Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah, the problem is we are quickly moving toward that group too. We have Braden, Quenton and Leonard to give contract to/extend over the next year... They can easily go for 50-55M. And we still have no QB signed for next year. 

Yup, but we're starting in a better spot, so at least in position to poach some deals. Better that, than having to sell for pennies on the dollar.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

JMV has a lions media guy on. He is almost convincing me Stafford would be a very good fit here lol. It would buy even more time to see what Eason has or draft another QB. 

Would you guys give up our first for him? Similar to what we did with Buckner. 

Absolutely.  He would be our guy for many years to come.  

Just now, stitches said:

True, but we still have to be careful how we spend. 

Oh, absolutely.

One thing good about the current market, any of our FAs we want to keep, will be a lot easier to resign. Autry, Houston, Walker, Hilton, etc.. Rhodes is the only one I could see getting a healthy offer that we might not want to match. 

The more I'm looking at our cap situation and pending FAs over the next year or two, the more it seems to me like the best decision going forward would be to go pick our QB of the future from the draft. Addressing QB with cheap rookie contract would be great for our situation IMO. Of course... the regular caveat applies - IF Ballard and Reich love a QB from the draft. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

The more I'm looking at our cap situation and pending FAs over the next year or two, the more it seems to me like the best decision going forward would be to go pick our QB of the future from the draft. Addressing QB with cheap rookie contract would be great for our situation IMO. Of course... the regular caveat applies - IF Ballard and Reich love a QB from the draft. 

Same could be said about DE too though. Or LT. All 3 are high dollar positions that we must solve for. I'm honestly most worried about DE since both our starters are FAs. Personally, I want both Autry and Houston back so we can push the need off for another year or so. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Probably right. I'm just not ready to give up on this little window we have right now. We still need to add 3-4 players for 2021 -- WR, CB, Edge, LT -- and I'm not sure we realistically can. If we're not better at those positions, I don't see us competing for a SB. So a mini reset is probably the right move.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Same could be said about DE too though. Or LT. All 3 are high dollar positions that we must solve for. I'm honestly most worried about DE since both our starters are FAs. Personally, I want both Autry and Houston back so we can push the need off for another year or so. 

You can probably get 2 DEs or DE and LT with the money you would have to give to a QB in FA for example. For example, the caphit for Stafford in 2021 is 33M. You can absolutely get 2 quality DEs for that. You would have to give more to Dak probably. Probably have to give Rivers 25M... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You can probably get 2 DEs or DE and LT with the money you would have to give to a QB in FA for example. 

I agree, which is why I think Rivers who was top 10ish stat wise, was a value at 25M. 

If we're talking about minimum top 10 at position (for baseline).

10th paid QB - 30M/year

10th paid LT - 14.5M

10th paid DE/Edge - 17M

I just don't think there's a QB available at 21 this year that will be top 10ish stat wise. Mack has too many limitations, and he was surrounded by an ungodly amount of talent. Trask or Newman could turn out to be very good, but wouldn't take either till our 2nd. And I wouldn't use our capital to move up to take Fields, Wilson, or Lance. I think all 3 have high bust potential. 

53 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My guess is Stafford stays. Lions at number seven are going to miss out most likely on the top 3 QB. Lance would probably still be there or they could move up I guess. But 7 is kind of a weird spot depending on how things fall.

If the Lions get our first rounder for Stafford, it is a slam dunk for them to move up a few spots and gain a 2nd or 3rd rounder from the team they trade with.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I agree, which is why I think Rivers who was top 10ish stat wise, was a value at 25M. 

If we're talking about minimum top 10 at position (for baseline).

10th paid QB - 30M/year

10th paid LT - 14.5M

10th paid DE/Edge - 17M

I just don't think there's a QB available at 21 this year that will be top 10ish stat wise. Mack has too many limitations, and he was surrounded by an ungodly amount of talent. Trask or Newman could turn out to be very good, but wouldn't take either till our 2nd. And I wouldn't use our capital to move up to take Fields, Wilson, or Lance. I think all 3 have high bust potential. 

