Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor

JediXMan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Despite his up and down year he can still end the season near or at 1000 yards. Not a bad for a rookie RB learning and improving as he goes.

Don't forget his receiving yards as well. He's been a serviceable receiving back also. Definitely getting better every game.

I was frustrated that they weren’t using him enough.  

But I understand that they’re keeping him fresh until the 4th.  Ideally, you use him to wear down the defense when you have a lead at the end of the game.

And for goodness sake, put him (and JB) in on 4th and 1!

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But I understand that they’re keeping him fresh until the 4th.  Ideally, you use him to wear down the defense when you have a lead at the end of the game.

Reich reading this...

Blind GIF by memecandy

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Why when you have Hines the best runner of this team and mobile QB as Rivers?

Just Do It Running GIF by Rocky

I think Johnathon Taylor can and will be great Walter Payton rookie year has been very similar to what Taylor is doing this year. I mean Payton rookie year was 3.5 yards per carry and Taylors is 4.1 a carry. Payton had 679 total yards on 196 atts and right now Taylor 609 on 148 atts. So those of you who don't believe in this kid be patient because he's coming he's having a very similar year to a all time greats rookie year who became a hall of famer. 

It looks like the game is starting to slow down for JT.  This last game he had a few runs where he read the block and ran into the whole instead of running into the back of one his blockers like in the beginning of the season.  He even had a beautiful cut to the outside on his long run.  His pass receiving has proved a lot of critics wrong, he has shown good hands and a asset and dangerous threat as a receiver out of the backfield.   

IMO, he reminds me, as far as body type, speed and physicality, RB Ricky Williams of the Dolphins, not the RW of our Colts who was OK

6 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I think Johnathon Taylor can and will be great Walter Payton rookie year has been very similar to what Taylor is doing this year. I mean Payton rookie year was 3.5 yards per carry and Taylors is 4.1 a carry. Payton had 679 total yards on 196 atts and right now Taylor 609 on 148 atts. So those of you who don't believe in this kid be patient because he's coming he's having a very similar year to a all time greats rookie year who became a hall of famer. 

Different eras entirely

14 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Wonder if Nickster who was critical of my posts praising him early in the season has come around yet or still holding out ?

No he's looked good running the last two games.  Commented in several places about it.  

Still think it was an overdraft, but encouraged by the one cut ability that he's showing.  That is the only way he will be successful as a runner IMO.

Love me some JT.  Agree with most of the positive posts on this thread.

On my "wish list" is for him to be a bit more elusive on some of his runs.  There was criticism earlier in the year from some who didn't like that he went down too easily.  I think most of that has been *fixed*, but I thought he looked more elusive in some of his college film.  I have seen one very good juke in the hole in one game earlier in the year, but I haven't seen as much of that since.  Just something to wish for for Christmas.  :default_20smile:

42 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Love me some JT.  Agree with most of the positive posts on this thread.

On my "wish list" is for him to be a bit more elusive on some of his runs.  There was criticism earlier in the year from some who didn't like that he went down too easily.  I think most of that has been *fixed*, but I thought he looked more elusive in some of his college film.  I have seen one very good juke in the hole in one game earlier in the year, but I haven't seen as much of that since.  Just something to wish for for Christmas.  :default_20smile:

I agree...that's the area I hope to see improve. Right now the Colts don't really have any elusive RBs. They have a fast, powerful RB who should be tough to tackle (Taylor), a fast little guy who needs open space to run (Hines) and another guy who has good vision and takes what is blocked (Wilkins).

Interestingly, Wilkins has been far more elusive than Taylor or Hines...which shows just how not elusive those two are/have been.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re not the first to say this.   Is this honestly your view?   Do you really think Taylor is a better receiver than Hines?   Really?   

Yea he has caught 29 of 30 targets. He is the best recieving back we've had in a long time.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re not the first to say this.   Is this honestly your view?   Do you really think Taylor is a better receiver than Hines?   Really?   

Kind of hard to argue when he has just missed one pass the whole season. 

That's not saying he is better than Hines but he is better when it comes to catching the ball. 

I am glad we have both but I don't like pitting one against the other. 

He has 271 yds after catching 29 of 30 passes.

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

No he's looked good running the last two games.  Commented in several places about it.  

Still think it was an overdraft, but encouraged by the one cut ability that he's showing.  That is the only way he will be successful as a runner IMO.

