Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://*/idk82v

According to Schefter new Jets coach Robert Saleh wants to keep Darnold and give him a chance with new staff to prove himself. Schefter said he would be surprised if Darnold is not the starting QB for the Jets next season and they will entertain offers for no. 2.

Given our connections with the Jets, is it possible we make a bid for no. 2?

Nope 

Ballard might trade up lil bit but not to 2

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Exodus said:

Trading 21 for Wentz is hardly a highlight, imo. It's a disaster. 

I'm incredibly unapologetic among my friend group in saying that a move like this would set the Colts back, instead of move us forward. Give me Matt Ryan, or Matt Stafford with a 2nd, and then my interest is peaked. I did like some of the other FA moves for the team, but that first big splash sent chills down my spin. 

Agree.  Might as well bring back Curtis Painter.  :rock:

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I'd so no to Godwin.  He doesn't impress me.  Seems to drop the ball alot lately in crucial situations.

Not to mention he’s always getting hurt

• Like 1

Gimme Stafford or Wentz for a 3rd, nothing more if Ballard and this front office doesn’t believe Eason is the answer or if they won’t be able to get someone like Trey Lance in the draft. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would trade our 1st round pick for Stafford but I want nothing to do with Wentz, that is just me. I don't get the love for Wentz by some :dunno:

Yep.... I’m fine with Stafford.. no bueno on Wentz.

And as long as we’re dreaming.... trade for Stafford and sign his pal WR Kenny Golladay. :td:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a good video of what the colts should do this offseason. Just some highlights. Trade 21 for Wentz. Sign Daryl Williams as a veteran LT. Then sign chris Godwin. He goes through who we should bring back and let go. The salary cap info is wrong and there is a couple other things not right but this would be a hell of a offseason.

sad jim carrey GIF

• Haha 1

If this could happen I would be elated. I think if Philly gives up on Wentz he could be had for possible a 2nd or a 3rd as they would be wanting to unload his salary. I think this guy is the only guy besides me that wants Hooker back. Yeah!

I'm not an expert on Cap space but unloading $45M in QB salary from PR and JB would certainly increase our cap.

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

If this could happen I would be elated. I think if Philly gives up on Wentz he could be had for possible a 2nd or a 3rd as they would be wanting to unload his salary. I think this guy is the only guy besides me that wants Hooker back. Yeah!

I'm not an expert on Cap space but unloading $45M in QB salary from PR and JB would certainly increase our cap.

Most i would give is like 5th or later

Football is a team sport. Your QB is only as good as your receivers, O line, and running game,not to mention your defense. Every single QB in this league is very very good (or they would not be here at all ). But some are just in a better situation than the others.  Take P. Manning for ex.  13 years and only 1 ring with all his greatness and stats it just unacceptable. Top 5 QB of all time with no defense, O line and bad running game. Getting the best QB does not make it any better if they do not have the right team.Period. 

• Haha 1
Just now, conklincolt said:

Do you think mahomes, or rogers would have made the Jaguar's or jets better ?  Nope,  but maybe a tiny bit.  Peyton Manning do not as great as he was. 

I have no doubt both would have made them better cause they are excellent QBs

1 hour ago, stitches said:

https://*/idk82v

According to Schefter new Jets coach Robert Saleh wants to keep Darnold and give him a chance with new staff to prove himself. Schefter said he would be surprised if Darnold is not the starting QB for the Jets next season and they will entertain offers for no. 2.

Given our connections with the Jets, is it possible we make a bid for no. 2?

I think there is a possibility depending on what happens with the other veteran QB's that we think could be available.  I think Wentz and Darnold now stay with their teams.  If the new group in Detroit decides to rebuild around Stafford then the possibility of a trade up increases depending on what Rivers decides he wants to do.  The price would be very expensive to go to 2 and I find it hard to believe Ballard would give up that many picks.  If he really loved the guy he could get at No. 2 then I could see him trading a player and picks.  Maybe two No 1's and Leonard.  Something like that.  I just hope we get Stafford and don't have to go there.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Overall I like it with the exception of Wentz.  I am of the opinion Wentz will stay in Philly.  I think they chose him over Pederson and they give him another year with that contract.  I think Godwin is a great choice at WR.  Robinson is going to demand the attention and money and Godwin I think makes more sense.  Trying to get Williams from Buffalo won't be easy.  I think they will do what it takes to keep him.  So I would focus on Villunave(sp) from Pittsburgh.  I also like the idea of Thuney from the Pats at G and moving Q to tackle.  I could see Q's agent pushing this move for obvious reasons.  I did like the vet's he chose for us to resign.  I thought it was a nice job actually.  To me our direction hinges on the choice Detroit makes.  Do they go full rebuild and use our 1st in a trade for Stafford to move up or do they go with Stafford and trade back in the 1st to get more picks to support him.  So many different ways this could go for us.