You don't pick QB for his rookie year, you pick him for the next 10-15 years hopefully. I don't expect him to be great year one. Also... I'm on the record now with my very first mock off-season(you can see it here)  that I would be good with us giving up some assets to move up in the draft for one of the top QBs... We might take a step back next year but... we might take a step back with Rivers too... we have no guarantee he will play at top 10 level either(he's 40 after all). 

1 minute ago, Crush22 said:

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years.

That was like... 20 years ago and he sat behind another legend in Brett Favre. He also was a 1st round pick. Eason is literally the only QB with a contract witht the team right now and they've already said he won't be even competing for the starting spot, before they even know who will be on the team. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

You don't pick QB for his rookie year, you pick him for the next 10-15 years hopefully. I don't expect him to be great year one. Also... I'm on the record now with my very first mock off-season(you can see it here)  that I would be good with us giving up some assets to move up in the draft for one of the top QBs... We might take a step back next year but... we might take a step back with Rivers too... we have no guarantee he will play at top 10 level either(he's 40 after all). 

I don't either, I just don't see a QB I really like this year other than Lawrence. And I'm also not ready to say "2021" is a rebuild... I'll take Rivers back, upgrade the pass D and maybe a WR, and take another shot. And hopefully, some better play calling to go with it. 

I saw your draft. No way I'm giving up 2 first round picks for Lance. I actually like him better than Fields and Wilson, but looking at his 2019 schedule, it's just too much for me looking at his YPG avg and non-D1 comp. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure if it was coming from the Colts but I have distinct memories about arguing with people on here about the Colts' plan for Chad Kelly.

Yeah fans did. The difference with the Zak keefer story was those quotes for Eason came from the organization.  The colts never said anything about Kelly.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

That was like... 20 years ago and he sat behind another legend in Brett Favre. He also was a 1st round pick. Eason is literally the only QB with a contract witht the team right now and they've already said he won't be even competing for the starting spot, before they even know who will be on the team. 

20 years ago?

You sure about that?

BTW....Eason isn't sitting behind Mike Pagel.

It's not like Eason was actually projected to go the fourth round before the draft. He just fell in our lap.

This is a good video of what the colts should do this offseason. Just some highlights. Trade 21 for Wentz. Sign Daryl Williams as a veteran LT. Then sign chris Godwin. He goes through who we should bring back and let go. The salary cap info is wrong and there is a couple other things not right but this would be a hell of a offseason.

Trading 21 for Wentz is hardly a highlight, imo. It's a disaster. 

I'm incredibly unapologetic among my friend group in saying that a move like this would set the Colts back, instead of move us forward. Give me Matt Ryan, or Matt Stafford with a 2nd, and then my interest is peaked. I did like some of the other FA moves for the team, but that first big splash sent chills down my spin. 

6 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I'm incredibly unapologetic among my friend group in saying that a move like this would set the Colts back, instead of move us forward. Give me Matt Ryan, or Matt Stafford with a 2nd, and then my interest is peaked. I did like some of the other FA moves for the team, but that first big splash sent chills down my spin. 

I do think a change in scenery and reuniting him with Reich very well could get him back to where he was. The eagles had a really bad oline with tons d injuries. He might flourish behind a good oline again. 

There are other WR too. You can’t bring TY back and go get a younger upgrade so that will be a bid decision.  Some of these FA might take one year deals until the cap goes back up too.

What is with everyone okay with giving up the 21st pick for wentz? Wentz has been garbage for 3 years now and he’s shown that there’s no way he’s worth the value of a first round pick. Stafford on the other hand is a different story. I’d be perfectly fine with the colts trading the 21st pick for Stafford but I would t be too happy if they did the same with wentz. Wentz stock is so down right now he’s probably worth a 3rd or 4th to teams that are rebuilding. Colts want to win. We have a SB caliber team. I have zero faith wentz would be an upgrade over rivers. I have 100% faith in Stafford being a major upgrade over rivers though. That’s the difference. 

