Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

I think ultimately if he drops the best option at QB for the future would be Trey Lance. I think limited work this year could possibly drop him to the Colts in the 1st round.

Lance is definitely gonna need some time to work on his skills which is why I believe they will bring back Rivers 1 year. 

The QB outlook in 21 should be as follows 

Philip Rivers 1/20

Trey Lance Starter in 22'

Jacob Eason Backup in 22'

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think ultimately if he drops the best option at QB for the future would be Trey Lance. I think limited work this year could possibly drop him to the Colts in the 1st round.

Lance is definitely gonna need some time to work on his skills which is why I believe they will bring back Rivers 1 year. 

The QB outlook in 21 should be as follows 

Philip Rivers 1/20

Trey Lance Starter in 22'

Jacob Eason Backup in 22'

This would be the best situation. A team like the Panthers could take him and sit him a year since they have Bridgewater.  Off the top of my head I can’t think of any other teams that could do that. If Smith comes back for WA maybe he could fit in there. But a lot of teams needing QB won’t be in position with a veteran to let him sit. We could also even give him plays every game to get him experience. 

He hasn’t played much and a lack of a combine and interviewing in person may cause him to drop. He is the one to watch if he drops. If he starts dropping past ten that should be looked at as a move up.

The QBs that will go before Lance are Lawrence Fields and Wilson.

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

Panthers or Football Team Wilson 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

or trade down and take Jones 

26.75 is the current average age of the QBs in the AFC. I am perfectly fine bringing Rivers back for 1 year but beyond that Ballard needs to address the QB position aggressively!

If Lance or Jones is there and the Colts have a chance to draft either they should be running to the podium.

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Right now I think there is a chance Fields could drop to 7 especially if the Jets decide to stick with Darnold I could see it like this

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

I doubt those guys last that long.  For one there are other QB needy teams before the pick 21.  Second if you can count on anything in the NFL draft it’s teams moving up to over draft a QB.

• Thanks 1

Maybe somebody could explain something 

Why does everyone and their mother have the Falcons and Panthers drafting a QB in their mocks?

Falcons due to his contract are most likely stuck with Ryan at least for the next year or two so drafting a QB as high as 4 would be incredibly dumb and the Panthers just signed Teddy Bridgewater to a 3/63 contract. If they weren't that serious about Teddy they couldve just signed him to a 1 year deal.

Both make no sense. 

I think the wildcard team that could possibly go QB above us is the 49ers.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why does everyone and their mother have the Falcons and Panthers drafting a QB in their mocks?

Falcons due to his contract are most likely stuck with Ryan at least for the next year or two so drafting a QB as high as 4 would be incredibly dumb and the Panthers just signed Teddy Bridgewater to a 3/63 contract. If they weren't that serious about Teddy they couldve just signed him to a 1 year deal.

Both make no sense. 

Well a lot of people think the falcons will start over and move on from Ryan much like the Lions.  Even if they are stuck with him for this year the coach may want his guy to groom for a year not unlike what the chiefs did or the giants did with Eli and Jones.  With the Panthers I don’t think people believe in Bridgewater.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well a lot of people think the falcons will start over and move on from Ryan much like the Lions.  With the Panthers I don’t think people believe in Bridgewater.

@w87r

Can you give me Matt Ryan contract details cause I'm not 100% but I think they are gonna be stuck with him for a couple for years.

I don't really know how it effects their cap but I just think it would be dumb to take a QB at 4 and then not play him for 2 years.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

@w87r

Can you give me Matt Ryan contract details cause I'm not 100% but I think they are gonna be stuck with him for a couple for years.

I don't really know how it effects their cap but I just think it would be dumb to take a QB at 4 and then not play him for 2 years.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923703-falcons-will-allow-new-gm-to-part-ways-with-matt-ryan-julio-jones

With that said it sounds like their new coach is planning on having Ryan at least for next year.

• Like 1
Just now, danlhart87 said:

Both make no sense. 

Because if you don't have your long-term solutions at QB you should be searching for him and this is a good QB class. 36 year old Matt Ryan should not stop you from drafting your QB of the future and Teddy Bridgewater should definitely not stop you from drafting a QB if you think he can be the franchise QB. :dunno:

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

@w87r

Colts cap hit if traded:

2021 - $23m

2022 - $23.75m

2023 - $28m

Atlanta net negative off $3.5m more than if they would keep him.

