Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich is bad at calling plays.

AKB

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

you cant talk about the colts flaws or your being negative just say keep chopping wood and only speak on the positive .

"you cant talk about the colts bright spots or *you're* being a 'homer', just keep talking about how bad so-and-so is as a player, or how bad so-and-so is as a coach, and only speak on the negative..."

(The above was sarcasm for those who couldn't tell)

Am I doing this right?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was a huge difference. Using Hines with a play up the gut was wrong. Not going for it but the play. The 4th and four was a good call against GB because they used Hines strengths.

I was talking about the 4th and 4 in this game, and I still disagree it was the right call, it just took to long and Houston was able to sub out their DL

48 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Exactly. We can’t be too hard on the guy. Definitely not as much as some here are doing.
But Frank does seem to overthink things sometimes instead of just throwing in the players that make the plays. Was he thinking that since Hines was back there, that the defense wouldn’t expect it up the gut? I want to know the thought process behind it.

The offense was suppose to be in hurry up but their was confusion so it took longer for them to set up, which allowed Houston to sub their DL who were prepared for an interior run

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

The offense was suppose to be in hurry up but their was confusion so it took longer for them to set up, which allowed Houston to sub their DL who were prepared for an interior run

Thank you for the explanation. I was doing other things during the game and didn’t realize they went hurry up. 

It don’t take film study to realize that

1.when running that zone play away from watt... he will always stuff it from the backside because we don’t have the talent to dig him out 

2. DON’T RUN JT FROM SHOT GUN!!... his explosion and decision making is stellar when in single back or I formation

3. 5-7  step drops with Green at tackle is putting a hit out on Philip considering he already moves in quick sand 

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

lets keep it positive here

lucky or not colts just won

Honest question?

Do you really think your "keep it positive" preaching impacts anyone lol?

Why are you so averse to factual discussion about bad play or coaching?

Do you really think winning erases all the bad?

Have you ever been on any other fan board?

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Honest question?

We almost coughed up another huge lead.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Honest question?

I'm usually always a positive person and love to see the good in everyone. 

I realize at the end of the day mistakes were made but coming here and complaining about isn't going change it from happening. 

I am overjoyed with the victory today especially since some want to dwell on the bad i focus on the good.

We got the much needed win in a very tight insanely competitive AFC race to the finish. Titans losing too was super for us too. 

4 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

We almost coughed up another huge lead.

Rodgers set record 

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm usually always a positive person and love to see the good in everyone. 

I realize at the end of the day mistakes were made but coming here and complaining about isn't going change it from happening. 

I am overjoyed with the victory today especially since some want to dwell on the bad i focus on the good.

We got the much needed win in a very tight insanely competitive AFC race to the finish. Titans losing too was super for us too. 

I realize you're a positive person. That's great! Good for you. Sincerely, that's great. Just realize that's your choice, your opinion, and other folks make their own choices and have different opinions. Preaching to others because they don't adhere to your positivity isn't going to attain the outcome you'd like.

The media needs to stop coddling Reich because he’s a nice guy. Each week Bowen, holder, and keefer talk about reich being a great offensive mind and each week Reich shows he is nothing special offensively. The only time this “offensive guru” has looked stellar is with Andrew Luck as his qb. Not taking the 3 in that 4th and 1 situation is inexcusable and running Hines up the middle shows just how deer in the headlights/clueless he is as a play caller.

it is very clear JT is the most talented runner on this team and yet this clown coach consistently takes him off the field for marginal talents like Wilkins and Hines. Early in the season it was understandable to give Reich a pass for this as the game seemed to be moving too fast for Taylor but lately it is apparent that The speed is slowing down for Taylor. Playing Hines in a Gio Bernard/Austin ekeler type change of pace/pass catcher role is fine because that is his skill set. Trying to use Hines as a short yardage back is foolish because he is never going to be able to push the pile or win with power in the hole 1 on 1. Playing Wilkins at all is just wasting away one of your most talented players on the sideline for a career 3rd stringer. To be facing a terrible run defense, with your 3rd string left tackle you would think it would be obvious that you need to run the ball with your best rb, but instead deep in the 3rd qrtr our top rb had 3 carries and our statue qb was getting sacked because of a leaky left tackle.

