

Well a lot of people think the falcons will start over and move on from Ryan much like the Lions.  Even if they are stuck with him for this year the coach may want his guy to groom for a year not unlike what the chiefs did or the giants did with Eli and Jones.  With the Panthers I don’t think people believe in Bridgewater.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well a lot of people think the falcons will start over and move on from Ryan much like the Lions.  With the Panthers I don’t think people believe in Bridgewater.

@w87r

 

Can you give me Matt Ryan contract details cause I'm not 100% but I think they are gonna be stuck with him for a couple for years.

 

I don't really know how it effects their cap but I just think it would be dumb to take a QB at 4 and then not play him for 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

@w87r

 

Can you give me Matt Ryan contract details cause I'm not 100% but I think they are gonna be stuck with him for a couple for years.

 

I don't really know how it effects their cap but I just think it would be dumb to take a QB at 4 and then not play him for 2 years.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923703-falcons-will-allow-new-gm-to-part-ways-with-matt-ryan-julio-jones
 

With that said it sounds like their new coach is planning on having Ryan at least for next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danlhart87 said:

Maybe somebody could explain something 

Why does everyone and their mother have the Falcons and Panthers drafting a QB in their mocks?

 

Falcons due to his contract are most likely stuck with Ryan at least for the next year or two so drafting a QB as high as 4 would be incredibly dumb and the Panthers just signed Teddy Bridgewater to a 3/63 contract. If they weren't that serious about Teddy they couldve just signed him to a 1 year deal.

 

Both make no sense. 

I think the wildcard team that could possibly go QB above us is the 49ers.

Because if you don't have your long-term solutions at QB you should be searching for him and this is a good QB class. 36 year old Matt Ryan should not stop you from drafting your QB of the future and Teddy Bridgewater should definitely not stop you from drafting a QB if you think he can be the franchise QB. :dunno:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

@w87r

 

Can you give me Matt Ryan contract details cause I'm not 100% but I think they are gonna be stuck with him for a couple for years.

 

I don't really know how it effects their cap but I just think it would be dumb to take a QB at 4 and then not play him for 2 years.

Colts cap hit if traded:

2021 - $23m

2022 - $23.75m

2023 - $28m

 

Atlanta net negative off $3.5m more than if they would keep him.

 

Keep cap hit:$40.9m

Trade dead cap:$44.4m

 

 

Don't see them moving on from him, unless they designate him a post June 1st cut and taking dead cap over 2 seasons.

 

They can get rid of him after 2021 and save $15m in cap space. With $26.5 m dead cap hit.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The QBs that will go before Lance are Lawrence Fields and Wilson.

 

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

 

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

Panthers or Football Team Wilson 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

or trade down and take Jones 

If Lions are really after Fields then a trade of Stafford to Colts is really looking promising. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Lions are really after Fields then a trade of Stafford to Colts is really looking promising. 

I think it’s a possibility but I wouldn’t call it promising beyond reports that Indy would be a landing spot that makes sense to him there is zero to report Ballard and the Lions are working on a deal.  Not saying it can’t happen or those conversations haven’t taken place but until it happens or some of those signs start showing up I wouldn’t call it promising.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, w87r said:

Colts cap hit if traded:

2021 - $23m

2022 - $23.75m

2023 - $28m

 

Atlanta net negative off $3.5m more than if they would keep him.

 

Keep cap hit:$40.9m

Trade dead cap:$44.4m

 

 

Don't see them moving on from him, unless they designate him a post June 1st cut and taking dead cap over 2 seasons.

 

They can get rid of him after 2021 and save $15m in cap space. With $26.5 m dead cap hit.

I believe they ultimately draft defense like Micah Parsons. 

 

Panthers draft OL or Pitts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think we bring Rivers back for one last shot and sit on Kyle Trask in Round 1.     I think Trask is under-rated by fans and draftniks, mainly because he’s not athletic.  But he’s a premier pocket passer, and I’ve seen it written that he’s particularly good at moving within the pocket while keeping his eyes up field.  But really it’s his character, toughness, and football intelligence that Ballard’s going to fall in love with...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Archer said:

Personally, I think we bring Rivers back for one last shot and sit on Kyle Trask in Round 1.     I think Trask is under-rated by fans and draftniks, mainly because he’s not athletic.  But he’s a premier pocket passer, and I’ve seen it written that he’s particularly good at moving within the pocket while keeping his eyes up field.  But really it’s his character, toughness, and football intelligence that Ballard’s going to fall in love with...

Trask will be a day 2 pick

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The QBs that will go before Lance are Lawrence Fields and Wilson.

 

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

 

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

Panthers or Football Team Wilson 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

or trade down and take Jones 

Patriots  will take qb

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If Lions are really after Fields then a trade of Stafford to Colts is really looking promising. 

I would think we’d have some interest...

 

The big question will be the cost in picks?   It may be harder than the trade for Buckner. The price for a quarterback can get expensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Trask will be a day 2 pick

Could be a steal! Maybe Colts go left tackle or WR in round 1 then trade up to the beginning of round 2 to grab Trask. 
 

Sign Rivers for 1 year, groom Trask, and keep Eason as the fall back option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aces101 said:

Could be a steal! Maybe Colts go left tackle or WR in round 1 then trade up to the beginning of round 2 to grab Trask. 
 