We only want to make one move on the OL. Leave Q where he belongs and find  a left tackle.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there is a possibility depending on what happens with the other veteran QB's that we think could be available.  I think Wentz and Darnold now stay with their teams.  If the new group in Detroit decides to rebuild around Stafford then the possibility of a trade up increases depending on what Rivers decides he wants to do.  The price would be very expensive to go to 2 and I find it hard to believe Ballard would give up that many picks.  If he really loved the guy he could get at No. 2 then I could see him trading a player and picks.  Maybe two No 1's and Leonard.  Something like that.  I just hope we get Stafford and don't have to go there.  

None of the veteran QBs are going to be cut or traded. We will sign Rivers for another year and if a QB Ballard covets in the draft happens to fall to #21...Ballard will draft him. If not..he will draft a left tackle or CB.

31 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I have no doubt both would have made them better cause they are excellent QBs

yes better, but so did Manning.better but bad results.  13 years, 1 ring.    with mahomes  jets or jags still would not have made the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, conklincolt said:

yes better, but so did Manning.better but bad results.  13 years, 1 ring.    with mahomes  jets or jags still would not have made the playoffs. 

There is absolutely no way of knowing that for sure

I don’t see him trading all the way up to two. But who knows if he is in love with one of the QB. This team already has a lot of pieces and could probably afford giving up some draft picks. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see him trading all the way up to two. But who knows if he is in love with one of the QB. This team already has a lot of pieces and could probably afford giving up some draft picks. 

If the jets trade back between 10-15 Ballard  might be willing  to move up in that range

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a good video of what the colts should do this offseason. Just some highlights. Trade 21 for Wentz. Sign Daryl Williams as a veteran LT. Then sign chris Godwin. He goes through who we should bring back and let go. The salary cap info is wrong and there is a couple other things not right but this would be a hell of a offseason.

Trade a 1st for Wentz ? Are you mad? The Eagles at this point will take whatever they can for Wentz to unload his cap. Why would we deal a first? 

I thought this guy suggesting the Colts keep Malik Hooker was the downfall of this video. Not even the dumbest GM in the NFL would trade their first round pick for Carson Wentz and that absurd contract he has tied to him. How could you label this as a perfect off-season?

What is Carson Wentz's salary cap hit

Wentz is costing the Eagles $18.656 million against the cap for 2020. His dead money was set at $77.877 million. 

His cap number jumps up to $34.673 million in 2021. It comes down to $31.274 million in 2022, and hits a peak of $36.273 million in 2023. In 2024, the final year of the contract, the cap hit of $32 million will match his average annual salary.

Wentz is actually making only $1.383 million in base salary this season. That number hits a high of $22 million when he turns 30, appropriately in 2022. When the Eagles' structured Wentz's deal, in relation to the extensions for other highly drafted quarterbacks, it ended up being team-friendly.

The Eagles had to work it up that way given Wentz's history of injury. In the end, however, he didn't sacrifice too much overall given the exponential explosion at the top of the QB market since.

When can the Eagles get out of Carson Wentz's contract?

The Eagles, if they don't think about trading Wentz before June 1 in 2021 — the only scenario in which they see any kind of cap relief for the move — are likely locked into Wentz for one more season.

Given their cap situation, releasing Wentz is financially impossible. That move would cost the Eagles $59 mllion in dead money with a cap hit of $24.5 million. Trading him to someone would cause them to eat $33.8 million in dead money but at least get a mild cap relief of about $853,000. The trick there will be finding a partner willing to take on his adjusted lesser contract, which would be essentially for four years at $98.4 million

I think it’s going to be almost impossible not to weaken this team next season.  I am thr most worried about then dline.  How do we replace Houston or Autry if we don’t bring them back. That is a lot of sacks. I would bring back Autry and probably let Houston go. Autry can fill in for Buckner if needed so he serves a dual purpose. Is Lewis ready to take Houston’s place?

