Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and the Playoff Picture

funktacious2

So now we sit at the 7th seed. Looking at the remaining schedules for teams in the hunt and how we are playing, how good do you think our chances are to make it to the post-season?

My thoughts: 

I think the Browns are in and the Bills likely will hold the top of their division. I think Baltimore, if they can win their game tomorrow, have a great shot of going 3-1 in their last 4 games and making it in. 

The Colts definitely still have a shot at the division, but I think our schedule is no easier than the Titans from here on and the Titans still have that better division record. They just got walluped, but I like their odds to clean up the rest of their division matches and to nab a win against the Lions.

I think the real race for the 7th spot is between us, the Dolphins, the Raiders, and to a smaller degree the Patriots. I think the Dolphins are out. They have the hardest remaining schedule, one of the hardest in the league in fact. They also have a match up against the Raiders which may prove critical. The Raiders I think may all come down to beating us. If they beat us their chances are pretty decent, their schedule after us is a bit easier than ours.

As for us? We all know already we need to win most of the rest of our games. At this point I think 3-1 definitely gets us in as long as one of those is against the Raiders. If we go 2-2 and still beat the Raiders our chances are still reasonable, but that would mean some fortune for us in the Dolphins doing poorly and the Patriots not having a late season surge.

No matter what happens, I already think this 7th playoff spot was an awesome idea, it's going to be real tight for some teams, the NFC is looking fun to watch as well.

How do you guys see the rest of the season shaping up?

1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

So now we sit at the 7th seed. Looking at the remaining schedules for teams in the hunt and how we are playing, how good do you think our chances are to make it to the post-season?

My thoughts: 

I think the Browns are in and the Bills likely will hold the top of their division. I think Baltimore, if they can win their game tomorrow, have a great shot of going 3-1 in their last 4 games and making it in. 

The Colts definitely still have a shot at the division, but I think our schedule is no easier than the Titans from here on and the Titans still have that better division record. They just got walluped, but I like their odds to clean up the rest of their division matches and to nab a win against the Lions.

I think the real race for the 7th spot is between us, the Dolphins, the Raiders, and to a smaller degree the Patriots. I think the Dolphins are out. They have the hardest remaining schedule, one of the hardest in the league in fact. They also have a match up against the Raiders which may prove critical. The Raiders I think may all come down to beating us. If they beat us their chances are pretty decent, their schedule after us is a bit easier than ours.

As for us? We all know already we need to win most of the rest of our games. At this point I think 3-1 definitely gets us in as long as one of those is against the Raiders. If we go 2-2 and still beat the Raiders our chances are still reasonable, but that would mean some fortune for us in the Dolphins doing poorly and the Patriots not having a late season surge.

No matter what happens, I already think this 7th playoff spot was an awesome idea, it's going to be real tight for some teams, the NFC is looking fun to watch as well.

How do you guys see the rest of the season shaping up?

If the Ravens get in, that means we’re out. They’re currently the 9th seed and 3rd in their division. Which includes...the Browns and Steelers. There is no scenario barring a complete meltdown by either the Steelers or Browns where if the Ravens get in, that we will too without winning the AFC South. Which requires the Titans to loose at least one more game and Colts to win out. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If the Ravens get in, that means we’re out. They’re currently the 9th seed and 3rd in their division. Which includes...the Browns and Steelers. There is no scenario barring a complete meltdown by either the Steelers or Browns where if the Ravens get in, that we will too without winning the AFC South. Which requires the Titans to loose at least one more game and Colts to win out. 

There are three wildcard spots. In the scenarios I mentioned the Dolphins would be losing out on a spot not us. Essentially the Ravens would be taking Miami's spot. I don't only think it IS a possible scenario, I think it is a reasonable scenario.

I don't think there's any way to know.  I'm not being facetious, I just think trying to predict this league is very difficult.  After what we saw just yesterday, I can't even predict it.  The Steelers or titans or Colts are just as likely to lose as any other team IMHO.

But I still think the Colts have an excellent chance to make the playoffs, particularly if they can get to 10 wins.  And momentum > seeding, particularly THIS season with little home field advantage.  I think we will see that in the playoffs this year moreso than ever.  Just get in.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Ahh I forgot about Miami. But I still think they’ll get in. Heck, with some luck, they could leap the bills and win their divisions either way, we need to win out. That’s how we control our destiny. Even 3 and 1 should get us there

Yeah, I definitely might be placing too much faith in the Bills to stay the course. But the Dolphins despite being a good team have the following schedule: Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders, Bills. If I were to predict that stretch I'd say they go 1-3 and maybe 2-2. They could certainly surprise me, but it's going to be a tough ask of them to win their way to the playoffs. They may need luck.

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't think there's any way to know.  I'm not being facetious, I just think trying to predict this league is very difficult.  After what we saw just yesterday, I can't even predict it.  The Steelers or titans or Colts are just as likely to lose as any other team IMHO.

But I still think the Colts have an excellent chance to make the playoffs, particularly if they can get to 10 wins.

I also think 10 wins will do it as long as one of those is the Raiders (preventing them from beating us with the tie-breaker). We could definitely still lose in the scenario if the Dolphins play lights out the rest of the way and if Baltimore wins tomorrow and then goes 3-1 (which the definitely could).

I think this team has the capability to play with the best and to lose to the worst, depending on who's injured.

Without AC it's going to be tough to win a playoff game, or even make the playoffs.

