Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers has played very well lately.

danlhart87

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Marino didn't win a SB, so he isn't "good enough" to win a SB.

Rivers hasn't won a SB, so he isn't a SB-winning QB.

Are you kidding me?  Congratulations on these stellar "opinions"...  Do you want a gold star?

In the event that you are proven wrong, and the Colts do happen to win a SB with Rivers this year, or next year, do you comprehend how much crow you're going to have to eat, just for this thread alone?

How embarrassing would that be?  The rest of us celebrating our teams SB win while you're sitting there with a plate full of crow...:funny:

It's  all about matchups. Chiefs would be a bad one as nobody  can cover hill or kelce. Tomlin and reid are better coaches  than reich so the Steelers  would be a tough match up to.  A third matchup  with the titans  could go either way. The browns would present a tough matchup as well.

7 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Let's put Andrew luck on the Chargers and see how he does

andrew luck his first 3 years had a bottom 5 defense offensive line and running game while his wrs lead the league in drops and were bottom of the league in separation .    luck would have to run for his life every single play throwing balls on a dime and got to the playoffs every year and got to a afc championship game .    rivers is good but luck was special

• Like 1

• Nadine changed the title to Rivers has played very well lately.
14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kinda like how Colts fans did with Manning when he went to Denver.  I am not saying either side is/was wrong in defending their guy but both the Chargers and Colts fans were more emotionally attached to Rivers and Manning than their new teams so their new team fans are more likely to look for flaws that may or may not be there.

Very well said. I still root for Teddy Bridgewater.  Washington fans come to Vikings sites to defend Kirk Cousins.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Let's put Andrew luck on the Chargers and see how he does

I love Rivers. Anyone who knows me knows that I have liked him since his days at NC State. I wanted the Vikings to trade for him in 2016 when Bridgewater got injured. I want him to win a SB. And he is a HoFer.

But please don't denigrate Luck. He was special. To answer your question, with Ladainian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson, and the defense the Chargers had early in his career, Luck may have won the Super Bowl. Luck never had a RB anywhere close to LT. In 2006, LT led the league with 28 TDs!! The best RBs Luck had may have been an older Frank Gore and a backup in Ahmad Bradshaw. 

Anyway, you don't need to put down Luck to defend Rivers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I love Rivers. Anyone who knows me knows that I have liked him since his days at NC State. I wanted the Vikings to trade for him in 2016 when Bridgewater got injured. I want him to win a SB. And he is a HoFer.

But please don't denigrate Luck. He was special. To answer your question, with Ladainian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson, and the defense the Chargers had early in his career, Luck may have won the Super Bowl. Luck never had a RB anywhere close to LT. In 2006, LT led the league with 28 TDs!! The best RBs Luck had may have been an older Frank Gore and a backup in Ahmad Bradshaw. 

Please, please stop saying this stuff. 

Are you all aware that neither LT nor Gates played in the AFCCG for more than a few minutes due to injuries? And Rivers played with a torn ACL?

Have you heard of Marlon McCree and Nate Kaeding, who missed three chip shots in one playoff game, and another easy game-winning FG in another? 

After Marlon McCree’s ridiculous fumble on fourth down, and Brady score, Rivers marched right down the field for the potential game-tying FG and of course Kaeding missed it. And this is separate from the playoff misses mentioned above. 

Also please check out Vincent Jackson’s bone-headed plays in the playoffs. Did you know he was arrested the night before one playoff game for driving under the influence? 

Please stop saying that if Rivers was HOF worthy he would have won those games with these players. It’s patently false and defamatory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

59 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Are you all aware that neither LT nor Gates played in the AFCCG for more than a few minutes due to injuries? And Rivers played with a torn ACL?

Have you heard of Marlon McCree and Nate Kaeding, who missed three chip shots in one playoff game, and another easy game-winning FG in another? 