Reich job is to put the talent in the best situation to succeed. Once again in this game he did not do that. Everytime JT got the ball he was dragging tacklers, yet the majority of the game he was sitting on the sidelines and Reich was going pass happy. The reason this game was a dogfight was because of Reich’s ineptitude as a coach. I understand the players like him and that’s great but the players also liked pagano and Caldwell. At what point does the coach get called out for the same mistakes over and over? Reich needs to be better offensively or he needs to handoff the reins.People can claim all they want that Rathman is responsible for the rb rotation but at the end of the day it is Reich’s team and he is responsible for who does and does not step foot on the field. 

9 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

The media needs to stop coddling Reich because he’s a nice guy. Each week Bowen, holder, and keefer talk about reich being a great offensive mind and each week Reich shows he is nothing special offensively. The only time this “offensive guru” has looked stellar is with Andrew Luck as his qb. Not taking the 3 in that 4th and 1 situation is inexcusable and running Hines up the middle shows just how deer in the headlights/clueless he is as a play caller.

it is very clear JT is the most talented runner on this team and yet this clown coach consistently takes him off the field for marginal talents like Wilkins and Hines. Early in the season it was understandable to give Reich a pass for this as the game seemed to be moving too fast for Taylor but lately it is apparent that The speed is slowing down for Taylor. Playing Hines in a Gio Bernard/Austin ekeler type change of pace/pass catcher role is fine because that is his skill set. Trying to use Hines as a short yardage back is foolish because he is never going to be able to push the pile or win with power in the hole 1 on 1. Playing Wilkins at all is just wasting away one of your most talented players on the sideline for a career 3rd stringer. To be facing a terrible run defense, with your 3rd string left tackle you would think it would be obvious that you need to run the ball with your best rb, but instead deep in the 3rd qrtr our top rb had 3 carries and our statue qb was getting sacked because of a leaky left tackle.

Reich job is to put the talent in the best situation to succeed. Once again in this game he did not do that. Everytime JT got the ball he was dragging tacklers, yet the majority of the game he was sitting on the sidelines and Reich was going pass happy. The reason this game was a dogfight was because of Reich’s ineptitude as a coach. I understand the players like him and that’s great but the players also liked pagano and Caldwell. At what point does the coach get called out for the same mistakes over and over? Reich needs to be better offensively or he needs to handoff the reins.People can claim all they want that Rathman is responsible for the rb rotation but at the end of the day it is Reich’s team and he is responsible for who does and does not step foot on the field. 

I agree bill bellichick  would have blew out the texans with our personnel.  There is a chance the Patriots  could make the playoffs  and if they do they are the last team I'd want to face

14 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Terrible play calling once again to finish out a game, or lose a game. Convince me otherwise. 

You also have to take into consideration that they are also using analytics to make these calls as well. I think he should have went for 3 to make it a two score game but the data may have said they could have had a high percentage of converting on that 4th down. 

I thought right after the WR screen pass to Pittman, at the HOU 7 yard line, the announcer said that it looked like 4 down territory.  Not that he's an expert but going for it there is not a unique opinion.

You convert, you likely seal the game.  I think Frank likes to seal the game with offense rather than defense.

No RB would have converted that.  I think we have shown that our oline is not stout enough to win when in tight alignment in those situations.

