Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too because we need a QB that we know will at least be good next season. We are in win now mode. Rivers was good for the most part, Stafford I think would be good too. I would love Watson here but we would have to give up a lot to get him in a trade. If our QB isn't at least good then there is no way we beat teams like KC, Buffalo, or Baltimore.

Bold prediction  Eason starts and leads league  in td passes 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too because we need a QB that we know will at least be good next season. We are in win now mode. Rivers was good for the most part, Stafford I think would be good too. I would love Watson here but we would have to give up a lot to get him in a trade. If are QB isn't at least good then there is no way we beat teams like KC, Buffalo, or Baltimore.

I doubt Ballard would mortgage the future right now. We're pretty solid. I could see him giving a 1st, and maybe a later round pick, but no more than one 1st. 

Anyway, I'd bet money Rivers is back, and I'm perfectly OK with that. I could also see JB coming back as a backup on a 1-2M deal after he explores FA. And I'd be OK with that too. I think the most likely scenario is Rivers starting, and Eason as the backup. I'd be more than happy with that. Folks that are unhappy with a top 10 passing O, and would prefer to give up a ton of draft capital or take a shot at questionable rookie, need to have themselves checked out. Rivers is no where near the reason we lost last weekend.

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm saying our team plays to Jones' strength. He isn't going to extend plays but behind our line should have plenty of time to make plays. 

If he lands on the right team he has strong chance to succeed .

Like I said above, its difficult to evaluate Alabama's offensive players because their defensive opposition is so much less talented. 

Jones will not be throwing to receivers WIDE OPEN in NFL.

Jones will not always have a clean pocket in NFL.

Jones swing passes to his backs will not go for first downs/TD's  as easily in NFL.

He may be Good, he may be great. He may be a Bust and not even be a decent backup. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I doubt Ballard would mortgage the future right now. We're pretty solid. I could see him giving a 1st, and maybe a later round pick, but no more than one 1st. 

Anyway, I'd bet money Rivers is back, and I'm perfectly OK with that. I could also see JB coming back as a backup on a 1-2M deal after he explores FA. And I'd be OK with that too. I think the most likely scenario is Rivers starting, and Eason as the backup. I'd be more than happy with that. Folks that are unhappy with a top 10 passing O, and would prefer to give up a ton of draft capital or take a shot at questionable rookie, need to have themselves checked out. Rivers is no where near the reason we lost last weekend.

If Rivers just plays like he did this season we will be dangerous. We should be better next season as a team with JT and Pittman having a year under their belt + a full draft.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Rivers just plays like he did this season we will be dangerous. We should be better next season as a team with JT and Pittman having a year under their belt + a full draft.

Top 10 OL returning, Top 10 RB returning.... 

On top of that, which is half the battle, he'll have more chemistry with pass catchers. He had good chemistry with Campbell prior to getting hurt. MAC is an ERFA and should be back. TY and Pascals are really the only holes, and we could easily resign them. Pascal is a RFA IIRC. Just Campbell being healthy would be a huge plus for the O. And if they still have Qs about him, or don't want to bring back TY or Pascal, this year is a good WR draft class. There's also some great FAs. Godwin, Robinson, Golladay, Fuller, JuJu, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, etc..

Just now, Stephen said:

Naw see more marvin Harrison  in smith. Don't see the rivers mac jones comparison 

Rivers is a great comparison because both are accurate and both aren't known to escape the pocket 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

On top of that, which is half the battle, he'll have more chemistry with pass catchers. He had good chemistry with Campbell prior to getting hurt. MAC is an ERFA and should be back. TY and Pascals are really the only holes, and we could easily resign them. Pascal is a RFA IIRC. Just Campbell being healthy would be a huge plus for the O. And if they still have Qs about him, or don't want to bring back TY or Pascal, this year is a good WR draft class. There's also some great FAs. Godwin, Robinson, Golladay, Fuller, JuJu, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, etc..

please no juju can't stand that clown 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Robinson would be a great fit here.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Robinson would be a great fit here.