Reich called a horrible game yesterday.  He's a smart guy, let's hope he learned from it.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’m absolutely shocked that the browns may get into the playoffs and the Ravens don’t make it in and are third in their division. Never saw that coming to start 2020. 

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think this team has the capability to play with the best and to lose to the worst, depending on who's injured.

Without AC it's going to be tough to win a playoff game, or even make the playoffs.

Reich called a horrible game yesterday.  He's a smart guy, let's hope he learned from it.

From reading all the game posts this season from fans and sports writers and the podcasts, I have little trust that Frank has learned anything from the way he manages games. Don’t we still do the same stupid things fans have complained about from week 1 up to yesterday? Use of Hines up the gut has been tried 100 times with success on 5% (made up numbers here fwiw). Not Using JT as a bell cow while he is getting hot during a game, instead, they insert Hines or Wilkins and then a drive stall? The use of MAC has really been head scratching as I’d assume his numbers would be higher on stat sheets usage as a pass catcher in the red zone from Rivers. Does the team use MAC and Pittman on the same play in the redzone for those 50/50 balls they should absolutely be winning? 

I think Reich has proven to be an adequate play Caller in Indy. He may be able to design some wonderful formations but his using them at the right time with the right personnel has been extremely questionable in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't care who Colts play if they get to the playoffs.

If it's the Chiefs...

Come Here Lets Go GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Agreed.

If the Colts make the playoffs who they play makes no difference to me. 

To advance they have to beat any team including the Chiefs or the Steelers. 

49 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Does the team use MAC and Pittman on the same play in the redzone for those 50/50 balls they should absolutely be winning? 

I think Reich has proven to be an adequate play Caller in Indy. He may be able to design some wonderful formations but his using them at the right time with the right personnel has been extremely questionable in my opinion. 

We don't want to be in the position of having Rivers throw 50-50 balls. That is where he throws interceptions. 

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ahh I forgot about Miami. But I still think they’ll get in. Heck, with some luck, they could leap the bills and win their divisions either way, we need to win out. That’s how we control our destiny. Even 3 and 1 should get us there

I see a scenario  the Patriots  get in and don't  want it to happen 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not necessarily. Look at their schedules...

BAL - CLE, JAC, NYG and CIN

MIA - KC, NE, LV and BUF

IF BAL wins tonight...and the next two (against CLE and JAC)...and MIA loses against KC and NE...they would flip. That seems fairly likely.

Then BAL would be in the driver's seat...with the NYG and CIN left...while MIA would still have to play LV and BUF. MIA has proven they can beat good teams...but there is a decent chance that they finish 2-2 or worse over the last 4. 

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I see a scenario  the Patriots  get in and don't  want it to happen 

It would take a lot of things to break right for them. They have to win out to get to 10-6...and then get some serious help. But they do have the tiebreaker over the Colts...so the Colts really can't afford to go worse than 3-1 down the stretch.

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Dolphins won't get in. Bills chiefs Patriots raiders on schedule 

16 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

We could lose to Pitt and LV and still make it.

True. But the odds get much tougher and the Colts don’t control their destiny under that scenario. I see them going 3-1 and making the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I really want ravens to lose tonight. Jackson is back but they are without Andrews. We need them to lose tonight. Our season is probably done if we lose to the raiders Sunday.

Can't believe I have to root for the Cowboys.  

I kind of feel the season is all but lost if we lose to the Raiders.  We would fall to the 8th spot or even the 9th spot if the Ravens win.  The Ravens end the season with the Browns, Giants, Jags and Bengals, so they will probably finish well and, of course, have the tiebreaker over us.  

However, I would still hold some hope of us winning the final 3 games to get it.  

It's unfortunate that the Titans remaining conference games at the Jags and Texans.  Doesn't look like we can take that tiebreaker away.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Can't believe I have to root for the Cowboys.  

I kind of feel the season is all but lost if we lose to the Raiders.  We would fall to the 8th spot or even the 9th spot if the Ravens win.  The Ravens end the season with the Browns, Giants, Jags and Bengals, so they will probably finish well and, of course, have the tiebreaker over us.  

However, I would still hold some hope of us winning the final 3 games to get it.  

It's unfortunate that the Titans remaining conference games at the Jags and Texans.  Doesn't look like we can take that tiebreaker away.

Just focus one game at a time. This week Colts face a Raiders team that might be without Josh Jacobs and needed a miracle to win. There’s really no point of looking ahead 3 weeks. If we take care of business we don’t need outside help like the Ravens, Pats, and Raiders do.

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Just focus one game at a time. This week Colts face a Raiders team that might be without Josh Jacobs and needed a miracle to win. There’s really no point of looking ahead 3 weeks. If we take care of business we don’t need outside help like the Ravens, Pats, and Raiders do.

Actually the Raiders also control their own destiny.  If they beat us they move into the 7th spot.  

Huge game this week against a team we are in contention with for a playoff spot. 

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

Actually the Raiders also control their own destiny.  If they beat us they move into the 7th spot.  

Huge game this week against a team we are in contention with for a playoff spot. 

It’s a huge game. Assuming Ravens win their next two games and if Colts lose to Raiders, both of those teams have the tiebreaker over Colts. That wouldn’t be good

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I never said it wasn’t we win this week and we have two games on them with 3 to go. My response was you looking at other teams schedules many weeks ahead.

Archived