Sign Rivers for 1 year, groom Trask, and keep Eason as the fall back option.

I don't think there's a need to trade up. He could easily be there at our 2nd pick. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s just a option they should look at. In Reichs system and the running game he might be pretty good.

Like I said he should be nothing more than a backup here 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stitches said:

Burrow had some of the best pocket movement and awareness I've seen since Luck. Truly special. (thanks to athleticism) He was also making insane plays out of structure. Something that can't exactly be said about Jones... 

Yeah his pocket presence was insane. Mac doesn’t have any elite traits at all. I seriously don’t get the Love.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be interesting, I thought he would play 1 more year.

 

 

Really Stafford is the only vet on my radar right now(Watson, not to realistic), and there is a chance that he might not 3ven be an option.

 

I guess Carr could join that list if made available.

 

If Watson goes to Jets(rumors) Darnold still interest me.

 

 

Rivers retiring just threw me off guard. Glad he did it so soon though so we can move on to find next option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a couple of mock drafts that have us taking Trask.  One mock had us take him in the first, another in the second.  If we could get Trask in the second I'd be thrilled with that.  I don't know enough about him to know if he would be a decent first rounder or not.

 

Feel like we need a veteran guy though.  Is Trask a franchise QB, ready to take over from day one?  Not sure Eason is the guy yet either going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Row is an interesting guy. I like his resume, but it is a bit confusing.   His latest stop (App St) was only a year, but if anyone is interested in their scheme, Here's a decent read. https://matchquarters.com/2020/07/06/mq-film-study-app-state-vs-unc-2019/   Hard to know exactly what scheme he feels at home in given his career hops. Regardless, I'm sure he's here to carry out Flus's scheme. I know App St played 2 high and also rip/liz (similar to us). The front was different though (3-4 with anchor/dog).   My biggest hope is that he either is successful at transitioning RYS from a press man guy to a zone guy, or finds a new role for him, be it as NB, dime, or S. Would also love to see what he can do with Rodgers.
    • I think Wentz should be happy to be a Colt.  He shouldn’t need to ask to wear number 11.  I know he asked Pitman and was shot down and took it like a champ. I appreciate that Wentz didn’t scream Im a Diva and I have to have number 11.  But Wentz performance last season was awful.  Doesn’t matter if philly WR sucks or there Oline sucks etc..  Wentz just needs to put on whatever the number/Jersey is handed to him and go out there and show the world you are an Elite QB and That Philly was the problem.  
    • I don’t care what formation we run.  I would like to see the Carson Wentz that comes to the line and audibles plays left and right to confuse the defense.  I’m not sure if he changed plays at all during that MVP run year he had with Philly but that’s what I want to see!
    • I would not be surprised if we draft his latest project at CB on the 3rd day of the draft.....  Shemar Jean-Charles   "2020: First-team All-American by Walter Camp Football Foundation (first FBS first-team All-American in school history) ... Second-team All-American and the Sun Belt Player of the Year by PFF College … Second-team All-American by Sporting News and third-team All-American via Phil Steele ... Semifinalist for the Bednarik Award (nation’s top defender) and Thorpe Award (nation’s top defensive back) … First-team All-Sun Belt … Led nation as a senior with 16 PBUs and 17 passes defended (with one interception) in 12 games as a senior … Started all 12 games at cornerback and intercepted a pass at Texas State … Recorded 37 tackles, tying a career high of eight against Charlotte and posting six more against Arkansas State … ESPN’s No. 3 breakout player in 2020 (behind BYU QB Zach Wilson and Alabama QB Mac Jones) … According to PFF, had the rare accomplishment of recording a higher forced incompletion rate (34.6%) than catch rate allowed (32.7%) ... Targeted 35 times in single coverage and allowed only five catches while forcing 18 incompletions, according to PFF … Part of a tandem with Shaun Jolly, helped App State have the best CB tandem in college according to PFF College, as the Mountaineers had an FBS-leading 74 passes defended … Part of only FBS team that allowed its opponents to complete less than 50 percent of its passes (47.9 percent) … During regular season, second in the FBS in yards per coverage snap allowed on the outside … PFF College’s national Defensive MVP of the Week after recording a career-high four pass breakups, eight tackles and one forced fumble against Charlotte … Recorded three PBUs at ULM and two apiece against Marshall, Campbell and Louisiana."
    • I sat in endzone couple times.  It's nice when the offense is coming toward you inside the RedZone....but can't say I liked it when the offense is moving away from you on opposite side of field over 100 yards away.   But I did see Andre Rison's TD vs dolphins in Miami. We were in endzone and colts were driving toward us and rison scored a TD that was voted Top 100 TD's ever, I think. And we saw it in  person not too far away from our seats.   I think I seen another top 100 td, but can't remember for sure, lol. I think it was a Ricky Williams run?  Such a long time ago 
  • Members

    • coltsva

      coltsva 1,765

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SR711

      SR711 200

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • gnet550

      gnet550 134

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 7,376

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Southern Cal

      Southern Cal 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IanColts22

      IanColts22 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • B~Town

      B~Town 210

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 5,013

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 8,299

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...