Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To me if your not drafting a QB in the first round it’s just a waste of a pick. Why waste one in the second when you have Eason.  You don’t take a flyer on a QB in the second.

I think their will be some great choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Not sure how far Trask has fallen since being benched in his bowl game.  He was terrible but that doesn't mean he can't be a good pro.

Jaime Newman as someone else mentioned.  True dual threat, had a great career at Wake Forest and transferred to Ga and opted out due to covid.  Had he played he may go in the top 5 qbs.

He's flying under the radar but he could be a real steal.  Draft Newman and have him compete with Eason.

So you have Eason who is your pocket passer, maybe Trask or Newman who can be mobile and accurate.

13 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think their will be some great choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Not sure how far Trask has fallen since being benched in his bowl game.  He was terrible but that doesn't mean he can't be a good pro.

Jaime Newman as someone else mentioned.  True dual threat, had a great career at Wake Forest and transferred to Ga and opted out due to covid.  Had he played he may go in the top 5 qbs.

He's flying under the radar but he could be a real steal.  Draft Newman and have him compete with Eason.

So you have Eason who is your pocket passer, maybe Trask or Newman who can be mobile and accurate.

That could happen. Then have a QB completion in 22. Trask didn’t look mobile to me. I have seen some of Newman when he was at wake forest. He killed himself taking the year off. Especially with no combine.

This has to be the offseason that we aquire our future QB. The only QB we have on the roster is Eason. We’ve been waiting two years now for CB to make the move, this has to be the one offseason to do it. Just look at what an old washed up rivers did for this team. We’re a stellar QB away from being a championship caliber team. Another year of rivers or some kind of bridge QB will produce the same results as this year. We must get high level QB play to compete in the AFC. Here’s a list of what could happen.

Draft a QB- this is my main hope. I know that the first year would be a learning curve but we’d still be a young talented team year 2. We pick 22nd this year, so a trade up would be needed to grab our guy. Trade this years 22nd w/ our second rd pick and next years 1st would move us into the top 10. At some point you have to mortgage assets to fix the problem (Buckner last year)

Stafford- he’s still got 3-4 good years left. I believe he’s talented enough to get this team over the hump. Draft capital should be cheaper. Maybe a 1st gets it done? 

Watson- I know it’s a pipe dream but hear me out. Most wouldn’t wanna give up what it takes to get him. It’s going to be pricey, but for the colts I think it’s well worth it. He’d be coming to a team that already has the pieces. Great oline, great run game, a decent set of wr’s with potential. He would automatically make us super bowl contenders yearly. I would send two 1st rounders and 2nd rounders and see what happens. Again at some point you have to swing for the fences for the most valuable piece.

Matt Ryan- probably my last choice but Matty would give us a better chance. I think falcons are about to start over and get a jump on that division, with brees and Brady not for from retiring. Would maybe only cost us this years 1st. 

Darnold- I’m interested in him due the price more than the potential. I do think we’d see a better version under Reich. He’s young and still has some talent. Really hard to evaluate him due to playing for such a crap franchise. He’d have all the things needed to turn it around here.

Too sum it all up. This must be the year we get right at the QB position for the next 3-5 years. We’re on the verge of QB purgatory. Rivers played well this year, but more is needed. Here’s to hoping CB swings for the fences. 

I highly doubt Darnold is on the table now that the Jets aren't going to be getting Trevor Lawrence. 

We have been waiting 1 year for a franchise QB. Not 2. Andrew retired 10 days before season opener the year before that. So your first year that you're lumping into this, we did have a franchise QB and his name was Andrew Luck. 

Third thing, irsay let's Ballard do what he wants, except the QB position. Irsay has a say in that. And Irsay says to be patient. Irsay has always had final say in who the QB to be drafted is. 

4th thing. Eason may just be that franchise QB. Dont throw him out just because he was drafted in the 4th round. A projected 2nd round pick. Let's see what happens in preseason. You dojt rush the QB position unless there's a legit one there. Fans really have a hard time understanding this. Theres a reason a lot of teams who have traded up for one, are still in the dumps. Bad GMs do this. 

Theres a reason Ballard is a top 5 GM. Because he won't mortgage the future. 

Its not time to panic. 

So... A scenario that I hadn't yet considered just came to mind, I thought I'd already considered ALL.

What if Denver decides to move on from Lock and take a QB @ pick 9. Are we (you) interested in a draft day trade? I think I like Lock more than Darnold tbh.

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I highly doubt Darnold is on the table now that the Jets aren't going to be getting Trevor Lawrence. 

We have been waiting 1 year for a franchise QB. Not 2. Andrew retired 10 days before season opener the year before that. So your first year that you're lumping into this, we did have a franchise QB and his name was Andrew Luck. 

Third thing, irsay let's Ballard do what he wants, except the QB position. Irsay has a say in that. And Irsay says to be patient. Irsay has always had final say in who the QB to be drafted is. 

4th thing. Eason may just be that franchise QB. Dont throw him out just because he was drafted in the 4th round. A projected 2nd round pick. Let's see what happens in preseason. You dojt rush the QB position unless there's a legit one there. Fans really have a hard time understanding this. Theres a reason a lot of teams who have traded up for one, are still in the dumps. Bad GMs do this. 

Theres a reason Ballard is a top 5 GM. Because he won't mortgage the future. 

Its not time to panic. 