I would like to see Sirianni call plays. Frank is supposedly obsessed with not being predictable, but that's exactly what he is. We can call the plays from our couch. I read Parks Frazier is a guy on the team who reviews the teams tendencies: 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/10/07/insider-exploring-colts-tendencies-why-frank-reich-might-nfls-most-unpredictable-play-callerf/5907697002/

^.......ummmm........^

This staff's thinking that all players are plug and play in their system is also bind boggling. I'd rather see them play (or draw up plays) to each player's strengths. (Not only using Harris for jet sweeps) 

I've yelled about Hines being ran up the middle for 2 seasons. The dude is great in space, stop using him like a bruiser back.

That TD that he ran in sure looked like it was supposed to go up the middle (again) and he bounced it to the outside where it should've been in the first place. 

I thought Reich has said, they'll go with the hot hand, yet Jonathon Taylor is on the bench ?

LeRaven went down, and they put in Green at LT and didn't have the TE's chip very much at all. You expect the 3rd string LT to be as good as AC is?? 

12 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"you cant talk about the colts bright spots or *you're* being a 'homer', just keep talking about how bad so-and-so is as a player, or how bad so-and-so is as a coach, and only speak on the negative..."

(The above was sarcasm for those who couldn't tell)

Am I doing this right?

My point went over your head. I was talking about fans who get so upset when someone points out a flaw on the colts .  I talk about both the flaws and the positives . Every one should be able to talk about both without personal attacks . That was my point , but for some reason you took it as me saying we can only talk about the negatives of the team .the   Point of a forum is to discuss the whole team .People have their own way of being a fan ,and that is okay .    

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

4pe3lh.jpg

Cmon. You opened a thread about Rivers in a desire to clown his 'haters' now you're here saying folks should just 'enjoy the win'. Why didn't you just enjoy the win rather than bringing up the QB? 

It's a legit thread, allow folks comment on it without you shooting down their comments by saying 'be happy'. 

On the subject at hand, going for it was correct but the play call needs to be washed, rinsed, and forever stowed away. These runs up the gut have gotten out of hand and are just not producing results. The question is whether these calls are on Reich or Rivers. I don't remember a lot of this happening in the one year Frank Reich had with Andrew Luck...I welcome being corrected on this.

17 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I really like his aggressive play-calling, every once in awhile he has some bad play calls but overall I'm happy with it.

Aggressive play-calling - by itself - is not often a 'good thing'. It has to be combined with intelligence, game context and timing to be effective and efficient. In Sunday's game, the context was wrong. The reason it was wrong has to do (IMO) with an underlying lack of confidence of the team's longer-term resilience. He took a risk of possible short-term gain (getting a first down) over the longer-term benefit. If you go back through the games this year, there seems to be a pattern of lack of confidence in the teams ability to perform. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

At least, this is what I see.

Sometimes Reich calls a good game, I think for example he probably called a good game against Green Bay.

But I agree there are a lot of games in which Reich's play calling is a bit of a head scratcher.  

Going for it on 4th and 1 with 6 minutes to go and up by 6 is already questionable enough.  Doing it by handing the ball off to our smallest running back out of a shotgun snap is just over the top silly.

I probably would have kicked the FG in that situation.  If it's that situation in the first quarter I'm all for going for it.  But with 6 minutes left to go in the game a nearly guaranteed 3 points making it a 2 score game would make scoring twice fairly difficult for Watson.

Then of course after going for it the play call was just flat terrible.  

Jacoby needs to be running the QB sneak in those situations.  

Overall I still support Frank Reich as the head coach of this team.  Being a HC is about a lot more than play calling in critical downs and Reich is good at most of it.   Unlike Pagano his team's always look prepared and Reich doesn't often lose games against clearly inferior teams.  (I will give him a bit of a pass on week 1 due to Rivers not having much time to get settled in.  Every QB with a new team lost that week except for Newton.)

I just hopes he starts reviewing some of his play calling and figures out what doesn't work and what does.   

Someone please help me understand how going for it on 4th and 1 in that spot was the right call. Seriously, help me understand. 