A couple thoughts on the offseason in general: I dont know if Wentz can be re-habbed or not, but the price is too high to find out in my mind.....they would have to give us picks to take him from my standpoint, and if the picks are not significant, then I would want a radical re-work of his contract....doesnt matter to me that we have the cap room to take his salary or not, to me the value of return is not there to warrant the number to begin with......on some of our free agents, we may lose them to the highest bidder, Ballards M.O. is assess value of player offer contract, let them test market if they get more ....goodbye......kind of a tough love approach using dollar bills lol......... so I would prefer to keep as many of our own as possible FIRST, and then lets see where we are from a cap and need situation before we worry about F.A.'s outside of the locker room...Xavier Rhodes is going to be a bummer to lose, but he kind of hinted that he will go where the high bid is...which probably won't be here.....He was making bank before his play dropped in Minny, to him this was his "prove it year" and he feels he proved it and wants a big pay day again......someone might give it to him.....

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

And there goes the entire cap in two moves basically

That’s why I keep saying it’s likely Darnold or a draft pick. The cap space required for a QB doesn’t really fit what they need to do. 

I can see a scenario where they go for Stafford...but it will stretch the cap super thin...and I don’t think Ballard would go for that. 

But if they can get a cheaper QB...then there’s all kinds of avenues to supplement the team because they have cap space. They can sign FAs, snag bargains on players if their markets dry up, sign cap casualties, trade Day 3 picks for established players under contract (this is especially true with the cap reductions), trade future Day Two picks for stars nearing the end of their rookie deals.

That’s when the true SB window would open...when they have their young franchise QB and can make a handful of moves that put them over the top. 

If they spend it all on a vet QB...it’s going to make it difficult to do much of anything. And there are too many positions to address right now.

My hope is that they can get a younger cheaper QB and let a handful of guys walk to collect comp picks. Then as team crunch the numbers, they can look to pick up cap casualties or trade for that proven talent with Day 3 picks (knowing they will have comp picks to replace any future picks they give up). Just a handful of those moves could certainly move the needle...if QB is addressed.

The only thing I will say is KC still has holes. But when you do find the franchise QB and surround them with weapons it doesn’t matter much if there are small holes. This is a offensive league.  So If the veteran QB like a Wentz or Stafford is available then spend the money on them if they think it can get you to a SB. You can have small weaknesses if you have the offense rolling.

15 hours ago, conklincolt said:

Football is a team sport. Your QB is only as good as your receivers, O line, and running game,not to mention your defense. Every single QB in this league is very very good (or they would not be here at all ). But some are just in a better situation than the others.  Take P. Manning for ex.  13 years and only 1 ring with all his greatness and stats it just unacceptable. Top 5 QB of all time with no defense, O line and bad running game. Getting the best QB does not make it any better if they do not have the right team.Period. 

Every QB is NOT very, very good.  However, they don't have to be to win games, because like you said  it is a team sport.   And I agree, the best QB needs a good team,  but I feel like we have a pretty good team,  minus a QB (as it stands right now).

19 hours ago, Kdeming1230 said:

What is with everyone okay with giving up the 21st pick for wentz? Wentz has been garbage for 3 years now and he’s shown that there’s no way he’s worth the value of a first round pick. Stafford on the other hand is a different story. I’d be perfectly fine with the colts trading the 21st pick for Stafford but I would t be too happy if they did the same with wentz. Wentz stock is so down right now he’s probably worth a 3rd or 4th to teams that are rebuilding. Colts want to win. We have a SB caliber team. I have zero faith wentz would be an upgrade over rivers. I have 100% faith in Stafford being a major upgrade over rivers though. That’s the difference. 

Because of Wentz’s contract and all the questions surrounding his current viability as a quality starter, if Wentz is traded, I’ll be surprised if it is for more than a 4th round pick.

22 hours ago, conklincolt said:

colts drafted a qb 2 years ago 2 or 3 rd.  dude never played a snap yet.  wth  why,who does that? 