I’d rather ride with Eason. If he proves to be good, awesome problem solved. If he sucks we’d be picking in the top end next year and able to draft a QB. Just no more bridge QB’s that give you no legitimate chance at beating top level teams and also put you in the back end of the draft. 

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

To me if your not drafting a QB in the first round it’s just a waste of a pick. Why waste one in the second when you have Eason.  You don’t take a flyer on a QB in the second.

Favre, Brees, Carr, Esiason, Cunningham, and Dalton all say hi from the 2nd...

and this guy from the 6th says howdy too

200.gif

Zak keeper has a new story on Eason. Mentions in here that he was told that they believe Eason is a year away from competing for the starting job. His exit interviews went really well.  They may actually be looking at him as the future. Not to say they can’t fall in love with someone in the draft but it sounds promising he might get a shot. If they feel strong about him they might just roll with rivers another year and not look at anyone other veteran options.

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

I’d rather ride with Eason. If he proves to be good, awesome problem solved. If he sucks we’d be picking in the top end next year and able to draft a QB. Just no more bridge QB’s that give you no legitimate chance at beating top level teams and also put you in the back end of the draft. 

Id definitely be open to that for sure. I really want to see what the kids got.  

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Zak keeper has a new story on Eason. Mentions in here that he was told that they believe Eason is a year away from competing for the starting job. His exit interviews went really well.  They may actually be looking at him as the future. Not to say they can’t fall in love with someone in the draft but it sounds promising he might get a shot. If they feel strong about him they might just roll with rivers another year and not look at anyone other veteran options.

If we cannot get another vet like Stafford or Carr, double down on Rivers, go all in next year in free agency and draft on OL and defense with 1 marquee WR signed in free agency. Let Eason back up Rivers.

It should not be assumed that throwing in Eason (if the Colts think he's the guy), or a 2021 draft pick at QB is going to result in the Colts regressing. Some recent examples include:

Seahawks - Went 7-9. Started Wilson and went 11-5

49ers - Went 13-3. Started Kap and went 11-4-1

Ravens - Went 10-6. Started Jackson and went 14-2

Chiefs - Went 10-6. Started Mahomes and went 12-4

Chargers - Went 5-11 (with Rivers). Started Herbert and went 7-9.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples that go the other direction, but just wanted to point out that throwing in a rookie or 2nd year QB doesn't automatically mean you go backwards, even if the pick isn't a Luck type/can't miss college prospect.

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

It should not be assumed that throwing in Eason (if the Colts think he's the guy), or a 2021 draft pick at QB is going to result in the Colts regressing. Some recent examples include:

Seahawks - Went 7-9. Started Wilson and went 11-5

49ers - Went 13-3. Started Kap and went 11-4-1

Ravens - Went 10-6. Started Jackson and went 14-2

Chiefs - Went 10-6. Started Mahomes and went 12-4

Chargers - Went 5-11 (with Rivers). Started Herbert and went 7-9.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples that go the other direction, but just wanted to point out that throwing in a rookie or 2nd year QB doesn't automatically mean you go backwards, even if the pick isn't a Luck type/can't miss college prospect.

That is why if they draft or believe  Eason is the future Rivers should be brought back one more year.

Remember Ballard being very harsh about Eason right after the draft. After they had those scrimmages at LOS he had a lot of praise. Going you seen how talented he is. If he has the mental capacity with that arm he can be the guy. 

Ir makes me very giddy thinking about Eason with Pittman and hopefully Campbell. Then add Taylor we would have such a fun young offense. 

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Matt Delany on the stampede blue podcast also mentioned he thinks this is the wrong time to go give everything away for a QB in the draft or trade . He is very high on Eason. He goes why do that when you can bring Rivers back and have Eason in your back pocket.

I'm not saying Eason is the answer, but I have no problem riding with Eason going into next season. I'm sure we can even bring back Brissett cheap to create competition if the colts wanna go in that direction. Imo, there is no way we spend 20+ on Rivers or any other vet QB with the limited cap we have and the number of free agents hitting the market that need to be re-signed.

38 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not saying Eason is the answer, but I have no problem riding with Eason going into next season. I'm sure we can even bring back Brissett cheap to create competition if the colts wanna go in that direction. Imo, there is no way we spend 20+ on Rivers or any other vet QB with the limited cap we have and the number of free agents hitting the market that need to be re-signed.

To be clear he was saying bring rivers back. 

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yea, but how? We sign Rivers, that's 20+ mil we can't use to re-sign guys like Hilton Houston and Rhodes

Re-signing Smith, Leonard and Rhodes should be higher priorities than Hilton and Houston, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Russell Wilson says hi as well from deck 3rd round lmao 

Dak Prescott from the 4th round says hi too... :) 

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well now we have 16 million back we can. Plus with the cap going down some of these guys aren’t going to get what you think.

Knowing the colts, I can see them letting AC keep his money or atleast some of it

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you don't know much about Lance, Youtube him. I have actually seen him play live when they played a game last year on ESPN, he reminds me of Watson but he is taller.

I like Lance. I was talking about taking a flyer on a guy like trask or Jones.  I see no point in wasting your second pick on them when we have Eason. Lance i would really like.

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No his guarantees were already paid. The contract was actually structured great. By retiring he walked away from 16 million.  He has made 72 million is his career though.

It's not always that simple, even with AC off the books, Spotrac has our cap space at 68 mil

Archived