After Marlon McCree’s ridiculous fumble on fourth down, and Brady score, Rivers marched right down the field for the potential game-tying FG and of course Kaeding missed it. And this is separate from the playoff misses mentioned above. 

Also please check out Vincent Jackson’s bone-headed plays in the playoffs. Did you know he was arrested the night before one playoff game for driving under the influence? 

Please stop saying that if Rivers was HOF worthy he would have won those games with these players. It’s patently false and defamatory. 

This is spot on.

No QB was winning a SB on those Chargers teams.

It's funny that a lot of those same people claimed the current Chargers team was also loaded and ready to make a run at the SB if not for "old washed up Rivers".  Well, they replaced Rivers and are now 3-9 after losing 45-0 yesterday to the Patriots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Andrew Luck was a different type of talent, he is like Mahomes. I love Andrew Luck and he would've been an easy Hall of Famer had he played 12 or 13 years. I hope he reads this because I would tell him to come back. That he has to be bored and our fan base loves you despite a few drunks booing you. 

Having said that I appreciate everything Rivers has done this year and I am happy with Rivers but Rivers is 39. I think we can the SB this year with Rivers but it is a long shot. We will be in the playoffs :thmup:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

This is spot on.

It's funny that a lot of those same people claimed the current Chargers team was also loaded and ready to make a run at the SB if not for "old washed up Rivers".  Well, they replaced Rivers and are now 3-9 after losing 45-0 yesterday to the Patriots.

Anthony Lynn basically made Rivers the scapegoat to save his job. Looks like Rivers was a part time coach of the Chargers who covered up a lot of Lynn’s ineptitude. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

This is spot on.

I haven't called Herbert the piano man for nothing piano man weekend GIF by Radio 10lol, 3-9 speaks by itself. I do think the 2006 team were pretty loaded but the AFC had loaded teams period as in us, the Pats, and Ravens. 

6 hours ago, coming on strong said:

andrew luck his first 3 years had a bottom 5 defense offensive line and running game while his wrs lead the league in drops and were bottom of the league in separation .    luck would have to run for his life every single play throwing balls on a dime and got to the playoffs every year and got to a afc championship game .    rivers is good but luck was special

Not really that bad. I loved Luck...but this narrative about him carrying garbage teams...at least over the first few season...has really become overblown over the years.

In his rookie season...the team was bad overall...the defense was 31st and the OL was ranked 26th in adjusted line yards (RBs) and 17th in adjusted sack rate.

But over the next two seasons...they were much better:

2013 - Overall defense (17), Adjusted line yards (15), adjusted sack rate (6)

2014 - Overall defense (11), Adjusted line yards (16), adjusted sack rate (7)

The Colts weren’t good enough...as we saw with matchups against teams like NE and PIT...but they were a good team...not the awful QB-centric team people seem to remember.

That started to change in 2015 though...right around the time Luck got hurt. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't called Herbert the piano man for nothing piano man weekend GIF by Radio 10lol, 3-9 speaks by itself. I do think the 2006 team were pretty loaded but the AFC had loaded teams period as in us, the Pats, and Ravens. 

The 2006 team was good, and Rivers actually outplayed Brady in the playoff game if you go back and look.

But the Chargers lost due to Marlon McCree fumbling after what should have been the game-sealing INT of Brady, Nate Kaeding missing the FG, and Marty going too conservative after getting a lead.

2007 was the AFC title game loss with no LT, no Gates, and Rivers playing on a torn ACL.

2008 they lost to the Steelers, even though Rivers outplayed Roethlisberger (300+ yards, 3 TDs).  But again, no LT, and the Steelers outrushed the Chargers 165 yards to 15 yards.  Yes, the Chargers only rushed for 15 yards that game.

2009 - by then the window had closed for the Chargers IMO, but they lost to the Jets by 3 after Nate Kaeding went 0-3 on FGs.