He's going to cost a bunch, and with the holes we need to fill, not sure if we go big on a WR. I'd guess Robinson will want 20/year and 3-4 years. 

If we do look to add a WR, I'd draft. Or take a shot on a FA that might come cheap (no more than 10ish a year). There's a couple WRs I'd take a shot at in the 2nd or 3rd (St Brown, Olave, Rodgers, etc.). I've yet to dig into the draft prospects, but there's some good ones.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's going to cost a bunch, and with the holes we need to fill, not sure if we go big on a WR. I'd guess Robinson will want 20/year and 3-4 years. 

If we do look to add a WR, I'd draft. Or take a shot on a FA that might come cheap (no more than 10ish a year). There's a couple WRs I'd take a shot at in the 2nd or 3rd (St Brown, Olave, Rodgers, etc.). I've yet to dig into the draft prospects, but there's some good ones.

Robinson: I want 20/year

Ballard:

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why is there hype around MAC Jones. All he does is dump it to his playmakers. He doesn’t look like a starting NFL QB. Meanwhile fields has already made several NFL throws and looks like a nfl starter.

I agree Mac has bust written all over. Remember AJ McCarron, reminds me of that. He is fools gold a product of a system.

7 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

“Proven QB” who hasn’t won a playoff game in 3 attempts despite top D and Calvin Johnson.  

His stats are worse than Rivers, both career and 2020. 

What has he proven other than a stronger arm and more mobility? You guys act like those traits make a QB more effective when that’s often not the case. 

Wasn’t Chad Kelly one of the fastest players in the league and possessed a cannon? I wonder why Ballard got rid of him if those traits are essential to success. 

He's been surrounded by bad teams his whole career.  Look at his play instead of his stats.  

Yes, arm, mobility and accuracy are the traits that make a QB effective.  He also processes reads as good as any QB in the league.  Put him behind a decent line and you'll have all the stats you want, if that's your thing.

However, to compare him to Chad Kelly is ridiculous.  I hope you were being sarcastic.

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He's been surrounded by bad teams his whole career.  Look at his play instead of his stats.  

Yes, arm, mobility and accuracy are the traits that make a QB effective.  He also processes reads as good as any QB in the league.  Put him behind a decent line and you'll have all the stats you want, if that's your thing.

However, to compare him to Chad Kelly is ridiculous.  I hope you were being sarcastic.

As others have said, I think great QBs generally elevate their teams and mask a lot of flaws. Herbert looked amazing despite an atrocious offensive line and a terrible running game when Ekeler was out for weeks, and a defense that couldn’t maintain 21 point leads. Not to mention an *ic coach. His teammates didn’t receive a single all pro vote. Yet he was outstanding. 

Yes there are exceptions like Tannehill with Miami but that’s rare. 

I think it’s risky to spend draft capital on a vet who is in fact unproven in terms of the Colts goal of playoff success. But I trust the Colts know what they are doing and would do their diligence. What do his former teammates say about him? Rivers is universally praised by teammates.  

I didn’t mean to compare him to Chad Kelly. I’m saying that if arm and mobility are so important to success (2/3 of the traits you stated above) then why are so many mobile QBs with strong arms like Kelly unsuccessful?

9 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

As others have said, I think great QBs generally elevate their teams and mask a lot of flaws. Herbert looked amazing despite an atrocious offensive line and a terrible running game when Ekeler was out for weeks, and a defense that couldn’t maintain 21 point leads. Not to mention an *ic coach. His teammates didn’t receive a single all pro vote. Yet he was outstanding. 

Yes there are exceptions like Tannehill with Miami but that’s rare. 

I think it’s risky to spend draft capital on a vet who is in fact unproven in terms of the Colts goal of playoff success. But I trust the Colts know what they are doing and would do their diligence. What do his former teammates say about him? Rivers is universally praised by teammates.  