10 minutes ago, Kdeming1230 said:

What is with everyone okay with giving up the 21st pick for wentz? Wentz has been garbage for 3 years now and he’s shown that there’s no way he’s worth the value of a first round pick. Stafford on the other hand is a different story. I’d be perfectly fine with the colts trading the 21st pick for Stafford but I would t be too happy if they did the same with wentz. Wentz stock is so down right now he’s probably worth a 3rd or 4th to teams that are rebuilding. Colts want to win. We have a SB caliber team. I have zero faith wentz would be an upgrade over rivers. I have 100% faith in Stafford being a major upgrade over rivers though. That’s the difference. 

If they decide to go that way I would trust Reich and Ballard. Three years? He was on his way to mvp in 2018. He wasn’t that bad in 2019. The injuries the  eagles have had play a lot into it. Stafford hasn’t done anything so I don’t understand the fascination with him.

What ever they do I trust them to make the right decisions and it will all work out. 

Overall I like it with the exception of Wentz.  I am of the opinion Wentz will stay in Philly.  I think they chose him over Pederson and they give him another year with that contract.  I think Godwin is a great choice at WR.  Robinson is going to demand the attention and money and Godwin I think makes more sense.  Trying to get Williams from Buffalo won't be easy.  I think they will do what it takes to keep him.  So I would focus on Villunave(sp) from Pittsburgh.  I also like the idea of Thuney from the Pats at G and moving Q to tackle.  I could see Q's agent pushing this move for obvious reasons.  I did like the vet's he chose for us to resign.  I thought it was a nice job actually.  To me our direction hinges on the choice Detroit makes.  Do they go full rebuild and use our 1st in a trade for Stafford to move up or do they go with Stafford and trade back in the 1st to get more picks to support him.  So many different ways this could go for us.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Overall I like it with the exception of Wentz.  I am of the opinion Wentz will stay in Philly.  I think they chose him over Pederson and they give him another year with that contract.  I think Godwin is a great choice at WR.  Robinson is going to demand the attention and money and Godwin I think makes more sense.  Trying to get Williams from Buffalo won't be easy.  I think they will do what it takes to keep him.  So I would focus on Villunave(sp) from Pittsburgh.  I also like the idea of Thuney from the Pats at G and moving Q to tackle.  I could see Q's agent pushing this move for obvious reasons.  I did like the vet's he chose for us to resign.  I thought it was a nice job actually.  To me our direction hinges on the choice Detroit makes.  Do they go full rebuild and use our 1st in a trade for Stafford to move up or do they go with Stafford and trade back in the 1st to get more picks to support him.  So many different ways this could go for us.

I do think he stays in Phili. Saw some rumors the coaching change had nothing to do with Wentz. But actually some moves they wanted to make with assistants. The GM wanted some say and Pederson wanted all control. One interesting coaching rumor I saw they want Lincoln Riley. Now that could lead to Wentz being gone if that happened. I think the eagles are kind of a mess organizationally right now. Can Wentz get his confidence back with Hurts there? I don’t know if he can. Eagles need to add a lot of pieces so that could lead them to trade him and take the cap hit.

1 hour ago, Exodus said:

I would trade our 1st round pick for Stafford but I want nothing to do with Wentz, that is just me. I don't get the love for Wentz by some :dunno:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would trade our 1st round pick for Stafford but I want nothing to do with Wentz, that is just me. I don't get the love for Wentz by some :dunno:

I really hope we don't trade a 1st and pay him that much. I just don't see ballard doing that. 99 is top 3 at his position, what is Wentz? I don't see it either. 

https://*/idk82v

According to Schefter new Jets coach Robert Saleh wants to keep Darnold and give him a chance with new staff to prove himself. Schefter said he would be surprised if Darnold is not the starting QB for the Jets next season and they will entertain offers for no. 2.

Given our connections with the Jets, is it possible we make a bid for no. 2?

Archived