No they didn’t.  They drafted Eason last year in the fourth round.  Before that the last QB they drafted was Harnish the same year they took Luck.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No they didn’t.  They drafted Eason last year in the fourth round.  Before that the last QB they drafted was Harnish the same year they took Luck.

chandler GIF

Team better be begging Rivers to come back .11 win seasons are not easy to do especially when the WR group was wildly inconsistent and the OL had musical chairs going on at LT .Rivers was AWESOME this year he’s better than Donald and Stanford 

7 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Every QB is NOT very, very good.  However, they don't have to be to win games, because like you said  it is a team sport.   And I agree, the best QB needs a good team,  but I feel like we have a pretty good team,  minus a QB (as it stands right now).

Yeah, no to Wentz. Yes to Stafford.

Rivers went 5-11 on a team with bad talent and OL in 2019, and went 11-5 with a team with much better talent and OL. The same turnaround can be expected with Stafford whose team has been devoid of defensive talent resulting in fewer wins, and his arm and lateral movement are a plus over Rivers. The coaches and GM will decide if that will give us an extra boost or not. 

Personally, if available, I'd really dig Stafford.  Resigning Rivers seems the most likely.  Honest question, why are we all so convinced it wont be Eason?  Is it mostly because hes a 4th rounder?

I'm wondering (aside from the rivers reocurrance) if it's just as likely Ballard/Reich are playing it close to the chest and intend to let Eason take the reigns.

I've heard them praise him, but not often enough for me to think its false praise......

At some point soon Ballard needs to make a big move at qb.  His legacy and tenure demand it.  His somewhat lackadasical public appearance on the subject makes me wonder if he already has it figured out.

My brain is in total offseason mode btw.  I'm out thinking myself more than Reich in the redzone.........(zing).

On 1/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, Thunderbolt said:

Draft a rookie QB instead with 21st pick. Wentz no, not here.

That isn’t likely to happen, Ballard even said in his end of the year presser its not likely there will be a QB still there at 21.  Odds are if they want one they are going to have to have a guy slip a little and go up to get him.  I think that’s what Ballard was talking about when he said it takes a little luck.

1 hour ago, Sumo63 said:

Personally, if available, I'd really dig Stafford.  Resigning Rivers seems the most likely.  Honest question, why are we all so convinced it wont be Eason?  Is it mostly because hes a 4th rounder?

I'm wondering (aside from the rivers reocurrance) if it's just as likely Ballard/Reich are playing it close to the chest and intend to let Eason take the reigns.

I've heard them praise him, but not often enough for me to think its false praise......

At some point soon Ballard needs to make a big move at qb.  His legacy and tenure demand it.  His somewhat lackadasical public appearance on the subject makes me wonder if he already has it figured out.

My brain is in total offseason mode btw.  I'm out thinking myself more than Reich in the redzone.........(zing).

Because Ballard pretty much ruled Eason out in his end of season presser.  At least that’s why i don’t think it will be Eason.  

Ballard knows he’s going to have to do something at the QB position for the future and made it clear they are looking for that guy but he also made it clear he’s not going to force the move just to get a QB.  He knows if he get that move wrong he’s going to lose his job.  So I think we are going to have to be patient but know that Ballard is always looking for that guy and once he thinks he’s found him he will do his best to get him.  

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That isn’t likely to happen, Ballard even said in his end of the year presser its not likely there will be a QB still there at 21.  Odds are if they want one they are going to have to have a guy slip a little and go up to get him.  I think that’s what Ballard was talking about when he said it takes a little luck.

Because Ballard pretty much ruled Eason out in his end of season presser.  At least that’s why i don’t think it will be Eason.  

Ballard knows he’s going to have to do something at the QB position for the future and made it clear they are looking for that guy but he also made it clear he’s not going to force the move just to get a QB.  He knows if he get that move wrong he’s going to lose his job.  So I think we are going to have to be patient but know that Ballard is always looking for that guy and once he thinks he’s found him he will do his best to get him.  

Honest question, how long do you think he can afford to be patient?  After 2021 (unless my math is off, which it consistently is) hes at the half decade point in his tenure.

How long before caution becomes apathy?

If he cant do any better than a band-aid at qb now and we're not going to be a top 10 (or 20) draft pick how long is his leash?  I feel the pressure for him, hes gotta know it's getting tight.