I didn’t mean to compare him to Chad Kelly. I’m saying that if arm and mobility are so important to success (2/3 of the traits you stated above) then why are so many mobile QBs with strong arms like Kelly unsuccessful?

Was reading an article  that compared  Eason to Justin Herbert. 

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The Smith Green comparison i don't get but I understand others 

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Naw see more marvin Harrison  in smith. Don't see the rivers mac jones comparison 

I don’t know his size but smith looks a lot smaller than green and Harrison.  Slight in weight at least but not to tall either.   His ability is a fair comparison.  He tore it up.  

‘’it will be interesting to see his measurements at the combine 

My question on Eason and being a 4th rounder is this. Do fourth rounders usually not succeed because they are never given the chance? Are they drafted as a backup to a star QB? So therefore they don’t get a chance. Eason might be in a unique situation since we don’t have the future. Maybe Ballard will talk more about him Thursday in his media presser.

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Was reading an article  that compared  Eason to Justin Herbert. 

Eason and Herbert played each other in 2019 and reports at the time were that Eason was the better QB. 

Who knows? I don’t see why he couldn’t be ready this year.  One year of learning on the bench is quite a luxury that early draft picks no longer have. 

1 hour ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Eason and Herbert played each other in 2019 and reports at the time were that Eason was the better QB. 

Who knows? I don’t see why he couldn’t be ready this year.  One year of learning on the bench is quite a luxury that early draft picks no longer have. 

Reich did say he would like Rivers to come back and talked him up.  Probably posturing a little but it would be extremely risky on the Colts part to start next year with a 4th string QB who has not taken a snap yet.  Look what that 1st loss to the Jags did to our season last year.  And now we are going to turn this team over to Eason and significantly increase the risk of missing the playoffs.  I can't see that scenario at all.  A veteran will lead this team next year.  

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

My question on Eason and being a 4th rounder is this. Do fourth rounders usually not succeed because they are never given the chance? Are they drafted as a backup to a star QB? So therefore they don’t get a chance. Eason might be in a unique situation since we don’t have the future. Maybe Ballard will talk more about him Thursday in his media presser.

I agree with you some guys may never look like the man at practice but somehow get it done in a game. Kelly gets bashed all the time, but he played pretty damn good in preseason and I still think hes a better qb than some starters in the league. Guy never got a chance. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Maybe with Castanzo retiring, that might factor into Rivers decision? 

I'd like to see a 1st round and Brissett to Lions for Stafford. 

I don't want to lose Dodds, but if he becomes their GM, maybe that can help make this happen. 

Brissett is FA.

Hopefully like you said as well though, hopefully we don't lose Dodds.

Of we do lose Dodds to them though, hopefully that could open a dialogue about Stafford, should Rivers retire.

Stafford cap hit if traded to us:

2021- $20m

2022 - $23m

More than manageable with AC retiring.

Last night I was watching some Trask highlights. That guy can make s lot of nfl throws. But he isn’t one that can extend plays. 

I saw a tweet by Will Carol today that NFL scouts for the AFC south expect the colts to take trade out of the first and pick up a extra second.  They will then take the tackle from ND and then trade back up for Trask or Jones. I don’t think either of those guys is worth wasting a second rounder on. You don’t take flyer in the second.

51 minutes ago, w87r said:

Brissett is FA.

Hopefully like you said as well though, hopefully we don't lose Dodds.

Of we do lose Dodds to them though, hopefully that could open a dialogue about Stafford, should Rivers retire.

Stafford cap hit if traded to us:

2021- $20m

2022 - $23m

More than manageable with AC retiring.

Versus Rivers at most likely $25m for 2021.   I sure hope they go for a rebuild and make him available.  

Starting QB for Colts in 2021 Ryan Fitzpatrick lol

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

One thing I noticed from the Trask highlights is that Florida offense looked more like a traditional NFL offense. That Alabama offense does not and Jones never has to work hard for anything. I will go back and watch more of his highlights though. 

Check out his bowl game to, where he got benched

Archived