A. If you believe the Texans will score on offense when you give them the ball back - then you take the points and play for the final possession given how much time was left (6 minutes). More than enough time for the Texans to tie the game and the Colts to score on the last drive of the game to win.

B. If you believe the Colts D will hold the Texans from scoring than you take the 3 and win the game. I suppose the idea being 2 scores puts the game out of reach BUT that only matters if you think the Texans will score in which case you take the points (see A).

I dont particularly care to hear about the analytics unless you quote specific Colts analytics. The Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks and Colts have wildly different teams and there's no analytics that works for all 4 when winning by 4 in FG range with 6 minutes left.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Sometimes Reich calls a good game, I think for example he probably called a good game against Green Bay.

But I agree there are a lot of games in which Reich's play calling is a bit of a head scratcher.  

Going for it on 4th and 1 with 6 minutes to go and up by 6 is already questionable enough.  Doing it by handing the ball off to our smallest running back out of a shotgun snap is just over the top silly.

I probably would have kicked the FG in that situation.  If it's that situation in the first quarter I'm all for going for it.  But with 6 minutes left to go in the game a nearly guaranteed 3 points making it a 2 score game would make scoring twice fairly difficult for Watson.

Then of course after going for it the play call was just flat terrible.  

Jacoby needs to be running the QB sneak in those situations.  

We were only up 4 when we went for it and I agree with going for it because we could've put the game away by going up 11. I disagree'd with the play call though, running Hines up the middle on 4th and 1 was puzzling.

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

Someone please help me understand how going for it on 4th and 1 in that spot was the right call. Seriously, help me understand. 

A. If you believe the Texans will score on offense when you give them the ball back - then you take the points and play for the final possession given how much time was left (6 minutes). More than enough time for the Texans to tie the game and the Colts to score on the last drive of the game to win.

B. If you believe the Colts D will hold the Texans from scoring than you take the 3 and win the game. I suppose the idea being 2 scores puts the game out of reach BUT that only matters if you think the Texans will score in which case you take the points (see A).

I dont particularly care to hear about the analytics unless you quote specific Colts analytics. The Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks and Colts have wildly different teams and there's no analytics that works for all 4 when winning by 4 in FG range with 6 minutes left.

It wasn't the right call . . . although I think Reich was thinking "We're so close, a TD puts this game away, while a FG just makes things a lot tougher on them."  So I somewhat understand his line of thinking there.

At the time I actually thought Rivers was going to just try and draw them offsides.  Was surprised that he snapped it.

What is inexcusable is the playcall on the 4th and 1.  If you are going to do that the right playcall is Jacoby with the sneak.  

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Frank has the look of a deer in the headlights.  It took an absolute miracle to happen for us to win this game.  Over and ever again we see his failed play calling, game planning, clock management. and lately undisciplined play by the team.  Everyone wants to give him the benefit of the doubt but this is getting ridiculous.  We managed to get a miracle win today despite his display of ineptitude.  This is a good team and roster but it is starting to look like he's going to hold us back.  And it appears there is nothing that can be done to prevent it.  What a shame.  

Must have been a student of Jim Caldwell?

Reich needs to sit down and have a talk with himself. He should probably delegate play-calling to Sirianni - not because Frank can't do it, but because he has other, greater responsibilities to focus on. It seems he loses focus on how the tactics fit in with the strategy.

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It wasn't the right call . . . although I think Reich was thinking "We're so close, a TD puts this game away, while a FG just makes things a lot tougher on them."  So I somewhat understand his line of thinking there.

At the time I actually thought Rivers was going to just try and draw them offsides.  Was surprised that he snapped it.

What is inexcusable is the playcall on the 4th and 1.  If you are going to do that the right playcall is Jacoby with the sneak.  

Agreed.  Jacoby sneak/option, JT power run, or Rivers pass.  Those should have been the only three options, aside from kicking the FG.

It is very easy to criticize Frank on a bad play called while completely disregarding or overlooking the excellent play called on the 4th and 4 TD pass to Taylor. 