Keep cap hit:$40.9m

Trade dead cap:$44.4m

Don't see them moving on from him, unless they designate him a post June 1st cut and taking dead cap over 2 seasons.

They can get rid of him after 2021 and save $15m in cap space. With $26.5 m dead cap hit.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

If Lions are really after Fields then a trade of Stafford to Colts is really looking promising. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Lions are really after Fields then a trade of Stafford to Colts is really looking promising. 

I think it’s a possibility but I wouldn’t call it promising beyond reports that Indy would be a landing spot that makes sense to him there is zero to report Ballard and the Lions are working on a deal.  Not saying it can’t happen or those conversations haven’t taken place but until it happens or some of those signs start showing up I wouldn’t call it promising.  

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

Colts cap hit if traded:

2021 - $23m

2022 - $23.75m

2023 - $28m

Atlanta net negative off $3.5m more than if they would keep him.

Keep cap hit:$40.9m

Trade dead cap:$44.4m

Don't see them moving on from him, unless they designate him a post June 1st cut and taking dead cap over 2 seasons.

They can get rid of him after 2021 and save $15m in cap space. With $26.5 m dead cap hit.

I believe they ultimately draft defense like Micah Parsons. 

Panthers draft OL or Pitts

Personally, I think we bring Rivers back for one last shot and sit on Kyle Trask in Round 1.     I think Trask is under-rated by fans and draftniks, mainly because he’s not athletic.  But he’s a premier pocket passer, and I’ve seen it written that he’s particularly good at moving within the pocket while keeping his eyes up field.  But really it’s his character, toughness, and football intelligence that Ballard’s going to fall in love with...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Archer said:

Personally, I think we bring Rivers back for one last shot and sit on Kyle Trask in Round 1.     I think Trask is under-rated by fans and draftniks, mainly because he’s not athletic.  But he’s a premier pocket passer, and I’ve seen it written that he’s particularly good at moving within the pocket while keeping his eyes up field.  But really it’s his character, toughness, and football intelligence that Ballard’s going to fall in love with...

Trask will be a day 2 pick

• Like 2
5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jaguars Lawrence 

Lions Fields 

(Possibly trading up)

Colts take Lance at 21

Patriots  will take qb

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would think we’d have some interest...

The big question will be the cost in picks?   It may be harder than the trade for Buckner. The price for a quarterback can get expensive. 

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Trask will be a day 2 pick

Could be a steal! Maybe Colts go left tackle or WR in round 1 then trade up to the beginning of round 2 to grab Trask. 

Sign Rivers for 1 year, groom Trask, and keep Eason as the fall back option.

Just now, Aces101 said:

Could be a steal! Maybe Colts go left tackle or WR in round 1 then trade up to the beginning of round 2 to grab Trask. 

Sign Rivers for 1 year, groom Trask, and keep Eason as the fall back option.

I don't think there's a need to trade up. He could easily be there at our 2nd pick. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s just a option they should look at. In Reichs system and the running game he might be pretty good.

Like I said he should be nothing more than a backup here 

20 hours ago, stitches said:

Burrow had some of the best pocket movement and awareness I've seen since Luck. Truly special. (thanks to athleticism) He was also making insane plays out of structure. Something that can't exactly be said about Jones... 

Yeah his pocket presence was insane. Mac doesn’t have any elite traits at all. I seriously don’t get the Love.

Should be interesting, I thought he would play 1 more year.

Really Stafford is the only vet on my radar right now(Watson, not to realistic), and there is a chance that he might not 3ven be an option.

I guess Carr could join that list if made available.

If Watson goes to Jets(rumors) Darnold still interest me.

Rivers retiring just threw me off guard. Glad he did it so soon though so we can move on to find next option.

I've seen a couple of mock drafts that have us taking Trask.  One mock had us take him in the first, another in the second.  If we could get Trask in the second I'd be thrilled with that.  I don't know enough about him to know if he would be a decent first rounder or not.

Feel like we need a veteran guy though.  Is Trask a franchise QB, ready to take over from day one?  Not sure Eason is the guy yet either going forward.