Glad you are seeing the light my friend. .....think you will feel it even more...

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kind of hard to argue when he has just missed one pass the whole season. 

That's not saying he is better than Hines but he is better when it comes to catching the ball. 

I am glad we have both but I don't like pitting one against the other. 

He has 271 yds after catching 29 of 30 passes.

I don’t think that’s hard to argue — at all.  Not even a little.     Hines has nearly 20 more receptions.   Yes, they are throwing to him more.   And that’s because he’s the better receiver.   

I think Ballard, Reich, Sirianni, Rathman, and especially Rivers would STRONGLY disagree with you.  Why do you think we’ve thrown to Hines far more?    A converted Wide Receiver learning how to be a running back at the NFL level.   

This isn’t hard to argue.  

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think that’s hard to argue — at all.  Not even a little.     Hines has nearly 20 more receptions.   Yes, they are throwing to him more.   And that’s because he’s the better receiver.   

I think Ballard, Reich, Sirianni, Rathman, and especially Rivers would STRONGLY disagree with you.  Why do you think we’ve thrown to Hines far more?    A converted Wide Receiver learning how to be a running back at the NFL level.   

My point is it's not a competition and they both do what is ask of them. 

It can switch from game to game as the opinion of some may think is better. 

Three weeks ago Taylor was either seen as not good enough OR not being utilized to his strengths. 

Knee jerk reactions are pretty common as we both know. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Three weeks ago Taylor was either seen as not good enough OR not being utilized to his strengths. 

It's not a competition. Saying JT is a better receiver than Hines is like saying... JT is a better receiver than TY. It's objectively wrong. No competition.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hines is not "a converted WR"

Hines was a RB in HS who had 2200+ yards rushing his senior year, and only about 200 yards receiving. He had over 5500 yards rushing his last two seasons and set several state records (while also running track). He was listed as and RB/APB/ATH depending on what recruiting service you follow because he lacked the prototypical RB size. In college, he was used as both his first two years, but was primarily a RB his last year (junior) at NC State when he had 1100ish rushing and 100ish receiving. 

In the draft, he was considered very raw from receiver perspective, which would be just the opposite of what you are suggesting. He was simply a slight guy who played primarily RB, with a ton of speed which translates into an APB and STs threat.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes, not a competition, but also pretty silly for some to assume either is better or worse at this point. JT is not even through year one, and wasn't used a lot catching in college due to the bell cow system Wiscy runs. His ceiling is unknown, but the small sample size we do have, suggest he will be very good as a catching threat....

Taylor's average receiving yards per game this year (24.6) is higher than Hines' average through his first two years (23.3), and his catch % (96.7) is far better than Hines' catch % this year (81%) and career (78.2). Taylors YPR (9.3) is also higher than Hines' this year (8.2), and career (7.3).

To soon to say who is better, but silly to say things like "I don’t think that’s hard to argue — at all.  Not even a little."

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, not a competition, but also pretty silly for some to assume either is better or worse at this point. JT is not even through year one, and wasn't used a lot catching in college due to the bell cow system Wiscy runs. His ceiling is unknown, but the small sample size we do have, suggest he will be very good as a catching threat....

Taylor's average receiving yards per game this year (24.6) is higher than Hines' average through his first two years (23.3), and his catch % (96.7) is far better than Hines' catch % this year (81%) and career (78.2). Taylors YPR (9.3) is also higher than Hines' this year (8.2), and career (7.3).

To soon to say who is better, but silly to say things like "I don’t think that’s hard to argue — at all.  Not even a little."

Both backs have great speed and that is needed to win games. Taylor has more power. I like both.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both backs have great speed and that is needed to win games. Taylor has more power. I like both.

Yup. IMO Taylor will clearly be the best "complete" RB we have based on what we've seen so far. As far a catching back, they both look very good and it's hard to tell who will be best over the long term. If Taylor continues to play at this level in both phases, he'll be the least predictable option to have on the field. It's a great problem to have.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. IMO Taylor will clearly be the best "complete" RB we have based on what we've seen so far. As far a catching back, they both look very good and it's hard to tell who will be best over the long term. If Taylor continues to play at this level in both phases, he'll be the least predictable option to have on the field. It's a great problem to have.

I agree. What I like is he seems to be getting better and hitting holes better. 

Archived