Did I like the play called with Hines? Heck no but I am not going to over react. 

Taking personal shots at him is fatuous. 

4 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Agreed.  Jacoby sneak/option, JT power run, or Rivers pass.  Those should have been the only three options, aside from kicking the FG.

I wouldn't even have the Rivers pass in there.  

I would send JB in looking for the QB sneak but if they are really crowding around the center he can audible to an outside run or if nothing else a quick toss to a TE.   But the first option should always be the sneak.  QB sneaks gain you 1 yard over 80% of the time.  All other plays are only 60%.   And honestly given Jacoby's size and how good our OL is, I strongly believe for the Colt's situation you can add 5 to 10% to those chances.  

IMO it would take either a botched snap or a really extra ordinary good push by the DL to stop it.  

Looks to me like we’ve found out how to use our personnel on defense finally but haven’t figured out that running up the middle on 4th and 1 with our smallest back isn’t the best thing to do..we’re just not playing to our strengths at all our tightends should feast every game tbh we don’t take advantage of matchups put hines out wide and keep Taylor in the backfield create some confusion 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It is very easy to criticize Frank on a bad play called while completely disregarding or overlooking the excellent play called on the 4th and 4 TD pass to Taylor. 

Did I like the play called with Hines? Heck no but I am not going to over react. 

I've been pretty clear I didn't like the 4th and 1 call but I think you are correct here.  I think the plays that don't go the way you want them to stick out more than the ones that do.  

I will still advocate for the QB sneak on any situation where we only need to gain a yard.  

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

True. Even the great Belichick has had his share of 4th down criticisms. 

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Aggressive play-calling - by itself - is not often a 'good thing'. It has to be combined with intelligence, game context and timing to be effective and efficient. In Sunday's game, the context was wrong. The reason it was wrong has to do (IMO) with an underlying lack of confidence of the team's longer-term resilience. He took a risk of possible short-term gain (getting a first down) over the longer-term benefit. If you go back through the games this year, there seems to be a pattern of lack of confidence in the teams ability to perform. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

At least, this is what I see.

I disagree it was a smart move, you either get a first down (or like the last 4th down a td) or you turn the ball over where the opponents offense is in a very bad spot and you can possibly get a safety. Which they did adding two points and getting the ball late in the game. I'd say if you have a problem with play calling it should be with the last drive not the 4th down because it was a tactical risk that in the end won because Frank had faith in his defenses ability.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

You want to understand the answer but you don't care to hear about analytics. Essentially, you don't want the answer.

57 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Must have been a student of Jim Caldwell?

Reich needs to sit down and have a talk with himself. He should probably delegate play-calling to Sirianni - not because Frank can't do it, but because he has other, greater responsibilities to focus on. It seems he loses focus on how the tactics fit in with the strategy.

Or a student of Andy Reid.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I realize you're a positive person. That's great! Good for you. Sincerely, that's great. Just realize that's your choice, your opinion, and other folks make their own choices and have different opinions. Preaching to others because they don't adhere to your positivity isn't going to attain the outcome you'd like.

Cant blame fans for being upset with the offense under performing this season. Our defense has grown to a championship level, and the offensive coaching is a liability to the team. We have enough talent on offense to be better. The players are getting it done despite poor coaching. Ballard needs to consider some changes if this coaching staff cant get it done down the stretch.

33 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I disagree it was a smart move, you either get a first down (or like the last 4th down a td) or you turn the ball over where the opponents offense is in a very bad spot and you can possibly get a safety. Which they did adding two points and getting the ball late in the game. I'd say if you have a problem with play calling it should be with the last drive not the 4th down because it was a tactical risk that in the end won because Frank had faith in his defenses ability.

We won because of a fluke snap...

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

We won because of a fluke snap...

Should have been a play action pass on 4th or a better designed run with JT and Brissett in there.

Archived