The narrative that Rivers was set up to win a SB but couldn't get it done is demonstrably false.  They had good teams from 2006-2008, but failed in the playoffs through no fault of Rivers.  After that window, they never built a legitimate roster or hired a real coach, often times having a bottom 5 OL year after year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Anthony Lynn basically made Rivers the scapegoat to save his job. Looks like Rivers was a part time coach of the Chargers who covered up a lot of Lynn’s ineptitude. 

Lynn is good at blaming others - last season he fired OC Ken Whisenhunt in October the day after the Bolts beat the Bears, but only because their rookie kicker missed a game winning field goal attempt as time expired.

Why he is still employed after that 45-0 home humiliation at the hands of the depleted Patriots is beyond me.

41 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

The 2006 team was good, and Rivers actually outplayed Brady in the playoff game if you go back and look.

But the Chargers lost due to Marlon McCree fumbling after what should have been the game-sealing INT of Brady, Nate Kaeding missing the FG, and Marty going too conservative after getting a lead.

2007 was the AFC title game loss with no LT, no Gates, and Rivers playing on a torn ACL.

2008 they lost to the Steelers, even though Rivers outplayed Roethlisberger (300+ yards, 3 TDs).  But again, no LT, and the Steelers outrushed the Chargers 165 yards to 15 yards.  Yes, the Chargers only rushed for 15 yards that game.

2009 - by then the window had closed for the Chargers IMO, but they lost to the Jets by 3 after Nate Kaeding went 0-3 on FGs.

The narrative that Rivers was set up to win a SB but couldn't get it done is demonstrably false.  They had good teams from 2006-2008, but failed in the playoffs through no fault of Rivers.  After that window, they never built a legitimate roster or hired a real coach, often times having a bottom 5 OL year after year.

Imagine Seattle's fanbase if they have 5 or 6 people like we have lmao . Wilson would be washed up haha  and Tannehill would be garbage to Tennessee fans. 

51 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Lynn is good at blaming others - last season he fired OC Ken Whisenhunt in October the day after the Bolts beat the Bears, but only because their rookie kicker missed a game winning field goal attempt as time expired.

Why he is still employed after that 45-0 home humiliation at the hands of the depleted Patriots is beyond me.

I think Lynn is just as bad as Gase.  But Lynn has had a better roster and a future HOF QB to cover his ineptitude.

4 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Please point out where I wrote that Rivers is not HoF worthy? 

I have been saying that Rivers is a Hall of Fame player for years. Most people did not even know Rivers coming out of college. I remember Rivers beating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. I bet most people don't remember. That is how much of a fan I am of Rivers. I wanted my team to draft Rivers. Even when Eli and Ben were winning Super Bowls, I told people that I would take Rivers over them. I still think he is an overall better QB than they are. JMO.

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have been saying that Rivers is a Hall of Fame player for years. Most people did not even know Rivers coming out of college. I remember Rivers beating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. I bet most people don't remember. That is how much of a fan I am of Rivers. I wanted my team to draft Rivers. Even when Eli and Ben were winning Super Bowls, I told people that I would take Rivers over them. I still think he is an overall better QB than they are. JMO.

What is your connection, or did you just follow college football closely at the time?

Only reason I ask is because I am a lifelong NC State fan and it's great seeing somebody bring up that Gator Bowl.  Little ol' NC State knocked off one of the big dogs and finished #13 that year I believe.  Probably the peak of NC State football.

47 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Apologies, I was speaking to Colts fans in general who say that.  Your comment implied that Luck would have won a SB with the Chargers roster back then. But perhaps I misinterpreted, it’s a sore subject for me. Thx. 

37 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

What is your connection, or did you just follow college football closely at the time?

Only reason I ask is because I am a lifelong NC State fan and it's great seeing somebody bring up that Gator Bowl.  Little ol' NC State knocked off one of the big dogs and finished #13 that year I believe.  Probably the peak of NC State football.

No connection. I would watch college football and I liked the leadership and competitiveness of Rivers. He made things happen. I told many that I thought he would be a star in the NFL. Many did not even know who he was. 

• Like 1